• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania on switch is still broken and needs to be fixed.

bobawesome

The home menu wasn't working at all earlier. I restarted the Switch and after getting into a game and pressing the home menu again it took me to the home menu two or three minutes later.

You are aware that those game weren't exactly bug free and if they had a game breaking bug, then tough luck you were stuck with them.
You are aware that 99% of games back then were much more rigorously tested before release and were fine right out of the box, right? Any bugs were minor at best. A far cry from today where you're essentially getting a beta test on a disc. Even patching is no guarantee of eliminating all bugs nowadays. I much prefer the old days where companies had to make sure their games worked properly before they were put on a cart or pressed to a disc.

The one exception I can remember is that one WrestleMania game for the original Xbox. A patch was pushed through, but the company still had to press new fixed copies and put them out on shelves because a lot less people had their systems online. That would never happen today.

topplehat

I understand being upset at a buggy/broken game that you've purchased, but the single problem that Sonic Mania on Switch is not "game breaking" by any means. It's annoying for sure, but this hyperbole helps nobody.

OmegaFax

The game has its share of bugs but it's far from broken. You can play it from beginning to end. There are a lot of quirks and bugs, sure, but it isn't showstopping.

The home button issue is really bizarre because it's the only game I've played on Switch so far that is unresponsive to pressing it. It's annoying.

Christian Whitehead "Taxman" has been silent on Twitter since shortly after the PC version came out. He came on the boards here, Reddit, and Twitter to address Denuvo but that's it.

I know there's QA for each platform + different regions but I wonder if Tantalus Media is a bottleneck. Wouldn't any changes made to the PC/X1/PS4 versions need to be sent to Tantalus in order to integrate the changes into the Switch game? Has Switch support been passed back to the original developers? or is Tantalus Media under a contract for support until the year's end? How does support work for stuff like this?

RagnarokX

Broken is a stretch. The game plays and runs fine. The power and home buttons lag a bit every so often for me, but it's hardly something I'd call broken. It's more of an inconvenience. We're getting a patch at some point if I'm not mistaken too
The home menu got stuck one time where it wouldnt register inputs at all and the only way to exit the game was to do a hard reset of the system by holding down the power button

13ruce

Banned
I have played 50 hours or so in total and only had that happening to me a few times at most.

Hopefully it's in the upcoming patch tho would be nice to have no few second delay in the home and sleepmode button presses and sometimes crashes/frozen.

You are aware that 99% of games back then were much more rigorously tested before release and were fine right out of the box, right? Any bugs were minor at best. A far cry from today where you're essentially getting a beta test on a disc. Even patching is no guarantee of eliminating all bugs nowadays. I much prefer the old days where companies had to make sure their games worked properly before they were put on a cart or pressed to a disc.

The one exception I can remember is that one WrestleMania game for the original Xbox. A patch was pushed through, but the company still had to press new fixed copies and put them out on shelves because a lot less people had their systems online. That would never happen today.

Lol. Okay. Sure.

I guess that's why if you look up sonic speed runs you see them breaking the game in every level by gltching through walls and skipping over boss areas. Or Mario speed runs where people jump off of walls and through them.

Lol. Okay. Sure.

I guess that's why if you look up sonic speed runs you see them breaking the game in every level by gltching through walls and skipping over boss areas. Or Mario speed runs where people jump off of walls and through them.
Glitches that took 20 years and emulators to discover. Not quite the same thing. What you're describing was NOT common knowledge back when those games were released.

Oh take off your rose tinted glasses. Games back then had their own bugs and glitches, people just rolled with them more.
Put on regular glasses and re-read my original post - I acknowledged minor bugs in old games. That's still a massive difference from the glorified beta tests on discs we get now for physical releases, because "we'll just patch it later." It's one of the things I hate most about this gen. :(

Mael

Oh take off your rose tinted glasses. Games back then had their own bugs and glitches, people just rolled with them more.

Yeah just look up what happened when Skyward Sword had a gamebreaking bug or Twilight Princess.
Then again if the game was QAd by Nintendo's usual cert people they be slipping.
No way that shit would have flown 10 years ago.

nynt9

I understand being upset at a buggy/broken game that you've purchased, but the single problem that Sonic Mania on Switch is not "game breaking" by any means. It's annoying for sure, but this hyperbole helps nobody.

The game has its share of bugs but it's far from broken. You can play it from beginning to end. There are a lot of quirks and bugs, sure, but it isn't showstopping.

The home button issue is really bizarre because it's the only game I've played on Switch so far that is unresponsive to pressing it. It's annoying.

Christian Whitehead "Taxman" has been silent on Twitter since shortly after the PC version came out. He came on the boards here, Reddit, and Twitter to address Denuvo but that's it.

I know there's QA for each platform + different regions but I wonder if Tantalus Media is a bottleneck. Wouldn't any changes made to the PC/X1/PS4 versions need to be sent to Tantalus in order to integrate the changes into the Switch game? Has Switch support been passed back to the original developers? or is Tantalus Media under a contract for support until the year's end? How does support work for stuff like this?

Actually there's a particular game breaking bug. Sometimes if you beat the boss of chemical plant zone the game will just lock up and force you to reboot and restart the entire zone.

Has the X1/PS4 vers been patched? I thought only the PC ver has been patched.

I'm just guessing right now they are going to iron out all the bugs on the PC ver and once that's settled they will begin porting the (one and only) patch with the separate Super Transformation button as well as all the PC bug fixes across all the consoles.

Come to think of it, will they reset the Time Attack leaderboards with the patch? I recall Titanic Monarch Act 2 has a bug on Time Attack (on Switch, i'm guessing PS4/X1 also has the same , its not on the PC vers) where on the bottom left path, if you take the secret exit with the electric shield the stage counts as complete, you don't have to do the other 3 paths.

The sleep / home menu delay was mildly annoying, but a world away from being "broken". Heck, it more-or-less matches the behavior on the Wii U or old 3DS for almost every game.

And don't get be wrong, it was mildly annoying on the 3DS too, but "broken"... I can't imagine feeling like I wasted money on an otherwise good game because it takes a few extra seconds to get to the home menu.

WillyFive

The sleep / home menu delay was mildly annoying, but a world away from being "broken". Heck, it more-or-less matches the behavior on the Wii U or old 3DS for almost every game.

And don't get be wrong, it was mildly annoying on the 3DS too, but "broken"... I can't imagine feeling like I wasted money on an otherwise good game because it takes a few extra seconds to get to the home menu.

The 3DS menu lag and the lag from Sonic Mania on Switch are two very different leagues from each other.

The 3DS menu lag and the lag from Sonic Mania on Switch are two very different leagues from each other.

Is it worse for some people than others? For me it was maybe a six second delay. I've experienced much worse on the old 3DS.

I still stand by the fact that this is inarguably a league away from "broken", unless it's taking a full 60 seconds or something.

Broken is a stretch. The game plays and runs fine. The power and home buttons lag a bit every so often for me, but it's hardly something I'd call broken. It's more of an inconvenience. We're getting a patch at some point if I'm not mistaken too

^^^This. It's a big inconvenience but the game is hardly broken.

WillyFive

Is it worse for some people than others? For me it was maybe a six second delay. I've experienced much worse on the old 3DS.

I still stand by the fact that this is inarguably a league away from "broken", unless it's taking a full 60 seconds or something.

The difference between a six second lag to open up the menu on 3DS is that you still have confirmation that the 3DS is functioning, since the gameplay will pause, the sound will lower, and the animation for the menu will show up, even if it takes six seconds. It's just lag.

However, on Switch, if you press the home button, the game still plays like normal, nothing changes visually or with sound, it's like you never pressed the button. The menu does show up a few seconds later, but you were not given an indication that the system responded to your command until that happened. What's even worse when you use the power button or it's menu; it still gives no response when you press it until seconds later, but because it's menu works differently than the main Switch OS menu, if you continue to play Sonic Mania while waiting for the power menu to show up, the menu will show up over the game but you will not be able to choose anything on the menu, since you are still controlling Sonic under it. That is straight up literally broken.

Megatron

Yeah, I definitely have that lag issue. Also my game completely closed on me in the middle of an act 2 level, so no save points of course....

Vidiot

Is there a specific reason why this is so bad for some people but only a bit laggy for others? Mine for example lags a bit when going to the home screen but only for a few seconds at most.

Your mistake is to press the home menu button, you should just keep playing.
I think patches take a while to get through Nintendo cert, I'm sure it fixes will turn up in a week or two.

However, on Switch, if you press the home button, the game still plays like normal, nothing changes visually or with sound, it's like you never pressed the button. The menu does show up a few seconds later, but you were not given an indication that the system responded to your command until that happened.

Yeah, it's mildly confusing. I get it. However, once you know that the quirk exists, I'm not sure what the problem is. Just press the button and wait.

However, What's even worse when you use the power button or it's menu; it still gives no response when you press it until seconds later, but because it's menu works differently than the main Switch OS menu, if you continue to play Sonic Mania while waiting for the power menu to show up, the menu will show up over the game but you will not be able to choose anything on the menu, since you are still controlling Sonic under it. That is straight up literally broken.

Okay, that's crappy—but also an edge case, and extremely easy to work around by going to the home menu before powering off. Why are you fully shutting down the Switch to begin with? The console is designed to remain in sleep mode.

I'm not saying that these things aren't mildly annoying, but if it's making you somehow regret your purchase, you must have not liked the game much to begin with.

LordKasual

Banned
I experienced multiple crash-to-home bugs and just general quirks with Sonic Mania on switch.

honestly it just made the game feel more genuine lol

Ludist210

Calling it broken is a stretch. I've beaten it three times on the Switch (Sonic & Tails, Knuckles, and Knuckles & Knuckles) and I've only ever had it glitch on me once, and I was in debug mode and warped myself somewhere I shouldn't have been. So that's on me.

Yes, delay in the buttons is a thing (at times) and it stinks when it happens, but it's not a game-breaker. If it's really delayed, pause the game while you're waiting for the home screen to pop up.

Christian Whitehead is already working on a fix. Sometimes these things take time...and the game is fully playable as it is.

Robin64

Okey dokey

SmrZM4U.png

-shadow-

Finally, the last time I played it the game crashed and it just refused to open the Home Menu multiple times. Here's hoping it's fully fixed!

Jaymageck

I mean sure, but it's really minor. This title makes it sound like the game is broken. It's awesome on the Switch.

EDIT: Oh, it's getting fixed? Cool.

I hope this fix the framerate in the Special Stages. Nothing game-breaking but a bit annoying. Glad they fix the home button problem on Switch :)

Is there a specific reason why this is so bad for some people but only a bit laggy for others? Mine for example lags a bit when going to the home screen but only for a few seconds at most.

Same here. Maybe it has something to do with how many items you have on your home menu? I have just 2 games installed on my switch and own 5 altogether. If the menu is anything like the old PS3 menu, the more stuff you had installed the longer it took to load.

Griss

The super sonic issue was a much bigger one to me. Made cleared files practically worthless. Glad that's fixed.

Top Bottom