• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Does this game have any of the sonic 1 bonus levels where the world is spinning and you need to touch crystals to break them down to get to the emerald?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SSZ Act 2 boss first impression: "WOW, this is awesome"
2 minutes later: "DAMN IT, TAILS, YOU KEEP MAKING ME LOSE MY CHANGE TO HIT HIM AAAARRRRGGGGGGGHH"
4 minutes later: "CRAP, there's still more!?! I'm at 8 minutes, need to hurry or I'll get a Time Over!"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, what exactly does the name "Press Garden" mean? Is the "press" part just referencing the crushing pressers everywhere, or does it have a deeper meaning?

Oh yeah, I guess one member of the metropolis trio made it after all.

That was a pretty clever use of that enemy too.

Only problem I had with that boss was once again I didn't think it was quite clear what damaged him, as it took me a bit to realize simply hitting him in mid-air didn't hurt him but I had to do a follow-up hit.

RRockman

Banned
So, what exactly does the name "Press Garden" mean? Is the "press" part just referencing the crushing pressers everywhere, or does it have a deeper meaning?

Only problem I had with that boss was once again I didn't think it was quite clear what damaged him, as it took me a bit to realize simply hitting him in mid-air didn't hurt him but I had to do a follow-up hit.

Did you get to act 2?

Printing Press, Act 1 is a printworks.

edit: Oh and 13ruce reminds me that "the press" is slang for newspapers which is pretty much what's going down in here.

Hey guys, if you find it frustrating as Sonic, give Knuckles a shot and take your time. Explore, glide around and climb walls, take out the badniks. Your Time score might be low, but you're more likely to find some secrets and retain your rings. Plus, killing Badniks will help increase your Cool score. It's a far more relaxing pace. By doing this, I was able to
collect all the chaos emeralds by Zone 5's Press Garden, and thus blast through the rest of the game as Super Knuckles. It was such a rewarding experience.
Needless to say, this second playthrough has been even more enjoyable than my first playthrough as Sonic.

13ruce

Banned

Eggman world domination Propoganda after studiopolis he probably resorts to newspapers the press garden act 1 stage is a newspaper factory and act 2 is in a beautiful forest/garden so combine press + garden and you get that. The trees are cut to make the newspapers. So it's a big press newspaper factory.

Thanks for the tips but I've tried for ages, seems impossible for me.
Did a google search and i'm not alone but not many results.
Guess there aren't many colourblind people playing the game.
It's absolutely killed the game for me. I might ask nintendo for a refund, is this possible?

Aww that sucks, do you know about the level select code? You could still experience the rest of the levels with that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Stardust Speedway Act 2's boss is now the worst part of this game. I spent almost 5 minutes just beating the first form but to no avail, mainly because OF TAILS OMG STOP RUINING MY CHANCES OF HITTING THE BOSS AARRRGGGHHHH

Watch Da Birdie

Stardust Speedway Act 2's boss is now the worst part of this game. I spent almost 5 minutes just beating the first form but to no avail, mainly because OF TAILS OMG STOP RUINING MY CHANCES OF HITTING THE BOSS AARRRGGGHHHH

It's another example of the game's bad boss design in communicating what you're supposed to do.

First time you see that boss, you can't physically hit him and you're just supposed to run forward.
Second time he deploys an enemy, and you still can't hit him directly and have to hit the enemy---at first I thought it was one of those bosses where defeating the enemy enough times would allow me to hit the main boss, but nope.
And finally you're in another section that makes you think you simply need to run forward and avoid the boss, but now he's suddenly vulnerable.

It was pretty sloppy and I agree not very fun. I've never played Sonic CD fully so I can't comment on how the original boss played out. Like I said before, the bosses in this game are definitely style > substance and I can't say mechanically I've really enjoyed any of them beyond the novelty of the initial encounters. Like, it's not a game I'd enjoy fighting the bosses again and again like the original Sonic games where they were all pretty simple and fun to fight.

Eggman world domination Propoganda after studiopolis he probably resorts to newspapers the press garden act 1 stage is a newspaper factory and act 2 is in a beautiful forest/garden so combine press + garden and you get that. The trees are cut to make the newspapers. So it's a big press newspaper factory.

Hmm, I guess that makes sense---I thought it was supposed to be a rundown subway station or something. I enjoyed the level, I just felt the theme was a bit too obtuse and random compared to how grounded most of the other classic Sonic zones usually are.

Maengun1

I'm taking it slow, only on the 3rd zone but I am loooooving this so much.

I played the shit out of the first 3 games in the 90s but probably haven't touched them in 15 years, for some reason the music/aesthetic in
chemical plant zone
set off a hardcore nostalgia bomb in me :')

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Good lord, Stardust Speedway completed. I hate the idea of having to redo that first part of the boss battle again.

*sees what the zone is after* HELL YES, at least the zone after feels like a reward for the crap I had to deal with.

13ruce

Banned
It was pretty sloppy and I agree not very fun. I've never played Sonic CD fully so I can't comment on how the original boss played out.

Hmm, I guess that makes sense---I thought it was supposed to be a rundown subway station or something. I enjoyed the level, I just felt the theme was a bit too obtuse and random compared to how grounded most of the other classic Sonic zones usually are.

I liked the stage too and it's my new favorite original new Sonic stage from Mania but yeah i thought it was a subway of some sort too and a paper factory when i replayed it a few times. Untill someone mentioned it earlier in this thread i thought yeah that makes sense.

And about that boss in Sonic CD:
it was entirely a follow/run and avoid attacks boss you needed to be first at the end otherwise Robotnik kills you with a laserbeam wich chases both of you during the fight.
If you are first it kills metal sonic instead of Sonic.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't think it is. It is on the lengthier side, but it's also
the final boss stage. You just work one quadrant then go to the next.

The final boss stages in Sonic 1 and 2, or even Sonic CD, weren't particularly long. Sonic 3 & K is where levels started feeling bloated for me, as some of them just took forever to get through. It's still just a minor annoyance, Mania is definitely the best to come out of thw series in over 20 years.

I keep thinking that maybe a couple of the later zones in Sonic Mania could've been split into three acts.
Thing is, my mind always drifts back to Metropolis Zone. It's still IMO the worst part of Sonic 2.

Aside from Sky Chase and Carnival Night.

RagnarokX

It's another example of the game's bad boss design in communicating what you're supposed to do.

First time you see that boss, you can't physically hit him and you're just supposed to run forward.
Second time he deploys an enemy, and you still can't hit him directly and have to hit the enemy---at first I thought it was one of those bosses where defeating the enemy enough times would allow me to hit the main boss, but nope.
And finally you're in another section that makes you think you simply need to run forward and avoid the boss, but now he's suddenly vulnerable.

It was pretty sloppy and I agree not very fun. I've never played Sonic CD fully so I can't comment on how the original boss played out. Like I said before, the bosses in this game are definitely style > substance and I can't say mechanically I've really enjoyed any of them beyond the novelty of the initial encounters. Like, it's not a game I'd enjoy fighting the bosses again and again like the original Sonic games where they were all pretty simple and fun to fight.

A subway station
full of newspaper press machinery? I mean I guess maybe if you've never seen a printing press but it references it all over straight out of any movie featuring newspapers. Newspapers being printed in the background, you bounce off newspapers on belts, you platform on printing press letter blocks that pop in and out of the background, splats the rabbit hops out of ink wells and splats ink.

Combichristoffersen

I keep thinking that maybe a couple of the later zones in Sonic Mania could've been split into three acts.
Thing is, my mind always drifts back to Metropolis Zone. It's still IMO the worst part of Sonic 2.

Aside from Sky Chase and Carnival Night.

Sky Chase is OK and I like Carnival Night, but Metropolis Zone is... kinda eh. Not because it's too long (it is), but due to there being so much shit going on at the screen, and probably 90% of it is stuff that can potentially kill you.

Watch Da Birdie

I need to play that level again, I guess I was more focused on the plant + ice juxtaposition.

Sanjuro

The final boss stages in Sonic 1 and 2, or even Sonic CD, weren't particularly long. Sonic 3 & K is where levels started feeling bloated for me, as some of them just took forever to get through. It's still just a minor annoyance, Mania is definitely the best to come out of thw series in over 20 years.

It doesn't have to be exactly like those games. And when I say it's not long, I finished it quicker than most of the stages in this game.

A subway station
full of newspaper press machinery? I mean I guess maybe if you've never seen a printing press but it references it all over straight out of any movie featuring newspapers. Newspapers being printed in the background, you bounce off newspapers on belts, you platform on printing press letter blocks that pop in and out of the background, splats the rabbit hops out of ink wells and splats ink.

Yup, when I first saw the name I was like
"Press Garden?" and then I saw the conveyor belts with newspaper propoganda in the background about a minute or so in and was like "Oooh!"

Opa-Pa

I have to admit I started to get sick of classic levels by the time I reached L
ava Reef
, and I didn't enjoy that level much at all, I was thinking I'd be done for today if the next stage was also a classic one, and then boom,

Flippin'
Metallic Madness
. So damn cool. And I swear I had its music stuck in my head just today out of nowhere! I never expected it to be in Mania, and it was pretty fun too with an awesome boss.

Man, this game rocks. I think my only complaint is the abundance of classic stages, as the new ones are stellar. They're good though so it's not too bad, but I'm a bit bummed because this was my only fear prior to release.

Still, it's proving to be my favorite 2D Sonic game by a country mile so far.

Metal Sonic gets a pretty robust encounter, and there's something about that giant Eggman statue from CD now modelled in low poly 3D that I get a kick out of.

While I'm musing over here...
Regarding
Lava Reef
Zone,
it sort of hit me as I played this take on the zone that it's like "what if we did Marble Zone, and it didn't suck?", combine that with the definitive take on my favourite classic Sonic theme in Act 1 and hoo boy, this zone stepped up for part 1.
Part 2 is a fine stage as well (shout out to my boy Quartz Quadrant here) but it can't compete with the 3&Knuckles spectacle finale.

That Eggman statue is edgier than Infinite. It's so good.

Mania's Lava Reef is just a solid-as-hell stage. Not too many moments that made me say wow, but just good, even great level design throughout both acts. Only real issue is that as Sonic/Tails it just kinda ends. No real buildup to the boss.

Get your list together so we can go to war, Owl
<3

Yeah,
Lava Reef
is really good!

Honestly, is there a single dud in the bunch? Only Green Hill stands out to me as a zone that isn't great, but that's fine, since it's the first one in the game. It gets the job done and the second act is decent enough.

13ruce

Banned
How does Knuckles even win that Chemical Plant act 2 boss fight?
Robotnik is supposed to have a IQ of 300 how in the hell can Knuckles win from him lol in a game of meanbean with Sonic i can understand Sonic atleast is somewhat smart but Knuckles is not very bright:p

What do you guys think is the earliest Sega hardware this game could have run on or been developed for?

Maintaining every effect and feature.

I would guess Saturn, but I'm not sure if even Saturn could do it without slowdown.

Combichristoffersen

What do you guys think is the earliest Sega hardware this game could have run on or been developed for?

Maintaining every effect and feature.

I would guess Saturn, but I'm not sure if even Saturn could do it without slowdown.

Saturn. Not even 32X would be able to pull off some of the things in Mania.

Yeah,
Lava Reef
is really good!

Honestly, is there a single dud in the bunch? Only Green Hill stands out to me as a zone that isn't great, but that's fine, since it's the first one in the game. It gets the job done and the second act is decent enough.

Mirage Saloon Act 1 for Sonic is probably the closest to a dud, but it's...fine for what it is.

Mania just doesn't have the issue of annoying levels for me. Love S3&K, but I always feel a tinge of dread when Marble Garden, Carnival Night, and Sandopolis start up. Give me any level in Mania and I'll be happy to some degree.

Final level. Everything else is good to great. But that said, the final level takes a lot from Sonic CD level design, and I've never really liked CD.

CD levels often interconnect in annoying ways that can lead to inadvertent backtracking. Mania's final level can feel convoluted, but in practice it's very difficult to lose your way as long as you keep pushing forward.

Q: So I've beaten the game, and now I'm replaying Press Garden because it has the closest special stage ring.

Does the game save after collecting a chaos emerald? Or should I complete the zone before quitting?

Special Stage 4 was a pain in the ass btw. Not looking forward to the next three.

Mirage Saloon Act 1 for Sonic is probably the closest to a dud, but it's...fine for what it is.

Mania just doesn't have the issue of annoying levels for me. Love S3&K, but I always feel a tinge of dread when Marble Garden, Carnival Night, and Sandopolis start up. Give me any level in Mania and I'll be happy to some degree.

Same here.

Q: So I've beaten the game, and now I'm replaying Press Garden because it has the closest special stage ring.

Does the game save after collecting a chaos emerald? Or should I complete the zone before quitting?

Special Stage 4 was a pain in the ass btw. Not looking forward to the next three.

The game saves whenever you get an emerald, so feel free to quit the stage. Same goes for bonus stages too.

Same here.
It saves just get emerald, exit stage and repeat.

Vidiot

I made it through the game first play through without much trouble. Only died once or twice on some boss fights. I didn't find any boss overly difficult. I don't get the complaint for the Oil Ocean boss at all. Honestly most of my deaths came from being crushed. Got crushed to death a lot more in this than any other Sonic. Didn't get all the emeralds yet but definitely will do so with all characters.

Fantastic game and better then any classic Sonic except for Sonic 3 & Knuckles imo. If we get a sequel I want all original zones, stage transitions for all stages, a more logical flow to the stages, and a story that makes more sense.

Also a minor nitpick for me is the pre Super Sonic final boss. It's a good fight but feels so small time and is much less epic then the enormous mech from S&K.

Top Bottom