• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone built a fully functional 1 KB Hard Drive... in Minecraft

NotBacon

How exactly are values displayed? Can Minecraft display text strings now?

8 "lamps" are lit to display the corresponding bits in the current byte. You could store a string, say using ASCII encoding, by storing the hex values of each byte of each character.

H -> 0x48
e -> 0x65
l -> 0x6C
l -> 0x6C
o -> 0x6F

So, Hello -> 01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111

He needs to go deeper. Like create a computer in Minecraft, and then play Minecraft on it and so on.
Universe will explode.

And then play Minecraft on THAT computer...

I have absolutely no clue what all this means

Google?

_Ryo_

First you have to create an HDD then you have to create an OS to run the software, then you have to port Minecraft to the OS within the game HDD.

The only way this hard drive displays data is a series of labeled lights.

You could theoretically arrange those lamps in a grid to make a monochrome dot-matrix display that could show text or graphics. People have also made color displays that use pistons to push colored blocks into desired locations.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Seems like Mojang would've thrown tinkerers a bone by now and given them a cube you could write texture values to.

Technically, the thing this person made could be more accurately described as a RAM cache, as calling it a "hard drive" would indicate the drive platter mechanism had been recreated.

FrsDvl

I feel so stupid. I couldn't figure out what KB stood for, I decided it was Ketabyte. Then I realized it's a kilo byte.

That's what happens when you start thinking in gigabytes

Orayn

Yeah, that's what I figured. Seems like Mojang would've thrown tinkerers a bone by now and given them a cube you could write texture values to.

Technically, the thing this person made could be more accurately described as a RAM cache, as calling it a "hard drive" would indicate the drive platter mechanism had been recreated.

Yeah, it's a solid state storage device of sorts, and "hard drive" is just a way of describing it that people will understand since it does have store data in a semi-permanent way. Notions of volatile vs. non-volatile are kind of weird in Minecraft because of the way Redstone works, though.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
The Singularity is upon us

Well, when somebody builds something in Minecraft that writes the next version of Minecraft by itself, then we've made it to the Singularity.

Pretty sure that's when Minecrafter will also rename itself to Skynet.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
At this point, i won't be surprised if someone create a minecraft or playstation emulator in minecraft.

I tip my hat to this awesome fellows

Absolutely incredible. I can scarcely imagine the effort, thought, and planning that goes into a project like this, much less pulling it off successfully.

I kneel in awe before you, Someone. (Psst! I don't know the creator's name...)

NotBacon

Absolutely incredible. I can scarcely imagine the effort, thought, and planning that goes into a project like this, much less pulling it off successfully.

I kneel in awe before you, Someone. (Psst! I don't know the creator's name...)

I imagine it's not too difficult if you're already an engineer. It's just drawing up a schematic to figure out the components you need, then trying to figure out how to make them in Minecraft, then actually building them. Probably more time consuming than anything, so I've still gotta hand it to the guy...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is nuts!

I don't want to divert from the topic at hand but man oh man I'm starting to think that WE ARE IN A SIMULATION OURSELVES "irl" :(

i seriously have no idea what's going on in that mineception video and what's so crazy about it

Never played minecraft for more than 10 minutes

red731

burrowing-owl-8944-ron-dudley.jpg
I am amazed af. Bravo.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Pffft. He did it in Creative Mode. Call me when he manages to get all the resources he needs to build it in Survival.

/s Yes. I'm an asshole.

Top Bottom