• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
comedy bomb said:
The Wii isn't really getting sequels, it's getting spin offs. So instead of kingdom Hearts 3, we'll get Kingdom Hearts Kart Racing. : /
T4
FF4
MH3
MM9
(Just 3rd party titles off the top of my head)

Theres some pretty good sequels coming to the Wii my friend. They are just not in great numbers.

Black-Wind said:
T4
FF4
MH3
MM9
(Just 3rd party titles off the top of my head)

Theres some pretty good sequels coming to the Wii my friend. They are just not in great numbers.

Dragon Quest
Soul Calibur
Castlevania
FF:CC

There's plenty of spin-offs. I would't be surprised if Fatal Frame comes over with a sub title instead of IV. The same with Tenchu and Monster Hunter.

TreIII

Link316 said:
so is this the Sonic Dynasty Warriors game?

That's what I'd like to know...

If Koei and Omega Force wanted to try and make a really solid appearance on the Wii (after that one game basically tanked), they surely chose a weird way of trying to do so...

X

x2y

Unconfirmed Member
disappeared said:
Yuji Naka must never see the light of day anymore from keeping his face buried in his hands all the time.
Some gaming site or publication needs to get a hold of him and ask him wtf happened to Sonic? I would love to read an honest facepalm reply form Yuji Naka.

LouieGeetoo said:
Exactly. He has to be horrified at how Sega has been treating his creation. In fact, I'd bet that's why he left in the first place.
It's partially Yuji Naka and his gigantic ego that got us in this position in the first place. :|

I AM JOHN! said:
What in the unholy fuck?

Sega_qjpreviewth.jpg

LouieGeetoo said:
Exactly. He has to be horrified at how Sega has been treating his creation. In fact, I'd bet that's why he left in the first place.

Well, technically he didn't create Sonic.

And it was mostly his direction that lead to Sonic's transition into the Adventure formula people are sick of right now.

DryEyeRelief said:
Well, technically he didn't create Sonic.

And it was mostly his direction that lead to Sonic's transition into the Adventure formula people are sick of right now.

Adventure was good for what it was. After that I don't know what the fuck happened.

TheGreatDave said:
I spent a month of them in the dark as well!
We should have had a meet-up on the Guitar Hero GAF board for old time's sake!!

But then again, I was busy doing unthinkable things, like actually playing games. :(

RagnarokX

DNF said:
[Sword]: HEY LISTEN! HEY, HEY LISTEN!
[Sonic]: Oh please, shut up already
S.O.R.D.D.: "Hello Sonic, I am the Super Ornate Ring Dagger Device from Gadd Laboratories; how may I assist you?"

disappeared said:
Adventure was good for what it was. After that I don't know what the fuck happened.
I think it was ego.

Adventure had a lot of things worth hating, but they were far from mandatory. I think once Sonic Team discovered that people were deciding not to play stuff they think they worked hard on, they tried to force it.

Only played Sonic levels in Adventure 1? Fuck you, now you have to play as everyone in SA2.

Just tried to get Knuckles and Tails levels over as quickly as possible? Eat a cock, now they're a part of your constant team so you need them every level.

Hate talking to people to advance? Go fuck yourself, now you need to find out information about where the next level is and accomplish a retarded quest to even play the game.

I AM JOHN! said:
We should have had a meet-up on the Guitar Hero GAF board for old time's sake!!

But then again, I was busy doing unthinkable things, like actually playing games. :(

Sounds pretty dull, man! You should have been bitching about games you won't buy.

On topic: Fucking Sega, and their shitty games.

Death_Born said:
Of course it's fake. Never mind that it's on an actual magazine, it's perfectly formatted and professionally done with an entirely NEW CGI picture of Sonic.

Yup, definitely a shop.

Wait wait WAIT..

What are SCREWS doing on a medieval sword? Did he win it off an Ebay auction for fake weapons or something?
Its obviously infused with metal dna non-strip screws because thats what they did back then.

TheGreatDave said:
Sounds pretty dull, man! You should have been bitching about games you won't buy.

On topic: Fucking Sega, and their shitty games.
You should've seen those cold, lonely nights; losing my mind because I couldn't blame Wii Fit for the downfall of society. It really tests a man of his stuff! :(

On topic: I agree.

comedy bomb said:
Dragon Quest
Soul Calibur
Castlevania
FF:CC

There's plenty of spin-offs. I would't be surprised if Fatal Frame comes over with a sub title instead of IV. The same with Tenchu and Monster Hunter.

Except that makes no sense at all. It seems you want them to be spinoffs and not the true sequels. Too bad, they are

Knives

Banned
Has Sega wounded you all so horribly that you can't even approach the announcment of this game with an open mind?

Zoramon089 said:
Except that makes no sense at all. It seems you want them to be spinoffs and not the true sequels. Too bad, they are

It doesn't matter to me if they are numbered sequels or spin-offs. As long as they don't suck.

Although I am a bit tired seeing numbers after every title, it's better than the really long subtitles like the Dragon Quest Swords game.

basik said:
I hope the music doesnt have any vocal singing... hated that in secret rings.
Actually, the terrible music was probably the best part of Secret Rings.

DINO! RULES OVER! ITS JUNGLE! THE WICKED WILD!!!

TreIII

Knives said:
Has Sega wounded you all so horribly that you can't even approach the announcment of this game with an open mind?

Meh.

It's not the fact that it's an obvious spin-off. Sonic's been in a number of spin offs before (even back in the 16 and 32bit eras).

It's the thing about how present-day Sega seems to be at odds when it comes to being able to make a GOOD Sonic game, period. If they can't even manage to do that, there's not much in the way to give us faith for a spin-off starring him.

I would only be open to this, if this was done by some one else besides Sega. Like say, again, if they got Omega Force to whip up a "Sonic Musou". Cheesy it would be, but it would certainly give them an excuse to use Sonic and his lil friends in a medium that they can't POSSIBLY mess up with! :lol

Sciz

I AM JOHN! said:
Actually, the terrible music was probably the best part of Secret Rings.

DINO! RULES OVER! ITS JUNGLE! THE WICKED WILD!!!
The music was fine, it was just the idiotic decision to have Runblebee sing over the majority of it that killed so many of the songs.

Knives said:
I've actually never owned a Sonic game before..
Then just hang back and watch the perpetual trainwreck that is GAF's love/hate relationship with the series. There are reasons why we approach new games with extreme skepticism.

Knives said:

That's okay, neither has anyone else for the past eight years or so. That shit you see on store shelves right now with a blue hedgehog on it? That's just cancer in a box.

Sciz said:
The music was fine, it was just the idiotic decision to have Runblebee sing over the majority of it that killed so many of the songs.
Well yeah, that's what made it terrible. :p

Let the Speed Mend It and Dino Jungle are really good songs in spite of the horrible lyrics. But like most music, you have to take it as a whole, not as a sum of its parts; and the whole is painful.

When you think about it, Secret Rings did a shitty job of sticking to the Arabian Tales theme.

The first level was a neat desert, then for some reason you went to Dino Island, then fought robots, then to a pirate ship.

The desert and the flying island were the best levels.

I AM JOHN! said:

Let the Speed Mend It and Dino Jungle are really good songs in spite of the horrible lyrics. But like most music, you have to take it as a whole, not as a sum of its parts; and the whole is painful.

Seven Rings in Hand is honestly a large reason why I stopped playing Sonic + the Secret Rings. It's so, so fucking awfully fucking shit.

Sciz

I AM JOHN! said:

Mario & Sonic has an instrumental version of Let the Speed Mend It. I remain pissed at Sega for not releasing instrumentals of the rest of the soundtrack. :(

Knives said:
Here's what you need to know:

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, and CD are generally regarded as the best games in the series (all were on the Sega Genesis except Sonic CD which was a Sega CD game). Sonic Adventure and 2 on Dreamcast were considered good for their time (8.7 and 9.4 on IGN IIRC, respectively), but fundamental flaws (linear level design, forcing players to play as other characters with radically different gameplay styles, shoddy camera and abundance of bugs) hold them back from being true classics - flaws that have re-surfaced and are only magnified in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog (360), as well as Sonic Heroes and Sonic and the Secret Rings which aren't as bad, but still suffer. Sonic Unleashed seems to be a good game, but not in line with the classics - although lately that's all I ask from the franchise.

tl;dr version: The series sucked after 1994.

in a way, Sonic's popularity is his own worst enemy. Despite his games being fairly shitty, they sell extremely well, fooling Sega into thinking Sonic should be on the level of Mario and putting him in sports games, RPGs, racing games, and trying to turn him and his friends into shitty platform game stars. In reality, Sonic is a really shallow character. He runs really fast from one end of a level to another. He works best (and probably only) as a 2D platformer, but Sega can't seem to do that. If Sonic were a little less popular, say at the Megaman level, maybe Sega could get away with what Capcom is doing w/ Megaman 9 and make a true 2D Sonic sequel for XBLA/PSN/VC, but it seems like Sega doesn't want to "lower themselves" to that.

Sciz said:
Mario & Sonic has an instrumental version of Let the Speed Mend It. I remain pissed at Sega for not releasing instrumentals of the rest of the soundtrack. :(
I've never noticed it. Where and when does it play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom