• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

I feel like Sonic Mania not only gets what was good about old Sonic, SM outclasses it. The level design, polish and confidence makes the game feel more deliberate than any other sonic game. I love S&K, but Mania is a cut above.

I'm genuinely bummed Up-Down-Left-Right didn't do anything on the title screen.

I mean, I get it. But still.

Whoa. Is that an unlock from the medals?

Nope. Just
hold b + y / square + x / x + a at the title screen and press start
. Be warned though that you will see a list of all zones, so if you feel like you'll get spoiled from that wait till you finish the game.

For the unlocks, do they have to be gold medals from blue sphere, or can it be unlocked with silver?

Any word on how many blue sphere stages there are?

I have unlocked all the ???? options with silver. Not even gonna try for gold, that looks inhumanely difficult. Not sure if gold unlocks something else.

And there's about 30ish I believe.

LordKano

Got all the chaos emeralds and just beat the true last boss. What an amazing moment that was.
Now, how do I unlock all the things in extra that are missing ? With the blue spheres ? How do these works exactly, apparently there are two types of medals ?

AdamisFox

Easy way to get the emeralds after beating the game : go to Press Garden act 1. After a few seconds, you'll get to a rotating cylinder (like those in Launch Base Zone). Go down, go left, there's a giant ring there. Get the emerald, exit, repeat.

Nope. Just
hold b + y / square + x / x + a at the title screen and press start
. Be warned though that you will see a list of all zones, so if you feel like you'll get spoiled from that wait till you finish the game.

Awesome! I loved the debug stuff in the old games. I'll wait until I finished everything, but I'm excited to mess around with it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I feel like Sonic Mania not only gets what was good about old Sonic, SM outclasses it. The level design, polish and confidence makes the game feel more deliberate than any other sonic game. I love S&K, but Mania is a cut above.
Level design in Mania is a little to erratic. Too much going on a lot of the time and many stages simply feel too big. Sonic 3&K struck the perfect balance between expansive explorable levels but with a simple structure. 3&K also is in another league in the storytelling department.

LordKano

Easy way to get the emeralds after beating the game : go to Press Garden act 1. After a few seconds, you'll get to a rotating cylinder (like those in Launch Base Zone). Go down, go left, there's a giant ring there. Get the emerald, exit, repeat.

Easier : go to Chemical Plant Zone Act 1, move forward until you're in a multidirectionnal cube, go to the left tube then just hold right until you're in front of the ring.
Takes 25 seconds if you're quick enough.

Got all the chaos emeralds and just beat the true last boss. What an amazing moment that was.
Now, how do I unlock all the things in extra that are missing ? With the blue spheres ? How do these works exactly, apparently there are two types of medals ?
Beat all the blue sphere stages, silver unlocks all those extras, don't need gold for that.

jman2050

Fuck you
Oil Ocean
Zone, you deserve to
burn

Burn, Mother Fucker, Burn.

Amusing thing I've seen in a couple streams already:

Oil Ocean starts

"Ah man I hated this zone, why did they pick THIS one?"

Oil starts burning all over the place

"OMG BEST ZONE EVER"

Amusing thing I've seen in a couple streams already:

Oil Ocean starts

"Ah man I hated this zone, why did they pick THIS one?"

Oil starts burning all over the place

"OMG BEST ZONE EVER"

And then that somewhat amusing idea is destroyed by the boss being tedious.

Yeah, I have no idea how that level made it in. Luckily the next two are AMAZING before a brilliant finale.

Bought it on PS4 and I'm loving this game. This is easily the best Sonic game in more than 2 decades since Sonic 3 - great job to everyone who had a hand at development and Sega for actually making this possible!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So about the extra blue spheres mode you unlock. Are these ones randomly generated or what? I don't see anything that tracks what you've beaten like the ones in the main game.

Mael

Bought the game on Switch yesterday because I didn't even realize it was 20 bucks!
I'm actually impressed that it's the most fun Sonic game I played since....Sonic 3 & Knuckles?
I don't know, I feel like I forgot Sonic could actually be this fun!

It's impressive how close to a big package this game is.
I would have actually bought it full price I think if I didn't have the innate feeling of revulsion Sonic Team ingrained in me since something like 2006.

Kyle

I have great pride that I got a gold medal on ever blue sphere stage and got all the achievements. I just really wish the PS4 leaderboards weren't messed up so I could actually see how I am doing in time attack.

I felt like I was losing my mind playing Mirage Saloon, just because of... well, the stuff that happens in that zone

I was so SO SOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY. Man.

ryushe

I'm legitimately annoyed that Kotaku spoiled CPZ's boss so frivolously. I mean, I already beat the boss yesterday, so I wasn't spoiled per se but I'm still upset they spoiled it and the game is barely 24 hours old yet. Hell, it's not even released on PC yet.

I felt like I was losing my mind playing Mirage Saloon, just because of... well, the stuff that happens in that zone

I was so SO SOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY. Man.

I was so sure the wanted posters was going to be their one and done reference, but then that boss, goddamn. Having the wanted posters both disarms classic fans and helps contextualize those characters for new players, too. Genius stuff.

NoKisum

Just making sure, if I play the game regularly and beat the game, I can come back, collect the emeralds, and get the true ending right? Or do I need to do everything in one run?

Just making sure, if I play the game regularly and beat the game, I can come back, collect the emeralds, and get the true ending right? Or do I need to do everything in one run?

You can use level select to clean up any emeralds you missed, then replay the final level to see the true ending.

First clear with Sonic & Tails, great game and a real treat to play, some feedback:

-The difficulty progression felt good, it ramped up perfectly with each new zone feeling slightly more challenging then the last. I completed the game with only one emerald missing and could not find any special zone rings in the final areas, either super well hidden or there are none.

-Drop dash is superb and such a nice skill to have, I prefer it over the insta shield and in most cases did not need to use spindash because drop dash did it's job perfectly.

-On the title screen leave it idle to watch the animation, if you watch it a second time the soundtrack is different and uses some classic sound effect samples, maybe this was the music before the final release.

Now for some bugs:

-One of the blue sphere bonus stages has two extra orbs in it, or the total count is two less then needed, either way it still clears fine but you don't have to get all the orbs.

-My first time fighting
metal sonic
he did not dock on the first phase and I had to avoid his attacks for a good minute before he finally did, might be because I managed to jump over and past the first phase area as sonic going so fast.

-the fmv on the switch version all plays with a green pixel frame around the video file, looks a bit sloppy and much easier to see on the ending video because it has a black frame.

-not a bug but the very final zone is way too big, probably the worst act in the entire game even though it was still fun, just borderline too long with a lot of places where you can die easily, the yellow spinning platforms are curved however they crush you like they are square, there's also an area which looks like you can go under a platform but really there's INVISIBLE walls stopping you, come on now just place a real wall there or allow me to enter that space.

Not

Banned
I really, really am considering dropping 20 dollars today for the Switch version. All the good reviews... Knuckles gliding gameplay...

God. Someone talk me out of it. Hurry.

I really, really am considering dropping 20 dollars today for the Switch version. All the good reviews... Knuckles gliding gameplay...

God. Someone talk me out of it. Hurry.

It's the best Sonic game ever and Knuckles is incredibly fun to play as in this game.

There. Hope I talked you out of it.

I finished it with 1 emerald earlier.
I loved it, and I'd rate it 2>1>Mania>Knuckles>CD>3. I've not memorised the new stage songs yet, but they were cool. My main problem was the fact the bosses felt more like they were from a game by Treasure (they were fun for the most part, but a few were a bit too gimmicky, like, I don't even know what I did to beat the
mini Emerald Hill Robotnik capsule thing
), and the fact it felt more like a mix of S3&K and CD, rather than 1 or 2, so massive levels, and an emphasis on going fast.
Level wise, I wasn't keen on:
Stardust Speedway 1 and 2 (Metal Sonic was cool though)
Press Garden 1
Mirage Saloon 1
Metallic Madness 1 and 2
Titanic Monarch? 2

I know this post is quite negative, but it's quicker to list what I wasn't so keen on.

It gets credit for making
Hydrocity
enjoyable for me though.

Mael

It's the best Sonic game ever and Knuckles is incredibly fun to play as in this game.

There. Hope I talked you out of it.

I'm very far from done with it, it's already better than any non Megadrive game I played so far.
I fully expected to hate the game going in.
I have never been more wrong than with that game.
It's perfectible but it's literally the best Sonic game I've played outside of the Megadrive trio (fucking hate Sonic CD though and sure enough the levels inspired by it are the worst part for me so far).

Lynd7

Level design in Mania is a little to erratic. Too much going on a lot of the time and many stages simply feel too big. Sonic 3&K struck the perfect balance between expansive explorable levels but with a simple structure. 3&K also is in another league in the storytelling department.

Agreed, the levels are too huge and its very hard to visualise the entire map. I prefer the less crazy Sonic 1/2 designs myself.

L.O.R.D

just tried the game on Vita remote,wow,it's look amazing and i can't notice the pixels

on PS4

DHYjNj-XoAAVZco.jpg

on Vita

on PS4

on Vita

the game look sharper and nicer on Vita,but first you should enable high framerate on remote play settings unless you want to play at 30 FPS.

Mirage Saloon act 1 as Knuckles, what a glorious stage, sonic got shafted here, Knux gets the goodness.

Blue sphere is gonna drive me insane, I've finally got a single row's worth of medals, I just want extras! I've audibly "NOOOOO" 'd on multiple ocassions when I'm like a few orbs or rings away and it's just too fast for me to deal with.

METALLIC MADNESS
has the best two tracks in the game

I DARE YOU TO SIT STILL

GOOD LORD THAT SAX SOLO!!!

1275988660_sax-guy.gif

It caught me wonderfully off guard.

Top Bottom