• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Dat Sonic CD style of animation continues to be of the most excellent of varieties. Bravo to the people working on this; I'd love to see hand drawn art for the next game in the same style.

Now if only we could get a TV series like this.

Metzhara

Nintendo Switch Powered by Blast Processing - CONFIRMED
(Need to cancel my two pre-orders for two Switch versions now, a friend of mine has a present incoming.)

Trailer of the year? That was some good stuff. The whole thing basically promotes that they "get it". They know what they are doing.
Definitely trailer of the year and I think it will be my GOTY
I don't know how but we have managed to get ourselves into a timeline where 4 never existed. It seems CD never existed either but hey I'll take it.

20 fucking years too late but I'll take it.

I think maybe because CD's gameplay is different from 2-Mania, they just didn't include it in that elevator gag for "main" 2D Sonic games. Hasn't CD always been sort of the odd one out when it comes to the 2D Sonics?

Atrarock

This is just...wow. Holy shit.

WHY ISN'T THIS GAME GETTING A PHYSICAL RELEASE!? I know it's been said more than a few times, but it makes no sense damn it! It would have such amazing boxart. :(

Also, we need an entire series with the animation present in this trailer. Great stuff.
I agree, especially with the switch version.

A brand new 2D Sonic game in 2017, in HD, on a cart/cartridge. Kind of speaks for itself, I'm really hoping they take advantage of that fact somehow.

I really can't decide which platform to get this for (Switch, PC, PS4). Any visual benefit on PC?

If the switch had a dpad In portable mode, it would be a no brainer for me.

Besides BoTW, every other game I've wanted to play on the switch has required a dpad and it's really soured the experience for me. This is another example

Game looks so good. Hope the level design is good. That's my only concern

Lucifon

Switch on the same day?? Seems perfect for that platform. Definitely going Switch if it is and if it matches the other versions.

NotLiquid

Amid all the Archie rumors I'm really glad that Tyson is getting an opportunity to work on Sega with something big and on an actual Sonic game. I remember when the guy had his humble beginnings doing fan sprites so many years ago, and seeing him now illustrate and animate what is easily the best Sonic design that's being adopted in the best looking Sonic game in over a decade is so exciting. The way he draws Sonic is so fucking fantastic and unique, it feels like a natural evolution of the classic Sonic era and it is the perfect depiction of his style and attitude.

tumblr_o38an1goT41qgbzcro5_1280.png

I can't wait for this game.

I don't know how but we have managed to get ourselves into a timeline where 4 never existed. It seems CD never existed either but hey I'll take it.

20 fucking years too late but I'll take it.

What if CD happens "after" Mania? The Stardust Speedway stage appears to be based off the Past version shown in CD, so what if Mania features Sonic's "first" visit to the Little Planet? Then, the events of CD happen after the events of Mania, and thanks to the strange flow of time on the Little Planet, Stardust Speedway is more metropolitan by the time Sonic returns?

Zubz

Banned
Stardust Speedway felt really likely, but I still got excited when I realized what that overgrown level was. I'm surprised they chose the Past version, though. Are they revisiting Sonic 2's scrapped time travel idea? And is that why we haven't seen Aquatic Ruin (Since that was also supposed to be a past stage)?

We've seriously considered making a Sonic prototype and just putting it in front of Sega to see what happens, because they were talking to us about pitching another game at one point.

Then Sonic Boom happened, and Sega wanted nothing to do with American-developed games, and all pitch plans were canceled.

I'm stoked to know LZ talent is in this game; it really does feel like this game's going to be a springboard for a lot of talented people in the industry.

Part of me's curious as to what game Sega wanted you to pitch, but hopefully Mania's nigh-inevitable success means they'll come back with it so I don't want to ask (That said, my primary guesses are all long shots like Eternal Champions & Comix Zone, anyway).

This is just...wow. Holy shit.

WHY ISN'T THIS GAME GETTING A PHYSICAL RELEASE!? I know it's been said more than a few times, but it makes no sense damn it! It would have such amazing boxart. :(

Also, we need an entire series with the animation present in this trailer. Great stuff.

Yeah, they even have 'box art' right at the start of the trailer, but nope. Still no physical release. =\

Sacul64GC

Banned
What? Since when does Sonic sell better on Nintendo platforms? (If you're including the exclusive games, that isn't fair.)

It *is* a new PS4 game. =)

I have seen many times people bring up the Wii version of unleashed, 3ds generations and I remember seeing official stories of transformed selling best on Wii u despite being a launch title. The fact that Sega takes their exclusives to nintendo as often as they so should be a sign in their confidence in sales. I wish I could link but a brief search showed forum posts with no source and I don't where to look up sales. Additionally this is also not counting PC as now that Sega has started regularly releasing there they have sold the entire sonic series for literal dollars.

What? Since when does Sonic sell better on Nintendo platforms? (If you're including the exclusive games, that isn't fair.)

Isn't this well known?

Sonic & All-Stars Racing sold best on Wii U compared to PS3/360 just after the Wii U launch despite the tiny install base in comparison. Generations 3DS did the same versus the other versions. This is a reason why there have been exclusive Sonic games on Nintendo platforms.

They also have more exposure to Sonic due to the Mario & Sonic games and Smash Bros.

What if CD happens "after" Mania? The Stardust Speedway stage appears to be based off the Past version shown in CD, so what if Mania features Sonic's "first" visit to the Little Planet? Then, the events of CD happen after the events of Mania, and thanks to the strange flow of time on the Little Planet, Stardust Speedway is more metropolitan by the time Sonic returns?

I could see that but I would rather they just pretend like CD was an alternate timeline and not feel bound to it. I say that because I want an endless supply of Sonic Mania sequels over the next decade.

Da-Kid

Just proves more and more Sonic Team doesn't know what they're doing. When your fans are making a better game than you, it should raise eyebrows.

Also I guess Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic are two different versions of the character officially? I don't understand why we have a brand new 2D game with Classic Sonic, and another with both versions. So weird..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom