• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Finalized Switch Details (720p Screen, Up to 1080p output on TV, etc.)

seantos

Neo Member
"up to 1080p" just means that its never happening on a normal game and that its only going to happen on small indie games...if any of those even bother coming out for this thing.

Lmao.

Well, good luck nintendo.

image.php

themoose5

Neo Member
You guys expecting this to have a HDD? My phone has 32 gigs with micro SD. I don't think Vita has ANY internal memory.

The kicker for this one is the switch isn't just a handheld. Dedicated handhelds like the 3DS and the Vita can get away with these shortcomings because people hold them to a lower standard.

When you're touting this as your home console the standers get that much higher. Especially when the price is at the same level as the competition who has much stronger hardware.

Is GAF stupid right now? Dude you people need to calm down.

Seriously, there's people in here asking for a 500GB portable/home hybrid... The most storage I've seen is an iPhone and it's 256 only.

SD's are cheap, casual people have phones that require microSD or SDHC or XC, they will handle it and buy it.

People need to really stop crying at the fact that the console has 32GB. IT'S NOT A PS4 or XBONE.

No. It's a home console that you get to take outside. Stop calling it "portable".

It's not a portable in the same sense of 3DS and Vita.

IT'S A PORTABLE CONSOLE

It isn't a PS4 or Xbone. How many times people have to tell you that?

You forgot the "Home" part, the one Nintendo has time and time again stated.

But hey, you know more about the system and what it's trying to do I guess!

The controller comes apart and can be used as motion controllers for 1, 2 Switch and Arms, but don't look big enough to hold replaceable batteries so I assume they have internal rechargeables...

Any word on how long those will last between charges?

Ninja Dom

You keep doing this and people keep telling you why the comparison is silly.

You need to stop my friend.

First of all there is massive margin on those phones. Apple will charge you like 100 bucks for an extra 64GB, Do you really think storage cost that much? 32GB as a games system storage solution is a complete joke today.

The storage isn't what makes your iPhone expensive.

I know, I know. I get what you're all saying.

But tell me how much flash storage you think this should have come with. Ask yourself if that is economically possible.

By designing a console that is portable and uses flash storage - you're immediately limiting the amount of flash storage you put in if you want to achieve a £279 retail price.

Regiruler

We haven't "known" anything at all. It was all rumors and speculation and there were plenty of reports from reputable sources saying the dock could add "processing power" very recently

Nintendo outright stated that there was nothing of any sort in the dock.

And those reports were very explicitly drawing parallels to gaming laptops. The dock simply lets it run full power.

AzaK

Its a portable. A spinning HDD would eat up electricity and may even break easily. SSDs are too expensive

I think thats the important question here

Yeah but it should come with a packed in 128 or 256 Micro SD, which would cost Nintendo maybe 20c each.

Apathy

You guys expecting this to have a HDD? My phone has 32 gigs with micro SD. I don't think Vita has ANY internal memory.

Vita 2000 does, it's small but it has it.

You're also comparing a machine thats only for portable play that was released in 2011 with a machine that a company wants to refer to as a home console that is being released in 2017. Just saying

antonz

While 32GB is paltry there are things people need to realize.

PS4/XBO have mandatory Installs due to the slow ass Disc Drives in the systems. Blu Ray Drive in the consoles maxes out at roughly 27MB/s. Due to this they have you basically install the whole game on Hard Drives. Switch Gamecards will run as high as 90MB/S. Removing the need for massive game installs.

Patching can still be a legitimate issue I will grant that.

As for the Gamecards themselves word is 16GB is the standard card and it can go as high as 64GB. So gamesize is not an issue as far as the cards themselves.

I know, I know. I get what you're all saying.

But tell me how much flash storage you think this should have come with. Ask yourself if that is economically possible.

By designing a console that is portable and uses flash storage - you're immediately limiting the amount of flash storage you put in if you want to achieve a £279 retail price.

Look fam, I'm the consumer. I buy the product. It's up to them to make it work for me. I don't need to do anyone's job here. They need to incite me to buy it.

Same with other consumers. You are buying this from them. If they can't convince developers and consumers due to the limitations they've set, just like with the Wii U, it's their problem they need to figure out. Not mine.

At some level, they should have thought about how that's going to impact both areas. And maybe they just don't give a shit and that's their answer.

Edit: Someone suggested a SD card packed in. That might work out better than the option they have now.

Ninja Dom

No. It's a home console that you get to take outside. Stop calling it "portable".

Yes it is.

If you desire you can only charge the Switch off USB power, like a phone. You can take it around with you and keep the joy cons attached at all times. If you desire it is exactly like a 3DS or Vita.

k4mon

Neo Member
32GB of storage isn't even a joke, it's madness.
I got Doom 2 days ago for PS4 and the patch from 1.00 to 1.09 was 29 GB.

Yeah like a lot of you guys said you can buy an SD card for 40 bucks.
But why the hell do they not put 500GB inside the console?! Phones have more storage since before the WiiU.

Guess Who

Banned

It's also a portable that you can dock to your TV. It's not a home console in the same sense of the PS4 and the Xbone.

(In basically all meaningful ways, it's much more portable than home console.)

Mooreberg

IT'S A PORTABLE CONSOLE

My phone was $299 and has 64GB of storage. And mobile games are a fraction of the size of what is coming out on this thing. nVidia must have screwed them pretty bad if this is a cost cutting measure.

brb, guys, just off to spend $300 on a device with 32GB of storage and three hours of battery life in this year that we live in, 2017.

Bowl0l

While 32GB is paltry there are things people need to realize.

PS4/XBO have mandatory Installs due to the slow ass Disc Drives in the systems. Blu Ray Drive in the consoles maxes out at roughly 27MB/s. Due to this they have you basically install the whole game on Hard Drives. Switch Gamecards will run as high as 90MB/S. Removing the need for massive game installs.

Patching can still be a legitimate issue I will grant that.

As for the Gamecards themselves word is 16GB is the standard card and it can go as high as 64GB. So gamesize is not an issue as far as the cards themselves.
You forgotten the users that might want to buy eshop games.

IT'S A PORTABLE CONSOLE

It's the same price, trying to sell to the same market, and we've seen exactly how successful both an expensive handheld and a console with just Nintendo games and no real third party support have been already.

Plus this is an age where digital games are becoming ever more popular and profitable, catering to that should have been one of their primary concerns, and they deserve to lose the sales they inevitably will do for not having built the system with that in mind.

There simply is no defending this. This is a massive balls up on Nintendo's part, and that's the end of it.

Apathy

It's also a portable that you can dock to your TV. It's not a home console in the same sense of the PS4 and the Xbone.

You're right, seems nintendo only wants it to be a home console when it comes to price and a mobile platform when it comes to whats inside the machine.

balohna

Nintendo Switch has more flash memory than PS4 or Xbox One.

Of course it wasn't going to have 500 GB. No way they're putting that much flash memory in it for $300, and no way they're putting a laptop hard drive in the thing. It's a no-win scenario in terms of storage and portability.

Maybe, best case, you can install patches directly on game cards. Or you just won't be downloading many (if any) full priced games. Oh well. I can personally live with it. As other people have said, installs aren't really needed without relying on optical media. It might also be a thing to carry multiple SD cards. The machine is a bit of a beast for a portable anyway, so you might want a case or something.

vivekTO

So we will not see any Spec released before Launch Right?

32 GB is fine i guess, microsd are cheaper now days with much larger storage.

mishakoz

5nJKzZ9.png

aOW3mR1.png

The dock doesn't have much mystery in it.

edit: The below I redact, it looks like that third port is 3.0

Ahh yes, modern USB-C connector, then usb 2.0 outputs. Fantastic.

Why.

(You'd want 3.0 for external harddrives, which I understand it may not support, but 3.0 still does faster charging. and yes, I realize that many things dont have them, including high end PCs and the PS4/Xbox, but its weird then to do the USB C.)

Blobbers

It's a portable that'll be getting 20-40GB games. That's what we're working with here.

n0razi

Is GAF stupid right now? Dude you people need to calm down.

Seriously, there's people in here asking for a 500GB portable/home hybrid... The most storage I've seen is an iPhone and it's 256 only.

SD's are cheap, casual people have phones that require microSD or SDHC or XC, they will handle it and buy it.

People need to really stop crying at the fact that the console has 32GB. IT'S NOT A PS4 or XBONE.

Then why is it priced like one?

Top Bottom