• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why does League of Legends still have a larger playerbase than Dota 2?

Unfortunately, he is wrong.

Dota (AS) came out years before LoL, and it was huge. Dota 2 was a mechanical exact of Dota.

Again this is not the correct reason.

Dota predated LoL by many years, and was massive. Dota 2 was Dota on Steam, exact same gameplay.

In my opinion, dota 2 =/= dota 1 when there are still hero/s in dota 1 that are not yet in dota2.

manfestival

You've done nothing but shit on this thread with your emotional opinions.

please calm down with the outrage response
cm-vi3.gif

The MSI number is sort of useless out of context.

DOTA Majors generally have 16 teams. MSI had 6.

Having more teams not only means more characters appearing purely due to individual preference--as you can probably assume is the case for most characters that are selected by only a single player over the course of the tournament--but also other characters appearing specifically because of their value as counters to the player-specific characters or team-specific compositions they encounter. You're going to bias toward having fewer characters used if you have fewer participants in a tournament.

Worlds was definitely garbage, though. They played it on a poor patch.

Dota 2's ESL One Frankfurt had 8 teams and there were about 100 heroes picked.

People complained about snowballing this entire thread. That's what reliable gold is for, to dampen the effects of multiple consecutive kills. IIRC League does this by scaling back the amount of gold rewarded per repeated kill? Or has that been changed?

I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone say this to someone else in my 10+ years of playing this game. It doesn't even make sense, strategically speaking.

League actually increased the minimum gold you gained on consecutive kills against the same player about a year or so ago. Around that time, proxy farming was a gimmicky tactic that sort of worked especially as Singed.

Honestly I think it is pretty simple. League is a funner game in terms of actual gameplay. Less strategy sure but more than enough that the game is always varied and never gets solved. More opportunities for individual plays, constant trading etc. makes the game much more satisfying. You can't really enjoy the strategy elements until you're good enough to understand what is going on, you can quite easily enjoy the gameplay from the get go.

Dota is also really confusing for a new player imo although I imagine League is starting to get that way too with some of the changes in the last few years.

Top Bottom