• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 4 Ep 2 Screenshots - Features Sonic On Tails Action

BiggNife

I kind of liked Mad Gear's music in Ep1
smith.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Definitely an improvement over Episode 1. Why can't they use the same engine/look of Sonic Generations?!
Probably because using the Hedgehog Engine would make the game larger than the PSN/XBLA limit (what was it, 2 GB for XBLA games now?). Not completely sure here, though, and using Unleashed's and Generations' file sizes isn't really a good comparison since those games are longer than Sonic 4's expected length.

I wasn't expecting Sonic 4 to make use of the Hedgehog Engine anyway.

EmCeeGramr said:
Those synth samples are so bad that they manage to make regular songs worse. :lol :lol

Dammit, Senoue.

Shiloa

Looks good. I much prefer Sonic 4's close up camera to Generation's. It makes it much easier to see what's going on.

Truth is I dunno, but if it were surely the physics would be right? They got them right in Generations.

The Generations physics have very little in common with the classic games. This includes Sonic not gaining momentum while rolling downhill in a ball, the jump arc, jump height, speed coming out of a spindash, ect...

The Generations physics have very little in common with the classic games. This includes Sonic not gaining momentum while rolling downhill in a ball, the jump arc, jump height, speed coming out of a spindash, ect...

I'm not sure if it was because classic Sonic was in the game, or what, but somehow a good number of people got tricked into thinking the physics were right. They were close, but there were still lots of problems.

Kokonoe

Banned
My only issue with Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations, is that the spindash is quite overpowered, and just puts you all over the place instantly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They have said previously that the game would see hugely updated visuals and physics. We've seen the visuals now, so that does speak good for the physics.

Also, we've seen 3 zones. One is the Aquatic Ruins-like zone (though they did say one stage would be a bit rehashy for story purposes), the next is the Snow/Carnival stage. Finally, we see briefly a Desert/Base stage.

Online and offline co-op is a huge plus, now to wait for gameplay and to hope the music is good and we're set. I do have some confidence after Sonic Colors and Generations, however.

Nert

I'm not sure if it was because classic Sonic was in the game, or what, but somehow a good number of people got tricked into thinking the physics were right.

Classic Sonic clearly had a physics model that was different than the Genesis games, but it was at least fun to control him. I haven't played it myself, but the gifs tell me that the way Sonic controlled in Sonic 4 was horrible whether or not it's placed in the context of the Genesis games.

My only issue with Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations, is that the spindash is quite overpowered, and just puts you all over the place instantly.

My problem is that most springs and ramps take you on a set flight path, rolling slows you down, and bouncing on enemies have a set hight.

Classic Sonic clearly had a physics model that was different than the Genesis games, but it was at least fun to control him.

Not for me. Having freedom taken away from you is not fun.

I haven't played it myself, but the gifs tell me that the way Sonic controlled in Sonic 4 was horrible whether or not it's placed in the context of the Genesis games.

This is true.

Berordn

I'm not sure if it was because classic Sonic was in the game, or what, but somehow a good number of people got tricked into thinking the physics were right.

The levels were actually designed around those physics though. Sonic 4's levels were clearly designed for momentum he doesn't have.

Zen

Banned

So they definetly have some sort of dual attack ability now, interesting.

I'm not sure if it was because classic Sonic was in the game, or what, but somehow a good number of people got tricked into thinking the physics were right. They were close, but there were still lots of problems.

They weren't even that close, there's a reason that generations had no real slopes and half pipes and everything was just a speedy straight line; the physics did a good job of faking one third of actual sonic gameplay.

Also, we've seen 3 zones. One is the Aquatic Ruins-like zone (though they did say one stage would be a bit rehashy for story purposes), the next is the Snow/Carnival stage. Finally, we see briefly a Desert/Base stage.

I thought the carnival might be separate from the snow area, but maybe it's not. Hopefully it's not.

They weren't even that close, there's a reason that generations had no real slopes and half pipes and everything was just a speedy straight line; the physics did a good job of faking one third of actual sonic gameplay.

That would be those lots of problems I was talking about.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They fixed that in Sonic Generations 3DS. Classic Sonic's physics in that version were actually fine.

Feindflug

They seem to be using some 3D now, however, which is a cause for concern. Hopefully they maintain 60 fps. The lower framerate of Generations on consoles was a real downer.

Generations was a mess technically, it run at sub-HD resolution and 30fps with drops...the 2D sections are almost unplayable for me - can't believe that Sega didn't focus more on making the game run at 60fps. :(

Usually I don't want sequels a year after a game comes out, but I would do some stuff for Rayman Origins 2 and Sonic Generations 2 this year. Between those and Mario 3D Land it was the best year for platformers in a loooooong time

Hey lets not count out 2010, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Meat Boy, Mega Man 10, Sonic Colours and Kirby's Epic Yarn.
Or does Sonic 4 Episode 1 invalidate the above?

Episode 2 should have connectivity to episode 1 Sonic 3 and knuckles style, it could give you the ability to play episode 1 with better physics.

Generations was a mess technically, it run at sub-HD resolution and 30fps with drops...the 2D sections are almost unplayable for me - can't believe that Sega didn't focus more on making the game run at 60fps. :(
If you think your PC can handle it I'd really recommend getting Generations on Steam, since the higher resolution and 60fps makes controlling Sonic at high speeds far more manageable. Honestly I'm not the kind to usually care about PC versus console gaming, but this was seriously one of the biggest unexpected jumps in quality I've personally ever had going from switching platforms (bar something like the Elder Scrolls games I guess).

Episode 2 should have connectivity to episode 1 Sonic 3 and knuckles style, it could give you the ability to play episode 1 with better physics.
Should I feel bad that if this game proves to be much more of a crowd pleasure than the previous game was I'd want Episode 1 redone in this style, with redone level designs and whatever other extra touches this game might have (I'm guessing it has S3&K-style level transitions now) added?

Zen

Banned
Other posters have already pointed out that the game will have 2 player offline and online co-op (the online is a great touch).

This shot reminds me of that 3D Sonic fangame that popped up around the release of Episode 1. If released now everything might look a little rough (color is still a little off) but man this looks good and is a big step up.

Things we can see in these shots:

Oh snap, the Death Egg returns.

You can see it even more clearly in one of the other screenshots, and it is indeed.

Death Egg is being rebuilt around a planet (Planet from Colors? Little Planet from Sonic CD? EARTH?)

Each level might lead into the other (we see Sonic and Tails running down a snowy mountain, and other shots show the environment they end up in)

Sonic and Tails have a combined attack ability, and we see them both 'jumping' together.

There's a strange TV Monitor showing a picture of them, maybe a tutorial system for how to use said 2 player mechanics.

I wonder if the game will force 2 player making their combined abilities key to progression, or if you'll have the ability to play solo as either character.

gosox333

Oh, please let that Christmas snow zone be something completely different from the Amusement Park zone. That has the potential to ooze atmosphere, something nothing from ep 1 was able to do. I would prefer it wasn't mixed in with the traditional "bright lights entertainment" zone.

I saw somebody else notice that it seemed like that screenshot with the Christmasey trees was a transition between zones. I hope that's the case.

Also, getting new info is awesome, but we still know nothing about how it plays. Way too soon to call it an improvement.

Should I feel bad that if this game proves to be much more of a crowd pleasure than the previous game was I'd want Episode 1 redone in this style, with redone level designs and whatever other extra touches this game might have (I'm guessing it has S3&K-style level transitions now) added?

No need to feel bad, i'd like it as well, it would feel odd to say "well Sonic 4 sucks because episode 1 is crappy but episode 2 is great (hopefully) meaning that Sonic 4 is also not that bad".
I don't think the level design was too much of a problem with Sonic 4 compared to the rest of the flaws so maybe it would take less work to salvage it than one would expect. I'd expect the episodes to come together at some point and having some sort of unity between them would be nice.
Also if the games linked together they could skip that awful boss rush and final boss stage from episode 1.

I kind of liked Mad Gear's music in Ep1
smith.gif
Honestly, a lot of the compositions were fine. Splash Hill 1 and 2, Mad Gear 1 and 3 in particular. Some compositions were definitely poor, though. The boss themes come to mind; as cute as it was seeing the beta Sonic 3D music get reused, it really didn't fit a boss theme, and while the "pinch" phase fit a boss theme more, its melody was so short as to wear out its welcome within a single minute of listening. Still, I feel those were in the minority.

Problem was, the instruments used were horrible. They didn't sound anything like what you'd hear on the Genesis, which was apparently what was being attempted. The drums were about the only genuinely retro thing in there, and yet they felt shoehorned in. Just bleh, all around.

ShinNL

Wow, you guys are good. With so many positive comments I was surely expecting a sonic cycle image, but I scrolled and scrolled and checked all the pages and didn't see any. So I started ctrl+f'ing and only found 1 comment about the cycle. So... no Sonic Cycle. Amazing :D

Now the game itself: Sonic 4 had so many negative press, it's kinda weird that they would make a new episode for it that seems to look a lot better (Sonic Generations engine?).

That said, I bought Generations but still haven't played it :|

Wow, they actually improved upon the first episode to a point that this one looks... good? Damn, now I'm excited for this
for now
, while Ep1 looked awful from the very beginning (even before we knew about the physics and such) Colours and Generations were also decent, so I'm hoping for the best.

Now the game itself: Sonic 4 had so many negative press, it's kinda weird that they would make a new episode for it that seems to look a lot better (Sonic Generations engine?).

It's not too surprising; Episode 1 may of wound up simply infuriating the audience SEGA claimed to be marketing it to initially, but overall quite a few reviewers gave it a break for being 2D and not being Shadow or Sonic '06 (I would've personally reviewed it in the context of DIMPS' other Sonic games instead of the 3D games they had nothing to do with) and the game still broke over a million sales. So in regards to $$$ it makes perfect sense to make a sequel with noticeably better production values. Yet it'll be sadly ironic if this game winds up being a lot closer to what you'd expect out of a 'Sonic 4' but doesn't sell as well.

nns3d

This shot reminds me of that 3D Sonic fangame that popped up around the release of Episode 1. If released now everything might look a little rough (color is still a little off) but man this looks good and is a big step up.

My thoughts exactly.

BIG upgrade from Episode 1. Hope it plays well too. Didn't think the level design from Ep. 1 was offensive (I've only played the demo), but the physics do need to be tweaked.

EDIT2: I hope Sonic's running animation looks better in motion, it looks so weird in the screenshots. The old school running animation hasn't looked good with Modern Sonic at all.

BHZ Mayor

It looks nice, but I'm still gonna wait to see how it plays before getting my hopes up. Mainly to see if they got rid of midair dime stopping, face first blockade breaking, and uncurling.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Problem was, the instruments used were horrible. They didn't sound anything like what you'd hear on the Genesis, which was apparently what was being attempted. The drums were about the only genuinely retro thing in there, and yet they felt shoehorned in. Just bleh, all around.
Compositionally, it was fine. Look for any fanmix on YT and it sounds good.

Someone just needs to buy Senoue better synth samples.

Wow, you guys are good. With so many positive comments I was surely expecting a sonic cycle image, but I scrolled and scrolled and checked all the pages and didn't see any. So I started ctrl+f'ing and only found 1 comment about the cycle. So... no Sonic Cycle. Amazing :D
A lot of us ended up getting really annoyed by people continuously saying that nonsense for games that didn't even relate to it, so I think people may have stopped doing it because of that.

Zen

Banned
Plus, the games are actually ending up generally good now, so posting that image is seen as damaging and trolling.

Lijik

Screens look legitimately decent, not gonna lie. The new locations look neat, that Metal Sonic chase has a cool setup, and I especially love the special stage screen.

But the homing trail of Bubbles right here:
doesn't inspire much hope for the level design.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Lol. Funny cuz true, etc.

Also, am I the only person sick of Metal Sonic?

What has Metal Sonic done in the last 10 years to make you sick of him? The only relevant things would be turning into a unicorn dragon in Heroes, and being a boss in Generations. He hasn't done anything else really except appear in the Rival games and some of the spin-offs.

Lijik

Wait, this doesn't look like a steaming pile of shit like the first game?

HOW ARE THE PHYSICS?!

If its anything like Generations 3DS (also by Dimps), they're solid.

If the level design is anything like Generations 3DS, I'd still be worried.

TheOGB

Banned
Let's buzz in right now: The new Death Egg is being built around Little Planet. If we're right, we all get a cookie.

Screens look legitimately decent, not gonna lie. The new locations look neat, that Metal Sonic chase has a cool setup, and I especially love the special stage screen.

But the homing trail of Bubbles right here:

doesn't inspire much hope for the level design.

Yes, this. I like how everything doesn't look cheap as shit anymore, and thank god for what looks like actual level progression, but seriously, the only other trail of Bubbles in this game better be in the underwater zone.

So ummm.. Episode 3 will have Knuckles fisting action?
oh goddammit

SykoTech

Fairly pleased with this.

+Looks pretty good graphically. A million times better than Episode I for sure. Would have been better using Classic models though, but it's nice.
+3 of the zones seem kinda original looking.
+Looks like level transitions from Sonic 3 & Knuckles are finally back! Yes!

However....

-Bubbles trail. Bleh.
-Sonic 2 Special Stage again. The half-pipe has been done to death.
-One of the zones looks like a direct rip of Aquatic Ruin.

As big of a Sonic fan as I am, I never bothered buying Episode I. The demo was a turn off, and all the impressions from those who did buy it kept me away forever. Might get this one though. Need to see some gameplay first, of course. Here's hoping they were serious about that new physic engine. Level design needs some serious improvement over the first Episode too.

nns3d

I think the Sonic 2 special stages are justified this time around though, since Ep.1's special stages were inspired by Sonic 1.

Top Bottom