• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the Metascore, we all know there will be some "classic Sonic was never good" hot takes to come out of this and they will be utterly unbearable

After Crash Bandicoot served delicious crow, they really should keep their trash hot takes to themselves

Ferr986

Sonic Mania |OT| A History of Violence

tumblr_mf41vp4z9z1s0se68o1_500.gif

I actually want to play Sonic CD on PC. Is it emulated? I've never gotten the hang of how to use those sega classic games on steam.

No, Sonic CD on Steam is the Taxman port, so remade and with extra content (selectable OST, Tails..).

The song is great. It's a flawlessly executed edgelord anthem. The question is if they went over the top on purpose to take the piss out of it later, or if they actually think it's cool when played straight.

At least with Mania I don't feel the need to question its intentions.

The trailer that introduced Infinite began with black and white footage.

They're absolutely taking the piss out of it.

J@hranimo

Banned
https://youtu.be/q23cNxnnaPw

I'm assuming the Sonic YT channel is live streaming something Mania related?

The music that's playing right now, it was a jazzy remix of the Sonic CD JP/EU boss theme

They do streams every other week or so where they talk about recent Sonic news, merchandise, TV show news, future events etc. Then they play a Sonic game.

They get pretty silly at times but sometimes there are some little tidbits noted here and there.

Falk

that puzzling face
I know I'm beating a dead discussion horse, but it still blows my mind that showing love for something through modding/fan creations is a valid way to get in to the industry. A bunch of insanely dedicated fans that worked on various Sonic hacking feats, fan-music/art, physics bibles and disassemblies finally receiving payoff for their teenage hobbies makes me feel fuzzy inside.

Actually, turn this on its head for a bit, because the reverse is actually amusing to think about. :V

Where would you game think developers come from or get their start/experience otherwise? Grow up not liking games, go to game development school then suddenly end up working in the industry?

Mark1

I'm genuinely wondering how the extra stages will reward the user, a part of me feels this is what replaces the Super Emeralds aspect of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

They do streams every other week or so where they talk about recent Sonic news, merchandise, TV show news, future events etc. Then they play a Sonic game.

They get pretty silly at times but sometimes there are some little tidbits noted here and there.

I just got the notification on YouTube so I was wondering if it was something major.

But they did announce they are releasing one more Sonic Mania track next week so that's cool

Berordn

I'm genuinely wondering how the extra stages will reward the user, a part of me feels this is what replaces the Super Emeralds aspect of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

The talk about it being a coin makes me think you collect them to unlock things like the sound test or art galleries.

A new special stage that's a great looking mixture of Sonic R, Sonic CD and Sonic 3&K had me excited, but BLUE SPHERES is back as well? God, it really does take a few fans to make a better 2D Sonic game than Sonic Team ever will.

Guess Who

Banned
Fingers crossed the Drop Dash gets ROM hacked into every classic Sonic game, because I can already tell they'll be hard to go back to without it.

Some Guy

Rlan

It's a bit odd that Blue Sphere's has a sprite for Sonic, rather than the 3D model. Though I guess that the model makes the Special stage feel "more special"

Also still feel that making a "Blue Spheres Forever" game on mobile would actually work out pretty well. Complete a blue sphere's level to continue to the next planet until you die.

It's a bit odd that Blue Sphere's has a sprite for Sonic, rather than the 3D model. Though I guess that the model makes the Special stage feel "more special"

The music is called "Dimension Heist" and the entry point is a polygonal-model giant ring, so yeah, the 3D shift is definitely the hook of the special stage, heh.

Is this gonna be like classic sonic where you go back to the start when you lose all your lives, or are they gonna do that plus like checkpoints or save states
cause I want to save scum like a bitch!

Loz246789

What is the best Sonic game?

A lot of people will say any of the classic games, some will be cheeky and say the spinoff sonic and all stars racing transformed, and these are both solid choices. Personally I love sonic colors (wii) though, I'd personally call it one of the most consistent sonic games if nothing else, and I happen to enjoy what it offers.

Mark1

What is the best Sonic game?
Sonic 3 and Knuckles. No question. It compares to Mario's greatest games. Still amazing to play these days.

Nothing else comes close. Sonic 2 is a distant second. Generations and Colours are the top of the modern ones for me and not too far behind either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom