• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice Announced, 3DS, Sanzaru, Winter 2015, TV show successful

HUELEN10

Ruby, thanks for answering some of the questions; I am liking what I am hearing! For you, I have 2 questions.

1. Do you know any details you can share on the comic cancellation? A lot of us loved Archie's boom effort.

2. Will this game have an N3DS functionality?

I like the show. It's amusing.

Well, if they focus on making this one less glitchy and a lot faster, than.. it'll be fine.

Sad there's no Amiibo functionality?

Because Sega Amiibo would be pretty neat.

This means Sonic Team is working on something amazing right?....right?....RIGHT??!!!!

black-kid-crying-gif.gif

Fuck you Sega...

DeVeAn

Ugh, I am not happy that this Sonic Boom shit is still a thing. Can Sonic get some Brand standards already? SEGA doesn't even respect the damn character anymore.

Sanzaru did damn fine work on Sly 4, so maybe if they're the only developer this time and they can go off the (mountains of) feedback from the previous game this could turn out good. Otherwise it'd be awkward if the only worthwhile thing to come out of this entire experiment was the TV show and comics.

It isn't surprising that this is coming, considering that the TV show is a hit. I am not annoyed with this, as Sanzaru did a okay job with SC and with most of that gameplay already complete, they can make improvements and make a better game in the long run :). I enjoyed the trailer, so I am wondering where this game is going honestly.

Regarding Sonic's future, the series is fine :l. Sure, RoL is Sonic 06 levels of horribleness in the since that it almost killed the franchise again (after Colors/Generations/Lost World were great games...), but the series still has a lot coming.

We have the following coming based on what we know:
-Sonic Runners is releasing in the west sometime this year (the game is sorta out already anyway :l)
-Sonic and Mario is releasing this year (not a real sonic game but its something).
-Fire and Ice is launching this fall
-A Sonic film is in the works by Sony (releasing next year? Who knows honestly :l).
-The Generations Team Sonic Team is working with X1 hardware and by that logic, PS4 hardware as well; they have been working on a game since 2011 after Generations released (with them somewhat assisting the Colors team with Lost World).
-The Colors team must be working on something (as they finished Lost World and its Nintendo DLC by early 2014).

Sonic games are coming....it will just take a bit longer until the ones many of us want (The Colors and Generations teams tittles) to come out/be announced. For all we know, this E3 could announce the next big game in the series too :D.

Wanna comment on a few things, but I just wanna say Lost World was far from a great game. It was by no means littered glitches or anything, but it was just such a "meh" experience. The writing was as awful as Sonic Colors, the gameplay was slow, and the overall level design was a mess. I love this franchise, but I don't want to settle for mediocrity. This franchise deserves better titles that Lost World let alone Boom. I do agree Colors and Generations were fun titles to play. Heck, it's a guilty pleasure, but I even enjoy Unleashed to an extent.

Anyways, you're right in the sense that the franchise is alright. There is no denying that the games could be selling better (would help if they were actually good). Fire and Ice was probably put into development a few months after the original 3DS title. Remember, Sonic Boom games are no different than the yearly TMNT, Ben 10, Adventure Time, or Spongebob games. It's a tie in game for a TV show. I expect nothing more than "ok" from this game in all honesty. This is why I'm super curious as to what the main team has been working on. We're already getting Mario and Sonic 2016 and Sonic Boom this year, so I don't expect anything this year for the main line of games. I just hope our patience isn't rewarded with another Lost World tier game. I'm expecting an even more polished Generations (Ex: walking in open areas isn't super funky).

To be superior to the original 3DS title is not going to be difficult. All they need to do is streamline the experience a little bit; the original forced the player to complete the optional missions to progress, and that's shitty. When I finish a level, I want to play the next got-dang level.

More, shorter levels would be best, and a less segmented game style. Shattered Crystal had relatively small areas with a lot of enerbeam catapulting around, sort of like Lost World 3DS and it's miniature stages with disguised loading in between. If they can somehow either lose that or make it more organic, it'll be a shoe-in.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
The original 3DS game wasn't as bad as Rise of Lyric, but we'll see what happens. And guys, no matter what happens, this must be the OT title:

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice |OT| A Sonic of Ice and Fire

Zelias

Banned
I'm still waiting for that localization. :(
Might as well just play the Japanese version at this point. It's just started its 3rd anniversary celebrations and there's still no word on a US/EU version. If you're waiting, you're going to be waiting a looooong time.

HUELEN10

The original 3DS game wasn't as bad as Rise of Lyric, but we'll see what happens. And guys, no matter what happens, this must be the OT title:

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice |OT| A Sonic of Ice and Fire
I'll think about it, but I make no guarantees.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ruby, I've already asked this on your blog, but did you cut back the level length? Speed-oriented gameplay does not mesh well with 20+ minutes long levels. Shorter levels with a more consistent flow work much better with Sonic. Granted, this wasn't exclusively a problem with Sonic Boom 3DS, Sonic Lost World 3DS and Sonic Heroes featured overly long levels, too, but of course it is a concern with the direct sequel to last year's 3DS Sonic.

MrBadger

Ruby, I've already asked this on your blog, but did you cut back the level length? Speed-oriented gameplay does not mesh well with 20+ minutes long levels. Shorter levels with a more consistent flow work much better with Sonic. Granted, this wasn't exclusively a problem with Sonic Boom 3DS, Sonic Lost World 3DS and Sonic Heroes featured overly long levels, too, but of course it is a concern with the direct sequel to last year's 3DS Sonic.

His earlier replies in this thread indicate that they've taken the criticism about levels being too long and too collectible-focused into consideration when designing this game.

Yoshi

His earlier replies in this thread indicate that they've taken the criticism about levels being too long and too collectible-focused into consideration when designing this game.

I must have overlooked this, thank you and sorry for asking this again. I really hope they are choosing a more sensible level length this time around. Level length (therefore pacing-problems), collectible-focus (also leading to pacing-problems) and short game length were the game's main problems, if this is fixed, Sonic Boom Fire & Ice might well end up being a good game :). I'll buy it anyway, because it's retail-Sonic, but of course I prefer buying good games over bad ones ;). I'm wondering if Dimps is still working on the Sonic franchise? I'd love to see what they could come up with in 2+ years they will have had since their last Sonic game. Sonic Rush series was incredible and their 3DS-Sonic games seriously suffered from lack of development time.

woopWOOP

Oh, Sonic Boom 2? Missed this news.

Trailer honestly doesn't look all that bad. The ice gimmick seems kind of... simple? You can make some crazy Ikaruga-level stages with it tho.

Good luck to the developers. After Rise of Lyric a lot people will automatically write this one off. Also good to know the TV show is doing pretty well.

Village

How about Sonic Generations 2 for Wiiu/PC/XBO/PS4? Or a 3DS game with just classic Sonic levels?

Does anyone want Sonic Boom 2?

I would like... well i'm not going to get into how I think boom is being handled, but I' not apposed to more boom. Show is quite funny, just wished, everything was being handled better. Funny ain't going to carry you to the franchise finish line.

On that note, while i love generations

I don't want generations 2. I think the 3d gameplay or the gameplay in general in that game was held back because it was generations.

I just want generations 3d style levels, with multiple playable guys, with new levels. I don't want generations 2, i want them to do something with that gameplay though

RubyEclipse

Sega of America

Yes - level length has been reduced in order to make sure the flow feels much faster. The exploration elements, extra paths, and collectibles are still there, but they're totally optional now and you won't be required to gather them to move on to another island. (And there was much rejoicing!)

Sorry for the wait on all the responses today, guys - busy day. :) Going to edit in some more to this post now.

More, shorter levels would be best, and a less segmented game style. Shattered Crystal had relatively small areas with a lot of enerbeam catapulting around, sort of like Lost World 3DS and it's miniature stages with disguised loading in between. If they can somehow either lose that or make it more organic, it'll be a shoe-in.

The enerbeam loading-sections are out, and springs that instantly take you to the fore/background are in. It should look and feel much more natural as you play a level - if you don't even notice it, we've done our job!

YEEEESSS!! This is the most important aspect for me. I like hunting for collectibles, but when it's a mandatory thing, it ruins the gameplay for me.

Yep! I confirmed with the team today that it is, indeed, purely optional this time around. Once you beat a level, you can move right on to the next one. I posted it above, but wanted to mention it here specifically for you. :)

Ruby, thanks for answering some of the questions; I am liking what I am hearing! For you, I have 2 questions.

1. Do you know any details you can share on the comic cancellation? A lot of us loved Archie's boom effort.

No news on that from my side, sorry! I know the most about the gaming side of the series, but I do know that the team at Archie are really cool people. (I got to work with them some years ago when we put Vyse, Ai-Ai, Beat, and a few other SEGA characters into one of the Sonic comics for an All-Stars Racing Transformed promo.)

The enerbeam loading-sections are out, and springs that instantly take you to the fore/background are in. It should look and feel much more natural as you play a level - if you don't even notice it, we've done our job!

Thanks for the response. I was concerned my original post was overly negative, because I do enjoy the original 3DS game. I feel like it has a good line in exploration, and I liked the little extras like the tokens and the comic. New one sounds well on track to being an improvement.

BBboy20

...we're never getting Sly 5, are we?
Sony, please save Sanzaru and let them work on Sly 5.
Wat r u doing Sanzaru

WHERE IS SLY 5
I believe in you Sanzaru, we'll chalk up Shattered Crystal to internal politics.
And here I was hoping Sanzaru was working on the next Sly game. Damn.

That bot racing doesn't sound like something I want in a sonic game. Sonic is the speed character. Why would I want a mode based around speed that doesn't start Sonic?
Developed by Sanzaru, not Red Button.

That means it could be good.
Sanzaru's just keeping warmed up for Sly 5.
Trailer didn't look half bad, honestly. It is Sonic, so you don't know if they'll make an actual good game out of it or if it's only a tease. But at least Sanzaru is handling it, they did a good job with Sly Cooper.
At least the least awful of the two got a sequel, but I was hoping Sanzaru would be moving onto Sly 5. =(

I hope the next game is longer than 4 hours as well.
I need Sanzaru to be working on Sly 5, though. I luuurved their work on the fourth one.
Yeah it wasn't good but it didn't crash and burn like Rise of Lyric did, which stands at a 32 in Metacritic.

its the lesser of 2 evils, and at least Sanzaru is competent to know where they screwed up, at least I hope.
You know nothing Sanzaru Snow.
Dude I love sanzaru so much, I hope they dont get stuck with small dev cycles and rushed games.

Truth is, rushed games suck, and if your games suck, other publishers might not want you to make games for them.

Its an awful cycle, sony save sanzaru from this please. They deserve sooooooooooooo much.
Looks alright, at least it looks like a more traditional style sonic game. Sanzaru is a solid studio so at least the game is in good hands.
>Sanzaru again

Aaaaand Sly 5's either being made by a new team or it's getting delayed... again.

Seriously though. Sly Cooper died (After finally being revived after an 8 year hiatus) for Sonic Boom. I am utterly pissed.

Your assessment of the quality of Sly 4 is a bit off, but otherwise your question/concern is valid.
Is Sly 5 even confirmed?
There's a Sly movie coming out next year and Sly 4 was a moderate sales success IIRC. I'd be pretty surprised if Sly 5 wasn't happening, at least something to complement the movie coming out.
Not officially, but Sly 4's cliffhanger ending certainly implied it.

It's almost as bad as the Mega Man Legends series situation, actually. Except Sly 5 is more likely to happen than Mega Man Legends 3, as unfortunate as that may sound.

Also, Sly 4 CHARTED in February 2013. At number 9, but still.

Honestly can they even improve from Transformed? By all means make an awesome Sonic racing trilogy, but I didn't even think they were gonna do a diddy kong racing-esque sequel to the first game. Seemed like one of those awesome things that are one-and-done. Might be a controversial opinion, but Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is probaly the best non-Smash Bros. game to feature Sonic released in this entire decade so far (Sequel included I guess).
The Sly movie is next year? I thought it was just Ratchet. It would be a very good way to complement the movie. Given the ending to Sly 4 I would think they did it to leave room for a sequel but it doesn't seem like it is happening unfortunately. Is there a dev that could start it and finish it by the time the movie releases next year? Or maybe Sony farmed it out to a dev that has been working on it quietly.

lol
Sanzaru why you no work on Sly
jk...... maybe
Sanzaru did damn fine work on Sly 4, so maybe if they're the only developer this time and they can go off the (mountains of) feedback from the previous game this could turn out good. Otherwise it'd be awkward if the only worthwhile thing to come out of this entire experiment was the TV show and comics.
Sanzaru has two teams, right? They might be working on Sly 5 as well, right?...Right? : (
=D At first, I thought Sanzaru getting work was good...but then the possibility of never making Sly 5...D=

Yoshi

Yes - level length has been reduced in order to make sure the flow feels much faster. The exploration elements, extra paths, and collectibles are still there, but they're totally optional now and you won't be required to gather them to move on to another island. (And there was much rejoicing!)

Thank you, I really hope it works out well. Glad you're back!

Top Bottom