• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
Sega has been pretty awesome lately. Maybe your tastes are just questionable. They are an amazing publisher.

my tastes are perfect, they're just an abomination underneath God and all that is righteous.

Fuck atrocious NiGHTS 2, fuck atrocious Sonic games, only good from them recently has been Sonic Rush titles and probably this. Probably.

TreIII

Amir0x said:
my tastes are perfect, they're just an abomination underneath God and all that is righteous.

Fuck atrocious NiGHTS 2, fuck atrocious Sonic games, only good from them recently has been Sonic Rush titles and probably this. Probably.

Oh, come now, what about the recent Sega Ages and the upcoming Nights PS2? Sure, they're remakes, but there was always a possibility even Sega to find a way to muddle those up. :lol

After I get my Sega Ages Bare Knuckle collection, then I'll probably be ready to depart from Sega for good. But for now...BioWare and Nintendo (through Smash) both seem to be doing much better with Sonic than Sega could ever hope to do, so this makes me happy. :D

Amir0x said:

Crush, Virtua Fighter 5, and Sega Rally Revo say "fuck you." :(

Actually, fuck Crush, that game is impossible :(

Amir0x said:

Sonic Rush and DIMPS' GBA Sonics were very, very bad.

Amir0x

Banned
SEGA can hardly be complimented for the development talent behind CRUSH - that was Kuju. But fine, if you wanna fine tune the terms - they have a 1 in 20 chance of publishing something that isn't totally shit, and a 1 in 6,000,000 chance of developing something that isn't totally shit. Virtua Fighter is the one franchise they haven't corrupted totally actually hehe.

ivysaur12

Banned
Amir0x said:

A lot of us liked NiGHTS 2 :(

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Xav said:
I don't understand what you guys are getting excited about, who in the world told you a Sonic RPG was a good idea. Let's take Sonic known his for amazing speed and put him in the slowest genre ever, RPG's.
Someone needs to tell Bioware making Sonic slow is not a good idea.[/IMG]

Oh wait it's Bioware, first DS game with screen tearing confirmed.

Die, now, Bioware hating scumbag.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Sonic and His Shitty Friends of the Old Republic
I know, it's of of a combination of bad bad bad omg fucking awesome that might just work, somehow, after all it is Biowares first foray on DS, and we all know how good their non-handheld games are.

Amir0x said:

My most unintentionally funny post of the year so far, great stuff.

I need info on this badly. This could be something special.

And Sega has been really good lately but apparently hating Sega is still in.

Xav

_dementia said:
Sonic Rush and DIMPS' GBA Sonics were very, very bad.
That's an instant fail for you.
motorcycle.gif

Shadow's in the game. Looks like it's gonna suck. :(

In fact, game fails for not just being Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. They're the only "shitty friends" who are good anyway. :(

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Reading the name "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" makes me think of the most pathetic fanfiction ever.

Then I read the description of the game, and it sounds like the best Sonic game in years, despite being the complete antithesis of classic Sonic games. What the fuck.

Amir0x

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
A lot of us liked NiGHTS 2 :(

I bet!

Stop It said:
My unintentionally funny post of the year so far, great stuff.

something something you like Wii, post automatically loses

Himuro said:
They're still an amazing publisher. You said it yourself in this thread - Sonic rpg will be your last Sega game, when in reality, this is developed by Bioware. It's a similar situation: Crush was published by Sega just like how this will be. Cognitive dissonance is always a blast to point out.

Let's grant them Crush, Virtua Fighter and this game. So... they're an "amazing" publisher for releasing MAYBE three good titles out of the... I don't know... thirty games or something they released in the last year? Well, I guess cognitive dissonance is a blast.

castle007

Banned
giggas said:
In game graphics have a water color look, all hand drawn
-4 party members at a time
-Each character can do certain things ex: Tails can float over things (standard stuff)
-11 party members total - 8 known are Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Shadow, Big the Cat
-Control done fully with stylus - think Hourglass
-Able to split party into teams at certain moments
-Rings are used as currency
-No random battles, see enemies on the field
-Turn based battles, choose commands for everyone in your party before they actually follow through. Want battles to be fast paced
-Elite Beat Agents style special attacks
-Team attacks (like Chrono Trigger)
-"Fatigue Points" instead of MP
-Choose which attributes to increase when you level up
-Purchase and level special attacks
-Bits of story - Sonic's on vacation from defeating Eggman 2 years ago. Gets a call from Tails that Knuckles has been kidnapped by a group called the Marauders, and that 6 chaos emeralds are missing. Eggman not the main villain. But Bioware wants to make him a creditable bad guy again. Something about a "twist" between Eggman and Sonic that goes back to the earlier games.
-2 acts - first takes place in standard Sonic areas. 2nd takes place in a darker world
-Remixed classic tunes
-"fully animated cut scenes"

-simple dialogue trees
-Side quests

the motherfucker took a 2 year vacation?? :lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Why are they calling it Eggman?

Why aren't they putting up a fight for Robotnik?
Dammit, sounds lame.

Amir0x

Banned
John Harker said:
Why are they calling it Eggman?

Why aren't they putting up a fight for Robotnik?
Dammit, sounds lame.

let's face it, in a game called DARK BROTHERHOOD Eggman is a boss I can take seriously

Himuro said:
Those were just examples, to be truthful.

Sure because after those we're about the start wading through those difficult muddy waters wherein you list titles that most people think are totally shit, and then we argue about personal taste, and i say 'your taste is crap' and you say 'no, your taste is shit!' and write up a long post and make your own thread about it because hey!

Jiggy

8 known are Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles,
At least they got the good ones.
-Turn based battles, choose commands for everyone in your party before they actually follow through. Want battles to be fast paced
These seem like awesome, awesome things if done right.

jman2050

The game based on that info actually sounds pretty awesome.

I'm intrigued by the Elite Beat Agents style of attacking.

Kyosuke

giggas said:
-No random battles, see enemies on the field
-Choose which attributes to increase when you level up
-Purchase and level special attacks
-Something about a "twist" between Eggman and Sonic that goes back to the earlier games.
-Remixed classic tunes
-"fully animated cut scenes"
-simple dialogue trees
-Side quests
Doesn't sound bad. Especially this:

This has a lot potential if it's done right.

ivysaur12

Banned
I fear that Silver is going to be in the game.

- Sonic
- Tails
- Amy
- Knuckles
- Rogue
- Shadow
- Big the Cat

That's 7. The only other characters that I really think will be in it are Cream, Blaze, E-102 Gamma, and Silver.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly it's not the shitty friends themselves that were bad, it's how SEGA always designed gameplay around them.

If playing as BIG THE CAT in Sonic RPG means slow, dumb and fishing mini-games, then that'd suck.

Penguin

Amir0x said:
Honestly it's not the shitty friends themselves that were bad, it's how SEGA always designed gameplay around them.

If playing as BIG THE CAT in Sonic RPG means slow, dumb and fishing mini-games, then that'd suck.

I know you love Big the Cat secretly.
Don't lie.
I can see inside your soul.

But really that has become Sonic's problem is they have all these gameplay types that aren't Sonic. And then going through the same level like 7 times or so.

jman2050

Linkzg said:
even if this game turns out amazing, that doesnt stop it from being one of the more bizarre ideas for a game.

Even with this info, the SC4 bombshell will win most bizarre idea for a game in 2008. This is pretty up there though.

Ten-Song

Himuro said:
Seriously. Story wise, all they had to do was rip off the comic books. Sally and Bunny ftw.

Ugh, I'll pass on that. I'll take anything that puts Sonic being a step closer to the old Sega games over the comics/modern games/cartoons/bad fan fiction.

Amir0x

Banned
Ok I understand this is an RPG, but do people really care about the story here? I mean, I guess I never really thought there was exactly much material in the Sonic universe... was hoping they handled it in the sort of joking fashion Paper Mario does. Lots of fanservice and good writing and lots of fourth wall breaking.

Penguin said:
I know you love Big the Cat secretly.
Don't lie.
I can see inside your soul.

But really that has become Sonic's problem is they have all these gameplay types that aren't Sonic. And then going through the same level like 7 times or so.

Heh, exactly. I still wonder how they're going to really translate Sonic's speed to a genre which is not typically known for speed. Guess an "EBA" style battle system is as good as any... translate speed through speedy tapping combinations

Mashing

I dunno, I just don't think Bioware will put their heart into this game since it's not a IP they created (well, the KOTOR games weren't either so I suppose there is some hope). I just think this game is relegated to their b-team. Regardless, I'll try to remain optimistic, just becuase it IS Bioware.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
giggas said:
-Turn based battles, choose commands for everyone in your party before they actually follow through. Want battles to be fast paced.

Oh no, fuck that. Hype -100000. I don't care if it's Bio-Ware, that goes against the "no wait" spirit of Sonic games, so the only reason this game has Sonic in it is because Sega wants to milk this franchise even more.

temp

posting on contract only
jman2050 said:
Even with this info, the SC4 bombshell will win most bizarre idea for a game in 2008. This is pretty up there though.
No way, man. There was precedent for guest characters in a Soul Calibur game, but Bio "We Want To Work On Our Own Franchises" Ware making a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG game is just out of the blue.

KevinCow

Banned
I just... don't get this. It seems to be a completely opposite direction from what the series should be doing.

The way I see it, more recent Sonic games have been primarily ruined by an emphasis on story and too much slow and shitty gameplay that detracts from the speed that makes Sonic great. The Adventure games would have been great if they'd just been a bunch of the Sonic/Shadow type stages polished up a bit, none of the mechs or fishing or treasure hunt shit, and if they'd removed all the cutscenes and any attempt at a real story.

And what are RPGs? Story-heavy games with slow and shitty gameplay!

Amir0x said:
Ok I understand this is an RPG, but do people really care about the story here? I mean, I guess I never really thought there was exactly much material in the Sonic universe... was hoping they handled it in the sort of joking fashion Paper Mario does. Lots of fanservice and good writing and lots of fourth wall breaking.
Exactly. Any story that's not this is going to detract from the game.

Haunted

temp said:
I just don't even know why this is a Sonic game. It makes me feel so conflicted.
this.

Bioware RPG on the DS... and then it's a Sonic game!? I'm excited and scared at the same time.

Top Bottom