• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Firestorm

Sega1991 said:
Oh no, what have I done
ohdear.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvHCQuxh3XQ
Good man.

Teknoman

Honestly, I wish they used the classic version in the trailer. Those genesis drums cant be beat.

EDIT: Damn it Dimps...the 3DS version really is just Sonic 4 physics applied to Classic Sonic for the classic stages, and the homing attack for Modern Sonic. Ugh, dont do this when the HD version looks like its actually turning out to be great.

paranoidjoe

Neo Member
Whats also bad about the classic 3ds is the linear level design. The genesis version had more paths and was bigger.

That came out 20 years ago dimps wtf.

RobbieNick

If I remember correctly, Arron Webber told me that the 3DS version is only about 10% done and is still being tweaked heavily so there's some hope. I personally don't believe the classic level was done. It was way to linear and short. Especially compared to the modern version in the same demo.

Sciz

RobbieNick said:
Arron Webber told me that the 3DS version is only about 10% done and is still being tweaked heavily so there's some hope.
A game that has to be out in probably November is only 10% done as of mid-June?

Doesn't matter what they do, there's no way it turns out well.

RobbieNick

Sciz said:
A game that has to be out in probably November is only 10% done as of mid-June?

Doesn't matter what they do, there's no way it turns out well.

It could be delayed to February like Mario and Sonic is. There's no reason for them to rush it out. I do believe he said 10% though. I'll have to re-check the video when my friend posts it up, but he did say it was still early in development.

RobbieNick

RagnarokX said:
An anniversary game that misses the anniversary year?

....Good point.

E3 Daily magazine had some info that Aarron said was unsubstantiated. They said the game would release in HD in Oct, 3DS in Nov. The main game would have 9 zones with 18 acts for classic Sonic and 18 for Modern. Aaron said that they have not made a release date yet and that those details are unconfirmed and they've told the press nothing like that. They might have been given false info from another source I think.

RobbieNick said:
....Good point.

E3 Daily magazine had some info that Aarron said was unsubstantiated. They said the game would release in HD in Oct, 3DS in Nov. The main game would have 9 zones with 18 acts for classic Sonic and 18 for Modern. Aaron said that they have not made a release date yet and that those details are unconfirmed and they've told the press nothing like that. They might have been given false info from another source I think.
Well, Unleashed had 9 worlds too. One Classic and one Modern act for each would be 18 and 18. And the "confirmed" (according to dubious sources and a picture of some toy boxes) does have 9 stages as well. 3 classic, 3 dreamcast/just after dreamcast, and 3 modern levels would be balanced. Though I hope theres a lot more, I really do.

Tizoc

RobbieNick said:
....Good point.

So 9 worlds/Zones, 2 acts for each character (4 acts), giving us a total of 36 acts? Sounds good to me.

AssaTM

UPDATE: From the floor… For each level you can choose an act depending on what generation you want. There are 9 environments all in 3D. As with all classic Sonic games there are multiple ways to navigate the level but the higher you go the better the rewards. It’s Sonics 20th Anniversary this year and Sonic Generations is a great way to celebrate. Pretty much everyone has played a Sonic game at some point in their life but not like this. With your 3D glasses on you speed through the level faster than should be possible.

GAME the UK retailer are reporting the same thing so it seems to be accurate, I guess someone mentioned it on the show floor to some reporters?

voyant

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

I mean come on really? I know they seen the gameplay in recent Vids and just watching people...there is no way that they actually thought that was how the game played.

What pisses me off even more is that they showcased this footage instead of other footage in the hands of a more skilled player.

And people wonder why they get so much crap about Sonic games.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
nephilimdj said:
Sonic rivals 3-DS

Oh man don't give Sega such ideas.

I wanted a normal Sonic game for the PSP...

voyant said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

I mean come on really? I know they seen the gameplay in recent Vids and just watching people...there is no way that they actually thought that was how the game played.

What pisses me off even more is that they showcased this footage instead of other footage in the hands of a more skilled player.

And people wonder why they get so much crap about Sonic games.
I think your link is broken.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SykoTech said:
Sonic '06 on PS3. Happened before, could happen again.
That game doesn't exist. I don't know what you're talking about.

SEGA did not commemorate Sonic's 15th anniversary. >.>

Voyant said:
Why does IGN hate Sonic so much?
Because they're IGN.

Though you can't exactly blame them, given some of the issues the series has had in a while.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seriously, I shared that video on Facebook, and my friends liked that one a whole lot better than the one SEGA released--it pumps them up even more. Some of them (the non-gamers who recognize Sonic, at least) even liked Escape from the City!

TheOGB said:
Okay, I know the guy playing is terrible, but what the fuck is this
...what the heck just happened there? o_O

The demo they had at E3 is an early build, right? If they're going to release a demo, it should be one that's in the later stages in development for their sake. Though fan criticism did impact Sonic 4 (to make it slightly less sucky), so maybe this is a good thing.

voyant

Banned
I still can't get over how mind blowingly awesome City Escape is...

Its like a HUGE middle finger by SEGA telling everyone to fuck off thinking this game is boost-centric...:

There is so many alternate paths...WIDE terrain to explore...Great sense of Depth. Its just crazy...

How can ANY Adventure Fan look at City Escape for Generations and call it bad?

J@hranimo

Banned
Ok I have a question out of curiosity. In this game with classic sonic do you do a spindash the old school way by holding down and button mashing, is there some sort of insta-spindash, or this there both? I'm asking this because in some gameplay videos it just seems like the spindash goes to max speed in a millisecond where in the old games you had to button mash to get it at the right speed.

J@hranimo said:
Ok I have a question out of curiosity. In this game with classic sonic do you do a spindash the old school way by holding down and button mashing, is there some sort of insta-spindash, or this there both? I'm asking this because in some gameplay videos it just seems like the spindash goes to max speed in a millisecond where in the old games you had to button mash to get it at the right speed.
Both. Although with the way some people are reacting to it, you'd think that Sega was forcing you to use the insta-Spin Dash or your family would be killed.

J@hranimo

Banned
Professor Beef said:
Both. Although with the way some people are reacting to it, you'd think that Sega was forcing you to use the insta-Spin Dash or your family would be killed.

Ok good. That puts that thought out of my mind now.

Only 9 zones? That doesnt leave much room for the 5+ absolutely MUST BE IN-level Sonic 3 h Knuckles zones. And Emerald Coast from SA1.

Seriously if City Escape is in but no Emerald Coast...wow

RobbieNick

J@hranimo said:

A little of both.

In the HD versions, you can either hold X/square for a second or two, then let go OR you can holding down and rapidly tap jump. The latter gives you a really great feeling as you can rev Sonic so fast that red sparks shoot out from under him. 3DS version has Sonic 4's insta-dash where you hold down and tap jump only once to go into full spindash mode.

TheOGB

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
Only 9 zones? That doesnt leave much room for the 5+ absolutely MUST BE IN-level Sonic 3 h Knuckles zones. And Emerald Coast from SA1.

Seriously if City Escape is in but no Emerald Coast...wow
Naw, dude

Dude, naw

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Was this posted? Someone got footage of the Sonic 3 Final Boss in the 3DS version at E3. (With direct feed audio) Doomsday Zone got a remix, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXWMurAdls

Bleh

Not digging this. The song sounds like they took a MIDI from S&K collection and ran it through a generic studio synth and the boss fight itself is a lot of waiting around for attacks to happen so you can eventually get one or two hits off.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Was this posted? Someone got footage of the Sonic 3 Final Boss in the 3DS version at E3. (With direct feed audio) Doomsday Zone got a remix, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXWMurAdls
That arrangement sounds slightly off. Ewwww... and it sounds not... good... when it kicks in. The synth sounds generic, quite unexpected given how Colours DS's soundtrack was like. It's disappointing, really. Odd that they didn't use the Final Boss theme from Sonic 3, though. That fanfare is bad synth as well. It's not grating, but it's very dissatisfying.

The boss fight itself seems boring, consisting of waiting...it's like they slowed the game down dramatically. Its pace does not fit with the music's tempo at all, and seems rather disjointed.

Top Bottom