• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

For that matter, Sonic also seems to hit the boss a lot. I was getting flashbacks to Sonic 4's final boss, where you're seriously expected to hit it like 20 times before it goes down.

It only serves to drag out the slowed pace of that fight even more because you have to wait 5-10+ seconds between attack loops.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega1991 said:
For that matter, Sonic also seems to hit the boss a lot. I was getting flashbacks to Sonic 4's final boss, where you're seriously expected to hit it like 20 times before it goes down.

It only serves to drag out the slowed pace of that fight even more because you have to wait 5-10+ seconds between attack loops.
Yes. So I guess seems like a pseudo-sequel to Sonic 4, physics, boss fights and all. The music seems like a step-up, though but its instrumentation and flow is quite dissatisfying to my ears. I was expecting better. Much better. I should not have listened to Project Chaos so often.

It makes me wonder how Sonic 4: Episode II's going to be like physics-wise, music-wise and battle-wise. Dimps is still developing that one, right?

I figured that maybe the number of hits necessary to beat the boss was bloated a bit for demo purposes. (Still doesn't excuse the pace of the fight itself, though)

I don't really have much hope for the 3DS version though, especially since it's obviously being rushed (Act 1 is a straight up remake of Green Hill Zone Act 1, and more than half of Act 2 is spent either on rails or or just running in a straight line, and this isn't even getting into the janky looking framerate...)

DeVeAn

Sega1991 said:
Bleh

Not digging this. The song sounds like they took a MIDI from S&K collection and ran it through a generic studio synth and the boss fight itself is a lot of waiting around for attacks to happen so you can eventually get one or two hits off.
In Nintendo Power interview Jun said the classic versions will sound almost the same as he did not want to change them. So yeah pretty much why it sounds that way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
DeVeAn said:
In Nintendo Power interview Jun said the classic versions will sound almost the same as he did not want to change them. So yeah pretty much why it sounds that way.
That doesn't really sound like a good version of the Genesis theme. It's sloppy synth, plain and simple. The 3DS version's intro has too high of a pitch. Then when the theme kicks in, it sounds... weird. It sounds similar, but the synth has a bit of a higher pitch than normal. Actually, it sounds like they're overusing the synth at times and thus sounds in poor man's version of the BGM. Odd, because everything else sounds okay.

Compare:
3DS footage with music
Genesis YM2612 Version

They should get Yuzo Koshiro on it. At least he still knows how to work that chip like a genius, even when he doesn't have access to it (and would use the PC-88 instead, then upgrade it to the DS sound). Ah, dreams unfulfilled.

DeVeAn

Dark Schala said:
That doesn't really sound like a good version of the Genesis theme. It's sloppy synth, plain and simple. The 3DS version's intro has too high of a pitch. Then when the theme kicks in, it sounds... weird. It sounds similar, but the synth has a bit of a higher pitch than normal. Actually, it sounds like they're overusing the synth at times and thus sounds in poor man's version of the BGM. Odd, because everything else sounds okay.

Compare:
3DS footage with music
Genesis YM2612 Version

They should get Yuzo Koshiro on it. At least he still knows how to work that chip like a genius, even when he doesn't have access to it (and would use the PC-88 instead, then upgrade it to the DS sound). Ah, dreams unfulfilled.
I definitely like the original better. Its just the demo MAYBE it will change. I think I could deal with how it sounds now though.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Was this posted? Someone got footage of the Sonic 3 Final Boss in the 3DS version at E3. (With direct feed audio) Doomsday Zone got a remix, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXWMurAdls
The hell have they done to that boss? Not only is the remixed music absolutely dreadful, but it doesn't even go with that boss. His attacks patterns are also nothing like the original and it takes way too many hits to kill.

The worst part though is probably the physics, around 40 seconds in Sonic clearly bounces off of the spikes on Robotnik's robot simply because it was in the invincible animation.

Yet again Dimps prove they should never be permitted near Sonic.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Ugh, disappointing.

Well at least they can say it's not the worst Doomsday remix on a handheld. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teknoman said:
Thats not actually from the game is it? That was horrible...who was responsible for that audio atrocity?
Someone needs to play Sonic Chronicles to fully appreciate the soundtrack
s from other games and feel good that those soundtracks don't sound like the Sonic Chronicles soundtrack.

That track needs to be banished to the depths of hell. Ugh... how someone can take the Sonic 3 Final Boss theme and turn it into that is beyond me. I've heard better Mario Paint arrangements.

Dark Schala said:
Someone needs to play Sonic Chronicles to fully appreciate the soundtrack
s from other games and feel good that those soundtracks don't sound like the Sonic Chronicles soundtrack.

That track needs to be banished to the depths of hell. Ugh... how someone can take the Sonic 3 Final Boss theme and turn it into that is beyond me. I've heard better Mario Paint arrangements.
I seriously cannot remember a single track from that game with the exception of maybe the first zone. I guess I should be thankful.

JonCha

Why don't Sonic Team just ditch Dimps? They only do one type of game, and that's Sonic Rush. Sonic Team should develop it themselves or outsource it to a new developer. Shame it won't happen though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
I seriously cannot remember a single track from that game with the exception of maybe the first zone. I guess I should be thankful.
It's the stuff of nightmares.

qq more said:
Wow. What a shitty boss fight that was. Dimps, never make a Sonic game ever again... please.
Somehow, I highly doubt that'd happen.

Dimps developed my least favourite Tales game. But they did co-develop SSFIV, so I don't know how to feel about them.

Dark Schala said:

Compare:
3DS footage with music
Genesis YM2612 Version

I prefer this "version" of the Doomsday Zone theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqWijqXRp4&feature=related

So apparently this guy says he spoke to a Sega QA lead who admits they know the 3DS version of Generations "sucks" and that they are working diligently to turn that around.

While I am skeptical, it's sort of a throw-away comment in a larger article, so it's not like the site is focusing on it for attention. Whether Sega means it or they can accomplish that goal remains to be seen, but given their track record with this kind of stuff it's safe to assume the worst.

Angry Fork

How does this thread have so many pages? You'd think after all the hate Unleashed got (and Sonic games in general) that the hype would die down eventually. I guess not?

Seda

Angry Fork said:
How does this thread have so many pages? You'd think after all the hate Unleashed got (and Sonic games in general) that the hype would die down eventually. I guess not?

Sonic threads always have tons of pages. And Colors was generally well received.

I usually like Dimps' work (Sonic 4 aside), but yeah, if the first thing you do with a Classic Sonic game is slap on physics people have already told you were broken and bad the last time, when even the console big-brother version seems to be getting it much closer to right, that does seen a little disappointing.

Maybe they really, really had to rush (dur hurr) to have something ready for E3. I just don't want to hear the "We built the levels, we can't go back and drastically change the physics now!" excuse they used with Sonic 4. I understood it there from a development standpoint, but there was no real excuse for it this time.

Teknoman

Angry Fork said:

The console version actually looks good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because Dimps can be terrible at times.

Let's compare again, this time with the Sonic 3 Final Boss battle:
3DS version of the Sonic 3 Final Boss
Genesis version of the Sonic 3 Final Boss

The Genesis boss at least gives the player more to do between hit intervals, and seems faster paced (possibly because the area to battle in was smaller in the Genesis version). Even then, it doesn't seem like you have to land as many hits as the 3DS version in order to destroy it. Also, correct music, etc, etc... I wonder how the Sonic 3 Final Boss theme will sound if it's even in the Sonic Generations games. They have some big shoes to fill.

After what they did to Tales of the Tempest, I can't really see them making a competent portable game by themselves. But at the very least, they had Namco Tales Studio's sound team (...mostly Sakuraba) helping them out, so the music sounded like a Tales soundtrack. Their DBZ stuff isn't too bad. But man, given the quality of games after/before it like Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Hearts, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Graces (all from Namco Tales Studio itself), I truly have to wonder what Dimps was thinking.

What role did Dimps play during the development of Street Fighter IV, out of curiosity?

Angry Fork said:

Few characters have reached such highs only to plummet to the depths Sonic has. A lot of people like to watch the circus.

A lot of the hate Sonic Unleashed got was knee-jerk stuff, though. The Werehog was pretty terrible but still considerably better than some of the junk people turned a blind eye to in "better" games. I would play a Werehog level before ever went fishing as Big the Cat, for instance.

And, man, when Sonic Unleashed did something right, it did it very, very, very right - which is what eventually became the basis for Sonic Colors and now Sonic Generations.

0 HP

i wish sega would let treasure do a 2D sonic game. those two have worked together so many times in the past that it seems like it could happen one day if people push for it

I just noticed in a video captured from E3 that the tubes in GHZ force you to a speed instead of using sonic's ball physics and gravity, they mess up a spindash so they walk into the tunnel, sonic instantly rolls and hits mach speed out of no where.

for fucks sake sega can't do anything right can they.

So:

Set bounce height from monitors and badniks
Ultra shitty rolling
Forced and instant speed traps (ok some older sonic games did this but not like this!)

I personally want more then just classic sonic in looks, I want him to play like the classics :/

RobbieNick

Diablohead said:
I just noticed in a video captured from E3 that the tubes in GHZ force you to a speed instead of using sonic's ball physics and gravity, they mess up a spindash so they walk into the tunnel, sonic instantly rolls and hits mach speed out of no where.

Yea. I mentioned that before. It's the only instance that happens. Why they designed it like that I'll never know.

I honestly don't understand the complaint on this. Isn't that normal? This sounds like a "it's not perfectly exact to the 16 bit era physics" complaint to me.

Ultra shitty rolling

How is the rolling shitty? I played the game myself and did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

I personally want more then just classic sonic in looks, I want him to play like the classics :/

I've played it. Trust me, he does. Way WAY more than Sonic 4 ever did.

Now folks, some bad news. http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/06/e3-sonic-generations-qa-with-takashi-iizuka/

Is if things for the 3DS version weren't looking bad enough, no Game Gear levels for 3DS has been confirmed by Iizuka himself. Just GBA and DS levels it seems. XP

The 3DS version is a celebration of Sonic’s portable history. As such it only makes sense that we keep that history on a portable system.

Game Gear? (Laughter) No. For the 3DS we wanted to go with systems of more recent memory. So we are more focused on levels from the GBA and DS.

Tripping over yourself a bit there Iizuka

RobbieNick, quick question about the console version of the game; how noticeable are supposed 'automatic' sections in the classic stages? I read a complaint (probably in this thread now that I think about it) about them and how apparently some sections such as when Sonic changes perspective near the beginning of Green Hill act 1 control themselves in one impression, yet haven't heard of any similar complaints in other impressions. Is this actually true?

nns3d

RobbieNick said:
Is if things for the 3DS version weren't looking bad enough, no Game Gear levels for 3DS has been confirmed by Iizuka himself. Just GBA and DS levels it seems. XP

tumblr_liakyfs62R1qbocqg.gif

Hyped lowered accordingly (as if it could get any lower).

RobbieNick said:
Well, shit. The only level that was even remotely interesting between the Advance and Rush games was Music Plant. I'm definitely passing on the 3DS version now.

Game Gear? (Laughter) No. For the 3DS we wanted to go with systems of more recent memory. So we are more focused on levels from the GBA and DS.

Why did you want to do that?

Might as well call it Sonic Generations[minus the first 8 years because those don't count]

3DS version just completely failed before release! the only classic out of those more recient games is most likely sonic advance 1, rush is still this gen and is also what started giving us all that boost gameplay ick.

RobbieNick said:
Yea. I mentioned that before. It's the only instance that happens. Why they designed it like that I'll never know.

I honestly don't understand the complaint on this. Isn't that normal? This sounds like a "it's not perfectly exact to the 16 bit era physics" complaint to me.

How is the rolling shitty? I played the game myself and did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

I've played it. Trust me, he does. Way WAY more than Sonic 4 ever did.
I have been hearing mixed things, of course a demo is the best answer but this is sega here, they are still not seeing sonic correctly.

Blueblur1

Set bounce height, rolling that doesn't build up momentum and throw away 3DS version of the game are all very upsetting. Maybe next time you'll get it right, Sega. Keep trying.

(Some of us are kind of asking for a lot but that's what you get when you make these promises to be just like the classics.)

Edit: The fixed speed segments is one of the worst offenders (they were all over the place in Sonic 4).

Alex Dee

Neo Member
God, the sound of pressing start on the title screen or at the end of an act is just painful. Just hits that uncomfortable pitch where it rattles in the ear.

RobbieNick

Astrosanity said:
Tripping over yourself a bit there Iizuka

RobbieNick, quick question about the console version of the game; how noticeable are supposed 'automatic' sections in the classic stages? I read a complaint (probably in this thread now that I think about it) about them and how apparently some sections such as when Sonic changes perspective near the beginning of Green Hill act 1 control themselves in one impression, yet haven't heard of any similar complaints in other impressions. Is this actually true?

The only part that I noticed was automatic was the same as everyone else and that's rolling into the tubes.

One thing I really liked that they did with modern now, is they got rid of the QTE's in the long jumps. You don't even rapidly tap "A" like in Colors. Instead, while you're in a long jump, you can choose to tap the joystick around for Sonic to do some mid-air tricks. It's totally optional and adds to your overall score and boost. Also, while most videos only show this during the part with the giant Chomper chasing you, there's 3-4 instances in that level alone to do tricks.

Afrocentric-Asian said:

LOL Awesome response.

It's ridiculous. I know most Sonic GG games were ports, but there's still Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble. The way he reacted kinda offended me. It was like "Game Gear?! HA!"

Teknoman

Diablohead said:

for fucks sake sega can't do anything right can they.

So:

Ultra shitty rolling
Forced and instant speed traps (ok some older sonic games did this but not like this!)

Arent there sections like that in one of the classic Sonic games? Some tubes just seem to propel you to a certain speed, unless my memory is fuzzy.

SykoTech

Wow at the snubbing of the Game Gear games. Isn't Generations suppose to be a celebration of Sonic's entire history? How does just taking levels "from recent memory" make any sense in that regard?

Oh well, not like I was planning on getting the 3DS version anyway given the way it's looking.

RobbieNick

Teknoman said:
Arent there sections like that in one of the classic Sonic games? Some tubes just seem to propel you to a certain speed, unless my memory is fuzzy.

Yes, but here it's the difference between being propelled and shot out of a cannon. You can crawl to the tube but as soon as you touch it, instant super speed.

Chao

That's why I don't bother buying portable Sonic games. They clearly don't give a fuck and put minimal effort on their production. They are an afterthought for every major console game release, like they need a portable version of the game just in case the other one bombs.
Fuck this people and their business decisions.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
RobbieNick said:
Now folks, some bad news. http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/06/e3-sonic-generations-qa-with-takashi-iizuka/

... ... ... It's probably because I'm extremely tired, but words cannot express how much rage/annoyance I am trying to contain right now. I LIKED the Game Gear games, even if some of them were maddening. "Game Gear? (Laughter) No. For the 3DS we wanted to go with systems of more recent memory. So we are more focused on levels from the GBA and DS."

kVajk.gif

It's the way he shoved them aside that's bothering me. At least have the intelligence to put Sunset Park Act 3 in there. And to ignore 8 years of previous handheld games for your anniversary game which should be encompassing Sonic's history, well that's just silly... There's nothing in there saying that the dev team can't improve the levels (though this is Dimps we're talking about here). It's just really disappointing.

nns3d

Professor Beef said:
I dunno. Not that I'm trying to give them a free pass here, but can anyone really say that they liked the Game Gear games?

Well... for me the GG games were serviceable (Sonic 1 & 2 anyway). Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble were pretty awesome. Plus this is supposed to be a celebration of 20 years of Sonic. If they're gonna celebrate the handheld history, they can't just put the GG games to the side and act like they don't exist.

Sega really thinks their more recent Sonic output is better, more important, and more relevant than their older, pre-Dreamcast output, don't they?

Somehow, I think they missed the entire point of the game being called 'Sonic Generations' in the first place.

Top Bottom