• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone explain to me portable fighting games.

Salsa

No that would be the only reason you'd get your shit kicked in a fighting game.

I disagree.

I find it is absolutely better to play with a gamepad that has a good build quality, feel and a better placement of the buttons (if there are 6 of them) for example.

There's a reason besides sponsors of why pro players play with what they play.

Ravage

They have gameplay that are perfect for gaming on the go. The training mode for instance, is something i'll never want to play when i'm at home. It's the complete opposite when i'm on the bus.

Besides, the stick issue doesn't apply to me as i play exclusively with a pad.

I think it often is. Especially if you're using some pad from hell like the 360 one. A lot of people can master the pad and do just fine, sure. In terms of raw input, specifically the likelihood of unintentionally hitting a diagonal, a pad is at a significant advantage. Console ports correct for this, by the way. Play an unmodified arcade game on your PC. You're expected to hit a diagonal for a forward jump pretty much spot-on, not the relaxed inputs in something like SFIV for consoles that lets you slide into that motion with some forgiveness.

Those accidental inputs are why SNK created the click stick for their home platforms. It gives you the assured control of an arcade stick while allowing you to hold a smaller input device in your hand. They didn't go out of their way like that for no reason.

On higher tiers, I think this goes away. For SF games, there is history there so pad players are rare. I think the Tekken scene has lots of pad players, though, or at least I faced some locally at the arcade who brought their pads, and it seems like whenever I've seen a pad player over the years, it's usually been for that game. They must know what they're doing if they get that far. For lower tiers (I.E., 99% of us, even good players), having a lower chance of wrong inputs definitely affects the likelihood of winning, especially if the skill levels are close.

Pad v. stick pretty much comes down entirely to preference.

I play stick pretty much entirely. But when I sit down with friends after some drinks and play Mahvel, I play pad. I don't drop my combos, I don't mistake inputs.

Same with SF4. I don't drop my 1-frame links on pad while playing Rose. And I'm by no means a pro. I'm pretty much a huge scrub!

Wolfkrone CAN play stick. And he still bodies just as well as he does with pad.

Then there's also setups for games. SF is 6 buttons. Tekken is 4. Marvel is 6 (counting assists). etc.

Skilletor

I disagree.

I find it is absolutely better to play with a gamepad that has a good build quality, feel and a better placement of the buttons (if there are 6 of them) for example.

I've never once thought the reason I lost was because of the tools somebody else used. If I'm losing it's my fault. if I need a better stick/controller, that's on me, or learn to use what I've got.

That's a bizarre line of thought, imo.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I disagree.

Yeah it's what they learned fighting games on. Stick or pad is just preference. You see a lot of Tekken players on pad because Tekken had a good home port earlier. Most Street Fighter players play on stick because they grew up in the arcades. There hasn't been a good SF home port until SF4 probably.

Or like whatever. idk

I have Alpha 3 on GBA and it's funny to play a 6 button game with 4 buttons.

OmegaZero

MK9's story is completely overrated. Bleach DS 2nd is probably the best portable fighter in terms of an original portable fighter.

Loved that game to death.
I actually had a ranked match with the "Head Captain" awhile ago (as in a year or something) and won pretty easily, but discovered that he was a rage-quitter. :/
After that, every time I found myself matched with him, he'd rage-quit at the character select screen.

Mzo

I know man, but there's no way of knowing if you're fighting against someone with a better built arcade stick/gamepad and you're gettin your shit kicked out because of that or because of your level of skill.

That's silly. If you're wondering that, it's probably skill level.

I learned to play in the arcades, so using a pad for me is uncomfortable as hell. Not having the buttons laid out in front of me for EX or supers is unthinkable, but that's just me. TEs are readily available and affordable this gen, and they feel perfect to me completely unmodified.

I've seen people like WolfKrone win tournaments on a stock Dual Shock. It you are comfortable playing on a pad, the DS is great.

You should go into the fight assuming your opponent has perfect execution until he proves otherwise. If you have trouble with your personal input method, then fix it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
NeoGeo Pocket Color had SNK vs Capcom: Match of The Millennium, still one of the best fighting games to ever be made with one of the best analogue sticks to be used on the console. That will change your mind, even if you can't find multiplayer the single player aspect is quite rich. This is a title different and in my opinion more fun than the console SNK vs Capcoms.

Some titles just don't exist elsewhere.

Jump Ultimate Stars for example on DS is a giant crossover of various comic characters such as Dragonball Z and Kinnikuman and Naruto and more. Yet beyond that and in a Super Smash Brothers style, it has a hectic 2D platforming combat system that is fun to play through, both single player and online bouts up to four people.
Add in a nice puzzle/assist like system with plenty of challenges in single player and you have a game that can be enjoyed for quite some time. Also a story, if that matters at all.

For anything that is just the same as the console version, then as stated you can play away from your tele. In some cases like PSP, sometimes it was the only console me and me mates all shared and we could play against each other.

Salsa

There is no advantage of playing on an arcade stick. Arcade sticks don't magically make you better.

Yeah it's what they learned fighting games on. Stick or pad is just preference. You see a lot of Tekken players on pad because Tekken had a good home port earlier. Most Street Fighter players play on stick because they grew up in the arcades. There hasn't been a good SF home port until SF4 probably.

Or like whatever. idk

I have Alpha 3 on GBA and it's funny to play a 6 button game with 4 buttons.

not strickly saying gamepad vs arcade stick here dudes.

first post wasnt even talking about my stance but rather how i know this is an issue a lot of people have (i have more than one friend who havent bought fighting games until they get a proper controller/arcade stick)

Equal grounds for everyone playing. No arcade stick advantage.

gT63Z.gif

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
not strickly saying gamepad vs arcade stick here dudes.

first post wasnt even talking about my stance but rather how i know this is an issue a lot of people have (i have more than one friend who havent bought fighting games until they get a proper controller/arcade stick)

Then what are you saying. A shitty pad vs. a well made one?

Unless your control method stops working I see no advantage either way.

Platy

OP is comparing EVO to Pocket Fighter.

As much as I would LOVE to see Pocket Fighter, Gal Fighters, Jump Superstars or any other awesome portable fighter on EVO, they are OTHER kind of fighting games.

Also, there are people who want to "train" while outside

Salsa

Then what are you saying. A shitty pad vs. a well made one?

Unless your control method stops working I see no advantage either way.

pretty much, at least in terms of build quality and such.

Again, i know where you guys are getting at in that with enough practice you can master the game with any sort of input, and i do believe that. Im just speaking from my experience and from real opinions ive heard mostly from friends.

I ussually play with either a fight pad with all six buttons as face buttons or an arcade stick. I have tried playing with a regular pad and i suck. As you said: this is probably because i became good with the way im used to play, not because the other way is inferior. It is to me.

As for the equal grounds comment: this is a real complaint that ive heard from friends. I recently wanted to gift a fighting game on steam to a buddy of mine for example, and he refused to accept it as he "knew he would suck playing with a gamepad against me on an arcade stick".

Wether this is true or not it is the way some people think, and portable fighting games skip that. TheSeks agreed with me on the previous page for probably the same reasons.

already explained what i was refering to with that. Not saying arcade sticks are better than pads.

d0c_zaius

you can still learn matchups, training mode, not having to listen or watch a shitty performance/whatever sucks, etc. I don't see why fighting games can't be portable friendly especially for those that don't have to drive.

BB and MK vita have a shitton of content.

Gimmie a portable KOF with good netcode and I'll play that errday until Evo. Same with VF5: FS!

PSP had a bunch of good fighter ports, from most SNK and Capcom stuff. Before it came down to using a bluetooth controller on a PSP go, but now theres actually a legit dpad out there.

Although I don't know how SFxT is going to play well on portable(s).

Someone has to be buying them

As for me, I can't stand them. The only game I feel more comfortable on a pad is Tekken, and I usually I play that with my controller on my thigh.

Mzo

Can you, personally, perform the actions you need to perform in the game with the input method of your choice?

If yes, the other person's control method shouldn't matter at all.

If no, either switch to whatever you prefer or practice with what you have. The other person's controller still doesn't matter here.

Grakl

I've never liked any ports of fighting games to the portables (Street Fighter, Tekken, etc.), but games like Bleach: Blade of Fate (what a surprise that one was) and Jump Ultimate Stars I loved.

El Sloth

Banned
As for the equal grounds comment: this is a real complaint that ive heard from friends. I recently wanted to gift a fighting game on steam to a buddy of mine for example, and he refused to accept it as he "knew he would suck playing with a gamepad against me on an arcade stick".

Wether this is true or not it is the way some people think, and portable fighting games skip that. TheSeks agreed with me on the previous page for probably the same reasons.
My brother makes the same complaint. I try to explain to him it's because he doesn't block and refuses to throw (Soul Calibur), but of course he doesn't listen. Always wants to blame something/someone else.

Sorry about that, but your comment just immediately brought him to mind.

Jimrpg

i agree with OP. ive never understood portable fighting games either.

The biggest issue is that its not the same game playing on a dpad face and shoulder buttons as it is on a stick and buttons laid out nicely.

Do ppl who play both versions treat the portable version as more of a casual game?

Do ppl who play both versions treat the portable version as more of a casual game?

I treat every game I own as a "casual game". And I love fighting games, casually I guess. I still play Street Fighter Alpha 3 on my Gameboy Micro to this day.

It's not like I'm gritting my teeth when I play a console fighting game online, clawing away at wins. I don't care if I win or lose. Next match please.

Ken

I use a stick on consoles, but since I can play UMvC3 and SFIV3D just fine without the stick I pick those ports up so I can play away from the TV.

It's nice to be able to play a few matches right before bed or practice combos while waiting for class to start.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
i agree with OP. ive never understood portable fighting games either.

The biggest issue is that its not the same game playing on a dpad face and shoulder buttons as it is on a stick and buttons laid out nicely.

I am pretty sure 95% (if not 99%) of the millions who bought the console fighters are playing it on a gamepad and not a stick.

Celine

Plugged more than 100 hours in SSF43D through online matches so that virtually validate fighting games on portables for me.

Oh and SNK vs Capcom on NGP is godly although I strictly play it single player only.

the only reason i want to get a playstation vita is because of ultimate marvel vs capcom 3. i freaking love umvc3, its just an absolute blast to play.

otherwise, i dont care for anything else...

K701

Banned
Arcade stick advantage=

Pianoing
Plinking
Wave dashing when you can't map 3p to a single button
Characters that require you to hold a button for an extended ammount of time (mm mvc, zero mvc3, carl bb)

Those are all much easier to do on stick.

Pad advantage=

Hilde on SC4 lol

Deal with it.

quick to get into, fun and on the go. I love portable fighters so much I'm even considering picking up mortal kombat, a game I wouldn't go near on console.

I have plenty of fun just in training mode with infinite meter and very hard CPU on umvc vita.

Awesome portable fighting game series. Not possible on consoles
Jump Super/Ultimate Stars

1304635955jump_superstars_ace%20(1).gif

I've played this but no English is a turn off after a while.

fun game dough.

My friends who go around on tournaments in Tekken, buy all the games for both PSP and consoles so they can train no matter where they are.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair to the history of portable fighters, Vita legitimizes them a fair amount by having an outstanding d-pad for a change - compared to just about every previous portable game device.

Shit's actually fully playable on the pad.
This is so good to hear. Makes the inevitable Vita purchase all the more worth it.

I'm gonna love being able to have a quick fighting game fix on the commute to and from work. SFxT, MvC3... maybe it'll even get me into some regular Tekken.

I wonder if PSN games will ever be playable on the Vita. Fully-working/legit 3rd Strike on the go would be a dream come true.

Jump Ultimate Stars is one of the best DS games.

FACT.

Yep what an amazing game. The online was so great! Even though some people eventually figured out some cheap tactics, it was still possible to beat them if you didn't give up and had a good team set up.

Platy

Awesome portable fighting game series. Not possible on consoles
Jump Super/Ultimate Stars

Actualy the WiiU is made for this game ...

....fuck, now i'm way too hyped to something that will never happen and IF happen, will never have a translation =|

Cels

pick any stick you want, you'll probably lose to Wolfkrone/Vangief (who will use a pad) in SF4. same goes for Fanatiq in MvC3.

leroidys

Outside of Match of the Millenium on the NGPC, they're pretty useless for me. That game added a hell of a lot of extras, some fun modes, and it had great controls.

I can't play without an arcade stick and the last time I played the computer in a fighting game was vanilla SF4 to unlock characters. And I hated every second of it.

Yes yes yes. Best portable fighting game ever.

shaowebb

Equal grounds for everyone playing. No arcade stick advantage.

Not sure if serious with this. Ask Sixfortyfive if he gives a solid damn about me and my sticks. Its the player more than the equipment. Yeah I can tatsu easier with a stick than a pad and do things like piano and such but its not a big enough deal that you can say someone playing with a stick is on better footing than someone on a pad. Equal grounds? That only means each player is playing with the tool they are most comfortable with.

My stick is no match for his better practiced pad play. Him or his other pad warrior buds really. All of them are solid and practice more than I do and it shows. It all comes down to who knows their characters and matchups and can read the fight better.

Salsa

Not sure if serious with this. Ask Sixfortyfive if he gives a solid damn about me and my sticks. Its the player more than the equipment. Yeah I can tatsu easier with a stick than a pad and do things like piano and such but its not a big enough deal that you can say someone playing with a stick is on better footing than someone on a pad. Equal grounds? That only means each player is playing with the tool they are most comfortable with.

My stick is no match for his better practiced pad play. Him or his other pad warrior buds really. All of them are solid and practice more than I do and it shows. It all comes down to who knows their characters and matchups and can read the fight better.

adressed this in subsequent posts. I dont disagree. OP asked to explain portable fighting games and what im saying there is that this is the line of thinking for many people

They're great for airplanes. Bleach: The Blade of Fate and Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo Revival are both wonderful travel games, Bleach especially.

shaowebb

adressed this in subsequent posts. I dont disagree. OP asked to explain portable fighting games and what im saying there is that this is the line of thinking for many people

Okay. Then I'll say this for portable fighters and the ones I've seen people mention. A lot use them to try to memorize what trades or punishes and possibly hit boxes. Some who have the inputs solid are able to still practice combos and then memorize the moves instead of the muscle memory inputs to go home later and grind them out for console use. Its just a way to keep up the labwork while on the go. Rarely have I ever seen folks meet up and play vs on these things, but I've heard of a lot of folks checking theories on them while they are out doing stuff with folks. Outside of Dissidia I've rarely heard of folks going all in on a handheld for competitive stuff and Dissidia was only on handhelds and you could still component cable the PSP to play it on a television for sets.

Portable is there to suplement training as a tool on the go or to just mess around in if you are that big of a fan of just plain playing fighters in general.

Top Bottom