• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Some' YouTubers approach indie developer asking for sales revenue of his game.

geomon

lol If I were this guy I'd post a picture of a lovely looking pier that all of them could politely fuck right off of.

Yes, that's my point. I don't have a problem with the concept but the execution was despicable.

Plenty of things in the world are "despicable." This really isn't one of them. We don't know all of the facts here, so jumping to such a conclusion seems a little premature. When you enter a negotiation, you generally want to ask for your "best case scenario" deal. If you think that you can deliver value and more sales, why not ask for some portion of game revenue? Then they counter offer, and you continue to negotiate.

In a way, the anonymous YouTuber was sort of going about things the right way. Rather than just relying on fair use, they were reaching out to the dev to work out a deal that works for both of them. As we don't know the specifics and we don't know about the business savvy of this dev (who may be overreacting because he doesn't realize that it's a legitimate way to do co-marketing), maybe it's a little disingenuous to be calling it despicable.

Plenty of things in the world are "despicable." This really isn't one of them. We don't know all of the facts here, so jumping to such a conclusion seems a little premature. When you enter a negotiation, you generally want to ask for your "best case scenario" deal. If you think that you can deliver value and more sales, why not ask for some portion of game revenue? Then they counter offer, and you continue to negotiate.

In a way, the anonymous YouTuber was sort of going about things the right way. Rather than just relying on fair use, they were reaching out to the dev to work out a deal that works for both of them. As we don't know the specifics and we don't know about the business savvy of this dev (who may be overreacting because he doesn't realize that it's a legitimate way to do co-marketing), maybe it's a little disingenuous to be calling it despicable.

No, I think despicable is a very defensible term in this environment and context. It could well be that the caster believes they should be paid, and that they can ask for money - flat fees, percentage of sales, etc. But what occurs here is that the videos become paid advertising, the audience doesn't know, and a potentially extortative culture opens up which historically - 100% of the time - harms smaller operators more than it hurts bigger ones. Plenty of business-driven decisions which may seem smart or necessary can also be despicable. Capitalism can be despicable. It's okay. We can say that and not move to Cuba.

Ovek

7Member7
Can't wait for the totally unadavised video from TotalBiscuit justifying this shit, regardless if he has actually done something as shady as this (bet he has).

tranciful

Sounds like the mobile game review sites. Paid reviews/coverage exist. Usually those outlets don't actually have a following (which is why they try and scam devs into paying them)

No, I think despicable is a very defensible term in this environment and context. It could well be that the caster believes they should be paid, and that they can ask for money - flat fees, percentage of sales, etc. But what occurs here is that the videos become paid advertising, the audience doesn't know, and a potentially extortative culture opens up which historically - 100% of the time - harms smaller operators more than it hurts bigger ones. Plenty of business-driven decisions which may seem smart or necessary can also be despicable. Capitalism can be despicable. It's okay. We can say that and not move to Cuba.

Your reasoning is full of assumptions and slippery slopes, though. You don't know the specifics of what was offered, nor do you know what would have happened should the negotiation gone forward. You don't know whether or not the relationship would be disclosed as sponsored content, etc.

And if the caster believes that they are delivering value that results in higher sales numbers, why shouldn't they be paid? Is the issue the fact that it's in the form of a percentage of net profit? Well, that's up to the game creator and caster to negotiate, I think. It could be a non-exclusive arrangement, so as not to cut out "smaller operators."

I guess I just think that you're overreaching when you point to a culture of extortion. What is the evidence for that in this situation? Getting one side of the story from a party with very personal involvement?

axb2013

This is very wrong, any arguments otherwise are most likely coming from incognito double dipping youtubers trying to justify their greed.

Aside from what's obviously wrong with this picture, opinions expressed in videos which developers paid for cannot be trusted. There is simply no way that the payments made or considerations of future payments do not influence "reviewers".

I appreciate Roth's dilemma. IMO, he took the best approach, shedding light on the issue without setting anyone up for the sweet billy treatment.

Pikma

Banned
I really find that kind of whining worthless, if you're not going to properly call out the person/site/whatever you're whining about then why bother? you either do or you don't.

tranciful

Can't wait for the totally unadavised video from TotalBiscuit justifying this shit, regardless if he has actually done something as shady as this (bet he has).

He always comes off as very honest and upfront about that sort of stuff to me. Like he even has disclaimers when he's given a game for free. And I don't watch a ton of his stuff, but I almost think he's even talked about stuff like this before.

But don't let that stop your crazy hate train

jorma

is now taking requests
Hmm. Simon Roth specifically said on his twitter that no one asked him for cash for a video they already made, and that seems to be the major problem people have with this.

If they make a deal before the fact i don't see the problem. The developer would obviously only enter such a deal if he thinks he can make a net gain from it. And i assume we are talking about a playthrough rather than a review. Good reviews for cash is obviously not kosher.

axb2013

People arguing that this is cool should ask their employers for a earnings % in exchange for wearing employer's apparel and report back with feedback they get.

Hmm. Simon Roth specifically said on his twitter that no one asked him for cash for a video they already made, and that seems to be the major problem people have with this.

If they make a deal before the fact i don't see the problem. The developer would obviously only enter such a deal if he thinks he can make a net gain from it. And i assume we are talking about a playthrough rather than a review. Good reviews for cash is obviously not kosher.

I'm thinking that this discussion is being colored by some people's blanket contempt for YouTube Let's Play'ers and lots of assumptions, like assuming that there would be no indication that a financial relationship existed when a "review" is "bought."

axb2013

Ronku is a good indication on how much transparency is to be expected, as little as they can get away with. There is no youtube channel with a disclaimer indicating they are willing to trade exposure for a sales cut.

Taking a payment from devs to do videos and the option of collaboration for future games weigh too much for any kind of good output to be produced. Youtubers are more likely to forget to mention the payment than to forget to monetize the video.

Dryk

He's actually pretty fucking anal about his quality and integrity standards most of the time. I remember him mentioning recently that he now has access to the data that lets him see Steam games get sales spikes when he does a video but I got the impression he was going to use it as a bargaining chip when trying to get coverage from protective publishers, not extort indie developers.

So some youtubers are idiots with huge inflated egos? Say it ain't true!
Hey guys, some indie game developers are assholes and rip you off.

Name names or gtfo honestly. I know he probably didn't intend it but when you state stuff like this so broadly you just make everyone look bad while the big egos don't give a damn and continue doing this.

Absolutely not. Youtubers choose to play a game because it'll generate them revenue via hits. Any developer who thinks they're also entitled to a portion of the revenue of the game itself because they're "marketing" the title are double dipping turds.

Do you think you're entitled to a share of a company's revenue for wearing their logo on your shirt?
I think guys like pewdiepew are pretty big enough to pay him so the game gets greater attention.

Good god

And this is after the controversy over big companies shutting down youtubers.

These assholes are only making those actions more justified.

We have a good thing going be able to share out thoughts and experiences with our communities in a free manner.

Fuck youtube ad monetization for incentivising this kind of behavior.

heidern

People arguing that this is cool should ask their employers for a earnings % in exchange for wearing employer's apparel and report back with feedback they get.

You could go to your employer and ask them to sponsor you wearing their apparel outside of work. If the employer gets a benefit then why would they not take it up?

People are scummy. But youtubers seem to be extra scummy.

As someone who watches a lot of YouTube and uploads, you can be a scumbag like as you want. There's a lot of decent people but you'll find so many people ripping a trailer for [insert game/film etc], re-upload it to their channel and then monetise it. It's the ultimate scumbag way of getting money with no consequences. It's so easy to do and so many people do it. Surprised this hasn't been talked about before. YouTube is the ultimate shitty way of making money because of how easy it is to play a game and get paid.
Why wouldn't they try to want more from an indie developer?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
So a popular youtuber made a playthrough of a game and monetized it. This person made some money from the ads and then asked the developer of the game for some cash?

Is this what's going on?

That's shitty. I want a name so I can avoid this prick.

Looking at the recent yogscast videos there are ones that are very obvious PR pieces for trials. The only indication they have that it is paid content or advertising are the words, "a big thanks to Ubisoft for making this possible!" They are in the text description below the video that you have to click show more to see.

It does make you wonder why they chose don't starve and everquest next to get "let's play" content also.

Be like me. No names required. Talentless leaches.

I don't think they're all talentless.

I've seen some genuinely good youtube personalities who I enjoy watching, even as a game dev. They take time to edit their videos and sometimes put in more time reviewing your games and looking at them than some online sites.

As with anything though, it varies depending on who you're talking about and what kind of content they make. People like Markiplier for example, I often enjoy his videos because they tend to be overall pretty positive and constructive. Angry Joe is a controversial one in GAF it seems, but I personally see his videos try to point out both positives and negatives, unlike other online press who pick one bad/good point to harp on in their article because they think it will get them views and just spew the line nonstop.

I think you tubers are a great asset to indie game developers because they often times unearth games the press would otherwise ignore. I was surprised to see a big boost in my traffic due to Markiplier doing a Let's Play of one of my free games, which had been otherwise ignored by other online gaming sites. While the online "game press" seems to be actively trying to ignore any game from people they don't know, You Tubers are going out of their way to try to find a new game nobody has ever seen before. There's some value to that for everyone.

All that said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to hire a you tuber with a good following to do your marketing. Let's be clear here, I say "marketing" as in be the face of your game, and not be shady or unclear about it. As long as the agenda is visible, I think that's probably quite a decent choice for a marketing person, given that if they have a large following it means they know how to reach people and grow an audience.

What I'm against is back room deals where a Youtuber who claims no affiliation asks for money to produce favorable content in their channel. That's a shady practice nobody should employ... but I'm fairly sure some do anyway.

mattp

So a popular youtuber made a playthrough of a game and monetized it. This person made some money from the ads and then asked the developer of the game for some cash?

Is this what's going on?

That's shitty. I want a name so I can avoid this prick.

not "some cash", a percentage of the game profits
huge difference

also this wasn't done AFTER the fact for videos. it's before anything is recorded

As a note to users. SocialBlade estimations are often way off from the actual figures. I've seen comparison videos and checked out the service myself, with some discrepancies present. Not to mention the money is cut by taxes and then divided amongst the marketing channel who own you and then you get your cut. You make money, just not the figures you hoped you would.

jorma

is now taking requests
You could go to your employer and ask them to sponsor you wearing their apparel outside of work. If the employer gets a benefit then why would they not take it up?

Yeah. You gotta be somebody famous and popular first though, but there's nothing strange about it. Imagine Nike tweeting about how obnoxious Ronaldo is because he had the nerve to ask them for money in exchange for endorsing Nike products...

pewdiepie is crazy popular, if you are a developer you might actually want to give him boatloads of money to make sure that he is seen having fun with YOUR game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Edit: When writing the post below I had not noticed that the Youtubers made unsolicited demands towards the developers. I acknowledge that this practice is shady and it would be a better business practice to negociate any collaboration beforehand instead of begging.

Why not? Youtubers are de facto participating in the marketing/advertising campaign of many games so I can see why they'd negociate a share of the revenue. Both parties have something the other wants so they might as well make a deal. Everyone wins, it's the free market.

My shoes say Nike on them. Shouldn't I be compensated for spreading awareness of their product? My t-shirt has my favorite band's logo on it. Where's my cut of their record sales?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Why not? Youtubers are de facto participating in the marketing/advertising campaign of many games so I can see why they'd negociate a share of the revenue. Both parties have something the other wants so they might as well make a deal. Everyone wins, it's the free market.
You can't negotiate your terms after the fact.

It's like a kid mowing your lawn and then holding his hand out for payment without ever ringing your doorbell and asking "Hey, would you like me to mow your lawn?"

Vlodril

the guy said it was not after the fact they approached him with a proposal and he refused i take it.

Also who is to say that they wouldn't mention that this is a paid promo, a lot of youtubers do(it would be good if we knew for a fact who has accepted money for a promo and did not disclose it).

Matriox

*Buys Oreos
*Takes them home and records Youtube video about eating Oreos
*Email Nabisco demanding money

Yeah this doesn't fly here either...

ibcHRvOzdqrIcE.png
Oh never mind then, I guess, kind of. At least they're not total scumbags.

Ostensibly selling your opinions and not covering games unless you get paid extra, by the people responsible for making the things which sustain your pay in the first place. It's kind of...sure, it could be worthwhile advertising, but...you're a shilleech. That's fine, I guess, you can be that if you want, but what bothers me is the potential for these people to be masquerading as having integrity and being trustworthy.

Preferably they should be made to wear some sort of hat, but barring that, Youtubers who do sponsored videos should at least have to edit an obvious disclaimer into the start of the actual video. From what I've seen (which is admittedly not much) they try to get away with mentioning it in the description somewhere. On iOS and Android the description doesn't even appear unless you engage it. This (intentional or otherwise) obfuscation of the fact that you're watching a paid advertisement is a problem.

jorma

is now taking requests
My shoes say Nike on them. Shouldn't I be compensated for spreading awareness of their product? My t-shirt has my favorite band's logo on it. Where's my cut of their record sales?

are you ronaldo? if you are, go for it. you will make plenty of money doing exactly that.

Top Bottom