• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Agreed - I'm generally pretty good at racing games and I just can't handle how frustrating some of there high level races become.

Also kind of disappointing that the main campaign kind under utilizes some levels. It's made worse be the fact that there's huge imbalance between how enjoyable some levels are vs others. Panzer is just an absolutely stunning piece of design whereas samba is ... not.

Still an amazing racing game and maybe the greatest piece of fan service segas put out since fighters megamix.

Yep. I still want to go back to it from time to time, but just can't bring myself to :(

There is certainly heavy rubber-banding in this game, far more than in any of the Mario Karts. At the highest point, even a speed-up item will only make you as fast as the other racers during normal speed; while the same item will make them zoom past you at impossible speeds.

You are the second or third person I've seen say this and I refute that with evidence that I find this to be the sort of game that once you get to first place it becomes really easy to outpace the rest of the pack

I've been more than half a lap ahead of everybody else, depending on the track.

Roo

You are the second or third person I've seen say this and I refute that with evidence that I find this to be the sort of game that once you get to first place it becomes really easy to outpace the rest of the pack

I've been more than half a lap ahead of everybody else, depending on the track.

Yeah, I agree.
The learning curve for this games is really hard and that's why it feels like it has rubber-banding also some of the items are pretty much useless unless you're really good at aiming others but once you get to know the tracks and how the karts work/drift, it is a piece of cake.

For what it's worth, I think this is one of the most well balanced games that use the Mario Kart formula.

Ain't no rubber banding here

5lwkdVq.jpg

o8j8Zmf.jpg

h2NV2dY.jpg

kidO1BS.jpg

nxd4SP0.jpg

UMswwM9.jpg

MDd6uEz.jpg

If you're getting passed up, it's because the CPU is driving better than you are :p

Spinluck

Ain't no rubber banding here

5lwkdVq.jpg

o8j8Zmf.jpg

h2NV2dY.jpg

kidO1BS.jpg

nxd4SP0.jpg

UMswwM9.jpg

MDd6uEz.jpg

If you're getting passed up, it's because the CPU is driving better than you are :p

I'm gonna start playing this again.

Was on my way to getting a Platinum trophy and refining muh kart skillz until my data corrupted. Whenever I get a better PC, I'm buying the fuck of the PC version.

Splitscreen was nearly unplayable for me on PlayStation 3.

Sounds about right.

Skyzard

Banned
I finally got enough stars to unlock Ages, which I had no clue about. What an awesome 'character'! When I went on water and it turned into a dreamcast controller boat...bloody hell.

Great screens of it above too. Really does look great, not bad at all on my Vita though.

35 more stars is going to be a steep climb :/

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Please let me have some fun with Miku.

(Drats, that means I'm gonna have to get me a new 360 controller ASAP since my last one broke not too long ago...)

Wonko_C

Please let me have some fun with Miku.

(Drats, that means I'm gonna have to get me a new 360 controller ASAP since my last one broke not too long ago...)

You'd think they would use Hatsune Miku for some cross-promotion with the PS3/Vita game. Kazuma Kiryu would be cool too. Ryo Hazuki a distant third (don't kill me, Shenmue fans.)

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, this series of Sonic Retro posts prove to be quite... interesting:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27946&view=findpost&p=767424
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27946&view=findpost&p=767429
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27946&view=findpost&p=767463

The KKM said:
It's actually Princess Elise!

55wz.png

Now, I think it's likely Miku with mislabelled files as a joke from Sumo sicne they know the fanbase and know we'd be snooping, but if it really were Elise I'd laugh so hard I'd likely buy the game just for that. Just to main her.

Jason said:
Dario FF said:
They're just trolling on that, it says Tails Doll, Greendog, Charmy Bee as well in the file.

Full list of troll names they left:

• Princess Elise
  • Charmy Bee
  • Oshram Dog (some meme S0L made)
  • Tails Doll
  • Latisha (Toejam & Earl)
  • Greendog
  • Tim Henman (Virtual Tennis)
Wait, seven dummy names...
Mykonos said:
So, to recount, the 7 characters that broke 1000 were:

* Ryo Hazuki
* Segata Sanshiro
* Miku
* Vectorman
* Bayonetta
* Ristar
* Toejam & Earl

No, they wouldn't be that awesome about it. They just couldn't... could they?

Mykonos said:
There's also 2 females in the troll names, and 2 female characters that broke 1000 votes.

I'm not going to get my hopes up but if this is true it's brilliant.

Oh, dear S0L, surprise us.

Rlan

I do like that they're basically doing a Sonic Dash styled consistent update thing here a year after the game came out. Just wish they could have done this on console as well as PC. I wonder how many people are still working on ASRT at Sumo Digital?

Love that Greendog is a fake name in there. Green dog's such a dumb thing.

Though sometimes dumb things are awesome. I loved Mobo and Robo in ASR because WHY would you do those guys!

sibarraz

Banned
The game is hard at higher levels, but isn't unfair, is just that you need to practice a lot

Imo the great virtue of the single player in this game is than there is a really good learning curve, where you had lots of levels in case that you just want to enjoy want or look on master it.

And about the DLC, I hope that we get more than one char and some tracks, overall I still want to unlock all the mods in all the chars, and I had barely completed 5

Wonko_C

I am refraining from purchasing a table pack for the Steam version of Pinball Arcade, hoping that Sega/Sumo announce something, anything for this game. But S0l's post is not making it any easier.

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/12679-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/page-327#entry790480

I'm afraid I will not resist using my remaining steam wallet and go for that Space Shuttle table much longer... but what if "BOOM We're just kidding! here is Ryo/Segata/Miku/Vectorman/etc!"? arrggghhhh.

Tizoc

edit: Hold up we'll learn come Wednesday? ...but that'd be Thursday for me since my country's time is ahead of the US @_@

Skyzard

Banned
I love the speculation. It's all wrong and it's all going to be even more wrong post reveal for completely different reasons. I am looking forward to Ryo having to cough up his paycheck though. So it's not all bad news.

Anyone wanting console news is going to be disappointed though, not through any lack of trying however.

Lame - been playing mostly on Vita even though I have the PC version, for convenience for me. Not looking forward to getting those stars again...not anytime soon anyway.

jonno394

Just earned enough stars to unlock ages and thought i could quit world tour (no way Im winning everything on expert) only to see there's more races after a 200 star gate. Might have to keep grinding away :/

studyguy

Not holding my breath for the next DLC character.
I love the game to death, but the characters have largely been disappointing for me.

I keep seeing this game pop up in every Mario Kart thread

so going to play it again tonight on my Wii U to see if I missed something the first time around… I did not unlock everything so I saw the final unlock and I want it bad enough to make a run all night for it

Edit : after the game updates :(

Zep

Banned
Asked this in the Ryo announcement thread and got no answer but..

1) How many people (steam) are playing this game online head to head? I know the "in-game" stats already.

2) How is the netcode? Read some of the thread and there were some issues but this was 6+ months ago.

1) How many people (steam) are playing this game online head to head? I know the "in-game" stats already.

2) How is the netcode? Read some of the thread and there were some issues but this was 6+ months ago.

I'm not sure about #1 but #2... eh. It's alright. Not spectacular or anything. Lag is always a problem in online games and here it's especially bad because I've had cars lag warp in to me and the game registers it as a high-velocity collision.

Granted, I think they issued a patch to try and reduce instances where that happens.

I recorded a video when I participated in the Sonic Retro Community Play Date thingy, if you want to see what a race full of people online looks like... though I spend most of the race in the lead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZPaMyjkdc

Edit: Ahah, whoops. I forgot just how EARLY I got in to first, too. That's probably not very useful to you.

It has a decently-sized online community. Nothing massive, but you usually won't have trouble finding other players through the automated matchmaking. Game even got a large player boost (over 10k according to Sumo) after they released the Yogscast Charity DLC.

Netcode is usually solid during the times I played. It does have some syncing issues, but it only happens sporadically relatively speaking. Hit detection can be a tad iffy however when colliding with other players head-on, but that also doesn't happen too often. If you have some friends to play with, you can always host a custom game and have bots fill in the remaining slots.

bumpkin

Well, I never thought I'd be uttering these words, but SOLD! I've been playing the ever-loving crap out of this game on the Vita thanks to PS+ for a few days, and that ultimately led me to decide to purchase the Wii U version for some prettier, on-TV racing action.

TBH, this game totally blind-sided me... I wasn't impressed with the first game and thought there was no way the sequel would fare any better. Boy was I wrong. This game is mad fun and I love all of the little nods to Sega's franchises nested in the game's varied and detailed tracks.

I do have a question though. I saw someone post screens above of a Daytona Hornet car, the Afterburner jet and a Dreamcast controller. Are those DLC for the console version?

I do have a question though. I saw someone post screens above of a Daytona Hornet car, the Afterburner jet and a Dreamcast controller. Are those DLC for the console version?

That's Ages, who's unlocked in the World Tour mode with 165 stars. The only DLC for the console versions are Metal Sonic and an Out Run track, which are both included in the "Bonus Edition" versions of the game.

bumpkin

That's Ages, who's unlocked in the World Tour mode with 165 stars. The only DLC for the console versions are Metal Sonic and an Out Run track, which are both included in the "Bonus Edition" versions of the game.
Ah, sweet. Thanks for the info!

The estimated arrival date according to BB is sometime between the 17th and 22nd, so if anyone with the Wii U version wants to race sometime, feel free to send me a friend request in the meantime. My NNID is DaveB1980.

Screens that I'm reposting from my Tumblr, so they're 720p

tumblr_mzhef8cIis1rr2g16o2_1280.jpg
tumblr_mzhef8cIis1rr2g16o3_1280.jpg
tumblr_mzhef8cIis1rr2g16o4_1280.jpg
tumblr_mzhef8cIis1rr2g16o7_1280.jpg
tumblr_mzhef8cIis1rr2g16o1_1280.jpg

Kinda wish DLC characters weren't automatically max level but I can understand a lot of people would probably be bummed at the prospect of having to level up all these characters

DonMigs85

I wonder how well the PC version will run on an AMD Kaveri... I'm looking into building an inexpensive HTPC/basic gaming rig.

bumpkin

Just picked this up on the Wii U along with a Pro controller.

feelsgoodman

Game is awesome.
I just got my copy yesterday and I have to agree! I'm not sure if anyone on my friend list has the game or not, but feel free to send a friend request if you want to race sometime! My NNID is DaveB1980

The same goes to anyone else in the thread with the Wii U version. It'd be cool to have some people to compete against!

Is it just my imagination or does the Wii U version not let you race against random players via a matchmaking mechanism?

Mr. Sam

Thread title made me load up the game again. I'm hooked now, trying to scoop up the last of those S-ranks. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Any idea if this will be available on other stores or just Steam directly?

I think it's probably just Steam. Sonic Racing Transformed is a Steamworks game, too, I think.

If you mean consoles, pretty sure Ryo is slated to hit other platforms eventually (360, PS3, etc.)

vg260

I think it's probably just Steam. Sonic Racing Transformed is a Steamworks game, too, I think.

If you mean consoles, pretty sure Ryo is slated to hit other platforms eventually (360, PS3, etc.)

I was thinking about GMG or Amazon, as I have a couple bucks to burn on GMG, but I just went ahead and picked it up on the Steam. store

Top Bottom