• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Street Date (and fans' hearts) Broken

Hollycat

High Impact Games has a terrible record. All the developers of bad R&C and Jak games together.
http://www.metacritic.com/company/high-impact-games

So I am not surprised at all...

Edit: Heavy Iron is even worse.
http://www.metacritic.com/company/heavy-iron-studios

It is obvious why they only advertised the ND ex-employees.

Size matters and secret agent clank are pretty good, and lost frontier is just mediocre.
I am talking about the psp versions of course, the ps2 versions can smurf right off.

Getting a Knack feeling from this. Everything about it aside from the visuals looks like a PS2 game. Gameplay, level design, etc. I don't think it looks quite as aggressively terrible as people are making it out to be but it's definitely not something I'll play.

GamerJM

Banned
Size matters and secret agent clank are pretty good, and lost frontier is just mediocre.
I am talking about the psp versions of course, the ps2 versions can smurf right off.

Yeah I actually think Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank are pretty underrated, those games being good was part of why I was interested in this game in the first place. It seems like Big Red Button is comprised of devs who have worked on shittier games in addition to those though so eh.

Blues1990

there is believed to be some legal issues between them, so it wouldn't happen

Nah, I mean something along the lines of the Donkey Kong Country Returns & Sonic R JonTron episodes, where its just nonsensical sketches that either rip the game apart, or are just completely silly.

Somnid

I seriously doubt the main problem is the developer, this is very clearly Sega rushing a product out the door without giving a fuck.

It's a shame because Sonic Lost World at least had potential and there was some fun to be had in the game despite being mediocre at best. This game looks so rushed and awful, I wonder how Nintendo feels about this.

Does it at least have decent music? Lost World had one of my fave tracks of recent gaming.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I give you, the new Sonic cycle. (Not mine.)

B2H50VRCMAAFftv.png:large

I seriously doubt the main problem is the developer, this is very clearly Sega rushing a product out the door without giving a fuck.

If it is, I can't imagine Nintendo being happy.

PKGaming

Banned
It's a shame because Sonic Lost World at least had potential and there was some fun to be had in the game despite being mediocre at best. This game looks so rushed and awful, I wonder how Nintendo feels about this.

Does it at least have decent music? Lost World had one of my fave tracks of recent gaming.

It does not. Even if a Sonic game is terrible, it usually at least has a nice soundtrack. Even Sonic 06 had some great songs. But Sonic Boom doesn't even have that. None of the songs have stuck out to me so far!

Also, this is my personal favorite Lost World song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwQQGicfI2g

Mesoian

Just watched the first two episodes of the show.

Yeah, this show isn't very good.

This entire project may have been doomed from the start.

We already knew the game was gonna be bad just from the redesign of the characters.

Imagine, 20 years ago, we had sonic & knuckles, a game with some the best level design in a 2d game ever to this POS.

You would imagine Sega would put some effort and release good sonic games being their big money maker...

The last Sonic game i played was generations and i only played half of it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's not the worst show on TV. That's still Uncle Grandpa.

But it's pretty clear to see why CN kept this FAR away from their usual premieres.

No way, that show is fun, plus it's 100% a more creative endeavor than a CG video-game tie-in.

Plus, you know, Johnny Test exists.

Mesoian

No way, that show is fun, plus it's 100% a more creative endeavor than a CG video-game tie-in.

Uncle Grandpa literally feels like everyone at that studio got super high and watched a bunch of adam sandler movies, then made characters based on the sounds they made. It is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE show.

Sonic Boom is...at best...inoffensive. It's just completely flat.

Edit: I thought Johnny Test got cancelled. I thought it and Ben 10 both ended earlier this year.

Zafir

Looking at that Stream, the open world does seem to look significantly better in single player, shadows are back. That said it's still no Super Mario 3D World or Mario Kart 8.

Amir0x

Banned
in a sort of sick way I'm almost glad this happened. Like I was going to ignore Sonic Boom before, but now I'm excited to see all the gifs people are going to make of the final product :<

Foffy

Banned
in a sort of sick way I'm almost glad this happened. Like I was going to ignore Sonic Boom before, but now I'm excited to see all the gifs people are going to make of the final product :<

You grin at misery. The Dracula of NeoGAF. :3c

Seik

Banned
It's insane how the game isn't even out yet everyone knows it sucks so badly.

Sales will be terrible, I hope they will be terrible and they deserve to be terrible, dammit. It shouldn't be that hard to put the money at the right place and just make Generations 2. :(

krizzx

I give you, the new Sonic cycle. (Not mine.)

B2H50VRCMAAFftv.png:large

If it is, I can't imagine Nintendo being happy.

That's not a cycle in any form. A cycle must come back around to the start. Its just ends on a game sucking.

Also, this is the fist crappy Sonic games released in a long time.

ShadiWulf

don't know where this pic came from, saw it in a chat i was in, saw its not posted here yet, so thought i would share it. its pretty amazing

DlIA0oe.png

Amir0x

Banned
You grin at misery. The Dracula of NeoGAF. :3c

no man like I used to love Sonic. But it's just... I was never going to get anything out of a Sonic game designed like this from the start. At least this way we can get some entertainment from this disaster now, right?

Right? :(

I enjoyed the demo they're previewing there. Wasn't terrible at all IMO.
My problem with the demo was the exploration level was a mess. However, that level is not even in the final build. We got the E3 version as a demo.
I feel better watching the first hour. You can do 3 chapters the time it takes to even get the plot going in the Wii U version. Wii U version is a hot mess.

Votron

is this really cryengine? I mean what's the purpose of using a high end engine if it's gonna come out looking this ....shitty?

Top Bottom