• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, seems to be for Company of Heroes 2 since Sega published it. Also, this makes FOUR PC-exclusive characters now. When are consoles gonna get something?

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Just a friendly reminder: if you have arleady unlocked the VIP mod before today, press A on it in the World Tour map to unlock the tank guy's console mod.

Wonko_C

This game keeps on giving. I wish I could get my friends into this game though, but one of them is very vocal in his dislike of it and claiming "this is not a kart game" and keeps forcing Mario Kart 64 play sessions on us, and he even says that F1 Race Stars is a much better game than this. *grumble grumble*

This game keeps on giving. I wish I could get my friends into this game though, but one of them is very vocal in his dislike of it and claiming "this is not a kart game" and keeps forcing Mario Kart 64 play sessions on us, and he even says that F1 Race Stars is a much better game than this. *grumble grumble*

That game hasn't aged well. At all. I pity you. :( This game is awesome. Hopefully one day he'll stop being silly and see the light.

Ferr986

Is usually the game that laggy on online?
Im only getting laggy matches that takes a lot to start and the collision glitches that were present in the console version are worse here.

Other than that the game runs and looks incredible on PC.

J@hranimo

Banned
Is usually the game that laggy on online?
Im only getting laggy matches that takes a lot to start and the collision glitches that were present in the console version are worse here.

Other than that the game runs and looks incredible on PC.

I just got it on PC today and after a few matches I think the online does have the same collision problems as the console versions :(

Although it doesn't seem as bad to me because of 60fps. Maybe I'm crazy I dunno.

Ferr986

I just got it on PC today and after a few matches I think the online does have the same collision problems as the console versions :(

Although it doesn't seem as bad to me because of 60fps. Maybe I'm crazy I dunno.

Yeah, im kinda used of that from playing 360 ver. but it also takes a lot of time to get on a room.
Maybe I just had bad luck, Ill try it again tonight.
Is true that playing this game on 60fps goodness makes me feel like Im playing a new game..

BurningNad

Bought this at the sale price, been looking at it for a while and the free weekend allowed me to try it, game's fucking awesome. Can't wait to go in hard on it.

TheOGB

Banned

Force him to play Crash Team Racing. ;P

qazqaNii

This game is quite fun, considering to buy it atm actually, altough the unlocks are kinda pain in the ass but still online is pretty good.

Tracks have some nice designs also, 2hrs in and still playing.

Edit: Maybe a private GAF Lobby?

Weird bug:

BF0CB776F767F95C48C5F4867BD68A1CC43A790B

Once I crossed the finish line it said I finished 2nd, but then the scoreboard came up and said I finished 1st, but then it gave me points like I finished in second

I just picked this game up on Vita two weeks ago as something to come down to after The Last of Us and I couldn't have been more surprised.
I know I'm late to the party, but wow. The fan service alone is enough to warrant a purchase but to have a genuine excellent racer on top is wonderful.
I was surprised at how challenging the game is even from the start of world tour. It pulls the fun of most kart racers into the challenge of competent arcade racing. It took me about a week of steady playing to get through world tour to find out that I would unlock an even more difficult level of racing.
I've barely even touched other single player modes and none of my friends have it on vita yet; this game has such a long life cycle for me.
I love that not every character is unlocked from the start and racing to earn more and intentionally keeping the secret characters a secret for myself was so worth it. I still haven't unlocked all of them.
This game is a true gem and the only fault I have with it is Danica, and she's completely ignorable in the wake of everything else the title has to offer.

McNum

I picked this game up thanks to the Steam free weekend. It's fun. It's really fun. It's also a bit of information overload, you really have to remember a lot of things while racing to race well. Just how man kinds of boost do you have?

Got a few questions, though.

1. Vyse. I want my Vyse. How do I get Vyse?

2. How do you do those Risk Boosts consistently in a plane? All I got is "fly into something, the dodge just before hitting it", but that can be quite a detour. Is it worth it anyway?

3. I suck at sailing. Got any newbie tips for boats?

Still, it's definitely one of the better kart racers I've played. It's just... fun.

Weird bug:

BF0CB776F767F95C48C5F4867BD68A1CC43A790B

Once I crossed the finish line it said I finished 2nd, but then the scoreboard came up and said I finished 1st, but then it gave me points like I finished in second

Happened to me, Finished first but over guy was rewarded first, he wasnt even on the map.

Really enjoying the game, kinda wish multiplayer had same rubberbanding as single player, hate never being able to catch up to first place.

1. Vyse. I want my Vyse. How do I get Vyse?

Hes like the 2nd? person you unlock in the challenge/mission area

McNum

Hes like the 2nd? person you unlock in the challenge/mission area
So, just play on in World Tour for him? I can do that. Got Amigo and Danica Patrick that way already. I have no idea who she is, but she has a cool looking car.

Also that Skies of Arcadia level. It's wonderful and cruel. It's fun to drive, it has a lot of lovely SoA details... and it makes me want Skies of Arcadia remade like this. It just looks... right.

shaowebb

Finally broke down and double dipped on this. I got it as an awesome gift for 360 before I could buy it myself but saw it was 75% off and repurchased on Steam for all those extra goodies. Is there a way to just unlock everyone though? I dont want to have to rerun for all the stuff I had to do last time to unlock the cast.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
2. How do you do those Risk Boosts consistently in a plane? All I got is "fly into something, the dodge just before hitting it", but that can be quite a detour. Is it worth it anyway?

3. I suck at sailing. Got any newbie tips for boats?

Still, it's definitely one of the better kart racers I've played. It's just... fun.

It seems you already figured out how to get risk boosts, but yeah, they are worth it if you can do them consistently without crashing. Even if you crash 1/5th or so of the time it's probably still worth it. Basically you don't want to be going too far out of your way though. A lot of the plane parts have random thin obstacles in the middle of the track, and those should be the things you're risk boosting around. If you do that, you'll definitely be gaining time.

The best tip for boats is probably to drift for every turn. Well, I guess that same thing can be applied to all 3 vehicle types, but I even drift on really small turns with boats just because it makes them so much more predictable and controllable. Also, with practice you'll get better and better with boats. It takes a little getting used to the slight delay in turning response due to being in water.

Himself

How do you unlock new tracks/grand prix? And new characters for that matter.

I've got the first three open. It says to earn a podium win to open a new grand prix, which I've done, yet nothing happens. What gives? Does it only count if you get first place on medium difficulty or something?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
How do you unlock new tracks/grand prix? And new characters for that matter.

I've got the first three open. It says to earn a podium win to open a new grand prix, which I've done, yet nothing happens. What gives? Does it only count if you get first place on medium difficulty or something?

You need to play the World Tour to unlock everything.

Himself

You need to play the World Tour to unlock everything.

Ahh OK thanks. Better get on that then.

One aspect of this game I really don't like is the leveling up and mods and shit. I haven't played enough to find out how essential they are to winning, but I really hope they aren't.

One aspect of this game I really don't like is the leveling up and mods and shit. I haven't played enough to find out how essential they are to winning, but I really hope they aren't.

Leveling up just unlocks mods. Mods just move points around from stuff like speed, boost, drift, and all that, so that they're balanced for different things. I think all of them have the same number of overall points, just in difference places. It's not essential to winning, it's more of a preference thing.

Himself

Leveling up just unlocks mods. Mods just move points around from stuff like speed, boost, drift, and all that, so that they're balanced for different things. I think all of them have the same number of overall points, just in difference places. It's not essential to winning, it's more of a preference thing.

Cool, cool. Overall I'm really enjoying this game. Fast, colorful, fun, and the transforming mechanic rules. Totally surprised.

I'm playing on PS3 and the performance seems to be a bit shitty though. Could be much smoother and I swear when I played the demo on Wii U the colors were way more vibrant.

It's getting me excited for Mario Kart 8 and I haven't enjoyed a Mario Kart since the original. But I'm pretty sure a more refined, 60-FPS sequel to Sonic Transformed could crush MK.

Bought this last night for my WiiU after hitting the demo play limit. I'm impressed! This game is tons of fun, great music, and a phenomenal sense of chaos as you race around the corners. The multiplayer is equally fun, too.

I'm interested to see how Nintendo will try to one up this game with Mario Kart WiiU.

I played a lot of this over the weekend - bought it months ago, played it at the time and then haven't been back to it since. Anyway, I'm making my way through the campaign on Normal. It's such a great game; a tough challenge but never unfair, and the track design and driving physics are brilliant. Such a great game; it seems inaccurate to classify it as a kart racer because it's so fast and well-designed that it feels more like an arcade racer. I'm not even a big Sega fan really but love the aesthetics and different settings.

Already got this on the Vita and really love it, picked it up on the WiiU at the weekend but not had a chance to give it a go. Went that format rather than the PS3 as my partners daughter loves using the gamepad and it was still just as cheap anyway.

Oublieux

Nabbed this game a few days ago on GMG and split the 4 pack with my friends. Needless to say, best kart racer I've played in a long time; I've just S-classed everything... I normally don't even do that.

Oublieux

Still adore the game but am gutted over how fucking broken it becomes at highest difficulty

Expert? I actually just beat the game on expert a few days ago. My total playtime ended up being ~22 hours. Some of the levels were hard but only took me an extra 3-4 tries.

Races can be tough but they're skewed towards cars that have 5 or higher speed (max speed or more). Using a car with anything less than a speed rating of 5 becomes much more difficult. I ended up maining Sonic for this reason as his star level unlock makes for a ridiculously fast car with good handling.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've been playing this recently and finishing all tracks on hard, and I'm having a goddamn blast with it.

There's just a couple things that I can't understand, really. Why doesn't Joe Musashi's car turn into a Surfing board when on water? I mean...

pdl3RMs.png

About the characters, I do understand that Vectorman and other characters didn't make the cut, but what about the prior characters and tracks contained in Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed? Why aren't those being ported? Just bolt some rockets and a sail on earlier models and you're good to go. Hell, I'd even pay money for a quick and dirt model port as DLC.

It's a shame that this game doesn't have Steam Workshop support. :(

Any user mods available anywhere?

Cheddahz

Banned
How does this game perform on the 360? I already have it on PC, but I was thinking about double dipping since I think the 360 has a bigger community (and I want to own a physical release of it)

How does this game perform on the 360? I already have it on PC, but I was thinking about double dipping since I think the 360 has a bigger community (and I want to own a physical release of it)

Framerate's a pretty steady 30 for the most part. The textures aren't quite as nice as they are in the PC version, but it's not a bad looking game by any stretch.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I love this game in singleplayer, but tried the 5 player local multiplayer on my Wii U, and it was laggy as hell. Does anybody else have this problem? At points it was barely playable, among the worst drops in frame-rate Ive ever seen.

So, any more characters coming out for this? I thought there was a vote or something, but the game's been out nearly a year. Apologies if this is old news.

I find the 'reasoning' for no Ristar and Vectorman to be pretty weak, to be honest. You see all angles of a character in the game - when you select them, when you start off, when you look behind, when you finish, when you win a tournament, and also the additional animations when a character looks around after passing someone etc. And you just KNOW their vehicles would've been super-super cool.

On a more positive note, this game has possibly the most beautiful, best-designed tracks I've seen in a racer.

Morfeo

All console versions suffer from bad performance on split screen.

Wow, is this really true? So I just need to play it in two player mode than. That seriously sucks, but I guess I can still have some fun with it in single- and twoplayermode.

Morfeo

Thanks!

Edit: After reading through that, I feel like I had much bigger problems with my version than what is described for the Wii U-version there. Wonder why that is, hmmm.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Thanks!

Edit: After reading through that, I feel like I had much bigger problems with my version than what is described for the Wii U-version there. Wonder why that is, hmmm.

5 player isn't optimized at all, it was one of the last things that was done before submission.

Still adore the game but am gutted over how fucking broken it becomes at highest difficulty

Agreed - I'm generally pretty good at racing games and I just can't handle how frustrating some of there high level races become.

Also kind of disappointing that the main campaign kind under utilizes some levels. It's made worse be the fact that there's huge imbalance between how enjoyable some levels are vs others. Panzer is just an absolutely stunning piece of design whereas samba is ... not.

Still an amazing racing game and maybe the greatest piece of fan service segas put out since fighters megamix.

WillyFive

There is certainly heavy rubber-banding in this game, far more than in any of the Mario Karts. At the highest point, even a speed-up item will only make you as fast as the other racers during normal speed; while the same item will make them zoom past you at impossible speeds.

Top Bottom