• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...what is Halo to you?

Defect

It didnt get better, it just got different.
The only thing I don't like is Sprint. Remove that and thrust and you got your "classic" Halo gameplay right there. Even then it's better than Halo 3, Reach and 4 so it definitely got better.

I took off my Halo 3 nostalgia glasses years ago.

Slower-paced combat with a focus on small scale, and vertical encounters and short bursts of action. Halo as a franchise ended at the third game for me, that's what Halo was and is!

steeljungle7

Neo Member
I consider myself a "new" fan of the series. I played Halo and Halo 2 on the original Xbox but it was not until the release of the Master Chief Collection that made me a fan. My friends and I played through the entire collection and also played ODST and Reach and then Halo 5. I did not like Halo 4 or Halo 5 (at all - they're bad, very not good at all).

TLDR: Getting pissed off and screaming at the games with my friends playing through on legendary (especially Halo 2).

Also love:
-Music
-Lore
-Arb./Chief

Halo 3 is probably my favorite multiplayer game of all time. I liked the fact that I didn't die every time p seconds and actually felt like I could fight my opponents if that makes any sense.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A washed out series from the 2000s. Everything was going to be the Halo killer, but then Halo killed itself.

The only thing I don't like is Sprint. Remove that and thrust and you got your "classic" Halo gameplay right there. Even then it's better than Halo 3, Reach and 4 so it definitely got better.

I think simply the removal of sprint would do wonders...

Sprint gives players too much momentum and speed to reach places that wouldn't have been possible before--and in record time. Not only that, but it breaks core map design in a way that I think compromises what was established beforehand.

I don't hate sprint simply because it's different, but if anyone spends a good amount of time forging a map in Halo 5, suddenly you realize making a balanced map is incredibly difficult with thrust+clamber. It becomes a nightmare to balance sight lines and map flow. It's too chaotic and messy. I would say that part of the reason Halo 5 has such "meh" maps is because of this problem.

Look at Truth for example (Halo 2's Midship or Halo 3's Heretic remake). It had to be stretched really far and wide, but even with it being so stretched, players can get to Top Mid (one of the most important vantage points in the map) within 2 seconds of the start of the match with sprint + thrust + clamber. Immediately a classic map is destroyed.

Halo 3

To this day I adore the way Halo 3 looks. The clean colors. no bloom, blur, or shiny metallic surfaces. Just clean colors that popped and were easy on the eyes. Maps like Valhalla, Guardian, Avalanche, etc. are still better and more memorable than anything I've played in Halo 4 & 5 and a good amount of why I feel that way is because of the use of color and overall map design.

It isn't just the layout of not just the multiplayer maps either but the campaign levels themselves. Open enough to be a sandbox while still being able o lead you down a path. I played 3's campaign many times and each time my friends and I made it a different experience. Not to even mention the sound design, music, or the mechanics of the MP, which practically changed my life. Halo 3's MP was fun.

I miss the days of Halo 3. BTB CTF Rat's Nest, Avalanche, and such will always be with me.

scoobs

Master Chief, Cortana, and the UNSC fighting to save humanity from the Covenant and the Flood. Nothing they've done outside of this has been remotely interesting.

The best shooter. The best balance of story, gameplay and multiplayer. There are shooter that beats Halo in those aspects but Halo manages to deliver a good product on all those aspects.
Certainly the last campaign left me a bad impression but as an overall series is unmatched, imo.

Goldboy

Halo 3
To this day I adore the way Halo 3 looks. The clean colors. no bloom, blur, or shiny metallic surfaces. Just clean colors that popped and were easy on the eyes. Maps like Valhalla, Guardian, Avalanche, etc. are still better and more memorable than anything I've played in Halo 4 & 5 and a good amount of why I feel that way is because of the use of color and overall map design.

I think you nailed it in regards to the way Halo 3 looks. Halo 3 had a look to it that I've always adored but couldn't quite place. To this day it's one of my favorite games to play just because of how much I love the art direction and general "feel" of the maps.

As much as I enjoy Halo 5, none of the maps are memorable to me. I don't even remember what most of them are called. A large part of that comes down to the way the game looks in comparison its predecessors.

Cranster

Banned
It's hard to entirely sum it up. In alot of ways though there is no other FPS IP like it. Things have changed over the years between game's and developers of course (for better or worse). But it is my most favorite videogame franchise to this day.

Wollan

Halo made fps genre work on consoles.
Goldeneye, Red Faction... great games but it was all little-brother stuff to the PC scene until Halo.
It felt majestic in the 1-3 period.

Halo 1. All-time classic. The 'golden triangle' gameplay design. The aim & vehicle controls. The scope and physics. The soundtrack. The mystery. Blood Gulch. Day 1.
Halo 2. New FPS MP standard. Interesting universe but ho-hum campaign.
Halo 3. Incredible feature-set. Large scale campaign. Worthy trilogy conclusion despite story going downhills. Weird constant frame-skip due to background recording(?) and so-so image quality.
Halo Wars: Hoped it would do to rts genre (for console) what it did to fps but nope. Small scope.
Halo ODST. Didn't finish.
Halo Reach. Really polished, finally good character design, and no dips in campaign quality tho formula was starting to get a bit old.
Halo 4. Great graphics and smooth campaign. Disappointing new enemy faction (implementation, idea was good). Great soundtrack. Story very lacking.

Takashi

Regarding single player, it's the story of Master Chief and friends. Halo 2 got me hooked into the series with its campaign. The original trilogy as a whole was fantastic with its story, level design, and especially Marty's music.

4's story was really weak and one of its bigger offenses was the space jesus bullshit that all prior events weren't because of Chief's own perseverance but in fact fated from the beginning. Terrible retcon lol, honestly hope it gets forgotten about. 5's campaign was alright, but too barebones with character interactions and dialogue.

With multiplayer, it was having LAN parties with old friends playing Halo 2/3. I've had a lot of fun times online as well, but it gets harder to do so with Halo's slow decline. The dwindling userbase is now usually made up of experienced players, so it's difficult to just hop on and dick around online when you mostly get matched up with full teams of tryhards.

Released

It'll always be Halo: Combat Evolved. The revolutionary controls for console FPS. The open, sandbox nature of the gunfights. The mystery of the world and of the Halo ring, how alien the architecture is. The mystery of the Covenant, with their unclear motives and unknown social systems. And even despite their mysterious nature, they manage more personality than most enemies in shooter games. The pride of the Elites and the fear in the Grunts. What a great game.

The sequels lost a lot of what I liked. I don't even play newer entries anymore.

jem0208

I think simply the removal of sprint would do wonders...

Sprint gives players too much momentum and speed to reach places that wouldn't have been possible before--and in record time. Not only that, but it breaks core map design in a way that I think compromises what was established beforehand.

I don't hate sprint simply because it's different, but if anyone spends a good amount of time forging a map in Halo 5, suddenly you realize making a balanced map is incredibly difficult with thrust+clamber. It becomes a nightmare to balance sight lines and map flow. It's too chaotic and messy. I would say that part of the reason Halo 5 has such "meh" maps is because of this problem.

Look at Truth for example (Halo 2's Midship or Halo 3's Heretic remake). It had to be stretched really far and wide, but even with it being so stretched, players can get to Top Mid (one of the most important vantage points in the map) within 2 seconds of the start of the match with sprint + thrust + clamber. Immediately a classic map is destroyed.
Have you played the Proving Grounds playlist yet?

Really makes a difference, makes the game play a bit slower by encouraging more running and much less sprinting, IMO it's an excellent blend of classic and new Halo.

Prologue

An above average franchise that's nothing special.

Timesplitters is and has always been better

Just completely revolutionized not only the FPS scene, but the online gaming world as we knew it back then. Nothings special though, right?

If only the MCC was perfect without any glitches. I would have been extremely happy with that.

Kthulhu

A franchise that has had most of my love for it sucked out since Bungie left it and 343 took over. I haven't​ played Halo Wars 2 yet, and I hope it can still live up to the legacy like the first one.

What's with all the Xbox-related question or concern threads, this weekend?

MS has disappointed a lot of it's hardcore fans this gen.

I was initially hesitant to go from the 360 to the PS4, Halo being one of the main reasons, but after seeing how 5 turned out, no regrets.

A series that causes people to dog pile on it any chance they get to shit on the current devs and games because their rose tented glasses seemed to of gotten stuck to their face. Can't remember the last time a constructive thread was created on here about halo.

Halo to me is still the same thing it's always been. An interesting universe, good music and the best feeling multiplayer and gameplay in any fps.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Made this quite a while back to show how they can't get the game looking right and has been this way on everything 343 touched.

bloom, fog, shiny or unreal like textures and bad maps, broken sight lines, bad movement and yeah if you like Halo 5 eh... then you don't like Halo imo
http://i.imgur.com/Tda9TQq.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

lol. This makes zero sense.

Have you played the Proving Grounds playlist yet?

Really makes a difference, makes the game play a bit slower by encouraging more running and much less sprinting, IMO it's an excellent blend of classic and new Halo.

I would really like to try it! However, I still think sprint takes away some of the core pillars of Halo map design that a radar cannot possibly fix. Regardless, I'm really glad to see 343 trying that, sounds great.

Is the proving grounds settings just a temporary test or are they going to keep it?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Well balanced sandbox that rewards the most thoughtful, aware, and skilled players. The golden triangle of guns, grenades, melees, and Spartan abilities (yeah, that was on purpose). Large scale environments coupled with fun though wacky vehicle physics. Sadly this last point has largely been absent since ce, certainly since odst/reach. Finally, it's about the unknown and mysterious. The space opera. Again, lacking post bungie.

I love all the games individually for what they offer and the others lack.

Halo is the only game I need. For real. Halo 5's mp is the best yet. For real.

Halo 1 is the reason I bought an Xbox in the first place. Halo 2 is one of the only games I bought a limited/special edition for. Halo 3 is the reason I bought an Xbox 360.

Halo 4 is the reason I no longer buy Xbox hardware, particularly now that the few exclusives I care about on Xbox will now come out on PC.

SkyOdin

For me, Halo was a solid series for playing couch co-op with my brother. I would man the turret on the Warthog while my brother drove.

Sadly, couch co-op was clearly relegated to being less important than fancy graphics starting with Reach, got worse in 4, and was cut entirely for 5, so I drifted away from the series. Halo 3 was where the series peaked for me.

psyfi

Banned
For me it's 85% 4v4 arena multiplayer, 10% BTB / casual multiplayer, and 5% PvE stuff. It's easily my favorite multiplayer ever, and I'm still so excited that 343 changed directions after Halo 4 and brought us Halo 5. It's easily my favorite Halo multiplayer ever. After Halo 4 and MCC I had zero faith, but they actually pulled it off.

Doran902

My first online mp experience ( halo 2 / 3) that I loved playing and went from one of my favorite things ever to something that I am not completely bored with and over.

An epic sci-fi, where the world I was in felt huge. Where the levels and gameplay were engaging. Where the music was mystical, adding more to your epic adventure.

And the fun multiplayer with colored robot looking dudes shooting each other with colorful weapons and riding their vehicles willy-nilly.

The negative replies in this thread make me sad although I can't deny some of it. I think the competitive FPS market has forever shifted away from Halo and I think 343 is trying to mix things up a little which steers the franchise away from what it once was. I can't blame them for trying to keep things fresh but they are alienating a lot of fans.

The reason I bought Halo for pc as a kid was because I thought the Master Chief looked cool. I was totally into the story and the design on everything was just so damn cool to me back then (I still think it is!). 343 has the heart in the right place but they unknowingly steer away from the greatness that Halo once was, both story-wise and game play wise.

opricnik

Banned

reach and destiny are evolution of halo gameplay not 4-5 .

gatti-man

I don't even know anymore. Both 4&5 left me feeling like they were mediocre shooters with good multiplayer. Halo 1-3 you could play over and over. The single player and multi were both excellent. Not good or ok, excellent.

Halo 6 needs to completely abondone 5s structure. It was tedious to play through that awful story. Reduce the pay to win elements in warzone and spice up the gameplay a bit. Destiny played like I wish Halo 5 did.

Top Bottom