• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

I like Chemical Plant, it's a nostalgia trip and it's fun to blast through, but I was surprised they didn't do anything to change that part on the main path where the liquid comes up, you have to jump the blocks quickly to not drown (but not get crushed by them either), then jump two moving platforms AND navigate a new on-off platform or you get dropped back to the part before the blocks again. It's Sonic 4-esque level design and it screws with Sonic 2's difficulty curve (and now Sonic Mania's as well).

You do know Sonic 2 has a secret to bypass the blocks section right? You probably do, you did say you were talking about the main path. Still, i think a lot of people dash past this one!
seJ1P8d.png

Full map on Sonic Zone 0
I think you can skip the section in Mania as well, although the bit above has changed. I have to go back to CPZ and explore all the new routes (thankfully you can actually choose the direction the pipes shoot you now, the biggest improvement of all!)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Did they change the boss everyone's complaining about in the pc port? Knuckles just climbs up when you jump near the edge of the platforms for me. It honestly felt a harder fight with Sonic.

Shadio

I think you can skip the section in Mania as well, although the bit above has changed. I have to go back to CPZ and explore all the new routes (thankfully you can actually choose the direction the pipes shoot you now, the biggest improvement of all!)

If you end up in the block area and you're struggling to get through it, you can use the slopes outside to skip the whole thing. It works on both 2 and Mania

xpXw3KZ.gif

VariantX

If you end up in the block area and you're struggling to get through it, you can use the slopes outside to skip the whole thing. It works on both 2 and Mania

xpXw3KZ.gif

Once you get a feel for how the physics work and a solid knowledge of the level layout, you can pretty much guess where you can skip portions of the level and be right 90% of the time.

jholmes

You do know Sonic 2 has a secret to bypass the blocks section right? You probably do, you did say you were talking about the main path. Still, i think a lot of people dash past this one!
seJ1P8d.png

Full map on Sonic Zone 0

Indeed I do and I really enjoy the stage, I just think having it so early because of that one sequence messes with the difficulty curve. But I get it, second stage of the second Sonic game and one of the truly iconic settings from the series. Of course it's the second stage.

Not at all. With a little practice, you'll find that these special stages are the easiest in the entire series.

As for the fifth emerald, I recommend avoiding going mach 3 and just concentrate on grabbing rings while keeping pace with the UFO. There's a shortcut where you can find two 10 ring capsules and a mach-up capsule suspended in mid air. Try to master grabbing those.

At the very beginning, ignore rings that aren't already in your path and grab every single blue orb. You should get a Mach level up right before the split path with the free Mach Up power up. If you get that one immediately then you have a sudden major speed boost before the ufo has had a chance to gain much ground on you. If you play it smart with your corners and jumps, you can catch him before the first lap is done.

Brb, gotta go back to working on the 6th emerald :/

Oh geez. What to do.

I was figuring that booster near the end of the circuit might be critical but I've yet to pull off that jump. Better get back at it!

Ponchito

Hi. How the helll do you beat that asshole of a boss that is
Oil Stage octopus thing
its driving me insane. Any tips?

sheaaaa

Oil Stage octopus thing

Try to get a flame shield, it'll make the fight trivial unless you get fucked by getting caught under a platform as it descends.

It's a really really shitty fight but a flame shield will help things greatly.

Chemical Plant Zone is such a fun level. I remember always struggling with this until my playthrough during university. PLaying it in Mania brought back all the childhood ptsd and fun times with this level.
I especially love the random puyo puyo boss.

Oil Stage octopus thing

It's marginally harder if you playing as knuckles but still has very predictable patterns.

-Don't stand on platforms with tentacles wrapping around them. This is an instant kill if it's pulled under while you're on it. Only two of the platforms are ever pulled down; get to the other one, or the oil space in between.

-The laser can be dodged by crouching unless it's at it's lowest position, in which case you can either jump over the laser and following flames, or jump over the laser cannon on to the other platforms.

-The Tentacle that shoots at you makes a sound effect before it launches. When you hear the sound, jump to one of the other platforms, it will never hit you this way.

TheOGB

Banned
Oil Stage octopus thing
In my experience I've found it's worth it to take your time and prioritize taking out the teantacles shooting projectiles.

Narroo

Anyone else having an issue where the intro/outros run a like 10 FPS? The rest of the game is silky smooth, it's only the videos that are a problem.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic Mania's level design was good enough to convince me to go give Sonic CD another shot.

And immediately ran into a gameruining glitch on Wacky Workbench, but it's the though that counts. Hopefully that's a level that I hope doesn't make it into a Mania 2.

Sonic Mania's level design was good enough to convince me to go give Sonic CD another shot.

And immediately ran into a gameruining glitch on Wacky Workbench, but it's the though that counts. Hopefully that's a level that I hope doesn't make it into a Mania 2.

imo the next game should just be sonic 5. leave it ambiguous to the fans that sonic mania is the true sonic 4, and just continue the series with this style. they proved this is the kind of game the fans have been waiting for, and i'll be damned if I want to play green hill zone 28 when they basically have the green light to just move on and come up with fun new zones.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Wacky Workbench was my favourite level in Sonic CD. Also I loved Sandpolis act 2 in S&K. Metropolis is my favourite zone in Sonic 2. Labyrinth Zone is great.

Wacky Workbench was my favourite level in Sonic CD. Also I loved Sandpolis act 2 in S&K. Metropolis is my favourite zone in Sonic 2. Labyrinth Zone is great.
Metropolis Zone is okay. It's just you're constantly getting ambushed by bullshit enemies.

Anyway, I'm probably 60% done with the game but I must say
that was probably the best fight with Metal Sonic ever.

JackelZXA

I think it would be amazing if they managed to turn WWZ into a fun level. There's something unique there at least, and I think the past version is really fantastic in visuals and music.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Metropolis Zone is okay. It's just you're constantly getting ambushed by bullshit enemies.

Anyway, I'm probably 60% done with the game but I must say
that was probably the best fight with Metal Sonic ever.
I love Metropolis but even I cant defend those green motherfuckers. Especially that conveniently placed one you land on when you're bouncing between the yellow bouncy things up the wall. Everything else about the level is great though.

celsowmbr

Banned
Weeks after the launch I would like to be able to play Mania on my smartphone too. I have two jobs and I have more time to play on the subway/bus than at home.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Weeks after the launch I would like to be able to play Mania on my smartphone too. I have two jobs and I have more time to play on the subway/bus than at home.
If only Sonic Mania was released on some sort of portable video game system. Maybe even one where you can switch between playing at home or on the go at any time. Hmm.

they already did

it's called Chemical Plant Act 2
and it's good
I should be able to put in a button code during Act 2 to have the music turn into a Tee Lopes remix of US Wacky Workbench.

Not true, at no point does the background attempt to give you an epileptic fit, and it doesn't make its transport tubes look like crushing death traps.

Fuck this generator so hard, like who the shit was gonna figure this one out?!

Just beat Sonic Mania with all Chaos Emeralds what a blast that was.
I found the final boss to be a bit of a letdown to be honest. I thought there should of been a bit more epic final boss for Dr.Robotnik him being tethered to the room and having an obvious pattern was a bit meh. I thought the boss battle before the final was a bit more harder. The one that is the Sonic 1 final boss as I felt that had more challenge as there was insta death of being crushed with that one. The other Final Boss for all the Chaos Emeralds was a bit meh too.

Overall I think this is a very good Sonic game I dont think it passes Sonic 3&K but it comes close.

Stopdoor

Honestly the stages in Sonic Rush Adventure are even better than Rush imo. But then wasn't a fan of Colors DS even though it was similar, Wisps really don't do it for me.

Dereck

Is there a map of the blue sphere stages, I have plenty but I seem to have reached a wall and can't complete any one that comes up now.

Top Bottom