• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social isolation is deadlier than obesity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried that. I went to a sunday school that had people of my age group. I would try to socialize but it felt like they weren't interested in what I had to say. I felt like an outcast there. the instructor was there was nice but he supposed to be nice.
The church I go to is more biblical as in they follow the bible to the T. The sabbath is the 7th day according to the bible, which is Saturday. Constintine in about 300 A.D made it law to worship on Sunday but that's another topic entirely. I suggest trying a more biblical church.

ericexpo

I've been thinking about this more and more in recent years as i've grown apart from my friends. I talk to people at work each day and two people i would call my best friends both have since moved away and i talk to them on gchat each day (which i don't think counts)

I think the worst thing is when you see people with tons of friends that do a bunch of social things, but instead of being like hey want to hang out? you become very jealous of them.

Replicant

Thanks for this thread guys, now I'm all depressed.

Being alone and being lonely are two very different things.

That's not loneliness. That's solitude. Also, solitude by choice is better than being alone despite being surrounded by people that you know but don't care or can't connect with you.

Stronty

How about if the interactions you have are with people you don't relate to or find their worldview reprehensible? Is it better to avoid those type people? That seems an even worse situation, that people need to be social and most of the people you meet don't have your best interests at heart, let alone care about your well being.

Replicant

Never felt lonely once in my entire life until I graduated from college, got a full time job, and moved out of my parents house. When you're constantly surrounded by people your own age for at least 40 hours a week from elementary school through college, and then suddenly you aren't anymore, it feels like a punch in the gut (at least it did for me). It's way harder to build relationships with people you don't (and can't) spend even close to that much time with anymore.

For example, you meet someone in passing, out shopping, at a football game, whatever......you have approximately the length of that interaction to make a connection, or you will probably never see them again. Doesn't matter if you're trying to be friends with someone or trying to date them. It's harsh, and I wish it was something someone told me. First impressions turn into only impressions when you get older, unfortunately.

If you're a naturally social person, then you'll probably be ok regardless, but if you aren't, meeting people only gets harder (way harder) as you get older.

God, why am I keep reading this thread? It's so depressing but the stories in here are so true, especially this one. ;_;

It's so hard to make a connection with someone you like, be it as friends or significant others. And it seems everyone is either too afraid to try or already have their own set of friends they are content with. It's especially getting harder after you graduated from college.

How about if the interactions you have are with people you don't relate to or find their worldview reprehensible? Is it better to avoid those type people? That seems an even worse situation, that people need to be social and most of the people you meet don't have your best interests at heart, let alone care about your well being.

I always that the answer to that is a resounding "Yes". Because as long as you're with them, you'll always be hoping that they'll be a better person, a better friend to you, etc. But the truth is, if they haven't changed now, they likely will not change at all. And you'll be left hoping that you have the kind of friendship that you want but you can't get it. I think that's far more depressing and crushing than if you leave them and be content with solitude. Also with solitude it means you'll have the chance to forge new connections with other people.

clav

Is this supposed to be funny?

No. What made you think that?

I don't think anyone likes me. As time progresses, it makes me not care about my lonely social interaction.

I've been thinking about this more and more in recent years as i've grown apart from my friends. I talk to people at work each day and two people i would call my best friends both have since moved away and i talk to them on gchat each day (which i don't think counts)

I think the worst thing is when you see people with tons of friends that do a bunch of social things, but instead of being like hey want to hang out? you become very jealous of them.

The worst part is that you know you have friends nearby, and they post activities that they don't invite you to partake. Yet, you still help them when they're not feeling so great because you think no interaction is worse than helping them out.

The worst part is that you know you have friends nearby, and they post activities that they don't invite you to partake. Yet, you still help them when they're not feeling so great because you think no interaction is worse than helping them out.

The fact is though, and we had a thread like this recently, that friendship is reciprocity.

params7

Banned
Maybe we should all start playing MMO's? That way we can be social while still being on the internet.

But only if there were any good MMO's around.

WARCOCK

Banned
Thanks for this thread guys, now I'm all depressed.

That's not loneliness. That's solitude. Also, solitude by choice is better than being alone despite being surrounded by people that you know but don't care or can't connect with you.

Story of my life :/

But then i get told i'm stuck up. lololol

Dead Man

So loneliness gives me cancer and heart attacks?

I am sorry for being cynical but I can not see how loneliness can be just as terrible, especially if social interaction is a simple walk out of the door. There is no walking away from cancer or heart failures.

You should read more.

ericexpo

It's so hard to make a connection with someone you like, be it as friends or significant others. And it seems everyone is either too afraid to try or already have their own set of friends they are content with. It's especially getting harder after you graduated from college.

remember reading a article a while back that said friendship is about many small interactions over time. to me it seems true, and places like school facilitates these small interactions. Seeing someone in math for 4 years, it's bound to make you friends. without being stuck next to someone for a long period of time, i feel lost.

Also i was thinking about sending this article to someone i know that did the same thing as this girl, but i thought about it for a little bit because i was thinking is sending this saying "hey i'm lonely" or saying "hey look i know your lonely" Which proves to me that it's a stigma to talk about being alone.

I was just thinking about this today. I've grown apart from all my friends. We're just at different stages in life and the things they do annoy me. After realizing this I also realized that at 30 years old it's really hard to make new friends...

Replicant

Or that they claim that they don't like going out but then they go out all night long with other people. :/

remember reading a article a while back that said friendship is about many small interactions over time. to me it seems true, and places like school facilitates these small interactions. Seeing someone in math for 4 years, it's bound to make you friends. without being stuck next to someone for a long period of time, i feel lost.

Which explains why most of us are at lost after we graduate from uni because those places that confined us to see specific people with same interest over and over again no longer exist (well there is workplace but you don't always like your co-workers). Thus you are forced to get to know people not because they happen to be on the same place at the same time but because you want to get to know them. And that is terrifying.

Also it doesn't help that society seems to think that talking to random strangers is a bad thing. Thus, no one want to be the fool and initiate conversation with a stranger even if you two see each other many times in public places.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
not even close. I think there's a huge line between cyber and physical interaction.

the latter would do wonders for our betterment.
Yep. I've gone through a few periods of prolonged social isolation. The internet is no substitute for real human interaction. I guess it helped keep suicidal thoughts at bay, so there's that.
Having good friends and people around you that you love really is the most important thing in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom