• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Boom: Review thread

JordanN

Banned
Sonic 06 actually beat this.

iEWslXLeiH0X.png

TheArabGamer redeemed?

Seik

Banned
Great week for gaming, isn't it?

Ubisoft humiliation over Assassin's Creed and Sonic going backward to being barely better than 06.

At least the coming games this month (DA:I, GTAV and Smash) will redeem this.

Stephen Frost should go back to game journalism instead of lying to people insisting that the game would be better than the early footage and leaks depecited

Kirlia

Banned
It's probably worth mentioning that Game Informer gave Sonic 2006 a 6.75 compared to the 4 they gave Sonic Boom.

OnPoint

It's probably worth mentioning that Game Informer gave Sonic 2006 a 6.75 compared to the 4 they gave Sonic Boom.

It's also worth noting that back then anything under a 7 in Game Informer was considered "bad". And they rarely gave anything of note anything less than a 7.

L Thammy

Sonic 2006 came at the beginning of the gen, shortly after the PS3's launch. So maybe they were still in next gen hype mode.

Kirlia

Banned
It's also worth noting that back then anything under a 7 in Game Informer was considered "bad". And they rarely gave anything of note anything less than a 7.

Hey, it was only .25 away from that fabled 7. I was also kind of surprised that the game even scored THAT HIGH when the GI review came out (I remember them giving Sonic Rush Adventure something like a 7.25).

Sonic 2006 came at the beginning of the gen, shortly after the PS3's launch. So maybe they were still in next gen hype mode.

True. But I remember the Second Opinion being something like a 5.75; still higher than the Sonic Boom review!

MormaPope

Banned
Terrible Sonic games like this and Sonic 2006 are almost comforting, in a really morbid sense. There's something refreshing about being legitimately puzzled and intrigued by a title like this.

I actually hoped for the 3DS version cause Sanzaru did such a great job with Sly 5. I suspect both games were rushed by Sega, cause Sanzaru are good developers.

OnPoint

Hey, it was only .25 away from that fabled 7. I was also kind of surprised that the game even scored THAT HIGH when the GI review came out (I remember them giving Sonic Rush Adventure something like a 7.25).

I paid a lot of attention to review scores back then, and I'm telling you, under a 7 was bad news. It was so rare for anything that had an actual name attached to it. They really did their best to rate from 10 - 7, with anything less being varying degrees of bad.

Averon

What is it about the Sonic franchise that makes it so hard for developers to create a decent game out of it?

Also it just dawned on me by mentioning advance 3: in a matter of days (Nov. 21), Super Mario 64 DS is gonna be 10 years old. Yeah, the remake / port / game-thing-that-looks-like-past-game-thing-w/e of SM64 will be a decade old. ._.

AniHawk

Also it just dawned on me by mentioning advance 3: in a matter of days (Nov. 21), Super Mario 64 DS is gonna be 10 years old. Yeah, the remake / port / game-thing-that-looks-like-past-game-thing-w/e of SM64 will be a decade old. ._.

fun fact - super mario 64 sold 11.63 million copies from 1996-2003. super mario 64 ds sold 11.03 million copies from 2004-2014.

nintendo should put out super mario 64 ds 3d and just keep the train going.

Kirlia

Banned
I paid a lot of attention to review scores back then, and I'm telling you, under a 7 was bad news. It was so rare for anything that had an actual name attached to it. They really did their best to rate from 10 - 7, with anything less being varying degrees of bad.

Yeah...the lower the score, the more snark there typically was. Things seem to have changed a bit there, if the Sonic Boom review was any indication (or maybe the author of that review is a bit more polite and to the point than other GI reviewers).

This game is laughable.

Watch the ending cutscene, the animation in it is comparable to an amateur fan project. Seeing as this entry is based off of a cartoon, there couldn't be a bigger red flag that this game was written off a looong time ago.

Canon

Banned
This has potential. It's better to be bad than it is to be average. At least it will get some sales for those who are curious about its suckage.

Top Bottom