• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So we have a 30TF GPU now. Do you still think it's a good idea to launch a 4TF "NG"-console alongside in 2020?

If it's like the switch and comes with a 5" phone screen at 720p 30fps I don't see an issue otherwise it was always a tragical idea for xbox series x exclusives. [double the work for xbox studios]

FStubbs

If it's like the switch and comes with a 5" phone screen at 720p 30fps I don't see an issue otherwise it was always a tragical idea for xbox series x exclusives. [double the work for xbox studios]

It won't be like the Switch if it's 4TF. You'll be lucky if Switch 2 gets to half of that.

Neo_game

30tf console is getting wasted if it is going to have Halo infinite gfx. IMHO gimped next gen console is bad idea. Let the PS5 and X be the base console and may be in some years we may have RTX 3070 or even 3080 equivalent mid gen upgrade ?

Last edited:

RayHell

I played Fallout 4 the other day on my PC, what a boring generic game with boring story and ugly art direction. But then I put a 30TF graphic card in my PC and boom. All of sudden the game was so fun and the story so interesting. I even now have a crisp 4K resolution to show the ugly art direction. Who needs console now that we can render a 8K 1000fps pile of horse shit.

Reindeer

The 30 tflop number is irrelevant. Ampere does 2 shader calculations per clock as opposed to one on Turing and that's why those tflop numbers are so high, but tflops on Ampere don't scale 1:1 when it comes to performance compared to Turing. You can see this when 3070 is around the same performance as 2080Ti but it has 7 tflops more (20), in reality you basically looking at 3070 having around 13.5 (same as 2080ti) Turing tlops since the two cards are on par when it comes to performance. 3080 is probably 18.5-19.5 Turing tflops (around 40% faster than 2080ti), and 3090 is likely around 23-24 tfllops.

Tflops are pretty much irrelevant going forward and are just gonna confuse people if they try to use them as some kind of measurement when comparing GPUs with different architectures. The following video explains why 30 series high tflop numbers are irrelevant, watch from 02:44.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should they stop making Hyundai because there is Mercedes-Benz?

Let's be real here: Nvidia's rocking Bugatti Veyron and Pagani Zondas here if we're saying MS and Sony have Hyundais :goog_biggrin:

The 30 tflop number is irrelevant since 30 series uses different design for its die that results in much higher tflop number that doesn't translate to real world performance gain. 3070 is around the same performance as 2080Ti but it has 7 tflops more, in reality you basically looking at 3070 having around 13.5 (same as 2080ti) Turing tlops since the two cards are on par when it comes to performance. 3080 is probably 18.5-19.5 Turing tflops (around 40% faster than 2080ti), and 3090 is likely around 23-24 tfllops.

Tflops are pretty much irrelevant going forward and are just gonna confuse people if they try to use them as some kind of measurement stick. The following video explains why 30 series tflops are irrelevant, watch from 02:44.

D A M A G E C O N T R O L. S P I N S P I N S P I N ! ! !

You guys must've missed the memo that Ampere is the newer architecture, not Turing. And it has at least 10% more IPC over Turing. But hey, maybe you guys know more about Nvidia's hardware than Nvidia themselves, what a weird world that'd turn out to be xD.

Last edited:

sinnergy

You can really tell that consoles are budget PCs, see all that power that was presented yesterday, Sony and MS could have easily matched this, now they gave this whole console generation away / sarcasm

Neolombax

Yes. I don't plan to dish out that much money for my gaming needs. An upgrade to my base PS4 is already a win for me, thanks.

GetemMa

I have 3 children. My friends have children. Kids don't give a shit about 4K ray traced with HDR and TF numbers. Is it fun? does it look good?

If the kid has an old 1080p screen in his room, he will be happy to play next gen games on it. That is the market Lockart will serve. It's a good idea if the price is low enough.

MS is spreading itself out and hitting all possible parts of the market. I'm not convinced it saves them from having mediocre 1st party game output but it's a smart strategy regardless.

Chastten

Banned
"A 0,05TF console is selling like hotcakes, as are budget smartphones. Do you still think it's wise to release a €1500 30TF graphics card?"

What about the mobo, and ram, and CPU, and power supply, and os software, and cooling supply, and case, and monitor, and kb+m. Add that to the price.
Peaplo (like me)that are in the market for hardware like that already have a PC. And contrary to a console those are modular.

Kadve

Because cheaper = Better in eyes of parents.

Why do you think the gameboy sold so much better than the gamegear? Hint: it wasn't because because of the poor battery life of the later.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm buying a Series S so yes, son plays on a 1080p Plasma TV, so it will be perfect gift this Xmas. Set it as my primary console so he gets all my Gamepass and games and he'll be happy. I'll be on my Series X.

Dodkrake

Banned
TF don't matter. The Series S is a console for the 1080p / 1440p gamer that doesn't want ray tracing, just to play the new games. A 30TF graphics card is, at the moment, a waste of money, and only for those that want to max everything at 4k with full raytracing on a PC. Completely different market. The Series S should scale nicely with Series X games.

Allandor

Consoles are always about price vs performance compromises. PC will always be the best, therefore you pay much more money for your desired performance target.

This is why MS playing the 'teraflops game' with '12 tf' marketing was always going to end up looking stupid!

30 tflops cards are launching this month, and AMD's own RDNA2 will reach similar numbers. What's important are the games.

36 TFs for RTX 3090 with excellent I/O solution. Xbox went for TFs and forgot everything else. They will be left in the dust.

BGs

Industry Professional
There will always be people with money who want to buy a Ferrari 800CV. Even if it's just to be able to say "look, I'm a Road Master Race and I have this Ferrari, and your Honda Civic sucks because it only has 140CV". It does not matter that both can sooner or later reach 200km/h when in reality the speed limit is 120km/h.

But, as I always say, everyone does what they want with their money. Obviously. Likewise... Have you ever stopped to think what needs to be done to take advantage of the 3090? It is not enough to buy it.

Last edited:
There will always be people with money who want to buy a Ferrari 800CV. Even if it's just to be able to say "look, I have this Ferrari, and your Honda Civic sucks because it only has 140CV". It does not matter that both can sooner or later reach 200km/h when in reality the speed limit is 120km/h.

But, as I always say, everyone does what they want with their money. Obviously. Likewise... Have you ever stopped to think what needs to be done to take advantage of the 3090? It is not enough to buy it.
You hurt my feelings 😭😭😭😭
My Honda Civic sucks 😢😢😢

• LOL
Reactions: BGs

TimFL

Yes, because consoles will still determine your PC experience.

That being said, a GPU is only part of a system.

Reactions: BGs

tkscz

Are we really asking this again? Did we learn nothing from the PS1, PS2, Wii and Switch?

Only we gamers, we nerds of the internet give a flying fuck about TFs. For the average person, price is the name of the game.

Even nVidia learned this with the 3070 being priced at $499 (or was it $599?). All the power of their 2080, and their best selling card of that gen was the GTX 1660.

So yes, a 4TF weaker version of a console is still perfectly fine to release to a public where enthusiast are the minority and everyone could care less.

NoviDon

Peaplo (like me)that are in the market for hardware like that already have a PC. And contrary to a console those are modular.
Yeah but he was implying that the 3080 is only 200 dollars more, console gamers should get that instead because its 3x performance. He would have a point... if, like you, I didn't have to invest from the beginning, and buy every part to go with it.

llien

30TF GPU

This figure is highly misleading.
E.g. 3070 is "20TF GPU" but is touted as merely "=2080Ti", which is, wait for it, 13.7TF.

RobRSG

All I know is that I bought a 2070 Super in April and am already thinking about getting rid of it in favor of a 3080.

Papacheeks

Banned
The 30 tflop number is irrelevant. Ampere does 2 shader calculations per clock as opposed to one on Turing and that's why those tflop numbers are so high, but tflops on Ampere don't scale 1:1 when it comes to performance compared to Turing. You can see this when 3070 is around the same performance as 2080Ti but it has 7 tflops more (20), in reality you basically looking at 3070 having around 13.5 (same as 2080ti) Turing tlops since the two cards are on par when it comes to performance. 3080 is probably 18.5-19.5 Turing tflops (around 40% faster than 2080ti), and 3090 is likely around 23-24 tfllops.

Tflops are pretty much irrelevant going forward and are just gonna confuse people if they try to use them as some kind of measurement when comparing GPUs with different architectures. The following video explains why 30 series high tflop numbers are irrelevant, watch from 02:44.

Thank you!!

This has been what I've been trying to tell people. That those nvidia slides are literally just puff slides. They are not based on anything other than a combined theoretical computation of all the cuda/tensor cores multiplied by frequency and memory bandwidth/ throughoutput.

Like people really ate those slides, and are making dumb-ass threads.

All I know is that I bought a 2070 Super in April and am already thinking about getting rid of it in favor of a 3080.

I feel bad for anyone who bought a 2000 series card. You got caught up in that NVIDIA TAX.

30TF GPU

This figure is highly misleading.
E.g. 3070 is "20TF GPU" but is touted as merely "=2080Ti", which is, wait for it, 13.7TF.

Ah, jesus thank god I'm seeing people who are able to think for themselves and not drink the nvidia Kool-aid slides. People on here seem to have no grasp what so ever of tech. That also goes for some youtubers.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Was thinking more of graphics professional usage myself, you know productivity like 3D modelling and whatnot.
Its just so far above the current minimum, I'd expect it to be rarely required or really factored in.

Got to be honest too, the recent advancements in AI image processing have got me wondering if the diminishing returns on increasing resolution aren't going to kick in even harder going forwards.

RobRSG

I feel bad for anyone who bought a 2000 series card. You got caught up in that NVIDIA TAX.

It’s fine, unfortunately it is not the first time I buy something and it is outdated some months later. :)

*Hiding the pain*

Last edited:
Top Bottom