• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Aaron Strife said:
tl;dr version: The series sucked after 1994.
Advance 2 aside, DIMPS has done decently with the handheld titles. Rush Adventure in particular was generally well designed and a lot of fun.

Jaded Alyx said:
I've never noticed it. Where and when does it play?
One of the Dream Events, as far as I know (as I don't own the game). You can hear it at the end of this video, as well as an instrumental of Sonic Heroes.

TheGreatDave said:
Seven Rings in Hand is honestly a large reason why I stopped playing Sonic + the Secret Rings. It's so, so fucking awfully fucking shit.

Make-believes reborn! Make-believes reborn!
Myths in mind re-thought! Myths in mind re-thought!
Question all that's known! Question all that's known!
Legends blurred and torn!

Sciz said:
Advance 2 aside, DIMPS has done decently with the handheld titles. Rush Adventure in particular was generally well designed and a lot of fun.
I was excluding the handheld titles - while they're good, it doesn't make up for 10 years of shit.

That reminds me, I still need to buy Rush Adventure. It's Sonic and Blaze, right?

God, the thread where people were trying to interpret what the sword meant at the end of the last issue is so funny looking back. Everything from Mother to Chrono to Zelda to Kingdom Hearts. :lol

Ninja Scooter said:
in a way, Sonic's popularity is his own worst enemy. Despite his games being fairly shitty, they sell extremely well, fooling Sega into thinking Sonic should be on the level of Mario and putting him in sports games, RPGs, racing games, and trying to turn him and his friends into shitty platform game stars. In reality, Sonic is a really shallow character. He runs really fast from one end of a level to another. He works best (and probably only) as a 2D platformer, but Sega can't seem to do that. If Sonic were a little less popular, say at the Megaman level, maybe Sega could get away with what Capcom is doing w/ Megaman 9 and make a true 2D Sonic sequel for XBLA/PSN/VC, but it seems like Sega doesn't want to "lower themselves" to that.

Sega simply believes that people don't want a classic Sonic anymore. They think a straight up fast paced platformer wouldn't work and that there needs to be a twist involved. Everything has to have a twist in their mind. This is why they can't make a good game now. The stupid twist they force themselves to introduce ruins the game, be it shitty friends or Sonic himself.

Sciz

Aaron Strife said:
I was excluding the handheld titles - while they're good, it doesn't make up for 10 years of shit.

That reminds me, I still need to buy Rush Adventure. It's Sonic and Blaze, right?
Yeah, just the two of them again. Your mileage with all of the sailing stuff may vary, but the actual level and boss design is the best Dimps has ever done.

Linkzg said:
Sega simply believes that people don't want a classic Sonic anymore. They think a straight up fast paced platformer wouldn't work and that there needs to be a twist involved. Everything has to have a twist in their mind. This is why they can't make a good game now. The stupid twist they force themselves to introduce ruins the game, be it shitty friends or Sonic himself.
To be fair, every game Sega has done without a twist has been a monumental failure (see for example: Sega Rally Revo).
Sciz said:
Yeah, just the two of them again. Your mileage with all of the sailing stuff may vary, but the actual level and boss design is the best Dimps has ever done.
Disagree on the levels. I think they're some of the worst Dimps levels since the first Sonic Advance. Couldn't agree more on the boss fights, however.

_Alkaline_ said:
Make-believes reborn! Make-believes reborn!
Myths in mind re-thought! Myths in mind re-thought!
Question all that's known! Question all that's known!
Legends blurred and torn!

See, I honestly had no idea what he was singing at all. For a long time I thought it wasn't English.

Linkzg said:

this is why i think its the perfect time for one. In the last couple of generations you probably couldn't get away with selling a 2D Sonic on the PSone or Xbox for full price...but now with the advent of DLC and XBLA/VC/PSN you could definatley make a full fledged 2D Sonic sequel and sell it for $15 or something and it'd probably be a fucking huge success...unfortnately because people eat up Sonic in an RPG or Sonic hanging out with furries so Sega thinks he's too good for it i guess.

Sciz

I AM JOHN! said:
Disagree on the levels. I think they're some of the worst Dimps levels since the first Sonic Advance.
SRA is the first Dimps Sonic game where I could play it and not regularly get thrown into offscreen spikes, badniks, or bottomless pits. For that, it wins in my mind.

Pachael

Before people get too hung up over Sonic again, consider that it's yet another third-party exclusive for the Wii! Yay!

Gozan said:
But we know Sega will chose the worst possible thing for the game, so there will be Sonic with a rapping sword
Code:
Was born for a lifetime on Angel Island yeah, (Yeah)
His duty's to protect Master Emerald diamond,
Hold the climate, he's searching for shining.
But every time he look for the sun, can't find it, (Uh)
Is this the way, the path I chose? (Yeah)
Then why am I living with my heart so cold? (Uh)
All that I see is a storm of stones?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I said "WHAT?" about seventeen times in a row in disbelief and confusion.

I mean, WHAT?

I don't even... HUH?

YEAHBUHWHAT?

TreIII

aeolist said:
The real question is if Sonic Team is making it or not at all.

Fixed. :D

Frankly, things being what they are, I would be much more open to this idea if some one else BESIDES Sega/Sonic Team themselves were making it.

Dimps would probably be able to make a work-able game out of this. Or hell, how about another 3rd party (like Koei)? :lol

plufim

For a sonic game, we've skipped straight to stage 2 of the cycle from just a magazine cover. Perhaps there's a chance that this is secret rings 2, just with sword attacks thrown in? There's no reason to assume it's not a platformer yet, at least.

OgnodoD said:
Is there any actual info on this game yet? Is it a platformer, RPG, what?

Nothing. It's getting kinda ridiculous actually.

Judging from the name and the sword, it sounds like an RPG though.

D-X

Sonic and the secret rings
Sonic and the black knight

I can see a pattern here. If this is anything like SATSR I'm in. I'm not too worried about the sword I'm guessing it'll be split into running and duels. Sounds like Sonic in Spamalot rather than the Arabian nights. Looks like no Robotnik as the main enemy again though.

Sega cannot surprise me anymore officially.

unless they make Shenmue III...

plufim said:
For a sonic game, we've skipped straight to stage 2 of the cycle from just a magazine cover. Perhaps there's a chance that this is secret rings 2, just with sword attacks thrown in? There's no reason to assume it's not a platformer yet, at least.

Yeah, I could actually see this turning out kinda cool at least. . .if it uses 1:1 for that damn sword.

I hope this comes out late enuff for that to be thrown in. . .I want to know something about this other than "sword = bad" before I bash it.
(That plain worked out for me with the CV fighting game. I waited and waited and now I know that this is what I wanted from SOMEONE. . .it's a Power Stone like game thats not as much focused on being a good fighting game as much as it's focused on being a fun, free run 3D "action vs" game)

TreIII

_Alkaline_ said:
Nothing. It's getting kinda ridiculous actually.

Judging from the name and the sword, it sounds like an RPG though.

Would kind of defeat the purpose of the BioWare game though, wouldn't ya think?

I'm going to go on a limb, and say "Dynasty Warriors-style" hack n slash.

Hell, it probably be the ONE type of game where having Sonic and all his lil friends together couldn't be THAT bad of a thing. :lol

And hey, I guess this could be Creative Assembly's answer to a "Wii game". Same type of gameplay like in "Spartan" and "Viking", but just with Sonic instead. :lol

Pachael

TreIII said:

Hell, it probably be the ONE type of game where having Sonic and all his lil friends together couldn't be THAT bad of a thing. :lol

And hey, I guess this could be Creative Assembly's answer to a "Wii game". Same type of gameplay like in "Spartan" and "Viking", but just with Sonic instead. :lol

Remember when there was a thread about a 'Sonic Dynasty Warriors' or something like that (or Sonic Musou) - this type of gaming might be what he/she might have been alerted to.

EDIT: Drat, beaten.

TreIII

Pachael said:
Remember when there was a thread about a 'Sonic Dynasty Warriors' or something like that (or Sonic Musou) - this type of gaming might be what he/she might have been alerted to.

EDIT: Drat, beaten.

Mr. Pointy said:
If this turns out to be Sonic Musou as that guy basically said, I'm going to laugh my ass off.

Same here.

But again, if any one ranging from Koei/Omega Force or Creative Assembly was working on such a game, I would think that would actually give me reason to actually LIKE the idea.

If nothing else, a Musou-type game starring Sonic could still be fairly fast paced, AND it could stand to have a decent camera and no bottom-less pits! :lol

TreIII said:

You know, after Shadow, the Dark Brotherhood and Were-hog, nothing's impossible for the Sonic franchise anymore. :lol

Sega are ultimate trolls, confirmed.

There are probably a large list of fans that are given the finger to in one swift blow: Mother, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic, Final Fantasy, NeoGAF, and possibly Fire Emblem fans.

btkadams

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
KH3 IS COMING FOR WIIII NOOOOOOOOOOO, WHY SQUARE WHY?!!

o, its just another crappy sonic game. well..its about time i hit the ol' dusty trail.

Sciz

aeolist said:
The real question is which Sonic Team is making it.
My kneejerk reaction aside, I don't think Sega Studio USA has had the time to put something presentable together after finishing NiGHTS JoD. We could be looking at another Sonic '06/Secret Rings situation where Sonic Team is doing Unleashed, and another part of Sonic Team is doing Black Knight with help from outside studios. Or it could be something completely different.

ZeoVGM

Banned
D-X said:
Sonic and the secret rings
Sonic and the black knight

I can see a pattern here. If this is anything like SATSR I'm in. I'm not too worried about the sword I'm guessing it'll be split into running and duels. Sounds like Sonic in Spamalot rather than the Arabian nights. Looks like no Robotnik as the main enemy again though.

Sega cannot surprise me anymore officially.

unless they make Shenmue III...

I'm pretty sure we have a winner here folks. I doubt there's any need to freak out. I bet there's a chance you don't even use a sword often, if at all. Instead that's just telling of the setting of the game.

TreIII

_Alkaline_ said:
You know, after Shadow, the Dark Brotherhood and Were-hog, nothing's impossible for the Sonic franchise anymore. :lol

Not to mention the fact that its had two different types of fighting games, a total of 3 racing games, a puzzle game, a pinball game, a Metroid-like game (Tails Adventure, Game Gear)...

Again, it's not so much the notion that it's another spin-off that worries me. Sonic's had plenty of them, even back in his hey-day.

It's the notion that present-day Sega can't seemingly make a GOOD Sonic game in itself that worries me. That's why, again, I would be more enthused if this game was actually done by a 3rd party, or at least, NOT Sonic Team. :lol

vesp

Zenith said:
so we have Sonic and werewolves.
Sonic and turn-based RPGs
and now Sonic with sword fighting.

how can a pubisher be so blind as to the wants of its fanbase and the bashing of professional critics. it's like they're doing this intentionally.

It's the same reason weve had a million nonSRPG shining forces shoved down our throats since the saturn, but no true successor.

Blueblur1

Sciz said:
SRA is the first Dimps Sonic game where I could play it and not regularly get thrown into offscreen spikes, badniks, or bottomless pits. For that, it wins in my mind.
As soon as I was getting heavily into the RPG sections with 'buying' moves I stopped playing. I fuckin' hate that game.

ctalamode

Neo Member
Again, can someone who has gotten the magazine post the info about this? Right now, this thread is basically 13 pages of speculation and (mostly rightful) prejudice.

I'll admit, had I seen that image of Sonic with a sword back in the day, I would have shit up at least thirty pairs of pants. And then shit again.

btkadams

Ninja Scooter said:
in a way, Sonic's popularity is his own worst enemy. Despite his games being fairly shitty, they sell extremely well, fooling Sega into thinking Sonic should be on the level of Mario and putting him in sports games, RPGs, racing games, and trying to turn him and his friends into shitty platform game stars. In reality, Sonic is a really shallow character. He runs really fast from one end of a level to another. He works best (and probably only) as a 2D platformer, but Sega can't seem to do that. If Sonic were a little less popular, say at the Megaman level, maybe Sega could get away with what Capcom is doing w/ Megaman 9 and make a true 2D Sonic sequel for XBLA/PSN/VC, but it seems like Sega doesn't want to "lower themselves" to that.
i truly think they could make a great game if they did just that. the sonic rush and sonic advance series proves they can still do a 2d sonic and not suck. selling on psn/xbl would make them great money too cause i know people would buy it. hell id buy it for sure just to have a new 2d sonic.

Sciz

Blueblur1 said:
As soon as I was getting heavily into the RPG sections with 'buying' moves I stopped playing. I fuckin' hate that game.
er, what.

The only thing remotely close to buying moves in SRA involves the various watercraft, which isn't at all a problem if you have any idea how to play a Sonic game. There's nothing at all about it that would make me think "in-depth RPG".

btkadams said:
i truly think they could make a great game if they did just that. the sonic rush and sonic advance series proves they can still do a 2d sonic and not suck. selling on psn/xbl would make them great money too cause i know people would buy it. hell id buy it for sure just to have a new 2d sonic.
They tried making another classic style 2D Sonic once. It was called Sonic Advance, and it was a poor man's imitation of the games it wanted to be. I'd be very surprised if anyone at Dimps or Sega could do any better these days.

Pachael

brandonh83 said:
I'll admit, had I seen that image of Sonic with a sword back in the day, I would have shit up at least thirty pairs of pants. And then shit again.

We'd have been going 'OMG Sonic RPG gonna cream the pants off Mario RPG look Nintendo mua haha'

Now we're just laughing at ourselves.

Heck, there was a point in time where Sonic fans were lording the games and heckling the comic/cartoons for their out of this world environments, now Archie can make Sonic into a werehog and claim that it was in the games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom