• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed out on PC today

HoosTrax

360 gets the exclusive "Avatar" character

Nintendo systems get the exclusive "Mii" character

Sony systems get...nothing. Personally, I think it would have been awesome (vicariously speaking, since I don't own a Sony system) if they got Snake, along with drive-able Metal Gears, like Ray being the boat.

Fitz

Would kill for Ristar as a playable character, was super exited this morning when I realised he was the flagman.

Though I don't see it happening really... as he is the flagman.

but 2/3 of the PC exclusive characters are Sega characters from well known, iconic, PC exclusive series. I don't see anything wrong with them.

I was agreeing with you. I get the PC exclusive Sega characters for the most part (which are actually iconic in the PC world at least), it's the others that I'm not very fond of.

HoosTrax

but 2/3 of the PC exclusive characters are Sega characters from well known, iconic, PC exclusive series. I don't see anything wrong with them.
It's a little jarring seeing non-classic SEGA characters. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it just takes some getting used to since it's not quite the SEGA I remember from my childhood.

I suppose the new installment in the franchise is going to include a Space Marine riding a Predator (if GW gives them the 40k license etc) and a Panzergrenadier riding a Konigstiger.

ToD_

Nice to see the Outrun track making it in as DLC, will purchase this. One of my favorite games from the good ol' days.

Love that music, two other favourites of mine are Samba Studios & Ocean View. Never played Samba De Amigo but that tune is so funky it just puts a smile on my face for the entire race. The other track is just pure nostalgia for the Sonic CD intro.

I like the two Samba De Amigo levels because both feel like huge parties with their music and everything dancing all around you, with brilliant colors used everywhere.

NIN90

Hm, getting some severe framerate dibs on a 660, i5, 4GB on Win7 32bit. Maybe because my display is set to 120hz?

Hm, getting some severe framerate dibs on a 660, i5, 4GB on Win7 32bit. Maybe because my display is set to 120hz?

Game gets really wonky when FPS>60. Try setting a 60 Hz mode for the game. Which shouldn't have to be case, but they (Sumo) are working on that issue.

FGMPR

Banned
I think I would prefer to see Napoleon in the game more than Shogun. They could hire the actor who played him in 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure' and we could hear him yell "shit shit shit shit shit shit..." in French when someone nails him with a firework.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This game is so good. Just wish they had all the old characters and something like rival lines in SSX Tricky.

This game is crack

Amen to that. Had a 30 minute fix and managed to unlock Shadow The Hedgehog, but why does he sounds like an asthmatic peadophile? His voice is genuinely disturbing.

I'm probably good enough to hold my own online now, I know most of the courses, so thought I'd try out the multiplayer, but I guess the PC crowd doesn't care much for console centric kart racers, as I couldn't find a game. If anyone wants to me add for some multiplayer, my steam nick is the same as my neogaf nick.

Would kill for Ristar as a playable character, was super exited this morning when I realised he was the flagman.

Though I don't see it happening really... as he is the flagman.

I agree, but the original flagman for this series was NiGHTS and now he/she is playable.

Top 3 Sega themed race tracks that really should have made it into the game;

1. Streets of Rage
2. Powerdrift
3. The cake level from Castle of Illusion

Oh, and when I think of Golden Axe, I think of a shitload of lava, don't you?

This game is a lotta fun. Played the WiiU version a bunch. Give it a shot if you're at all interested. It's challenging and quite addictive.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Top 3 Sega themed race tracks that really should have made it into the game;

1. Streets of Rage
2. Powerdrift
3. The cake level from Castle of Illusion

Oh, and when I think of Golden Axe, I think of a shitload of lava, don't you?

I wanted a Valkyria Chronicles battlefield map

d0g_bear

I'm blown away that I' actually enjoying this game.

However, the Sega naming department really went off the deep end with this ridiculous title. They should have called it "Sonic Kart". Everyone - even non-gamers - would have instantly understood what the game was all about and been interested. I renamed the shortcut this way.

However, the Sega naming department really went off the deep end with this ridiculous title. They should have called it "Sonic Kart". Everyone - even non-gamers - would have instantly understood what the game was all about and been interested. I renamed the shortcut this way.

I call it, Sonic Racing and Sonic Racing 2 at Gamestop and they always knew what I was talking about.

Nishastra

Banned
Yeah, the first game's name was bad enough, but "Sonic and All-Stars" just sounds weird.

I understand how they came by these names. First one's not just Sonic characters, second one is not just even Sega characters, and now the vehicles transform! But really, I don't think every detail of the game needs to be represented in the title :p

SimonM7

Correct name would've been The Sonic Drift.

The thing is, I think this is meant to tie in to the "Sega Superstars" brand, which was established way back on the PS2 and didn't actually feature Sonic too heavily at first

But you can tell a marketing department got ahold of it and said "Well if we tweak this here and give Sonic top billing I bet it'll sell more"

I did not have much or a problem with "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing". It was a bit long, but there was a bit of a rhythm to it. It rolled off the tongue. But "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed" just sounds awkward.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Some people seem surprised this game isnt shovelware. I guess the mario and sonic games and the title arent doing it any favors.

The thing is, I think this is meant to tie in to the "Sega Superstars" brand, which was established way back on the PS2 and didn't actually feature Sonic too heavily at first

But you can tell a marketing department got ahold of it and said "Well if we tweak this here and give Sonic top billing I bet it'll sell more"

I did not have much or a problem with "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing". It was a bit long, but there was a bit of a rhythm to it. It rolled off the tongue. But "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed" just sounds awkward.

It really should have been "Sonic's All-Star Racing Transformed". The title is a removed ampersand away from not being a clusterfuck.

SimonM7

Yeah, Sonic being the moneymaker is really what trips them up. I think Sega All-Stars Racing would be perfect, personally. You'd just switch Racing out for whatever they're doing to move the brand around. Now they've dug themselves even deeper with the Transformed moniker though.

I'm not entirely kidding with "The Sonic Drift", either. I mean I'm obviously kidding about the, but I think simply calling it Sonic Drift and putting all sorts of guys in it would be fine, and a nice nod to the earlier ones. I don't think "Sonic" needs to imply you don't have other Sega characters in it. Super Smash Brothers is clearly a Super Mario Brothers derivation, but that doesn't stop them stuffing every Nintendo thing under the sun in there.

Heck, if they're so inclined, Sonic All-Stars Racing would be okay too.

didamangi

There is a
higher difficulty?!
It was hard enough. ;_;

I think this is one of those rare game that's honest about it's difficulty settings. Hard really is challenging.
And expert really is for those who studied and memorize the tracks.

I think this is one of those rare game that's honest about it's difficulty settings. Hard really is challenging.
And expert really is for those who studied and memorize the tracks.

Pretty much. It is fair though (lol at my own backtracking), the AI has no rubberbanding like other racers. Take the time to get the nuances of the tracks and your preferred racer, and with quite a bit of practise and some luck (hope that the AI doesn't all gang up on you in the formative early parts of the race) it can be done.

Also time trials to see the preferred path of the Expert AI also helps.

Also, Vyse is awesome for Hard and above. That is all.

FGMPR

Banned
This game is hard as balls. I feel like sometimes I'm hitting almost perfect laps and yet I can't finish certain 'Easy' levels, especially the hotlap events.

I'm also not so fond of the drifting. There's something about it which feels kind of cumbersome and heavy. Still, it's a great game and I'm happy with my purchase.

didamangi

This game is hard as balls. I feel like sometimes I'm hitting almost perfect laps and yet I can't finish certain 'Easy' levels, especially the hotlap events.

I'm also not so fond of the drifting. There's something about it which feels kind of cumbersome and heavy. Still, it's a great game and I'm happy with my purchase.

Maybe you're playing with a low handling stat character?

SimonM7

Don't forget to get drift boosts - preferably high level ones - and trick boosts in whenever you can. Also, don't forget to drift with the boats and planes as well. It may sound like obvious advice, but it really is a bit of a drift orgy. If you're not almost constantly drifting/boosting, you're probably losing.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
First one's not just Sonic characters [...] But really, I don't think every detail of the game needs to be represented in the title :p
Yeah, about the first one, guys: remember how the 360 version was titled "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing With Banjo-Kazooie"? This game's title could've been worse; it could have been "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed With Danica Patrick, Wreck-it Ralph and Team Fortress 2"!

FGMPR

Banned
Maybe you're playing with a low handling stat character?

I have Sonic maxed out and have been playing around with the different mods, but usually go for the faster ones over handling as I'm not exactly smashing into walls.

I guess I need to do a little more experimenting.

Aru

It seems I'm missing a mod for Sonic. I maxed out his level so I guess it must be unlocked in another way.

Also the best time for Ocean View is crazy (28 seconds). I can barely reach 32 seconds :eek:

It seems I'm missing a mod for Sonic. I maxed out his level so I guess it must be unlocked in another way.

Also the best time for Ocean View is crazy (28 seconds). I can barely reach 32 seconds :eek:

You're missing the
unlockable console mod
on the map.

Welp, I have start doing things on Hard now. ;_; Who are the last two unlocked characters?

Assuming you've unlocked everyone on the map, the two you have left should be
Eggman and AGES. You get AGES from doing everything, if I'm not mistaken. You get Eggman from beating all the GPs in Grand Prix mode, not from the main missions. If you've gotten Eggman already, then the other one is most likely Reala considering he's the second most expensive.

Top Bottom