• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

bumpkin

Well that's a bummer... Encountered my first cases of the game freezing (on Wii U) last night. I was playing it entirely off-TV with the GamePad, wasn't even playing it that long. The first time was during a race on the Afterburner stage when a bunch of weapons were going off right near the finish line; the frame-rate dipped and then it just locked up. The second time was during a race on the Sonic stage that's similar to Rainbow Road. Nothing extravagant was happening on-screen, was just cruising on a straightaway and blam, it froze and the sound was just an awful buzzing noise.

Trying to claw my way to 165 stars to unlock AGES is a bitch. I'm getting down to the brass tacks as far as what stages I've still got stars I can earn. I avoid Traffic Attack stages like the plague because they're cheap and annoying, and winning races on some of the stages (Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers and Jet Set Radio) is pure luck, basically not getting blasted by 2-4 weapons in succession on crucial stretches.

YoungHav

Banned
I bought the first game this past November (PS3), me and my wife put in around 25hrs and loved it. I expected to love this off the bat but I'm not feeling some changes, though I will keep an open mind.

I hate the "Transformed" gimmick and I wish it didn't happen in what seems like every level. The flying is blah. Everytime I start flying I ask why? I also dislike how the levels change during laps. The novelty wears off and this doesn't have to happen in every level! I don't get why every item had to be changed (imagine mario kart replacing the turtle shell with a snowball), on top of that the item boxes are harder to see. The leveling up racers is ok but a design change for the sake of change.

What the game does right is adding features which should have been in the first game (online co-op, multiplayer local grand prix etc...), but I think the core game and track design were better in the first game so far. This game is considered the best kart racer this gen on GAF and has a higher metacritic than the first game. Maybe my opinion will change down the line.

Got this on the PSN flash sale, and I'm loving it. Too bad about the framerate and some rough edges, but I'm pretty excited for a current gen sequel/port/remaster

One thing that really annoys me is that during some transformations, the game seems to slow me down or make me change directions?? Like I'm hitting an invisible wall or something, but it might be because I need to release the acceleration to adjust for those moments.

Kinokou

Hey, sorry to bump this up but I'm having trouble with the steam version combined with a wired xbox 360 controller (have seen the issue reported on wireless versions as well) . I can navigate menus fine but when it comes to racing the controller stops working and the car drives itself in a straight line automatically.

The controller seems to work well enough with other games like super meat boy and audiosurf.

Anyone know what's up with this?

WillyFive

I haven't had that happen to me, but did you check on the launcher and make sure the game has the Xbox controller as it's controller?

Oemenia

Banned
I've got Transformed on PS3, does it make the first game obsolete? The series has some excellent track designs so wouldn't want to miss out on them.

I've got Transformed on PS3, does it make the first game obsolete? The series has some excellent track designs so wouldn't want to miss out on them.

The first game is a bit rougher around the edges but it's not a terrible game by any stretch. Transformed is better in most ways, but there's still a reason to have the first game around, I'd say.

Just stay away from the PC version of the first game, it's kind of weird.

Oemenia

Banned
The first game is a bit rougher around the edges but it's not a terrible game by any stretch. Transformed is better in most ways, but there's still a reason to have the first game around, I'd say.

Just stay away from the PC version of the first game, it's kind of weird.
I was actually thinking of playing the first game on PC for that 60 FPS goodness. To be honest I'm enjoying Transformed but the game seems more about the spectacle rather than the racing. I've recently finished CTR and I found the actual racing and use of weapons more satisfying in that game.

The first game is a traditional kart game that plays a lot more like Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing, while Transformed is more of an arcade racer.

They're both good and play very differently, so I personally think that they're both worth playing.

I was actually thinking of playing the first game on PC for that 60 FPS goodness. To be honest I'm enjoying Transformed but the game seems more about the spectacle rather than the racing. I've recently finished CTR and I found the actual racing and use of weapons more satisfying in that game.

The PC version has a problem where, like... the way I had it described to me, the game fails to build a shader cache on certain graphics cards (mostly AMD).

What this means in practical terms is that any time there's a graphical effect that's displaying for the first time, the game stutters HUGE, INSANE amounts while it tries to figure out what to do about it.

This means that the first lap of any race is a hellish nightmare, where any time anything happens, the game locks up for a second or two. Eventually, by the second and third laps, the shadercache issues get resolved, and things smooth out.

But if you exit that race and come back, it starts all over again.

If it wasn't for the stuttering, I'd get 60fps locked on the PC version, too.

Oemenia

Banned
The PC version has a problem where, like... the way I had it described to me, the game fails to build a shader cache on certain graphics cards (mostly AMD).

What this means in practical terms is that any time there's a graphical effect that's displaying for the first time, the game stutters HUGE, INSANE amounts while it tries to figure out what to do about it.

This means that the first lap of any race is a hellish nightmare, where any time anything happens, the game locks up for a second or two. Eventually, by the second and third laps, the shadercache issues get resolved, and things smooth out.

But if you exit that race and come back, it starts all over again.

If it wasn't for the stuttering, I'd get 60fps locked on the PC version, too.
Yikes, I'll stay away then. I do have Transformed on Steam, maybe I'll come back to it in the future.

I'm definitely enjoying the game but the game feels way too on rails, does the PC version's smoothness help with that?

Yikes, I'll stay away then. I do have Transformed on Steam, maybe I'll come back to it in the future.

I'm definitely enjoying the game but the game feels way too on rails, does the PC version's smoothness help with that?

I had the 360 and PC version of Transformed, I've never really felt like it was on rails at all. Do you have flight assist turned on? That might be part of it. I don't think I've ever had it enabled.

Top Bottom