• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

SykoTech

Professor Beef said:
I dunno. Not that I'm trying to give them a free pass here, but can anyone really say that they liked the Game Gear games?

They weren't great, but neither are quite a few of the Modern games that they're pulling levels from. Some of them still had some nice moments that I would have loved to see remade, like the train level in Triple Trouble (Sunset Park?).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Game Gear? (Laughter) No. For the 3DS we wanted to go with systems of more recent memory. So we are more focused on levels from the GBA and DS.

Why are you so terrible Iizuka. Why. If you're going to celebrate Sonic's handheld history, why not use levels from the handheld games that actually mattered? Modern life Sonic is rubbish

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Iizuka: (Laughter)

Combichristoffersen said:
Why are you so terrible Iizuka. Why. If you're going to celebrate Sonic's handheld history, why not use levels from the handheld games that actually mattered? Modern life Sonic is rubbish
Agreed. Guess I'm getting the console version then.

Combichristoffersen

The Lamonster said:
Agreed. Guess I'm getting the console version then.

I'm almost expecting his next revelation to be this

Mega Drive? (Laughter) No. For the PS360 we wanted to go with systems of more recent memory. So we are more focused on levels from the Dreamcast and GameCube.

Teknoman said:
Arent there sections like that in one of the classic Sonic games? Some tubes just seem to propel you to a certain speed, unless my memory is fuzzy.

Not in the Genesis games, no. Sonic CD does it, but Sonic CD is also kind of janky compared to the Genesis games and that's one of the many reasons.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Sega really thinks their more recent Sonic output is better, more important, and more relevant than their older, pre-Dreamcast output, don't they?

Somehow, I think they missed the entire point of the game being called 'Sonic Generations' in the first place.

Well, it's seeming that way.

Only thing that gives me hope is seeing classic's gameplay in City escape. It actually looks fun.

Mega Drive? (Laughter) No. For the PS360 we wanted to go with systems of more recent memory. So we are more focused on levels from the Dreamcast and GameCube.

I will kill that man.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I'm almost expecting his next revelation to be this
The sad part is, I wouldn't even be surprised.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Catalix said:
Iizuka: (Laughter)
Not nearly as amusing as Iwata. :(

At least Iwata takes time out to interview everyone on development teams, and hangs out with Itoi every now and then. What has Iizuka done with Naka, or anyone else on his team, for that matter? (I know Iwata =/= Iizuka, but at least try to give us some insight into the dev process).

Professor Beef said:
I'm picturing Homer as Iizuka, going back in time with his toaster and shattering the Game Gear and all of its games.
Perfect.

Imaginary said:
It's terrible that I could see that happening. Wouldn't it be funny if that was the basic premise of Sonic Generations until someone pushed for the Genesis levels to be in it?

Combichristoffersen

TheCongressman1 said:
I will kill that man.

Catalix said:
The sad part is, I wouldn't even be surprised.

Dark Schala said:
It's terrible that I could see that happening. Wouldn't it be funny if that was the basic premise of Sonic Generations until someone pushed for the Genesis levels to be in it?

'Sega are proud to announce that we are already hard at work on giving our fans what they have been asking for; a sequel to Sonic Generations, this time dedicated to everyone's favourite anti-hero, Shadow the Hedgehog. Shadow Generations will be a launch title for the Wii U, with additional versions for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo 3DS to follow. The Wii U version will allow the player to use the Wii U controller's screen to keep track of vital statistics, like how much ammunition Shadow has left for his dual Uzis, how much fuel his motorcycle has left, or the distance left until you find the computer room.

Shadow Generations will be available summer 2012'.

;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lijik said:
Naka and Iizuka have had beers together.
I would've loved a translated transcript of that... :/

Seems like they're going to be at Summer of Sonic next week together too. Seems like Jun Senoue will also be joining the party.

I wonder if it'll be like Sonic Boom, cake and all. :lol

'Sega are proud to announce that we are already hard at work on giving our fans what they have been asking for; a sequel to Sonic Generations, this time dedicated to everyone's favourite anti-hero, Shadow the Hedgehog. Shadow Generations will be a launch title for the Wii U, with additional versions for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo 3DS to follow. The Wii U version will allow the player to use the Wii U controller's screen to keep track of vital statistics, like how much ammunition Shadow has left for his dual Uzis, how much fuel his motorcycle has left, or the distance left until you find the computer room.

;_;
But no feature to help me find that DAMN 4th chaos emerald? Sega are dropping the ball with this one

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

;_;
...with the ending theme by Linkin Park. And Vector will be your Navi-like sidekick, fully voiced, speaking every five minutes if you can't remember where the computer room is. (Though I have heard rumours that Charmy might take over this role after the game's halfway point).

EXCLUSIVE FIRST SCREEN from the upcoming teaser trailer!

lbTAm.png

(Credit goes to Totobeni)

JonCha said:
One thing I didn't get is why there are no Special Stages in the HD games. Seemed really odd.
They probably haven't shown them off yet since we just know about two zones already. I can't think of Sonic Generations lacking them given that they're generally expected, though stranger things have happened.

TheOGB

Banned
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
If the butchered remixed version of the Doomsday Zone is anything to go by, they'd probably screw up that track, too.
Hey

stop speaking realistically, you're ruining it

Dark Schala said:
EXCLUSIVE FIRST SCREEN from the upcoming teaser trailer!

http://i.imgur.com/lbTAm.png[IMG]
(Credit goes to Totobeni)[/QUOTE]
Screen is fake

[spoiler]He's smiling[/spoiler]

I'd rather have Vector Generations to be honest. Modern Vector with his ridiculous voice, and Classic Sonic running through levels with a handcuffed Knuckles flopping around behind him.

Catalix

JonCha said:
One thing I didn't get is why there are no Special Stages in the HD games. Seemed really odd.
It really is strange, considering Bonus Stages would be a good way to pad the game and add replay value.

Dark Schala said:
They probably haven't shown them off yet since we just know about two zones already. I can't think of Sonic Generations lacking them given that they're generally expected, though stranger things have happened.
I believe Patrick Riley confirmed on Gamespot that there won't be any Bonus Stages in the HD versions, but there will be "some other content" that'll take their place. Only the 3DS version gets Bonus Stages.

TheOGB

Banned
Gravijah said:
Is red and black the lamest color combination ever?
heybuddyfuckyou.jpg
my favorite color combo >:[

Green Scar said:
I'd rather have Vector Generations to be honest. Modern Vector with his ridiculous voice, and Classic Sonic running through levels with a handcuffed Knuckles flopping around behind him.
That's hilarious, but I was actually thinking cool, classic Vector with the boss-ass walk animation

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lucky Number Seven Force said:

I'm too lazy to bother with Modern.
It's like Classic Shadow is disgusted to see what he has become in the future. Can't blame the guy.

I'd take a Vector Generations, if this is to be included (ie: his fancy walk).

Catalix said:
I believe Patrick Riley confirmed on Gamespot that there won't be any Bonus Stages in the HD versions, but there will be "some other content" that'll take their place. Only the version 3DS gets Bonus Stages.
That's a strange decision to make...

TheOGB said:
That's hilarious, but I was actually thinking cool, classic Vector with the boss-ass walk animation

I meant to type Classic Vector, not Classic Sonic. :lol

Also, yup, Vector walk animation is amazing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So apparently Ruby journeyed to the depths of the SEGA forums to chat about Sonic Generations at E3 (er, the playable demo, not the hilarity last Wednesday).

Regarding the control scheme and feel:
RubyEclipse on the SEGA forums said:
The demo for next-gen [Sonic Generations PS360] is fairly accurate to what the final game will feel and play like. I was really excited to see what people thought of Green Hill when they got to play it, and Sonic Boom proved beyond any doubt that a ton of fans are really pleased with how it's coming along.

Regarding the rumour in which a QA tester said that Generations 3DS "sucks":
Ruby Eclipse on the SEGA forums said:
I have a feeling this quote is fake. The previewer is welcome to have an opinion (I do hope someone told him how early on the game was!), but someone from SEGA wouldn't say that, especially not a QA lead. Those guys know firsthand how very early games play, and also how much they can improve very quickly.

They'll be much-improved, but I know better now than to promise any specifics until I play them firsthand.
(Thus, perhaps the 3DS Generations game really is 10% done if we take Mr. Webber's word for it. Still not holding my breath for improved quality. Especially after what Iizuka said. *slightly bitter*)

Secondary Source

XLant

Neo Member
0 HP said:
i wish sega would let Treasure do a 2D sonic game. those two have worked together so many times in the past that it seems like it could happen one day if people push for it
Finn-head-nod.gif

I'd like to nominate the way you think for president. Nobody would be better qualified to develop a crazy high speed traditional platforming experience.

Game Gear? (Laughter) No. For the 3DS we wanted to go with systems of more recent memory. So we are more focused on levels from the GBA and DS.
Typical. Next they'll say they skipped Sonic CD for consoles due to having to choose between the original and Spencer Nilsen(USA) soundtracks.

RobbieNick said:
"Set bounce height from monitors and badniks"

I honestly don't understand the complaint on this. Isn't that normal? This sounds like a "it's not perfectly exact to the 16 bit era physics" complaint to me.
Wasn't recreating the 16-bit physics their stated intent? Sonic 1-Knuckles and CD did not have a fixed bounce height, meaning you got more air for each successive strike. It was an exhilarating way to reward skilled players that was unique to this short string of games. It allowed you to bypass large chunks of stage, reach higher terrain, or perfect a speed run...it was most effective in Sonic 1 and CD due to the level design, and in conjunction with the speed shoes gave Sonic insane leaping ability. Of all the elements that was left behind in 1994, I miss it most.

nns3d

XLant said:
Typical. Next they'll say they skipped Sonic CD for consoles due to having to choose between the original and Spencer Nilsen(USA) soundtracks.

Crush 40 performed Sonic Boom at some Sonic convention not too long ago. If that's any indication, we might be seeing some Sonic CD representation.

OMG Aero

Catalix said:
I believe Patrick Riley confirmed on Gamespot that there won't be any Bonus Stages in the HD versions, but there will be "some other content" that'll take their place. Only the 3DS version gets Bonus Stages.
Maybe they are going to do Sonic Simulator stages again.
That could be a good way of recreating more classic stages like Sonic Colours did but without having to generate HD assets for every one.

JonCha

OMG Aero said:
Maybe they are going to do Sonic Simulator stages again.
That could be a good way of recreating more classic stages like Sonic Colours did but without having to generate HD assets for every one.
They need to fix it off so. Man, going off screen and just dying is dumb.

OMG Aero

Dark Schala said:
I find it funny that they don't have Sonic stay in a ball after coming off a ramp but still keep that one part of Green Hill Zone in the game. The part that was made for you to soar into the air as a ball so you could get some of the rings then bounce off a badnik to get some more.

It's like the people who made the stage in this version of Generations didn't actually play Green Hill Zone and just recreated it from screenshots.

Alpha_eX

Seems to have weird instant momentum boosts at points and they need to properly recreate the classic Sonic experience, don't make Sonic come out of the ball when going into the air.

Also, it'd be better if they didn't make Classic Sonic so goofy. Kinda get the feel that he'll be dumbed down so much he won't say anything more than quotes and Modern Sonic will be looking after him. It seems they've literally retarded Classic Sonic.

Top Bottom