• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is the hardest boss in any video game ever?

LevityNYC

Banned
Like the hat? said:
Yellow car was a cheating bastard. You'd be winning every race, then all of a sudden you hear "bwoooo!" and yellow car is going twice as fast as you
No, it was the orange car.

Throavium

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I hate arsey replies like this. "You struggled with DS? Well I didn't, *scoff scoff*, you must just suck."
Dude, DS is a hard game, comparetively speaking. It is a lot harder than most games in the genre. I don't know anyone who would say, "DS wasn't hard at all.". Basically because that is a flat out lie. It isn't hard at all? Come on son. I would've accepted, "not as hard as people make out", that may well be true. But it is difficult, no two ways about it.
Lol, yeah, I don't like that either. "Oh, it took you 20 hours to beat OoT? Well, sheeiiit, I beat it in 3 minutes".

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
-NinjaBoiX- said:
I hate arsey replies like this. "You struggled with DS? Well I didn't, *scoff scoff*, you must just suck."
Dude, DS is a hard game, comparetively speaking. It is a lot harder than most games in the genre. I don't know anyone who would say, "DS wasn't hard at all.". Basically because that is a flat out lie. It isn't hard at all? Come on son. I would've accepted, "not as hard as people make out", that may well be true. But it is difficult, no two ways about it.
Quit crying. Demon's Souls wasn't hard at all to me. That's not a lie. As long as you don't rush into every encounter headlong you should survive pretty much everything the game will throw at you in the first try. I died far more often due to the various glitches in the game (oh how I love clipping through the geometry!) than I did to the game proper.

But let's get back to the subject at hand. I'm so very sorry for saying anything remotely negative about Demon's Souls. I should have known better.

Throavium

Jive Turkey said:
Quit crying. Demon's Souls wasn't hard at all to me. That's not a lie. As long as you don't rush into every encounter headlong you should survive pretty much everything the game will throw at you in the first try. I died far more often due to the various glitches in the game (oh how I love clipping through the geometry!) than I did to the game proper.

But let's get back to the subject at hand. I'm so very sorry for saying anything remotely negative about Demon's Souls. I should have known better.
I can see what you mean, after the curve, to me, the game was still hard but it wasn't impossible to complete.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Throavium said:
I can see what you mean, after the curve, to me, the game was still hard but it wasn't impossible to complete.
And (to me anyway) the curve was 1-1. I died more in that level than I did in the rest of the game combined and that was largely due to the lack of leveling.

As to the difficulty of Demon's Souls: The fucking cowbear in Katamari Forever is giving me far more trouble than Demon's Souls did. COWBEAR!

mjemirzian said:
Oh lord. This is the correct link you should be reading for difficult single player games. Most of the suggestions here are 'grind for big numbars' RPG bilge or relatively low in skill compared to these. Demon's/Dark Souls are trial and error grindfests. The developers flat out admitted they didn't want core action game skills in Dark Souls.

http://www.tbstactics.com/2010/02/most-difficulthardest-andor-competitive.html

Wait you think every game is casual that's been mentioned?

Jezan

Jade Knight 08 said:
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Hard Mode:

Boost Ball Boss
Spider Ball Track Boss

I can't remembered if i beat that boss. ( boost ball boss). .
This.

I had a very very hard time with those :(

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
29ghant.jpg

I still think the true ending of FFT is that Wiegraf viciously murders Ramza at that staircase and the Lucavi win.

DKnight said:
29ghant.jpg

I still think the true ending of FFT is that Wiegraf viciously murders Ramza at that staircase and the Lucavi win.

Jesus. I managed to grind nice and hard pre-fight, not knowing what I was walking into, so I managed (barely) to win. My little brother actually had to restart the game. His Ramza just wasn't up to the challenge.

Sad when you realize how quickly you can kill the final "boss," which was a fucking joke.

AlimNassor said:
Wait you think every game is casual that's been mentioned?
That depends on your definition of casual or hardcore. The RPGs mentioned here are casual games that replace skill, strategy, and competitive scoring with repetitive grinding, growth systems, and numbers games. Demon's Souls replaces common action game skills and competitive scoring/ranking with grinding and large amounts of trial and error, for example.

There's no point discussing difficulty in games that are deliberately designed to be anti-skill and anti-scoring.

goodfella

JumpingTheGun said:
Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-1.jpg

Alma's first form. Ninja Gaiden. OG Xbox. I did manage to beat her (and the game), but it wasnt until 3am on a worknight back when the game first released. Toughest battle for me in gaming by far. Everything else has seemed pretty null and void since then. Coinidentally since then I have never touched another Ninja Gaiden game.

I stopped playing when I beat her. I felt like I had beat the game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, statistically (and thus factually), pre-patch C'thun is the hardest boss of all time since no one managed to beat it.

LPPv8.jpg

It wasn't until three months later that Blizzard decided to patch it, because no one could ever beat it. So C'thun is the correct answer.

haha, I love this, there's an empirically correct answer!

Orayn

Actually, statistically (and thus factually), pre-patch C'thun is the hardest boss of all time since no one managed to beat it.

LPPv8.jpg

It wasn't until three months later that Blizzard decided to patch it, because no one could ever beat it. So C'thun is the correct answer.

I'm pretty sure Pandemonium Warden and Absolute Virtue in FFXI went undefeated for a lot longer than that.

PANDEMONIUM WARDEN from Final Fantasy XI

Dvergr_2_(FFXI).png

18 hour battle of Hell. I've never heard of anything so legendary...

NOW what's the hardest I actually beat? Hmmmmm possibly "a troublesome pair" from monster hunter(ps2) single player campaign. That was a toe curler mostly because of that 50 minute time limit OR WAS IT LOWER?!

reson8or

Dodonpachi Daioujou Death Label's double Hibachi. Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqqR7ee1rs

Only one person in the world has beaten it, and it took him 7 years IIRC.

Futari 1.0 Ultra Larsa is also a candidate I suppose, since I'm pretty sure no one has beaten it. (The OP video is 1.5 Ultra Larsa, which has been beaten by several people.)

I recently purchased daioujou and for the first time tried Death Label: I literally shouted What the Fuck! as the speed of the bullets rained down. My wife thought I had been in an accident or something, lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No I'm suggesting people always hate on the thing that's popular and since Demon's Souls has a lot of people calling it the hardest game people are quicker to disagree. If Demon's Souls was a relatively unknown game from an earlier generation and I brought it up I probably wouldn't have gotten the same response. Whoever quoted me was just begging for a response.

I can't really think of any harder current gen series. :\

Dude, you got that response because people genuinely disagree.

I'm a huge D-Souls fan, and I found them very challenging games, but they are nowhere near the hardest games of the generation, and the OP isn't about hard games, it's about hard bosses. And there isn't a single boss in the game that could ever qualify as "hardest boss ever". Not even close.

And even if I had to pick one, it wouldn't be the False King. I got him on my very first try (though he did grab one soul level from me, haha), and I think I never once died against him. I don't understand why people say he's so hard. He telegraphs all his moves, and he's not that aggressive, so if you miss a dodge so you can always retreat and grass (try doing that against Artorias, if he sees you flasking he rushes you), and by then you probably have tons of those. I also don't say this to brag, because I struggled against Flamelurker (was melee only and didn't have the Crescent falchion :p) and the Maneaters, so I'm not s00per-skilled. I just don't get how anyone would struggle against the False King. If I had to pick a Souls boss as the hardest one, it'd probably be Artorias, Manus, or Kalameet. Then again, I took them all on while being pretty underpowered, maybe at SL 100+ they're a cakewalk. *shrugs* Or hell, Old King Doran without the thief ring/backstabs and/or clouds cheesing, just fighting him head-on, is more challenging than the False King.

For me, the truly hard bosses are those you can't cheese, or that you can't beat relatively easily with proper strategy or preparation, so that leaves out most RPG bosses. For example, I'd disqualify Wiegraf, even if he is a very difficult boss, because he can be cheesed with the Yell tactic or by wearing that garment that absorbs lightning damage so he didn't use his Lightning stab (the only way I could beat him with my Ramza-as-pure-mage on FFT: War of the Lions >_>). I'd also disqualify Galamoth from Castlevania: SotN, because of the beryl circlet, or the shield rod trick, even though I used neither in my first playthrough and still beat him (it was hard, but IMO, if I can beat the boss, he's not that hard, simply because I suck at games ^_^).

A lot of bosses from 8- and 16-bit game would definitely qualify. I couldn't ever beat those, because I'm just not skilled enough. Oh, there was a DS (or GBA? I forgot) Castlevania where I must have restarted Death about a million times, I raged so much at that one. I forgot which it was, maybe Portrait of Ruin? I also recall a boss called "Paranoia" where despite learning all his patterns, there was still little room for mistakes, so I'd still die over and over again and it took me forever to beat him. Bastard. I probably could have just grinded to make him easier, though...

Trying to melee every boss in Demon's/Dark Souls without exploiting.
Try that.
Done and done. I also never used any exploits (assuming you mean unintended behaviours or glitches like the arrow/fog trick for Maneaters or getting Flamelurker stuck in those bones), I consider it cheating.

Myria from Breath of Fire 3 was such a pain!
And also the last boss in the first Metroid Prime, never did beat the bastard.
Myria was an awesome last boss fight! And yes she was very hard, though quite manageable without resorting to extreme grinding or overly specific tactics. You did have to hoard those multivitamins (or whatever the best healing items were), though.

Top Bottom