• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unleashed mediocre? Naa. Maybe not your style but nothing in Unleashed is mediocre. Good at least.
The Werehog, towns, Tornado stages, side quests, Sun/Moon medal collecting, and all the random crap in between the daytime stages aren't what I'd call inspired; these elements take up more than 2/3 of the game too.

Tizoc

After Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon I am not listening to any more of the OST XP
Unless it's Flying Battery but that's not up on Yt is it? RIght? It's not up yet.
Surely it isn't

After Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon I am not listening to any more of the OST XP
Unless it's Flying Battery but that's not up on Yt is it? RIght? It's not up yet.
Surely it isn't

Not the track by itself from Sega, just what you can hear in the reveal for the Act 1.

muteki

What platform are you guys getting this for and why?

Personally I'll probably end up going Switch for portability, hopefully all versions run at the same resolution, have no issues, etc.

Will definitely double dip if a physical version is announced.

Probably Switch for portability reasons but I know that d-pad is going to bug me.

bede-x

I'm getting it on Steam due to lower price and controller preference (I like the D-pad on Logitech F310 in platformers), and Xbox One due to backwards compatibility. I want to be able to play it later on and Microsoft has been more dedicated to BC this generation than Sony, which is something I value.

It's is the kind of game I'm considering buying all four versions of eventually, but two will do for launch.

Surely it isn't
I'm trying to go as cold as I can on almost all aspects of the game at this point. I've seen gameplay from GHZ, Studiopolis, and the desert level. I wanna call it a day. The game comes out in less than 3 weeks, I can wait!

hodgy100

I think you're giving the scope of the hub a little undue credit, I wouldn't really call speeding through those small sections half the game.

You're right though, outside of day stages everything is half-baked or unnecessary.

yeah i was including other parts of the game under that time estimate :p

The Werehog, towns, Tornado stages, side quests, Sun/Moon medal collecting, and all the random crap in between the daytime stages aren't what I'd call inspired; these elements take up more than 2/3 of the game too.

Exactly. I experience unleashed through the PC generations mod now because the rest of the game isn't worth playing.

Ferr986

I liked the town hubs on Unleashed. They probably added nothing but they also didn't harm the pacing, they were so small and looked beautiful. The action areas of the hubs were a mess though, because Sonic had his speed unlocked and he wasn't meant to run in such small areas.

About the Werehog, I liked his stages when it was about slow platforming, they just needed almost 50% less fighting. I still rather have that than Emerald Collecting or pew-pew stages.

Medal collecting sucked. Tornado stages not being like SA1 ones was baffling.

The Tornado stages felt like they were shoehorned in at the last minute. It even contradicts the plot. You fight Eggman at the end of the first act, but later on you encounter him in Africa and he acts surprised that Sonic survived the fall from space, even though he should know that already.

Aki-at

Real talk
Sonic boom fire and ice is a decent 2d platformer

Sega's been killin it this year-
Yakuza 0 and 1k, sonic mania, bayonetta and vanquish
Such a great year ToT

Don't forget Puyo Tetris.

Everyone always forgets Puyo Tetris, that's probably why I can't get many matches anymore ;_;

I'm getting it for Switch because of the portability. I'm really looking forward to this one!

Also, is it weird to anyone else that Sonic Mania isn't listed on the Coming Soon section on the eShop in USA yet? They really have a weird selection of games listed on there right now haha.

Gunner is Studiopolis.
King seems like it will be in Mirage Saloon.
The Cathedral stage night go with Mace Robo because aren't Maxed used in religion?
If the Cherry Blossom stage is true then Shuriken Robo goes to that stage.
Finally that leaves the Top Hat Robo. I hope he resembles a Show Magician so we can get a magic themes stage.

The only thing that makes me hesitant to put King in Saloon is that he doesn't seem to fit the level's theme. If he is indeed the leader of the Heavies, he'll likely be in the final level.

Heavy Knight in the unknown Cathedral makes sense; they could give him a crusader theme!

Agreed, makes too much sense to deny.

I'm hopeful that we get a Magic stage as well, but I feel like Heavy Magician may be Saloon's boss.

The Werehog is massively mediocre and uninspired and it makes up the majority of the game. The game structure with the Hub also makes no sense considering what sonic is supposed to be and its clearly there just to be filler. you end up with just 1/4 of the game being amazing (the daytime stages)

Certainly Super Mario 3D World is not what I consider Mario is supposed to be, hence is bad. Please.

I can see Apotos and Shamar levels as boring but then Holoska, Empire City, Adabat, and Chun-nan all have really fun werehog levels. And Unleashed still have Eggmanland, best level on entire Hedgehog Engine saga.

I grant you progression is ass but that dont make the game mediocre, considering great visual and superb music aswell.

Well Im in full Unleashed Defense Force mode lol but what is bad about sidequest? I like those and they are optional if I remember correctly. Tornado stages are crap though. Final Boss is epic AF in the other hand, presentation is top notch and that fuckin Pixar-quality intro was one to remember... It was the last really ambitious Sonic game and we are playing iterations of that game till today.

I just feel Unleashed get more hate that it deserves. Easily a 6 to 7 over 10 game

KodaRuss

I think I am getting this on my Switch. The idea of having this portable is too good to pass up.

Anything my wife might like right now I am getting on the Switch because she loves playing with it now.

Ferr986

Certainly Super Mario 3D World is not what I consider Mario is supposed to be, hence is bad. Please.

I can see Apotos and Shamar levels as boring but then Holoska, Empire City, Adabat, and Chun-nan all have really fun werehog levels. And Unleashed still have Eggmanland, best level on entire Hedgehog Engine saga.

I grant you progression is ass but that dont make the game mediocre, considering great visual and superb music aswell.

Well Im in full Unleashed Defense Force mode lol but what is bad about sidequest? I like those and they are optional if I remember correctly. Tornado stages are crap though. Final Boss is epic AF in the other hand, presentation is top notch and that fuckin Pixar-quality intro was one to remember... It was the last really ambitious Sonic game and we are playing iterations of that game till today.

I just feel Unleashed get more hate that it deserves. Easily a 6 to 7 over 10 game

Eww no, the final boss was a mess, especially the golem part. Game should have ended against Egg Dragoon, now that one was cool.

VariantX

Personally I'll probably end up going Switch for portability, hopefully all versions run at the same resolution, have no issues, etc.

Literally don't know. Switch, PS4, PC are all viable choices for me right now. Will wait for analysis and reviews to make an informed choice.

RockmanBN

The only thing that makes me hesitant to put King in Saloon is that he doesn't seem to fit the level's theme. If he is indeed the leader of the Heavies, he'll likely be in the final level.

Heavy Knight in the unknown Cathedral makes sense; they could give him a crusader theme!

Agreed, makes too much sense to deny.

I'm hopeful that we get a Magic stage as well, but I feel like Heavy Magician may be Saloon's boss.
I'm kinda hoping each Heavy gets their own original stage to justify having a final original stage leaving the counter on 6.

Wil348

If you enjoyed Unleashed and think it's a good game, that is totally fine, it's your opinion. But don't try stating that it's a good game as a fact, when the general consensus for it is extremely mixed. This also goes for many other Sonic games.

MrBadger

Unleashed mediocre? Naa. Maybe not your style but nothing in Unleashed is mediocre. Good at least.

Unleashed is just one of those games that I never got the love for. It's visually spectacular and the day stages are cool, but I actually couldn't finish it. The night stages, medal collecting and hub worlds ruined it, and the day levels weren't good enough to justify it.

I'm gonna buy it on PS4, then double dip when I finally get round to buying a Switch

13ruce

Banned
Is this 15 august for Switch too? I really want it day one on there. Recently played the first 3 sonic games for the first time ever and yeah masterpieces.

Ramune

I mentioned it a few pages back but I'm getting the PC version so I can use this:

4c9b1befdb94f_137501b.jpg

Seeing as it's a lost Saturn/32X game and all! ^_-

Sadly, it doesn't work on a PS4 (and I assume Xbox One). Switch might be my 2nd version whenever I get around to buying that console though.

Edit: Technically, I'll be double dipping since the Collector's Edition won't be here by Day one, so I'll have to buy it on Steam on launch (also luckly, I'll have that day off)

hodgy100

I have no idea how mario 3D world comes into this? It's distilled 2d mario in 3d with tight platforming challenges that clearly take inspiration from past games and iterates.

You can argue its safe in comparison to prior mario games (I'd agree) and that it lacks the awe that other mario games do (again id agree). But mario 3d world absolutely makes sense in the world of mario, its cohesive with the franchise and the game is polished to an extreme degree.

Unleashed on the other hand is shoehorning in slow combat gameplay into a platforming series that sells itself of fast momentum based platforming its at complete odds with the franchise identity. and that ignores that the werehog levels range from bad to bearable, the combat is uninspired and boring, as are the enemy types and encounter design. the levels are too long (up to 1 hour long) and you have to finish an entire level in one sitting.

I'll fully agree that the presentation and music are both absolutely top notch. But that does not make a good game especially when its a series that was originally lauded gameplay.

Look the daytime levels are outstanding. They feel arcady, they are fast and make the player feel skillful. they look amazing and the gameplay feels great it oozes SEGA. but that is not the entire game. We all know that sega has a history of artificially lengthening sonic games because they feel like short sonic games wont be thought as worth their money. But it lowered the quality of the series and watered down the experience.

Unleashed gets a lot of hate because it is stuffed with bullshit and crap that just isn't fun. and a 6 is considered mediocre in the games industry...

Camjo-Z

Switch for sure, the Sonic mobile ports are some of the few games I never delete from my phone and being able to have this portable as well will be great.

I have the collector's edition preordered for the PS4, though I will be getting it again for PC and Switch, especially if there's a physical copy down the road.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't really like Unleashed day stages or Generations that much anymore. Just hold boost to win with some light platforming.

Colors is a way better game imo, less focus on boosting and there were cool ideas with the wisps and better platforming.

Sky Sanctuary was pretty good in gens tho

Switch, all versions will run the same anyway, so might as well get a version that can be portable too.

Or Steam if Workshop support is added in

hodgy100

I don't really like Unleashed day stages or Generations that much anymore. Just hold boost to win with some light platforming.

Colors is a way better game imo, less focus on boosting and there were cool ideas with the wisps and better platforming.

That gameplay style really comes into its own when you treat it like a time attack to get the fastest speed as opposed to the goal just being getting to the end. But I know what you mean.

Ferr986

I liked Unleashed and Generations but I also think Colors was the best ouf of the three. Although Colors was more of a 2D game, the 3D sections were really simple and better done in Generations. But I liked the more expansive level design of Colors, there's alot of secret routes there.

RagnarokX

Mario 3D World is clearly Sonic:
SeparateFabulousChrysomelid.gif

I have no idea how mario 3D world comes into this? It's distilled 2d mario in 3d with tight platforming challenges that clearly take inspiration from past games and iterates.

You can argue its safe in comparison to prior mario games (I'd agree) and that it lacks the awe that other mario games do (again id agree). But mario 3d world absolutely makes sense in the world of mario, its cohesive with the franchise and the game is polished to an extreme degree.

Unleashed on the other hand is shoehorning in slow combat gameplay into a platforming series that sells itself of fast momentum based platforming its at complete odds with the franchise identity. and that ignores that the werehog levels range from bad to bearable, the combat is uninspired and boring, as are the enemy types and encounter design. the levels are too long (up to 1 hour long) and you have to finish an entire level in one sitting.

I'll fully agree that the presentation and music are both absolutely top notch. But that does not make a good game especially when its a series that was originally lauded gameplay.

Look the daytime levels are outstanding. They feel arcady, they are fast and make the player feel skillful. they look amazing and the gameplay feels great it oozes SEGA. but that is not the entire game. We all know that sega has a history of artificially lengthening sonic games because they feel like short sonic games wont be thought as worth their money. But it lowered the quality of the series and watered down the experience.

Unleashed gets a lot of hate because it is stuffed with bullshit and crap that just isn't fun. and a 6 is considered mediocre in the games industry...

This is not an argument about 3D World in particular. Sorry if you understand that. Its just an example of "not my style then bad game" argument. Surprisingly 3D World also get a lot of hate.

My point is Unleashed is a good game. Not mediocre, not bad. Its not a masterpiece either but I get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Mario 3D World is clearly Sonic:
SeparateFabulousChrysomelid.gif

Don't forget it has Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad
and Rosalina
all playable too, and they all share the same core gameplay. It's literally Sonic 3&K's setup in 3D. The only thing missing are alternate routes and exits that are based on character abilities (though there are some suits that are necessary to find some of the hidden warp pipes and some character-specific stamp buttons).

Man, what I'd give to see a 3D Sonic game based on both the Genesis games that takes a 3D Land / 3D World setup. There is some fangame out there that tries it (called Classic Sonic 3D Adventure, I think), but the controls/physics and especially the level design is far from up to snuff IMO.

Even if this game is good, can it really turn round the runaway train that has been off the track for decades?

That's more dependent on Sega changing or keeping the status quo of Sonic Team having the undisputed keys to the Sonic kingdom and/or Sonic Team having the same studio management and game designers in control of the direction of the franchise/games.

IMO, the best Mania can do is prove the following:
a. There's no curse or conspiracy against Sonic as a game series, Sonic Team(/Dimps) has just mishandled him for years
b. Mania is proof people can assuredly start looking past Sonic Team(/Dimps) for good Sonic games (after previous Western takes on the series like Bioware's Chronicles and BRB/Sanzaru's Boom games ranged from forgettable to awful)
c. Genesis Sonic gameplay --when done right, and not botched like in Sonic 4-- still holds up and is a reliable direction to go for Sonic (it can also help discredit the "Sonic was never good" revisionist history narrative in the same way Crash N-Sane Trilogy did for Crash)

Though whether Sega actually acts upon those results or simply ignores them is another story.

(whoops, double post)

I'll defend Unleashed to the death, but the next-gen final boss was terrible. The first phase of you flying through the rocks was cool as hell and felt as close as we'll ever get to a full 3D Doomsday Zone, but the phase to tear down the shield was absolutely awful. Controls were clunky, he could somehow damage you through his own shield, and it was secretly an escort mission because you had to succeed before
Chip
died. Then phase 3 was just a bunch of QTEs ending with a 100x button mash that would regularly fail you even if you successfully completed it.

One of the few things the Wii version did right.

Once those devs prove that they can work to contract and deliver a finished game, sure. Let's all remember that the Mania team aren't just a bunch of fans with no professional experience.

For me, the best case scenario is this team getting more work and bigger budgets, so we can have a series of decent 2D games alongside the mediocre 3D ones, like how it was in the Advance/Rush days

I'm not really sure if there's anything Sonic Team can learn from Mania, in fact I don't think I'm alone in thinking that they need to stop trying to do Classic Sonic gameplay, now that we have a team that's doing it right.

If they don't want to hire those specific devs them they should just take the ideas and make a game. I feel like Sonic could have its Mario 64 moment 20 years later.

RagnarokX

Don't forget it has Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad
and Rosalina
all playable too, and they all share the same core gameplay. It's literally Sonic 3&K's setup in 3D. The only thing missing are alternate routes and exits that are based on character abilities (though there are some suits that are necessary to find some of the hidden warp pipes and some character-specific stamp buttons).

Man, what I'd give to see a 3D Sonic game based on both the Genesis games that takes a 3D Land / 3D World setup. There is some fangame out there that tries it (called Classic Sonic 3D Adventure, I think), but the controls/physics and especially the level design is far from up to snuff IMO.
Aye. To me Mario 3D World is what 3D Mario always should have been: Mario in 3D. Mario 64 and Sunshine always felt like a sidestep into the adventure genre rather than 3D platforming, but that only lasted 2 games before Galaxy brought the linear platforming back in force. Hell, I remember back in the 90s feeling betrayed by both Sonic and Mario for them going away from what I loved about them. Of course 64/Sunshine and the 3D Sonic games are good, they just shifted focus.

Stevey

Yeah AFAIK, the only physical release will be the Collector's Edition, which is pretty much sold out everywhere.

91uBAxvXJ-L._SL1500_.jpg

I've got mine pre-ordered and bought it on STEAM as well to show my support.

J@hranimo

Banned

Switch, PC and my future PS4.

These guys need my support from everywhere.

It all comes together to make the final product, though. The visuals are pretty good and the music is good as always, but if the gameplay sucks most of the time none of that matters.

The sidequests, while definitely playable, are nothing special and rather boring, and in many cases extremely tedious. Everything from collecting tea to deliver to people across the world to returning to levels to solve a simple task really were executed without much thought.

The experience as a whole is quite draining given how poorly the game is paced and how uninspiring the side content is. Eggmanland and the final boss really left a horrible taste in my mouth as well; both took WAY too long and were super unforgiving.

It is what it is; I wouldnt consider it a bad game by any means, but it isn't really that good either. 5 or 6 out of 10 game, imo. I'm happy all subsequent Sonic games trimmed the fat and provided more streamlined experiences that brought the focus to what players really wanted to be engaged with: the levels themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom