• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick

This is gonna be the one guys! Just like the last 6 Sonic games, this will be the one to make Sonic good again! I can feel it in my chillidogs!

JazzmanZ

for the love of fuck

at least we can be sure it'll bomb as a Wii U exclusive

It's nice to know consumers rather have every game on the Wii U bomb rather than actually succeed making the problem bigger for the Wii U on third party relations.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The trailer is not that good, the music is awful, but I kind of like the idea behind the game. I need to see more of it, but looks some kind of adventure game and that's perfectly fine as Wii U has enough platformers already.

JMPerona

well, that is a 2015 game, isn´t it? Then I should worry about it until the game its done. Aren´t Red Big button a company made from the people who made Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter??

Tsunamo

I'm amazed they managed to make Knuckles design look even worse.

Gameplay wise it looks like it could end up turning decent though so I'll keep an eye on it.

mf luder

Knuckles has never even heard of leg day.

Also I can't stand everyone being able to keep up with sonics running speed. Whats the point of being the fast main character when everyone else can keep up with you.

If its going to be co-op I suppose they have to be similar speeds. As for the game, I'm glad its different and am willing to give it a chance.

Ferrio

Banned
So is there going to be a new form of sonic haters... ones who despise this but love the previous design? That blows my mind.

zod18

Banned
Unfortunately, that's not enough to bring Sonic back. Also what's up with the weird Street Fighter title?

Zomba13

I feel like the only sane man in the asylum when I say that that is awful

Do people legitimately like the adventure games?

I liked 1 and 2 at the time. Going back they are clunky and the open world stuff isn't great but at the time with 1 I thought it was pretty cool being able to explore these open environments with Sonic characters. 2 and Heroes got rid of them so it doesn't matter there but in 06 they were horrid. Unleashed was slightly better as they were nice looking and kinda fun to get the hidden medals but still weren't needed and slowed progression from level to level (and the Sonic ones were really fun).

I'm a huge Sonic fan and the most open-world like I want is choice in my linear levels (alt pathways etc) and a hub world at most (like Generations or Lost World if you make the lost world one control well...).

Also I don't know what to say to people that want a co-op Sonic game. They never work right. You always get left behind or stop the progress of the other player (or in the case of Sonic 4 ep 2s horrid multiplayer, cause a time space rift where both players have completely different things happening on their screens).

repeater

Disappointed to find this is a game about a hedgehog and not a rhythm game where you just play one long continuous drone for ten minutes:
Spectrum.jpg

Character models aside, I did like that trailer. It's like an N64 game brought to modern design. I'm not a much of a Sonic fan, so this is like an outsider's opinion.

batbeg

Big Red Button say whaaa--! I've been waiting years to see what they would work on and Sonic was most certainly not anything like what I'd expected. Very intrigued to see if they can pull this off though.

I remember seeing them show up in an indie CryEngine demo trailer, is it possible this game is running on the engine?

EDIT: Here is the CryEngine demo reel and yes, it's quite clearly the same game as it features the same grass hut thing.

pakkit

Banned
I feel like the only sane man in the asylum when I say that that is awful

Do people legitimately like the adventure games?

At the time it was novel. The Adventure games don't really hold up to today's standards, however. So an update would have to do a lot to convince me.

sonto340

I just noticed this, but at about :30 Sonic falls on his face in the exact same way as he does in Unleashed, Colors, and I'm pretty sure Generations.. That's a running gag I hope doesn't go away.

The gameplay looks interesting. Sonic looks like he controls mostly the same as in Lost World(the way he does that homing attack around :51), and each character has their own sorts of skills that look unique.
When Knuckles in Climbing along the ceiling, you can see a lot going on, level design wise as well.

Seriously people, look past the redesigns for a second and look at the game we're getting.

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
Clearly, a work in progress. And they have plenty of time to make it better, if it's a 2015 title. It'll probably look more interesting as time goes by.

think positive think positive think positive

On a serious note, though, at least they're not making the same game over and over and are willing to try different things. That kind of courage is nice in today's gaming climate.

Vashzaron

Some people ask for the classic Sonic design, others were fine with the modern design.

Sega's choice; here have this instead.

Zomba13

And with Sonic designs I never minded Modern Sonic's 'cool' and 'edgy' look. Never liked Shadow though, felt like it was trying to hard to be a Vegeta to Sonic's Goku.

Don't like the new designs though. Usually I like little scarves on characters (Wonder Red, Viewtiful Joe, Proto Man, Link in Hyrule Warriors) but here it looks silly on Sonic and so much bandages.

Is this design permanent? I mean really, Tails and Amy look ok but Sonic and Knuckles are flat-out hideous; and what's going to happen to the characters like Blaze and what-not?

I'm trying to get a read on the gameplay in the trailer and I ain't coming up with anything that looks like it actually works together, I'll need more footage and actual info to truly get an idea but it's like seeing a bunch of Sonic Adventure gameplay concepts crammed together into one gameplay mode instead of being separate? I mean perhaps there's something here but it all looks really....I want to say generic because outside of Sonic's speedy self the rest of it looks a very by the numbers kids game which would make sense considering the whole Sonic Boom show deal.

So Sega still working on another boost game right? RIGHT?!

I was legitimately not going to entirely trash this but then I saw a pew-pew shooting section in the trailer with Tails.

After the utterly terrible Lost World, they need to knock it out of the park to make up for it.

Mory Dunz

If I heard correctly, was there a new cartoon too?

Maybe the designs are based off that cartoon.

If there is a cartoon tie in, already higher sales than Lost World guaranteed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
After the complete disaster that was Sonic Lost World, I have no hope for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom