• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone built a fully functional 1 KB Hard Drive... in Minecraft

Krejlooc

Banned
Physics

look up "physical ALU" or "physical half-adder" for a better understanding.

Or, for a better answer:

Dyw36lu.jpg

This is a physical half-adder built out of wood. It is a large, physical representation of the boolean logic of the following circuit:

6j8nQKX.gif

Think of it sort of like a very large clockwork mechanism that moves physical objects around instead of electricity.

What they do when they build ICs like this in minecraft is recreate the physical model using minecraft blocks.

I don't get why this is blowing up so much. This is not a hard drive; it's just basic non-volatile memory. People have built for more interesting and complex things in Minecraft, and yet, this is what reaches the front page of Reddit.

Wow, I can barely get a door to work correctly.

I can't wait until someone builds a pc that runs minecraft, in minecraft.

So now we have functional adders/proto-CPUs and persistent storage in Minecraft. Probably won't be long until someone creates a machine in Minecraft that can 'run' Minecraft...

Oh my God, this is about to get super meta when Minecraft is playable in Minecraft.

He needs to go deeper. Like create a computer in Minecraft, and then play Minecraft on it and so on.
Universe will explode.

Personally I can't wait until someone runs Minecraft in Minecraft.

daveo42

Banned
How does it even work?

Red stone as a logic gate. Similar to how it has worked in the minecraft CPUs that have been created up until now. Now they've figured out how read and write data to a hard drive instead of just for calculations. Slow as hell but still impressive.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't get why this is blowing up so much. This is not a hard drive; it's just basic non-volatile memory. People have built for more interesting and complex things in Minecraft, and yet, this is what reaches the front page of Reddit.

the most complex machinery becomes, the more abstract it becomes, the more difficult it is to appreciate.

The skills you need to recognize which physical ICs are more impressive than other physical ICs are the same skills you need to build something like this in the first place. Since most people lack those skills, they default to the practical application - they can conceptualize a non-volatile memory (as a harddrive) but most have no idea what an ALU is.

Orayn

Think of it sort of like a very large clockwork mechanism that moves physical objects around instead of electricity.

What they do when they build ICs like this in minecraft is recreate the physical model using minecraft blocks.

I'd say the Minecraft versions are more analogous to using relays or vacuum tubes, since they rely on Redstone "circuits" whose simulated behavior is somewhere between an electrical wire and a cam or drive shaft.

CoryCubed

So, if you build a hard drive in Minecraft, can that hard drive be larger then the size of the harddrive Minecraft is contained on? Or would it be more like a partition? I have no idea what I'm talking about.

GavinGT

Banned
Or, for a better answer:

Dyw36lu.jpg

This is a physical half-adder built out of wood. It is a large, physical representation of the boolean logic of the following circuit:

6j8nQKX.gif

Sort of. Minecraft does have a built-in concept of current flow, which makes these things a bit easier.

When I got way into this stuff in Minecraft, I was using a mod that simplified each logic gate into a single block. At that point, it's basically like designing in a 3D PSpice (although a lot buggier).

TyrantII

Hopefully this guy is not underemployed and working in a Starbucks.

Be such an American story: waste of talent/smarts.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'd say the Minecraft versions are more analogous to a relay or a vacuum tube in some ways, since they rely on Redstone "circuits" whose simulated behavior is somewhere between an electrical wire and a cam or drive shaft.

Well of course those operate physically moving objects as well :p

It's really all the same principle. As someone else phrased it, "physical logic gates."

Sort of. Minecraft does have a built-in concept of current flow, which makes these things a bit easier.

Now we're getting abstract, but I'd consider "current flow" to be physically moving things around. Virtually, at least, in minecraft. LOL if that makes sense.

foxdvd

So if we go off Sony Vita memory prices this should cost what, 300 bucks?

Mad respect for that guy though. Amazing amount of work.

daveo42

Banned
Hopefully this guy is not underemployed and working in a Starbucks.

Be such an American story: waste of talent/smarts.

Probably a group of college students working on this as either a part of a project or something they wanted to set out to create based on previous work done in Minecraft already.

Krejlooc

Banned
Give this guy a high quality job if he can create something like this.

That is just.. Amazing. I hope such a talent does not go to waste.

The skill to build this isn't really something that would demand high quality talent. This is just a novel implementation of an already well understood design.

the most complex machinery becomes, the more abstract it becomes, the more difficult it is to appreciate.

The skills you need to recognize which physical ICs are more impressive than other physical ICs are the same skills you need to build something like this in the first place. Since most people lack those skills, they default to the practical application - they can conceptualize a non-volatile memory (as a harddrive) but most have no idea what an ALU is.

Thank you for this reply. For whatever reason it calmed my nerves that were struck. I need to cut back on the salt.

mnannola

What happens when they build Minecraft in Minecraft, build AI, and then program the AI to do the same thing?

Minecraftception

GavinGT

Banned

The skill to build this isn't really something that would demand high quality talent. This is just a novel implementation of an already well understood design.

Nailing it.

imBask

Banned
I once made a house in minecraft! it had a roof and 4 walls but that's about it. I'm pretty much like that guy

Orayn

Now we're getting abstract, but I'd consider "current flow" to be physically moving things around. Virtually, at least, in minecraft. LOL if that makes sense.

Yeah, Redstone logic circuits are designed kind of like real electric circuits if the electricity was "slow," could only have a single value of current, and stopped existing after traveling an arbitrary distance. I guess that makes them a bit more like hydraulics in a certain sense.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah, Redstone logic circuits are designed kind of like real electric circuits if the electricity was "slow" and the current stopped existing after traveling an arbitrary distance. I guess that makes them a bit more like hydraulics in a certain sense.

I remember in highschool AP Physics 2, way way back, we made physical logic gates as a class project. All these designs need something to "go" you know, to drive the thing. We used gravity as ours, which pulled marbles down our gates.

In retrospect, that class really prepared me for my further college courses conceptually.

shandy706

Waiting for Minecraft players to build fully functional PC pushing better graphics than PS4 and X1.

I give it 2-3 years.

I'm waiting genius Minecraft players.

Orayn

Waiting for Minecraft players to build fully functional PC pushing better graphics than PS4 and X1.

I give it 2-3 years.

Ha, not while the game still runs on Java. Putting simulated computers inside of a video a game running in a virtual machine makes for some pretty gnarly performance overhead.

Lol at the people here who say.

"It is not that impressive"

And then never create something that is equally as impressive.

Some people just always like to shit on other people's creativity.

Krejlooc

Banned

I give it 2-3 years.

Minecraft builders have already built implimentations of half-adders, adders, and ALUs. They've already built turing-complete machines in Minecraft.

This has already been accomplished, long ago, save the "better graphics" part.

Krejlooc

Banned

There isn't a single person in this topic who has called this unimpressive.

Orayn

They're also profoundly missing the point, because the impressiveness comes from the game's various mechanisms allowing the player to simulate real life devices in such a novel way.

Top Bottom