• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Classic Sonic mode looks like the first exciting Sonic thing since Sonic Adventure (1). A pity it's not the whole game, but ... maybe I'll buy it?

I don't understand why they don't just NSMB it up and go all the way, though. Hopefully this is a trial run and they'll jump into the pool next go around.

DeVeAn

Diablohead said:
Since uncurling was fixed only 2 things remain which annoy me now, that's instant spindashing using a button which seems to be useable while moving like sonic adventure and the pre-set bounce heights from jumping on badniks (THIS IS WRONG)

Fix plz sega k thx
I don't see an issue with the spindash button as you can avoid it and perform the move the old way.

Elfforkusu said:
Classic Sonic mode looks like the first exciting Sonic thing since Sonic Adventure (1). A pity it's not the whole game, but ... maybe I'll buy it?

I don't understand why they don't just NSMB it up and go all the way, though. Hopefully this is a trial run and they'll jump into the pool next go around.

It wouldn't really work, NSMB kinda sucked & was sold completely off the Mario name & co-op gimmick.
A newer refined Unleashed/Colors is more important than the classic gameplay anyway.

iavi

OMFG Endless Mine!!

The nostalgia is killing me right now. All I need is a confirmation of the PC version and I will buy the game, and every inevitable level dlc packs ever released.

Sciz

See You Next Wednesday said:
It wouldn't really work, NSMB kinda sucked & was sold completely off the Mario name & co-op gimmick.
A newer refined Unleashed/Colors is more important than the classic gameplay anyway.
NSMBW didn't sell 20 million copies by sucking.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just noticed that Classic Sonic has different results screen animations depending on your ranking. If it's solely an A rank or below, he does something similar to a pirouette and wags his index finger. :D

I think my body is starting to get ready for this game and demo.

Professor Beef said:
Oh man, that reminds me of my favorite moment in the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpGh2gF4i1o&feature=related
I KNEW that's what it was going to be. The Japanese version is funny too. I like both versions.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Eh, but NSMB Wii was a fun game, even with or without co-op (which was also fun in itself). It sold millions for a reason outside of being a (classic-looking) Mario game. It had that "Nintendo-esque quality and polish" there. I'm very positive that a lot of my friends who don't play games a lot would invest in a NSMB Wii 2 just because it was fun and evoked feelings of nostalgia.

The music wasn't amazing though, I'll give you that. :/

Sciz said:
NSMBW didn't sell 20 million copies by sucking.
The game is succeessful from a classic gameplay and multiplayer approach, but I really agree with what Amirox was arguing in one of the other threads, that NSMB suffers from a horrendously clinical and sterile art direction. It's my biggest gripe with that game, and why I prefer playing DKR or Galaxy over it. They are visually inviting and creative showing me stuff I haven't seen before, while being fun to play. NSMB only has one piece of that equation.

Elfforkusu said:

Sonic 4 was/is totally their attempt at doing a NSMB game and Episode 1 was a pretty major let down.

Sciz

SwiftSketcher said:
The game is succeessful from a classic gameplay and multiplayer approach, but I really agree with what Amirox was arguing in one of the other threads, that NSMB suffers from a horrendously clinical and sterile art direction. It's my biggest gripe with that game, and why I prefer playing DKR or Galaxy over it. They are visually inviting and creative showing me stuff I haven't seen before, while being fun to play. NSMB only has one piece of that equation.
I'll agree with that, the NSMB aesthetic is terribly bland. Rock solid game, though, where it counts.

Green Scar said:
Didn't see this posted, maybe it was, I dunno, but hey guys CHECK OUT THIS MADNESS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL77-jlfDTs&feature=player_embedded
Coming at this from a direction that's less painful to watch, someone posted the whole Crush 40 performance that the classic City Escape audio was taken from. Most intriguing is that they covered Super Sonic Racing and Sonic Boom. Not especially well, but it makes me wonder if they'd bother learning the songs just for a one-day bash.

ShadiWulf said:
That video will turn this thread into madness. Good bye thread! It was nice seeing people discuss the actual Sonic games for once on neogaf.

I think the game looks good! But when Sega puts on a weird little amateur theatre presentation with people dressed as Sonic, followed by a cosplay contest, I'm not gonna not post that.

ShadiWulf

Green Scar said:
I think the game looks good! But when Sega puts on a weird little amateur theatre presentation with people dressed as Sonic, followed by a cosplay contest, I'm not gonna not post that.
I personally think the musical is good, those were the Sonic 4 contest winners. Here is the original version if you never saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48zUHUNFWr4

anyways, I was kinda joking. i like the insane neogaf sonic threads, they are a good laugh!

ShadiWulf

Professor Beef said:
I'll check it out later. My headache is only now winding down, and I don't need it to come back.
awww come on. It won't give you a headache. it's good stuff!

You know you wanna see it! I can see the curiously in an aura around you

ALSO, Click the video that was posted if you want to see Jim Sterling head-banging

ShadiWulf said:
awww come on. It won't give you a headache. it's good stuff!

You know you wanna see it! I can see the curiously in an aura around you

ALSO, Click the video that was posted if you want to see Jim Sterling head-banging
I didn't mean headache as in "oh this is gonna suck." I had an actual bad headache, and I want to wait until it goes away before I watch something. xD

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Green Scar said:
Didn't see this posted, maybe it was, I dunno, but hey guys CHECK OUT THIS MADNESS

The Sonic Says "touching is bad" stuff was lol.

Having done music theatre at one point in my life, I can empathize with how quickly they have to do those costume changes. Perhaps I don't find it as embarrassing since I had to do this sort of wackiness during our productions of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, Cats, Les Mis and The Rocky Horror Show... and a few Gilbert and Sullivan pieces. I thought it was interesting, at least.

The cosplay stuff at the end, though. Oh... wow... XD

My boyfriend is dying of laughter over here. He wants to give the Knuckles guy the "I'm Idaho" Award.

And the Crush 40 stuff was great.

Dark Schala said:
The Sonic Says "touching is bad" stuff was lol.

My boyfriend is dying of laughter over here. He wants to give the Knuckles guy the "I'm Idaho" Award.

Agreed, and yesyesyes! Haha, that's brilliant.

To Far Away Times said:
This video doesn't get me nearly as hyped as the green hill zone one. I guess it goes to show how little charm was in SA2 and its city environments. Even the level design appears weaker and much more linear.

I think one trick they're using are the springs that shoot you into the foreground and background, like at the beginning. It could be that's one way they're managing multiple routes; instead of having them vertically stacked, some of them are lined up side-by-side. You can see at 0:30 where the two routes might merge up for the truck sequence.

XLant

Neo Member
Diablohead said:
Since uncurling was fixed only 2 things remain which annoy me now, that's instant spindashing ... and the pre-set bounce heights from jumping on badniks (THIS IS WRONG)
Glad I'm not the only one concerned with this. Instant spindash is optional and therefore less of an issue, though it does detract from their claim of recreating the 16-bit gameplay.

Fixed jumping however will have a significant effect on the level design, enemy placement, and how the game can be played in general, for everyone. A major reason why the classic quartet (quintet including CD) have aged so well is the level designers looked at what the player could do and structured everything accordingly. They didn't force you to play one particular way each time, thus adding to the interactivity and spontaneity. They pulled it off so well it's borderline sublime, and I think it's what people often fail to verbalize when trying to define exactly what made that string of games so venerable (in addition to the pinball physics, which has been mentioned in abundance).

DeVeAn said:
I don't see an issue with the spindash button as you can avoid it and perform the move the old way.
Sonic adventure speed runs were all about instant spindash spamming, sonic generations will be the same :|

Mista Koo

Haha the musical and the cosplay was awesome (as in too bad it's good), but the original is really good.
They should've made everyone say SEGA!

RobbieNick

Mista Koo said:
Haha the musical and the cosplay was awesome (as in too bad it's good), but the original is really good.
They should've made everyone say SEGA!

They did. Well, if you mean "Se-GAAAAAAAA!"

I interviewed the guys after they performed. The guy who played Knuckles also did the robot and classic Sonic. Their next musical is based on Pokemon and called "Singachu"

The Hermit

TimmiT said:
Yeah, according to the impressions on Sonic Retro, Classic Sonic has the same physics as in Sonic 4 Episode 1 in the 3DS version.

that explains my impression... not buying if they keep it like that

SykoTech

Hey, the Generations thread has been bumped. Maybe there's some ne info that...

Green Scar said:

laptop%20scare

This... was probably not the type of thing they wanted IGN to see:

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/06/10/e3-video-city-escape-breaks-during-live-ign-demo/

What's weird is, as pointed out in the comments, that section doesn't even have speed boosters in the trailer, which means they were either pulled out or made invisible just for the trailer, or they were stuck in to try to force the section to work when it had problems, which is a bad habit they've had for the 3D games for a while now.

Kard8p3 said:
Don't know if it's been posted but here's footage of the 3DS version
Classic sonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIau-_VQWy4

Modern sonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU3oFpF1Vt0

So in that 1 minute Classic Sonic video we have:

-Heavily-Recycled "current" sound effects (including the annoying wasp noise from Unleashed, especially the Wii version)
-Uncurling for no legitimate reason
-Obvious glitches (Sonic's rings fall through the bridge instead of bouncing off of it, bogging down framerate)
-A very short zone (technically the Genesis stages weren't that long either, but this wasn't exactly a speedrun) with a very awkward ending

I like how Modern Sonic's almost like he's "cheating" his way through a 2D stage instead of legitimately 3D level, zipping on rails around the sections instead of following it linearly. But that's looking pretty poor so far. And the physics have to be consisted with the 360/PS3 version, there's little reason for them not to be.

Not to nitpick or anything, but why is it that no one at either Sega or DIMPS can grasp the concept of staying in a ball when coming out of a ramp?

Kulock said:
-A very short zone (technically the Genesis stages weren't that long either, but this wasn't exactly a speedrun) with a very awkward ending
Seems like a straight up remake of GHZ Act 1, actually. Do we have any idea on how the act format is going to work this time around?

Green Scar said:
Is it just me or is the framerate on the 3DS game total dogshit?
Is it just me or does everything about the 3DS game look like total dogshit? Honestly would've just taken Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance 1 combined onto one cart with old zone graphics haphazardly hacked in if they were going to get lazy again. Especially since it's getting unique levels the console version isn't. :/

Kulock said:
This... was probably not the type of thing they wanted IGN to see:
That's... Admittedly pretty bad, considering the game can't be more than a handful of months away from release now. Still, have hope they'll try and pick out bugs like that considering Green Hill Zone already seems like it's been done over a few times.

Or maybe it's just Generations' subtle way of further paying homage to Sonic Adventure 2?

Yeah, I saw that IGN demo live and it was pretty rough. Once he restarted the stage after the glitch the director or whoever that was controlling Sonic never managed to pick up any rings and halfway through doing the boarding section a second time careened in to an enemy and died.

Patrick looked like he was sweating bullets and the IGN guy was halfway between disinterest and smoldering with "Yep, of course, this is totally a Sonic game".

Sciz

Astrosanity said:
Is it just me or does everything about the 3DS game look like total dogshit?
It wouldn't surprise me if they pushed the Colors DS team straight over to this and they've been incredibly stressed trying to put together a full game on new hardware in under a year.

Top Bottom