• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you got an Xbox one X ? Share your noise level

So a quick update, had mine sent in with Ups due to loudness up to 51db. Can follow the status on https://account.microsoft.com/ and
since thursday last week MS had my ps edition on repair. So it's been four days now in a couple of hours.

I'm used to being sent a brand new console on almost the same day as they accept my unit (history with both Xbox 360 and Og Xbox one) but it seems like Ms are really taking the time and effort to make everything right considering the PS edition. Will be interesting to see how they will proceed. They could as well send my unit back and claim it's normal but I'm sure I'd have heard that by now.

Playing some Horizon Zero Dawn in the meantime so not really in a hurry. Happy to be an owner of another console when stuff like this happens.

Will write a follow up when they are done and I've tested everything.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Mine is dead silent. Well, with the exception of Hitman. The fan kicks into overdrive with that game.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

they have all been dead silent but i have had 2 project scorpio's do this.
Kmz5J0m.jpg

And now they gave me a new regular Xbox One X so my special console isn't special anymore. But it's quiet I wish this would stop happening. My son's launch Project Scorpio has been fine.

new console on almost the same day as they accept my unit (history with both Xbox 360 and Og Xbox one) but it seems like Ms are really taking the time and effort to make everything right considering the PS edition. Will be interesting to see how they will proceed. They could as well send my unit back and claim it's normal but I'm sure

The console I got back in may was exactly the same as the one I sent and it was still loud. Think all they did was to open it up, vacuum clean it and do a reset. Asked MS for an advanced exchange instead so I could get a brand new console. I received that a couple of days ago and finally during 4K-play my console is quiet. It's still a project scorpio however. But big difference in how quiet it is.
So if you have a loud xbox one x? Do not send it in for a repair straight away. Ask instead for an Advanced Exchange instead as you want a brand new console. They will reserve a 500 euro charge on your credit card and you will have to send the faulty one back to them within 14 days after you have received the new one.

Last edited:
The only time mine ever gets noisy it's during PUBG. It's mega loud when it's on the menu and then the noise reduce during game play. Does this do it for anyone else or am I going have to give MS a ring for a "repair".

I forgot to mention it doesn't really go noisy on other games. Not that I have noticed at least.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
The only time mine ever gets noisy it's during PUBG. It's mega loud when it's on the menu and then the noise reduce during game play. Does this do it for anyone else or am I going have to give MS a ring for a "repair".

I forgot to mention it doesn't really go noisy on other games. Not that I have noticed at least.

Mine does the same with PUBG

Ulysses 31

Was very quiet while I played a lot of Dark Souls Remastered.

Let's see how it is when I play though MMC with X patch or Rise of the Tombraider.

Personal update:

It's the Australian Winter and I've had mine for eight months now and it's still dead silent (standard non-Scorpio edition) in all games, even after 3+ hour long gameplay sessions. It's the best console that I've owned in two generations. I love it.

only if u play minecraft

Nice troll.

For reference, I've played (and own) these 4k enhanced games on my X:

Forza 7
Battlefield 1
Crackdown
Crimson Skies
Darksiders
Diablo 3
Dishonoured
DOOM (2016)
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Forza Horizon
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Halo 5
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Portal 2
Prey
Skate 3
KoTOR I
KoTOR II
TES IV Oblivion
The Witcher 2
The Witcher 3

...And not a peep.

Worst case scenario: On a 44 degree c day in Australia, all I get is a calm soft whir that's only audible if I listen for it. My X hasn't made a noise in the last three months other than the disc eject mechanism.

Last edited:

ILLtown

I've had 2 Xbox One Xs: -

Scorpio edition: -

I pre-ordered it and got it on day one. When I turned it on for the first time, it was so quiet that I couldn't even hear the fan at all unless I put my ear up to it. When playing most non-enhanced games, it would also remain super quiet.

When playing some enhanced games, the fan would spin up really loud for a few seconds before going back down to super quiet again. On a scale of 1-10 it's like it would spike up from 1 to 8 for a few seconds before dropping back down to 1 again. This would happen regularly. I found the fan profile to be strange and it concerned me so much that I started a thread about it on the Xbox.com forums to ask if other people were having the same experience. Some were. Others described their console as essentially silent at all times.

After several weeks of ownership, I had issues where the screen would go black for a few seconds before returning to normal. After a day or two of that, the screen went permanently black and the console was basically dead.

Regular One X: -

I decided to get a refund on my Scorpio and just get a regular One X as it was quicker than sending it into MS, plus it actually saved me some money as better bundles were available compared to when I pre-ordered my Scorpio.

The regular One X exhibits different fan behaviour to the Scorpio. Rather than the fan staying at 1 and spiking up to 8, it will gradually ramp up from 1 to 2, then to 3, when playing enhanced games, then it will smoothly ramp back down when I go back to the home screen or play a less demanding game. There are no more spikes where it sounds like a little vacuum cleaner for a few seconds. As a result, I much prefer it to the Scorpio I had in terms of noise.

Both consoles were situated in the same spot, both standing upright with the vertical stand, and there was no new dashboard update released in between my Scorpio dying and me getting the regular One X, so the change in fan profile isn't down to an update. I can't prove it, but I suspect that the temperature sensor or fan controller in the Scorpio was faulty and that perhaps contributed to it dying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom