• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice Announced, 3DS, Sanzaru, Winter 2015, TV show successful

CNCOMICS

tumblr_nm4j6oKQOH1suni9po2_400.gif
tumblr_nm4j6oKQOH1suni9po1_400.gif

Hell, I would've bet Sonic the Werehog would've been back before a Sonic Boom sequel.

But to be fair, the show is pretty good.

MrBadger

Hey Neogaf!

It's been ages. Sorry for not posting sooner. :)

As some of you may have heard, I'm back at SEGA now. When they let me out of the cage, I even get to post about Sonic on the Facebooks and the Twitters and across the internets.

Today, I got totally free and I got to post this news about Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. So far, It's a pretty solid game but
Sean Bean dies in the last cutscene. I am sorry, Sean Bean.

Real talk, though: notable changes to the formula this time over last year. I've been clarifying this around the net, but didn't want to forget you guys:

- No Wii U version this year (and no infinite Knuckles jump)
- Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is being built by Sanzaru, who made Shattered Crystal last year.
- While Shattered Crystal was definitely the stronger of the two titles, there was still a fair bit that the teams wanted to change and improve. This time around, they're putting a lot of effort into taking fan and press feedback and building from it.

As an example, a key complaint last time around was that the levels felt too large, and took too long to complete. Levels this time around are being streamlined to play much faster, and the pacing has also been adjusted to match.

There's a lot more to talk about on this one, but I humbly offer myself to the wolves in order to help answer your questions and say hello. As long as your question isn't "Sega y u do dis", and I can respond, I'll do my best to jump in!

- Aaron

This particular aspect is important to me and I'm glad they are working from feedback.

Will this game play more like a traditional Sonic with the hidden collectibles being a bonus, or is finding stuff to unlock new areas still a big part of the level design? Also, anything you can tell us about the soundtrack?

Red Devil

Evidently the last game suffered from being 'down ported' from the PS4/XBO to the WiiU and had a lot of development issues. If this game is built straight up for the console this time around, there is a good chance it could be something actually decent.

Except that Shattered Crystal, wasn't downported from anything to 3DS and it wasn't that great in comparison to Rise of Lyric it was good but you don't need much for that. Rise of Lyric was ill-conceived from the beginning.

WillyFive

It still looks as polished and fun as your average licensed marketing TV show tie-in game. What gives this any more credibility to be a good game than a Spongebob game?

Merc_

Hey Neogaf!

As some of you may have heard, I'm back at SEGA now. When they let me out of the cage, I even get to post about Sonic on the Facebooks and the Twitters and across the internets.

Today, I got totally free and I got to post this news about Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. So far, It's a pretty solid game but

Real talk, though: notable changes to the formula this time over last year. I've been clarifying this around the net, but didn't want to forget you guys:

- Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is being built by Sanzaru, who made Shattered Crystal last year.
- While Shattered Crystal was definitely the stronger of the two titles, there was still a fair bit that the teams wanted to change and improve. This time around, they're putting a lot of effort into taking fan and press feedback and building from it.

As an example, a key complaint last time around was that the levels felt too large, and took too long to complete. Levels this time around are being streamlined to play much faster, and the pacing has also been adjusted to match.

There's a lot more to talk about on this one, but I humbly offer myself to the wolves in order to help answer your questions and say hello. As long as your question isn't "Sega y u do dis", and I can respond, I'll do my best to jump in!

- Aaron

Here's some feedback: Don't.

Seriously, it doesn't look any different from SC apart from the fire and ice gimmick. You guys had to know the response this game was going to get.

Hey Neogaf!

- Aaron

Okay first off, Sega y u do dis?!?!
Couldn't be helped :v

Second, Can you tell us about any more key changes that were made? I know there was more then just the exploration bit that was complained about. also, I really hope they made an effort to make 100% collecting an actual reward instead of a chore that gave us nothing at the end (a dance party? seriously?!) Hell a cheat mode would be nice to those who 100%'d the game. and please no hard mode at 100%, lets not pull a sonic heroes again.

Third and totally unrelated but figured I'd ask since you are here, do you know if the "Consumer Design Development Division" of SEGA still exists? (underlined part important because theirs an unrelated Consumer Development Division) any SEGA preferably, I'm asking for an old SOJ employee (no joke, bumped into him on Kotaku a few days ago) I'd like to know if his old division he used to work for exists still or is completely dissolved.

Thanks for answering.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Hey Neogaf!

- Aaron

I have a few question.

-Does this game play like a traditional Sonic game or is it more of the same thing as the last game?

-Do I need to hold a run button to make Sonic run?

-Can I just play as Sonic and not as anybody else?

-Any chance of a good Sonic game on the Wii U?

-Will the Knuckles glitch be in the game? ;p

-Bonus Question: What is Sonic Team up to? >_> <_< >_>

RobbieNick

Thanks for coming back Ruby. I have a few questions.

Is collecting do-dads still the primary goal or secondary?

Is it a longer game than the very short Shattered Crystal?

Who writes the story?

Are the bot races similar to the Rival races in the first game.

Is D-Fect in the same robot series as Orbot and Cubot?

Are the unlockables better this time? I hated those trophies.

Any streetpass features?

Is this game the rumored "Sonic Mach 2"?

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Thank you for posting here :D.

Great to hear that Sanzaru is taking feedback from the community, press and fans from the heart, leading to a stronger game this fall.

If you can answer this, that would be really cool of you: how is the collection system in Fire and Ice? What I mean, is that do you have to collect X amount of things to unlock the final level or is it like past Sonic tittles where you just have to clear the level to progress the game.

Thank you for your time and welcome to NeoGaf :D.

My understanding is that collectibles are optional, and I'm confirming this now with the team. (So, once you clear a level, you'll be able to move on to the next one.)

Thanks for the welcome and the kindly worded question - my time here goes back years, but it's good to be back. :)

Don't forget about SonicGAF, Ruby. We miss you.

I won't! :) Promise.

This is resources that could have gone to an English Phantasy Star Online 2.

Yes i'm still bitter.

You have no idea how much I want to see that game release, personally. I have a 200 HUnewearl from PSOBB and I played every single iteration of that game since Dreamcast V1. Sadly, no news on it from my side. Just know I feel you!

This particular aspect is important to me and I'm glad they are working from feedback.

Will this game play more like a traditional Sonic with the hidden collectibles being a bonus, or is finding stuff to unlock new areas still a big part of the level design? Also, anything you can tell us about the soundtrack?

The focus is definitely more on a faster experience this time around. Collectibles are optional and unlock some neat things as you progress.

The soundtrack is being composed by someone you're probably familiar with - Richard Jacques! The music in our announcement trailer was done by Hyper Potions, who happen to be fellow Sonic fans.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Who asked for this? Did someone here at GAF ask for this? Did ANYONE, ANYWHERE ask for this?

I'm under the impression that they think no one knew how horrible the first game was. Would it have been so hard to just make Generations 2?

This game is made by Sanzaru, who has nothing to do with Sonic Generations. This game wouldn't have impact the development of Sonic Generations (2) by Sonic Team at all.

ArtHands

Hey Neogaf!

- Aaron

I am interested in hearing more about the fire and ice thing for this game...perhaps you can talk about about the new features?

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
If Sonic Boom can get a sequel I guess we can't rule out sequels to Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog as well.

drowning-sonic.jpg

... I wouldn't hold your breath for those. :)

I am interested in hearing more about the fire and ice thing for this game...perhaps you can talk about about the new features?

Totally!

You'll have the powers of both Fire and Ice in the game that you can toggle between by hitting the shoulder buttons. You can toggle these on the fly, mid-run, as often as you want.

Within the levels, you'll find elemental blocks and interactable components that you can adjust depending on which of the elemental powers you have on. As you can see in the trailer, you can melt ice blocks with fire, or freeze water blocks with ice, etc. It's all pretty simple early-on, and gets more complex as you progress.

Any comment about Wii U that you can make? It is telling that there's no Wii U Boom 2 game, and I'm referring to something Sonic-related hopefully being in its place on Wii U. Please?

Purely 3DS with this one!

MrBadger

The focus is definitely more on a faster experience this time around. Collectibles are optional and unlock some neat things as you progress.

The soundtrack is being composed by someone you're probably familiar with - Richard Jacques! The music in our announcement trailer was done by Hyper Potions, who happen to be fellow Sonic fans.

Thanks for getting back to me! Glad to hear Jacques is doing the music again

Any comment about Wii U that you can make? It is telling that there's no Wii U Boom 2 game, and I'm referring to something Sonic-related hopefully being in its place on Wii U. Please?

RK128

My understanding is that collectibles are optional, and I'm confirming this now with the team. (So, once you clear a level, you'll be able to move on to the next one.)

Thanks for the welcome and the kindly worded question - my time here goes back years, but it's good to be back. :)

Thank you for answering back :D. Its nice to know that the collection system is being more rewarding; this would lead exploration into something far more rewarding them to just unlock the final boss and some random dancing.

Great pick for trailer music, as it sounds great and it feels like a natural fit for Sonic.

Sanzaru is a great pick for a developer and they know how to make improvements on a game (check out Sly 3 and 4 if you have the time; the team worked really hard in fixing Sly 3 when making Sly 4), so I have high hopes they fix everything that was wrong with Shatter Crystal and in turn make a fun Sonic game :).

And welcome back to NeoGaf :).

RK128

Totally!

You'll have the powers of both Fire and Ice in the game that you can toggle between by hitting the shoulder buttons. You can toggle these on the fly, mid-run, as often as you want.

Within the levels, you'll find elemental blocks and interactable components that you can adjust depending on which of the elemental powers you have on. As you can see in the trailer, you can melt ice blocks with fire, or freeze water blocks with ice, etc. It's all pretty simple early-on, and gets more complex as you progress.

That mechanic reminds me of a game called Outlast; where you use 'Light' (Blue) and 'Evil' (Red) powers with the tap of the shoulder buttons. That mirrors what you guys are trying to pull with Fire & Ice (but that being more 'speedly' with you doing it in rapid succession).

Oh, and one last question. If you can answer this, do you and Sanzaru plan on porting Fire & Ice to Wii U? Because the game would be a natural fit on the console (the bigger touch screen, ability to switch characters with the extra shoulder buttons, ect).

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Thank you for answering back :D. Its nice to know that the collection system is being more rewarding; this would lead exploration into something far more rewarding them to just unlock the final boss and some random dancing.

Great pick for trailer music, as it sounds great and it feels like a natural fit for Sonic.

Sanzaru is a great pick for a developer and they know how to make improvements on a game (check out Sly 3 and 4 if you have the time; the team worked really hard in fixing Sly 3 when making Sly 4), so I have high hopes they fix everything that was wrong with Shatter Crystal and in turn make a fun Sonic game :).

And welcome back to NeoGaf :).

You're very welcome! Glad you liked the trailer music, too. I'm a big fan of Hyper Potions, and we thought it was a perfect fit. Those guys deserve a lot more recognition.

The team at Sanzaru are also really great people. I would comment more about them, but I'll sum it up by simply saying that every time I've met them in meetings, at shows like E3, etc, they've been a pleasure to talk to, and are truly dedicated to what they do.

That mechanic reminds me of a game called Outlast; where you use 'Light' (Blue) and 'Evil' (Red) powers with the tap of the shoulder buttons. That mirrors what you guys are trying to pull with Fire & Ice (but that being more 'speedly' with you doing it in rapid succession).

Oh, and one last question. If you can answer this, do you and Sanzaru plan on porting Fire & Ice to Wii U? Because the game would be a natural fit on the console (the bigger touch screen, ability to switch characters with the extra shoulder buttons, ect).

No plans to port the title currently. Good question, though!

Woah woah WOAH THIS IS KINDA IMPORTANT

Indeed it is! We're pretty excited to have Richard working on this one. (My memories of his work date back to this OST, which is still one of my favorites.)

ArtHands

drowning-sonic.jpg

... I wouldn't hold your breath for those. :)

Totally!

Purely 3DS with this one!

I am assuming there will be character-specific fire/ice skills too then? I am interested to see how these powers will come into play with the boss fights now.

RobbieNick

YEEEESSS!! This is the most important aspect for me. I like hunting for collectibles, but when it's a mandatory thing, it ruins the gameplay for me.

I'm glad to hear the fire and ice powers are something you can switch between rather than some gimmicky thing like the Wisps. I'm still very skeptical but hoping for the best.

Forgive me if this has already been answered but can you beat the game by just playing as Sonic in this one?

Totally unrelated but do you think the GBA/DS Sonics will appear on Wii U Virtual Console any time soon?

RK128

This so much. I know Sanzaru needs work to stay afloat but if Sony won't give them Sly 5 despite the epic setup for it, I fear that some good days are behind us.

For all we know, they have two teams; a smaller one working on Fire & Ice with the bigger team making a Sly tittle to match the upcoming film. They have had a lot of time to make it too (with last year having them make two Vita ports and Shattered Crystal), so I have hope they are also making Sly 5 alongside this new Boom game.

I say if Sony doesn't announce it by Gamescom or PSX, then worry about the game, but for now, I have hope they will announce it this year (and what better place then E3? After all, Ratchet PS4 is bound to be shown off, so having a Sly 5 trailer coming after it would be great).

Edit: GameExplain uploaded a video discussing their reaction to Sonic Boom Fire & Ice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L06JbcKM8mU
They have a lot of hope for the game and they see promise in the tittle :).

Cobanermani456 also posted his reactions to the game trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNOHGbh5zKc

bon

Hey Neogaf!

- Aaron

Hi dude welcome back.
Can you comment on when Sonic Runners will leave Canada? I keep hearing it's pretty good for a mobile game.

Village

As a Sonic fan I am disappointed.
Your sentiments are echoed by many.

This isn't sarcasm, this seems to have been met with disdain on many sites.

Sonic 06 and Shadow were Adventure sequels, why would they suddenly make a sequel to those?
That is false, for a buncha reasons. The only strait up sequel to the adventure games that was supposed to be a thing, was sonic unleashed.

If Sonic Boom can get a sequel I guess we can't rule out sequels to Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog as well.

hmmm.

Merc_

RK128

lol the usual excuse of "it's for children" is being used in full force here. Newsflash: being for kids will never excuse a game for being shit.

They were commenting on the Wii U game with that statement :l; the Wii U game is shit and they know that, they just don't hate the tittle as much as most of us. If I owned a Wii U and played the game....I would likely echo the same feelings of "Well....this isn't that good but it isn't horrid :l".

Village

Tell me, why no?

I would imagine since sega decided that the show is the focus, which again is dumb for... and entirely different reason,and that they have shown with sonic products they make themselves let alone getting other studio's involved, they have no issue rushing this product to market. This being pushed even further because sonic boom and the show being the focus. Doesnt inspre confidence

Along with the, he might not like sonic boom man. I mean its funny but nothing happens in that show, and nothing will probably happen in this game, and odds are this game wont sell enough t have an effect on the show so whats the point.

Thats what I imagine a lot of peoples problems are anyway

Top Bottom