• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD Teaser Trailer and Website (fan project)

Adam J. said:
Jesus, this looks perfect. If I was a member of Sonic Team (or Dimps, or whoever) I'd kill myself after seeing this. They are seriously getting school by amateurs and that is incredibly sad.

How exactly? Sonic Team and Dimps are trying to create new, entertaining Sonic games (whether they succeed or not is irrelevant). This is just an upscaling of Sonic 2. They're using the same physics from Sonic 2 as hacked by Sonic CulT and Sonic Retro members, so really there's nothing to be done CREATIVELY in terms of gameplay. It's all just art.

Adam J.

Megadrive said:
How exactly? Sonic Team and Dimps are trying to create new, entertaining Sonic games (whether they succeed or not is irrelevant). This is just an upscaling of Sonic 2. They're using the same physics from Sonic 2 as hacked by Sonic CulT and Sonic Retro members, so really there's nothing to be done CREATIVELY in terms of gameplay. It's all just art.

Eep...I should have known better than to stir up anything in a Sonic thread.

Yeah, you are right though. This is just a remake, but, man, wouldn't it have been nice if Sonic 4 at least had an ounce of the passion and TLC this fan project appears to have?

RagnarokX

Megadrive said:
And an upscaled Sonic 2 being preferred over crap like Sonic 4 just shows how badly Sega is missing the mark. Still I'd say Sonic Fan Remix is a better example since it is actually doing new stuff. New is not intrinsically good. When "new" means terrible physics, shoddy level design, and meh art direction they can keep "new". Not that I don't want new, I just want new that doesn't suck and Sega/Dimps have proven fairly incapable of delivering. Sonic Colors is the best 3D Sonic game in forever but it's long and away from being what I wanted Sonic to become. Still, I had a lot of fun with it and it's a great game that I'd like to see them make more of. I just wish that in addition to that kind of Sonic game they could deliver a traditional-style game at the same time without botching it.

Edit: I was just thinking. If you took Sonic Colors, replaced the boost/slide with spin dash/boost and got rid of those automatic running parts you'd really have something. The boost wasn't even that useful in Colors anyway. Also if they are going to do water levels, I'd prefer underwater platforming to infinitely jumping through vast empty pools. The bosses sucked too. A few tweaks and Sonic Colors could be even better.

I don't know about you guys but I'm still excited for this. Images like these just make me so happy. There's still no demo unfortunately but, again, it's a small team of fans working on this in their spare time.

Buzzer4x.png
BuzzerHD.png

Coconuts4x.png
CoconutsHD.png

Visual-Changelog---Palm-Tree-Concept-Art_03.png

Visual-Changelog---Palm-Tree-Concept-Art_05.png

http://s2hd.sonicretro.org/cl/Visual-Changelog---Badniks.html
http://s2hd.sonicretro.org/cl/Visual-Changelog---Palm-Tree-Concept-Art.html

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Even if it's just yet another in a long list of fan projects that never get made, I'll love them just for all the artwork being done.

Top Bottom