• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1

Playing this game on the Switch. The only way for me to go with Mania.

It's so close now. Sega please do not show off anymore before launch. Keep us surprised, I'm avoiding that intro reveal too.

Have waited too long for this game. It better sell like gangbusters and send Sega the right message.

RockmanBN

Have the PS4 collectors preordered on Amazon when it was mispriced for $48. Will get it for the Switch too and double dip if physical editions appear latet.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm going to do a Sonic series playthrough starting this weekend. At the very least, it will include Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, S&K and (sigh) 4.

But I'm also tempted to play some of the 3D games again if I have time. It's a bit frustrating and strange that Sega hasn't done a quick HD port of Sonic Heroes like they did for the Adventure games.

This has probably been discussed already ...but what do you suppose the chances are of one of the "as yet unannounced modes" being a split screen 2-player VS mode, similar to the Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 2-player race modes?

Due to the sprite resolution, could easily get a nice split horizontally without compromising any of the visuals...

dlauv

I'm hoping for high-9s, expecting mid-7s to mid-8s, and mentally preparing for high-6s.

Really hope this game does well. The advertisement campaign isn't seeming too hot. The recently released Forces trailer is hot on the heels of the Mania Pre-Order trailer, which is kind of saddening. I can imagine a general public apathetically looking at Green Hill and writing it off, content to enjoy their mobile versions. I hope the trailer is getting tv syndication.

zeeaykay

I might have to replay the genesis sonic games to get ready for this. Are the 360 ports good, or should I find another way to play them?

The xbla port for sonic 2, and sonic 3/knuckles doesn't allow you to access the level select mode and has less save slots, iirc. Kinda ruined the replay value for me

RagnarokX

Nobody wants Zero.

HappyIllegalAltiplanochinchillamouse-size_restricted.gif

I'm surprised there isn't a new sonic friend in mania, since new sonic friends has been the name of the game since the first Sonic game.

No new music since Dimension Heist on Sunday hurts, you guys. It hurts something fierce.

I need more. More of this glorious Sonic 3D Blast Saturn-meets-NiGHTS-meets-Jet Set Radio 32-bit miracle soundtrack. It's so close...

And, I mean, I'm really excited for the game too. But this soundtrack, come on.

JP

That trailer looks beautiful!!

Damn, I wish I enjoyed Sonic games. I'm one of those really unusual people who just hasn't got on with any of them, even the original games. I've tried a few times when they've bee re-released but I just don't feel them when I play them.

It's annoying because I really like the look of them and I know so many other people absolutely love them. ☹️

dlauv

I might have to replay the genesis sonic games to get ready for this. Are the 360 ports good, or should I find another way to play them?

Mobile, easily. They're two bucks a pop, have wide-screen, all kinds of fixes, some optional new features, and an ace presentation. They're made by the devs making Mania. No S3&K available on mobile though.

However, you'd need to buy S&K and S3 on 360 separately, so I'd recommend Steam instead. Cheaper, mod options, and a fantastic presentation.

The 360 ports are kind of crude and overpriced, but they'll get the job done.

Mark1

No new music since Dimension Heist on Sunday hurts, you guys. It hurts something fierce.

I need more. More of this glorious Sonic 3D Blast Saturn-meets-NiGHTS-meets-Jet Set Radio 32-bit miracle soundtrack. It's so close...

I've been listening to Dimension Heistas well, shit like that is so damn catchy compared to other Sonic games.

I really hope they put this soundtrack up on Spotify. Tee Lopes cannot let me down 😉

J@hranimo

Banned

I was expecting something this week, but I guess they'll start ramping up when August hits next week.

Soodanim

I'm surprised there isn't a new sonic friend in mania, since new sonic friends has been the name of the game since the first Sonic game.

This is a game made by people who spent years in the Sonic community, which is part of why this game is high on people's lists. A pure 2D Sonic game like the old days with just the main characters and none of the nonsense the later games decided to introduce.

This is a game made by people who spent years in the Sonic community, which is part of why this game is high on people's lists. A pure 2D Sonic game like the old days with just the main characters and none of the nonsense the later games decided to introduce.

His thought is that even the old games had a new character introduced every time. Sonic 2 had tails, Sonic cd had Amy, 3+K had Knuckles

Only two new playable characters in there though, so it's too few to say it's a mandatory part of a trend.

NotLiquid

I'm surprised how conservative Sega have been in terms of showing off the game. It feels like we've only seen half of what the game has to offer in terms of zones. Green Hill, Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon, Flying Battery, Chemical Plant and Stardust Speedway seem to be the only levels they've shown off in any official capacity and since they've said the game is longer than any of the classics it's presumably on par with S3&K, which would mean that's only really half of the zones. Something that endlessly bugged me about every Sonic game since Unleashed is how they revealed pretty much every zone and sometimes every boss the game had to offer in some capacity. Generations, Colors and Unleashed had no real "wow" surprises.

This is a different story altogether. It seems like they got enough good-will with fans to the point that they don't need to shove everything in our faces and preserve the element of surprise. Surprisingly enough similar thing goes for Sonic Forces, even though I expect them to start showing off way too much on that one closer to release since that's still another 3 months off.

Mobile, easily. They're two bucks a pop, have wide-screen, all kinds of fixes, some optional new features, and an ace presentation. They're made by the devs making Mania. No S3&K available on mobile though.

However, you'd need to buy S&K and S3 on 360 separately, so I'd recommend Steam instead. Cheaper, mod options, and a fantastic presentation.

The 360 ports are kind of crude and overpriced, but they'll get the job done.
If you get S3&K via Steam, like he said there's mod options. By far the definitive way to play the game is the S3&K complete mod, which lets you customize the hell out of the game, lets you play Blue Sphere/Sonic 3/S&K separately (which vanilla S3&K on Steam doesn't let you do), change the music, different spin dash/physics options etc.

manakel

I've been listening to Dimension Heistas well, shit like that is so damn catchy compared to other Sonic games.

I really hope they put this soundtrack up on Spotify. Tee Lopes cannot let me down 😉
I honestly preordered the vinyl soundtrack and I don't even have a turn table yet lol. It's just that good.

Endo Punk

Already pre-ordered, I couldn't say no to Sonic Manic, to quote Homer, good things end in Mania. Can't wait to play another good Sonic game, been far too long.

Ramune

Maybe end the game with a new character that will be a tease for the next project? Or Amy cameos, as they probably know how requested she is.

petran79

Banned
But I'm also tempted to play some of the 3D games again if I have time. It's a bit frustrating and strange that Sega hasn't done a quick HD port of Sonic Heroes like they did for the Adventure games.

Sonic Adventure 2 DX on PC got only better thanks to fan made patches.
I still have the Sonic Heroes Windows DVD and with Ultra Wide Screen patch it looks a completely different experience

RagnarokX

At least she would make playing as Sonic seem like a better idea.

The idea that there was no reason to play as Sonic is silly. Tails' ability to fly made things too easy, and Knuckles plays differently enough with his abilities and forced alternate paths. Plus Sonic is the only one that can use the shield abilities and his instashield in Sonic 3 made him better against enemies.

Berordn

The game's UI and artwork heavily features four colors:

maniauijfs28.png

There's some speculation that those color swatches represent Blue for Sonic, Red for Knuckles and Orange for Tails, which would leave that Teal color for a fourth, unannounced character. But that's just rampant speculation, they've given us no real reason to assume there will be a fourth character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom