• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

blackflag

Lol i guess they literally are impossible, not just seem impossible.

I should have known after doing a complete lap on C class in the Super Monkey Ball level. I was retrying a whooole lot too.

Well I guess that explains it. How to progress then? It looks like I have to do a boost challenge to progress but I'm not looking at it right now. I'll check later.

Berordn

I mean we weren't masters like overnight or anything but it didn't take us very long at all to get the hang of it and own everything. We often played 2 player grand prix and once I got the lead, it was over. My brother was usually either in second or sucking and causing mayhem for the rest of us but still.

My memories of MK64 consist of constantly being knocked into the water in jungle. I never got how drifting worked though, so that probably explains enough.

Well I guess that explains it. How to progress then? It looks like I have to do a boost challenge to progress but I'm not looking at it right now. I'll check later.

If you fail 4 times on C rank, the game lets you bypass it. You won't be able to get the final rewards without completing them, but you should be able to get most of the stuff from World Tour if you manage to A and S rank the other events.

I've had Transformed's version of We Are Burning Rangers on loop for about 45 minutes now. sogood.gif

It's missing some of the polish that I typically expect from Mario Kart, but it does have a lot of fun ideas that Mario Kart could take into consideration for its next iteration. I would be a bit disappointed if the next Mario Kart deviated too differently from the classic formula though, I still like my traditional kart racers and Mario Kart seems like the last bastion now. I'd actually like to see Transformed continue as a separate series if they can keep it going strong.

You're some kind of freak :mad:

Mario Kart already has a winning formula, it's just becoming the same ol' lately. All it needs is crazier and more imaginative tracks instead of the vanilla ones we're seeing all the time.

I think Nintendo took a good step in MK7 with hang gliders and under water segments. And I liked the checkpoint tracks that mixed it up with the lap ones.

It didn't feel enough. I wanted to see really crazy levels. Perhaps the problem is that everything takes place in the Mario universe. Maybe the ideas are running thin. Maybe take a cue from Sumo and do insane track designs from other Nintendo franchises like Pikmin, Metroid, F-Zero, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, etc.

We need a Mario & Nintendo All-Stars Racing for the next MK, if that makes sense...
...or Ninendo & Sega All-Stars Racing? :O

Kokonoe

Banned
Online is pretty smooth while I was playing wireless.

I think the new drifting mechanics are an improvement, as it was far too easy to drift in the previous game. Hell, like I mentioned before, there was even a trick that allowed you to drift infinitely, even on straights.

Drifting takes actualy skill now, and requires you to learn the tracks, to determine which drift level boots you should go for on which corners. Between drifting being more demanding, and hitting a wall slowing you down a lot more than in the previous game, it's not always worth risking going for a better boost, but when you do pull it off, it's more rewarding (and more helpful, as the boosts in this game are more significant).

Drifting is little more difficult, but I'm not sure if it's a gap in skill that's involved with the new one, to me is just seems like it's just limited from the first in control. Either way, the infinite drift boost they could have removed that while keeping the old one intact, but this is really just preference vs preference. I prefer to have the most control possible, I think this topic is similar to Super Mario World VS Super Mario Bros. 3, one has more control, while the other is more stiffer. I prefer Super Mario World for that reason.

I also disagree with this. Items in this game are a lot better. In the previous game, as soon as a player built up a large enough lead, they were untouchable, as the items didn't travel far enough. This was compounded by the fact that All-Star moves weren't useable online, meaning that items didn't help you much at all.

I think the items in this are just right; the weaker ones don't feel useless, and the stronger ones don't break the game.

I like that Sumo went out of their way to make a Boost mode too; it removes all items, and adds more boost markers to each stage. So it becomes just a matter of pure driving and drifting.

Actually, the items aren't powerful enough to effect that. Well, the all-stars are better, but it's mainly their usage that's better because you can get it higher up instead of only like last place like the previous game. I have been smoking racers online almost in a similar way to the last game, however, the only difference is the catch-up feature in this game is more prominent. It's not the items at all, the balance in them are that some are amazing while some aren't that great. I mean, you can even dodge the lock on RC racer with a boost. I'd say the power of items in this is even weaker cause you don't have something that's as effective and common as the red rockets or triple red rockets.

I've never played this series before a few days ago, but my office mate (Josh Harmon from EGM) has been playing it non-stop to do his review. He was having some trouble with one of the challenges where a lot of drifting was involved, and I wanted to give it a shot. Having not played the game at all at that point, I beat the race in about three tries. As somebody who comes from playing a lot of Ridge Racer, it literally took me 20 seconds to get a perfect handle on the drifting in this game. From what little I played, I thought it felt buttery smooth.
My comparisons are from the first game to the last game, and the last game had more control. My point is I prefer the control over the vehicle the last game has, and since this is a sequel, of course I would be let down by this fact if it didn't appeal to me in the same way.

I asked Josh about this, and he vehemently disagrees with you. He's continually said while playing how impressed he is with the difficulty in the game when compared to other kart racers, and how nicely balanced Transformed has been. He's currently at Expert level, and he says up until this level the game has definitely felt more about being good than about the game just having the other racers be ridiculously hard to overcome.

Actually, AI is a big complaint so it's not just me with this one. That's probably the most common complaint and the only one I feel matters in the long run with this series. I can put up with the difficulty fine and regularly I play Kart Racers, but it's not really welcoming to newer players like the last one was. But I don't agree so much with that last part, because from what I've seen, the AI keep their spots.

Kokonoe, dont try to drift exactly the same as the first, I was doing that at first too and thought it was pretty annoying, but in this you dont always want to hold on for level 2 or 3 drifts, you want to chain level 1 drifts together where possible, once you get used to it it's actually really cool and makes you appreciate how well some of the tracks are laid out.
Yeah, I took that in mind after the first hour, it did mess me up pretty bad. I have the drifting down pat now, I just think the last game did it better but it could have had improvements to it as well. The drifting in this title kinda reminds me of Mario Kart Double Dash.
Give it some time, and unlearn everything from the first game. I think it's a much tighter experience when you get used to it, but it is a different beast from the first game.
I actually like this game, I just prefer the driving from the first one. I think this one is a good game all on it's own, and as I said before I think it's better than Mario Kart 7, I just kinda preferred the more fluid 'control' the last one had over the style this one portrays. It's not a bad game though.

My memories of MK64 consist of constantly being knocked into the water in jungle. I never got how drifting worked though, so that probably explains enough.

If you fail 4 times on C rank, the game lets you bypass it. You won't be able to get the final rewards without completing them, but you should be able to get most of the stuff from World Tour if you manage to A and S rank the other events.

No that's fine, that's a really dumb level to get used to. And actually learning how to drift makes the skill gaps even worse. We barely bothered with drifting. It just got really really easy when we did get the hang of it. You can own in that game without it.

I'm sorry but yea, the AI is brutal. I'm trying to imagine this A.I and armed with the broken weapons of Double Dash and it makes me shudder.

Kokonoe

Banned
On another subject, yes this game definitely has better graphics.

Here's a screenshot I took.

i9gTeNTcq98iT.png

Has there been any info on the difference between the 3DS and Vita versions will be? I know the Vita will be a port and the 3DS will be built from the ground up.

Does that mean extras for the 3DS version? Different tracks, characters, gameplay, etc.?

It's coming out in tomorrow and I know nothing about it!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Has there been any info on the difference between the 3DS and Vita versions will be? I know the Vita will be a port and the 3DS will be built from the ground up.

Does that mean extras for the 3DS version? Different tracks, characters, gameplay, etc.?

It's coming out in tomorrow and I know nothing about it!

Vita and 3DS version both got delayed to the second week in December.

Kokonoe

Banned
I guess this song that's in the Samba de Amigo stage means this song is from Samba. I first heard this song in Phantasy Star Online with the "Fake in Yellow" mission where you talk to the guy who's dressed as a Rappy, warp out, talk to a rock and see a Chao dancing who gives you a Tails Chao for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on Gamecube.

Almost pulled the trigger on the 360 version, but switched to the Wii U version of Amazon. Never played the first one, hope this one is fun, looking forward to it! : )

Berordn

I guess this song that's in the Samba de Amigo stage means this song is from Samba. I first heard this song in Phantasy Star Online with the "Fake in Yellow" mission where you talk to the guy who's dressed as a Rappy, warp out, talk to a rock and see a Chao dancing who gives you a Tails Chao for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on Gamecube.

If you're talking about Samba Studios, then Vamos a Carnival was originally in the updated version of Samba that never came to America, so PSO would be the first time a lot of people heard it.

Or at least, I think it was only in ver. 2000. I don't remember what the original track list was anymore.

B-Dex

I think some of the expert ghost times need to be lowered. First lap beat the other 3 ghosts then the expert time is like 6 seconds faster than the hard time.....

Only people that have faster times are top 3 on the leaderboards by milliseconds.

Anyone else think that Transformed is the best kart racer of this gen even better than what Mario Kart offered? I thought Mario Kart 7 played it too safe and was a bit disappointed. Sumo went all out with Transformed. Transformed seems to take more risks and feels much more imaginative than other kart racers.

I hate that Mario Kart is still the standard to which other "kart" games are held to. As mentioned above, Mario Kart has been uninspired since Double Dash. They're not bad games by any means, but they're incredibly bland and too similar to each other. Also, none of them have any real single-player content to speak of, and either no or very weak online (no voice chat kills it).

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing was leagues ahead of any Mario Kart since Double Dash. Transformed is even better. Plus, Transformed isn't simply the original but with different tracks, which is more than can be said for any Mario Kart game in the last nine years.

What are everyone's favorite courses so far? I find myself replaying Dragon Canyon, Seasonal Shrines and Burning Depths a lot. I really like the course design in Burning Depths, in particular.

ShadiWulf

Just got done going through the NiGHTS track. loved it! Amazing track

Wizeman even talks! says things like "SEEEEP INTO THE DARKNESSSSS"

Favourite Tracks?

Seasonal Shrines, Adder's Lair, Temple Trouble and to a lesser extent Galactic Parade just for its concept alone and not so much for the layout.
And I want to like Graffiti City, i'll get good at this track one day but if I turn up with poor handling then i'm screwed.

Dream valley and Chilly Castle still occupy the least favourite ranks.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well...I made a big a mistake just now. I did a course in Transformed and my controller started vibrating endlessly after it completed, so I went to unplug the USB and I ended up tripping over, knocking over my Xbox 360 and now my game is broken.

Ah, and I was having tons of fun too. =(

Spinluck

Well...I made a big a mistake just now. I did a course in Transformed and my controller started vibrating endlessly after it completed, so I went to unplug the USB and I ended up tripping over, knocking over my Xbox 360 and now my game is broken.

I remember my friend just slightly moving his 360 once, and it completely ruined his Dead Rising game. He also messed up his Gears of War 2 the same way, sorry man.

Emitan

What are everyone's favorite courses so far? I find myself replaying Dragon Canyon, Seasonal Shrines and Burning Depths a lot. I really like the course design in Burning Depths, in particular.

Rogue's Landing really makes me want to hunt down a copy of the game because I never played it.

Sanctuary Falls is breathtaking and a very unique stage and based off my favorite Sonic Generations level.

Burning Depths is really cool asthmatically and in concept even though I have no idea what it is referencing.

And Outrun Bay is amazing.

Kokonoe

Banned
I remember my friend just slightly moving his 360 once, and it completely ruined his Dead Rising game. He also messed up his Gears of War 2 the same way, sorry man.

Thanks...and yeah, the 360 does and I have the slim and it still does that. With this game I think I'm done with 360. It's my fault I tipped it over, but I just don't like how it scratches my discs by a simple nudge.

Emitan

Thanks...and yeah, the 360 does and I have the slim and it still does that. With this game I think I'm done with 360. It's my fault I tipped it over, but I just don't like how it scratches my discs by a simple nudge.

:( That's awful.

I wonder if Wii U discs scratch? Luckily I have never damaged a single one of my very very numerous 360 games.

man where is hte PC VERSION?!?!?!

how is the 4 player split screen performance on consoles? How is the Wii U performance in comparison to the other consoles?

Emitan

man where is hte PC VERSION?!?!?!

how is the 4 player split screen performance on consoles? How is the Wii U performance in comparison to the other consoles?

Wii U versions seems to be running at around 20-30 FPS. I'm not sure what the framerate actually is but it is consistent most of the time. I've had some framerate drops but it's usually fine. No idea about the resolution.

Mesoian

Return it. Say it came that way.

:( That's awful.

I wonder if Wii U discs scratch? Luckily I have never damaged a single one of my very very numerous 360 games.

All systems do this. It makes the idea of having your system be vertical be all the more assinine. It happens because when the disc goes off kilter, it grinds against the laser unit that reads it, resulting in a ring.

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP YOUR SYSTEMS HORIZONTAL. ALWAYS. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I move my PS3 with a disc in it all the time, no issues. Same with the PS2 and PS1.

No excuses Microsoft.

I have found the weapons are good for one thing and that's clearing out stage hazards like statues in Monkey Ball stage or dealing with bees.

Hey, GAF. I skipped out on the first game, but I'm really considering picking this one up. Question, though: is there a general consensus on which version is the best in terms of visuals/framerate stability and characters (don't they vary by version?)? I've got a Wii U, PS3, and 360, so I'm willing to go with whatever version is most recommended. Thanks!

It's probably just coincidence, but I swear the music in the options menu reminds me of Streets of Rage 2. It's easier to notice if you have headphones.

Man - THAT Afterburner stage. Love it.

Why does the OT list Metal Sonic as DLC? He was u locked from the get go.

Because he is DLC. He comes with the OutRun Bay stage.

Just tried the wii u version and it runs better than the 360 demo. Also did 2 player and it still held up better than the 360 demo. Awesome game by the way.

gunstarhero

It's probably just coincidence, but I swear the music in the options menu reminds me of Streets of Rage 2. It's easier to notice if you have headphones.

Because he is DLC. He comes with the OutRun Bay stage.

Huh? But I didn't download anything. I bought the WiiU version and he was there when I started the game (I know because he was the first guy I tried out).

Berordn

Huh? But I didn't download anything. I bought the WiiU version and he was there when I started the game (I know because he was the first guy I tried out).

He only comes with the bonus edition. On 360 and PS3, you have to activate an online pass type thing, I guess Wii U handles it differently. He's DLC in the sense that on every other version of the game, he's locked on-disc.

Yeah, the Bonus Edition stuff is a redeemable unlock key, at least in the PS3 (and I'm assuming 360) version.

Aren't the handheld versions getting bonus editions, too? Wonder how that'll be handled. I assume Vita would probably work the same way as PS3, but I have no idea about the 3DS version.

Top Bottom