• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffvorax

Worst release date ever! I will be on vacation the 2 central weeks of august... :\

No preorder for me, I will buy it later.

But excited for sure!

RagnarokX

M87Je4i.gif

Came across this, apparently it was leaked awhile back.

Is this game confirmed to have animated cutscenes because bro if it does literal goty no joke

I got the idea that the animations might actually be a work in progress for a cutscene explaining the story of the game. The elevator transports Sonic through zones from his past until reaching the new zones. However there's no CD floor on the elevator.

Mr_Moogle

This last time I actually owned a copy of a Sonic game was when my grandpa got me Sonic and Knuckles back in the 90's. When Sega brought the series into 3D it completely fell off my radar. I can't think of a series with a bigger form slump than Sonic but I will gladly jump back in if they can recepature some of the brilliance of the genesis games.

I hope the Nintendo YouTube account posts this trailer soon, I know the views on it would be much higher like what happened with the announcement trailer.

Worst release date ever! I will be on vacation the 2 central weeks of august... :\

Meanwhile for launch I put in for a vacation day a few minutes after seeing the trailer lol.

Tizoc

I hope the Nintendo YouTube account posts this trailer soon, I know the views on it would be much higher like what happened with the announcement trailer.

Meanwhile for launch I put in for a vacation day a few minutes after seeing the trailer lol.

That will be interesting indeed.

Forkball

Wow, $20 is a great price. I was honestly expecting $30 or $40. Hopefully it's not a two hour game or something wacky like that. This game seems to be doing everything right.

LowRoller

Wow, $20 is a great price. I was honestly expecting $30 or $40. Hopefully it's not a two hour game or something wacky like that. This game seems to be doing everything right.
I remember sonic 1 and 2 being two hours or a bit longer. I expect it to be similar to that .

I doubt it'll be a long game, especially for people who are competent at playing classic Sonic games.

I'd rather play a short and replayable game of consistent quality, than something like Generations where progress was locked behind minigames to pad what would have been a 2 hour title across 10 hours.

Jhn

The tone of this is fucking perfect, but whoever decided to render that trailer at 30fps was a moron. Makes the gameplay look janky as fuck.

Also, I would love a potential higher-budget sequel with new spritework in the same Sonic CD animation style.

The only thing that would make this game better would be the inclusion of Taxman versions of all 16-bit era Sonic games as unlockable bonus content.

Oh man the way the characters switch is a throwback to the Sonic & Knuckles TV Ad (that aired in the UK at least) which is burned in my memory forever.

£15 is a great price, pleasantly surprised by that and it makes this a definite purchase.

Foffy

Banned
I got the idea that the animations might actually be a work in progress for a cutscene explaining the story of the game. The elevator transports Sonic through zones from his past until reaching the new zones. However there's no CD floor on the elevator.

I assume that the elevator numbers was more symbolic of the game being a direct successor to the earlier games, if the numbers and the elevator meant anything at all.

Mania is looking to "go above" Sonic 3, if there's any symbolism in that scene.

hodgy100

I played this at EGX last year

the physics are 100% classic sonic and the drop dash only adds to the game :) the level design is also great!

Think I'll need to double dip on this. I want Steam features like achievements and leaderboards, but I also want to play it on the TV and the beautiful Switch screen.

dock

Hyper Potions is only doing the trailer music. Go listen to some in game footage, it's very Sonic.

That's just the trailer music.
If you listen to the music in actual gameplay, you'll see (or rather hear) that the music is fine and Sonic-y.
Mirage Saloon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNQw9MROns
Studiopolis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCrhfeFsJw

Oh, that's a relief. It's weird that they would use such different music, and make no effort to line up the gameplay cuts with the music.

nowarning

I really am so hyped for this. Sonic was pretty much my childhood as I imagine it was for a lot of other people my age, the nostalgia is far too strong.

Kouichi

Man this trailer hit in all the right places. The graphics, the music, the animation, the box-art, it's all so good! I can't wait for this.

SoulUnison

Banned
Wow. Woooooow.
Sonic CD is my favorite 2D Sonic and was essentially my "childhood game."
This trailer...really hit me.

Weird that CD isn't an elevator button at the end, though, since Stardust Speedway is apparently in Mania and CD is where they evolved the animation style from.

Worst release date ever! I will be on vacation the 2 central weeks of august... :

No preorder for me, I will buy it later.

But excited for sure!
Here's what ya gotta do:

1) Get a Switch
2) Buy on Switch
3) Play on vacay while avoiding your significant other and/or family in addition to any and all activities

It's a hard choice to play this on pc or switch, the only thing scaring me away from the switch version is that it's a port by another team, right? I think it will be fine but there is always doubt until it's out.

Aki-at

Really wanted to double dip for this if it was on a portable or Switch because handheld classic Sonic is a treat for me but for now I'll stick with PC.

Animation was great, in another timeline Sonic OVA would have been a massive success and we'd have gotten an entire series out of that... or SEGA wisest up and uses this style to make a series that replaces Sonic Boom!

jobrro

In for this game.

Deciding between PS4 Pro (with Vita remote play) and PC. Also have a Switch but the other two I would prefer.

Could go PS4 and then get it on PC at a deep discount.

Either way excited. Loved. The new trailer. Ignore Sonic 4 I don't blame you and I like Dimps, Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure were great.

Fantastic price for this game. Not far off a retro remake while going SOOOO much further.

Hope it does well and they can make another one down the line.

Ferr986

I'll probably double dip, PS4 and PC. Would do a smartphone version too if they did it (I triple dipped with Sonic CD because best Sonic and all of that, I can play it everywhere :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom