• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 gameplay trailer

clav

Looks like the physics haven't changed.

Running looks like episode 1.

Is Sonic 4 supposed to be a series to destroy the childhoods for people who grew up in the 90s?

Vidiot

I'm no expert, but he seemed to move/control the same as episode !. It didn't look to control like classic Sonic. I'm out if it's like episode 1.

It looked alright. Really basic, and it sort of had a handheld vibe to me. None the less it should be fun, I just hope they really studied the Genesis era games.

Visually it sort of looks like an nice arcade game, the visuals are a little rough but they are appealing and certainly have a better style than Ep1 IMO.

J@hranimo

Banned
Did they use a different version of the menu music from Sonic All Stars Racing? It does look better than Episode 1, but I'm gonna have to play a demo for my final verdict.

Liamario

Banned
Still has the stupid bloody homing attack.
Still looks very similar to episode one.
Still disappointed with Sega's destruction of a once great IP.

I'm not entirely sure how you guys can tell physics from something like this. The issues arising around Sonic 4 Episode 1's physics weren't obvious until the leak happened, when we had uncut gameplay footage from somebody who wasn't playing the game because they were paid to advertise it.

The only thing I can think of, of note, is that this trailer shows both Sonic and Tails spinning in to ball form a lot more - which is a good thing, because that's something Episode 1 pretty flatly discouraged. But it also shows it in such a way that suggests the only time Sonic or Tails spins in this trailer is because of either a spindash or a booster.

Don't mistake this as defense for the way this game controls, all I'm saying is that it's still too early to tell anything about "physics", good or bad.

Everything else looks a lot better than Episode 1, though. It's a bit weird to see what basically looks to be the Drill Wisp from Sonic Colors:

uhkAo.jpg

TimmiT

The Taxman (the guy who made the new version of Sonic CD) said this on Sonic Retro:
Don't expect Mega Drive physics, but do expect the major grievances such as the infamous inertia-killing deceleration and uncurling to be gone.
Take that as you will.

I currently don't have sound as I'm at school, but is the music original and not one of SEGA's "epic" songs used in the other trailers? The trailer makes it look fun but there's no way to determine how the physics are from the trailer. It certainly looks better than what we got with Episode I though.

Homing attack and speed boosters still prevalent, however it does look fun. I can't get too excited until I get a genuine idea of the level design and physics however.

One thing I'm pretty impressed about is the amount of variety there seems to be within stages, trope-wise. If what we saw is just two levels, then there is a lot of changes in environment within the acts, which pleases me. The winter carnival stage branches off into two almost entirely different environments, and the marble garden-esque stage goes from dusk to nightfall, underwater, through caves, etc. Again, 4 stages is pretty lowly of them but they're doing a lot with the tropes they've put together.

SykoTech

Ugh. Was expecting some actual gameplay footage, not another heavily cut one. Didn't look bad, but I definitely need to see more than that.

And an option to turn off the Homing Attack is still a must.

jman2050

If the ridiculous momentum coming to a dead stop in the air issue is fixed, that's already a huge improvement in and of itself.

Now just have to wait for people to actually play it.

I think it's a significant improvement over what we've seen for Episode I. I like the new art direction and the stage design looks more interesting. However, I'd like to see a more conventional gameplay video or walkthrough. The partner mechanics look neat.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Lijik

Join me in the crowd thats wondering how anyone can infer anything about physics from this.
Its just a bunch of quick clips mostly of Sonic at top speed. The main problem is that it looks like the level design just hurtles you along most of the time.

Like Im not even trying to defend this game, but guys. Come on.
You could probably cut the originals in a similar manner

Shiloa

Looks good and a progression from Episode 1. Anyone expecting a massive change from Ep1 are kidding themselves - you aren't going to get this mythical "classic" Sonic. Hopefully it'll be tweaked and there is some more original content.

I'm hoping the music is placeholder or something? It seems odd they're using the S&SASR tune

qq more

The only weird thing I've noticed is how Sonic seems a tad too slow when running down a steep slope in one of the footages.

Not a big deal though, but I hope you can roll down slopes to pick up a lot of speed.

@Shiloa: Sega has the tendency to not use in-game music on their games' first gameplay trailers. I think the only time they've ever used in-game music is when they do trailers for specific levels (or eras for Generations) or general trailers of their ports (like Sonic CD)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm gonna pray the issues actually are fixed, 'cause the movement in that vid looked like Ep. 1

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah, but it's a shame they can't get the basics right first.

It's a shame that Dimps went from making a decent 2D Sonic game with the proper physics (Sonic Advance) to making subpar 2D Sonic games with the physics changed so much. How does that even work? Was it the change to Sonic Rush? Laziness?

I'm not entirely sure how you guys can tell physics from something like this. The issues arising around Sonic 4 Episode 1's physics weren't obvious until the leak happened, when we had uncut gameplay footage from somebody who wasn't playing the game because they were paid to advertise it.

The only thing I can think of, of note, is that this trailer shows both Sonic and Tails spinning in to ball form a lot more - which is a good thing, because that's something Episode 1 pretty flatly discouraged. But it also shows it in such a way that suggests the only time Sonic or Tails spins in this trailer is because of either a spindash or a booster.

Don't mistake this as defense for the way this game controls, all I'm saying is that it's still too early to tell anything about "physics", good or bad.

Everything else looks a lot better than Episode 1, though. It's a bit weird to see what basically looks to be the Drill Wisp from Sonic Colors:

uhkAo.jpg

Yeah pretty much. Due to the constant gameplay cuts I we can't really put a finger on how improved the physics are.

I do like some of the level design this go 'round, although the booster > spring > spring > booster gameplay is still present and homing attack will make things too easy...again.

I think in some of the clips the game is in Co-op mode because Tails is ahead of Sonic in one clip while in another Tails is jumping independently from Sonic.

RagnarokX

So, Dimps, why is Sonic still breaking walls with his face? Do you not get the point of breakable walls?

Sonic uncurls from a spin while going through a loop at 0:47

It's hard to tell if he maintains momentum while rolling up hill in this because every time he is rolling in this trailer there is a speedbooster or spring propelling him or he's doing the 69 roll with Tails.

Level design looks slightly better, but it still looks like Sonic 4.

Polar Bear badnik appears to be a normal enemy. That's a bad idea. Multi-hit enemies were part of why Sonic Heroes and every game after it sucked.

TreIII

It's a shame that Dimps went from making a decent 2D Sonic game with the proper physics (Sonic Advance) to making subpar 2D Sonic games with the physics changed so much. How does that even work? Was it the change to Sonic Rush? Laziness?

I think the main thing that could be blamed was Sega/Sonic Team themselves. After all, for better or worse, Dimps was only doing what they were told/paid to do and Sega seemed to get some notion that people only wanted "GOTTA GO FAST!". And that's essentially what the design philosophy became for the Advance and Rush series going forward.

SykoTech

The Taxman (the guy who made the new version of Sonic CD) said this on Sonic Retro:

Take that as you will.

Thanks, sounds good.

Not a fan of how Sonic just break things with his face though. They fixed that with Classic SOnic in Generations, why not here too?

Top Bottom