• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

ckaneo

So I know that the UFO stages for the Emralds have to all be done in one go but how about the blue orbs? Is progress shared across all files?

Emeralds dont have to be done in one go. You can stage select after beating the game and the emeralds are still there.

Blue Spheres save for all save files. A God send.

ckaneo

I still prefer
S3's Hydrocity, had a faster flow and less annoying water sections. Wish they recycled more vanilla S3 stages though. They really came through with the volcano area though, huge improvement over the original.

I hate water levels and they decided to double down on water

Finalizer

I know it's been said plenty of times before, but
that Metal Sonic battle music, jaysus

Since the new stuff in Hydrocity is pretty slow-paced, it would feel weird to put it in Act 2 behind the blazing fast classic layout imo.

Makes sense. Just still funny to see it as the one zone to break the mold.

I didn't play Sonic 3, so it's 100% new to me :)

dafuq you doing here then, go play that shit nerd

I'm sensing these are passionate topics of debate among Sonic fans!

don't underestimate our, uh, passion, yeah let's go with that

Vidiot

Was the Hydrocity Act 1 boss in a previous game? I thought it was hilarious.

Yeah, it's basically reversed in Mania.

There were some bosses that weren't that great but I thought most in Mania were fantastic. Dont really get the complaint about the boss fights some people have.

Sacul64GC

Banned
Question about TMZ.
So the Titanic Monarch Boss, he warps you to the Hard boiled heavies. I have only seen the first 2 before killing him and you can hurt them. Has anyone tried killing the HBH in that boss before fighting Eggman?

Sayad

There's an air supply or bubble like every other screen. It's a very low-pressure water level.
But also very slow paced water sections. In the original, bubbles were far between but you progressed way faster, by just moving forward you either left water or ran into another bubble before drowning, here they're close to each others but fail an under water platforming section once or twice and you need to get back and wait for the bubble before the next attempt...
It's still one of my favorite stages in the game though, that music is too good and I'm heavily based toward S3. :)

I feel like some of the later stages are too large and samey for their own good, imo, if the player can't tell where in the level they are without moving much, then you might be recycling assets and designs way too much. They did a great job avoiding that early on, but some of the longer later stages are just ughh!!

ZeroD

Just finished with Sonic only all emeralds. Last boss was incredibly easy, music was great though but it felt slightly anticlimactic.

Overall awesome game though, looking forward to going through with Tails and Knuckles!

Ha, now that Mania's made me a fan, I do kinda want to check out the previous ones. Mainly only played Sonic 1 in the past.
Sonic 2 is similar in quality to Mania.

S3&K is better, but harder to play legitimately.

S3&K is the best 2D platformer ever made

Sayad

One more vote for S3&K. :D

I think Mania is a better game than S3&K.

Yeah, I said it.
It's not really a controversial opinion, it does improve in a lot of places, has way more fanservice and the best emerald bonus stages in the series. A very close second for me.

IrishNinja

okay, so: blue sphere stages, right

are these for chaos emeralds or what? im in green hill zone act 2 and only have 2 so far, failed at like 3 despite loving these years go, ugh

i know ive prolly got time but still - i like how every one of them feels like a different stage entirely too, even if some are cheeeeeap

I really wish i could see why people are having problems with this boss. Dont think a single attack is difficult to avoid.
To me, it felt like he has some attacks during the running sections that are just unavoidable. Really a low point for me. I concede that I was probably doing something wrong. I asked earlier but I still don't know the proper way to deal with the last part, even though I eventually beat him.

are these for chaos emeralds or what? im in green hill zone act 2 and only have 2 so far, failed at like 3 despite loving these years go, ugh

i know ive prolly got time but still - i like how every one of them feels like a different stage entirely too, even if some are cheeeeeap

Blue Sphere stages are only for unlocking extra modes like "& Knuckles" and abilities for Sonic. They all can only be played in a NoSave run however, so unless you want those two trophies then you can ignore them.
Me thinks he's on the RIGHT side of history.

I mean you'd know all about history since your music taste is stuck in the past

ZeroD

Nah the.blue spheres are for medals for extras. Emeralds are Horton from the big 3D floating rings in the stages

History is written by the victor, so there's no way the Sonic fanbase can tell me how to live.

Read my lips, pal

hy-drah-city

ro-bot-nik

Also, Sonic 3 spite is still the GOAT

fight me

I'll concede the point about the Sonic 3 sprite, but even Sega themselves has called it Hydro City.

You lose, amigo

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just want to say I got a good laugh out of the Hydrocity Zone Act 1 boss, so good.

I think so far, this is so close to being better than S3&K, but some of the bosses hold it back. I've got about 4 zones left, so my opinion might change or support my opinion since one or two bosses so far were really annoying.

Hell, the
"hit a mini robo-Sonic to hit Metal Sonic'
part of the Stardust Speedway Act 2's boss might be one of the most annoying bosses in a classic Sonic, right next to the pinball boss from Sonic CD, all because
it feels so random as to if I make the shot or not, especially with Tails screwing me up half the time

Granted, I'm sure someone will provide footage showing the easy way of defeating said boss that'll remove the majority of the frustration I have with that boss.

....also, all the TMZ talk keeps making me think of the website instead of an actual level.

IrishNinja

Blue Sphere stages are only for unlocking extra modes like "& Knuckles" and abilities for Sonic. They all can only be played in a NoSave run however, so unless you want those two trophies then you can ignore them.

Nah the.blue spheres are for medals for extras. Emeralds are Horton from the big 3D floating rings in the stages

ahhh okay, so i'm gonna play & enjoy them but not sweat them, cool. guess ill find more emeralds later - im in chemical plant zone now, meaning i clearly missed all the ones in green hill...ughhh

also playing on switch so trophies be damned here!

ckaneo

To me, it felt like he has some attacks during the running sections that are just unavoidable. Really a low point for me. I concede that I was probably doing something wrong. I asked earlier but I still don't know the proper way to deal with the last part, even though I eventually beat him.

His attack is dependent on the sound of his charge up, but without that you can react to everything he does. Thought it was a highlight myself.

Sega's also making Sonic Forces

Would you put your faith in anyone making such a game?

I thought not, buddy
Ima name my OC "Net_Wrecker" out of spite in Forces you...MARK
ahhh okay, so i'm gonna play & enjoy them but not sweat them, cool. guess ill find more emeralds later - im in chemical plant zone now, meaning i clearly missed all the ones in green hill...ughhh

also playing on switch so trophies be damned here!
fwiw I was only able to find 3 big rings in both acts of GHZ combined

I think Mania is a better game than S3&K.

Yeah, I said it.

I'd put Mania ahead on all counts other than a cohesive presentation. S3&K's levels feel like parts of a greater whole that form Sonic's journey across the island, whereas many Mania levels feel strung together almost randomly with no logic to tie them together. But yeah, animations, music, level design, features, you name it. Mania is king for me.

GenericUser

Question: do the yellow special stage rings come back once you completed the game and replay the stages? I mean when you use the ring, finish the stage and decide to play it again, will the rings respawn?

FinalAres

I'd put Mania ahead on all counts other than a cohesive presentation. S3&K's levels feel like parts of a greater whole that form Sonic's journey across the island, whereas many Mania levels feel strung together almost randomly with no logic to tie them together. But yeah, animations, music, level design, features, you name it. Mania is king for me.
Which is why a true Sonic 4 by this team with all bee levels could be even better! Somehow.

The logic is *ruby time distortion sound*

qko

I'm on
Battery Zone
and I must say for someone who has never been a big fan of Sonic games, I do find myself chugging along and finishing level after level. I just might give the Genesis games a shot again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles for the first time(using the Sonic 3 Complete mod on Steam) and it is getting real difficult to decide which game overall I prefer.

Mania obviously is a smoother playing experience with lots of notable technical leaps in animation and traversal variety. But S3&K is REAL goddamn good. Hard to believe I owned these in the 90's and barely touched them. (I burned out on Sonic hard after really disliking CD)

I do think Hydrocity is far better in Sonic 3, while the Mania version of Flying Battery is the superior layout, just comparing a couple stages ripped in both games. Also, the blue sphere stages are actually really easy in S3(I got all chaos emeralds from them by world 3).

Ima name my OC "Net_Wrecker" out of spite in Forces you...MARK

Af17r7V.gif

Now hold on a minute, Beef. Let's not do something we'll all regret later

Top Bottom