• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Wow!

Strange, isn't it?

At long last, SonicGAF is whole.

Welcome back. I actually did a quick search for you when Stump broke the news, but it seemed like you'd pretty well dropped off the face of the internet. Guess not! We've got this whole thread to talk about green eyes in now, it's great.

There's a number of comic fans here, even if Worlds Collide managed to kill discussion for a while.

BTW, did you read Pirate Plunder Panic? Great story and the best portration of Blaze I've seen.

Eeeeeeh. It was a fun little romp, but writing isn't Yardley's day job. I'm almost certain that the entire reason that arc had the writer and location that it did was because Ian was suddenly busy throwing out all of his plans and writing up an all new continuity, so Yardley got to fill the gap in the one place that wasn't effected.

Sciz is the Royal Bard.

Let me sing you the song of my people.

Beef sings it badly.

Tizoc

OK i have a confession to make:
I forgot how to beat Eggman in Green Hill act 3 without losing rings. I know I gotta time my jump and hold forward but I ALWAYS get hit by the iron ball.

BHZ Mayor

I forgot how to beat Eggman in Green Hill act 3 without losing rings. I know I gotta time my jump and hold forward but I ALWAYS get hit by the iron ball.

Are you jumping as the ball comes toward you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acNyNC_bCc&t=25s

It's actually harder than it looks to get those back to back hits like that. I usually wait on the ground for the ball to pass before jumping on the platform for another hit.

Beef, heads up, the "Mechanical Resonance ...for Final Egg" link is busted.

Also a fan of the crazy harp breakdown on the loop.
Is that a harp? I always thought of it as a piano.

Wow!

Strange, isn't it?

So, I just heard the news today (from a conversation at GameStop no less). As it has been so many years since I've been here (for the record, I never once made an alt account), it will take some time before I am totally comfortable posting again; I need to get re-acclimated with the site (so, so different), old friends (which hopefully are still around), and a new ToS and rules (which will be carefully read and re-read, and re-read again). Time sometimes changes things, and though I have fallen out of love with the game series a bit since 2010, I am engrossed in the Sonic Archieverse as much as ever and would be thrilled to participate in such discussions (and Ken Penders' misdeeds)! Issue 252 marked a new beginning, one that I'd love to be a part of in discussion.

Well, time for this dude to send some PMs and read up some more.
vlcsnap-00115.jpg

Mr. Huuueleeeen. Welcome baaaaaack.

We've missed you.

All of the new Sonic VA cast is so much better than any they've had before. The SA/SA2 cast was alright but these new guys take it up a notch. I wish Knuckles would get more screentime cause his voice is my favourite of the bunch.
I agree with all but Cindy Robinson as Amy Rose. All she's doing is imitating Minnie Mouse and adding it to Amy. Lisa Ortiz has a much better vocal range with the character.
Agreed with both of these.

And yes, I want to see more Travis Willingham as Knuckles, too. Although thinking about it, Knuckles' personality has really changed lately, hasn't it? He used to be the comically serious one, but now he's all buddy-buddy. I almost kind of want to see what Willingham could do with a serious Knuckles (seeing as he pulled off Roy Mustang so well).

I dunno who the Court Jester is yet.
5b8b10354a1c2dd3ad5e97f9807458f3.jpeg

I told you guys that was why I didn't think Unleashed's voice segments were crappy. I played the darn thing in Japanese and it was probably for the best since the seiyuu nailed Chip quite well.
It helps that Chip's Japanese VA seems to fit a small body like that, whereas Chip's English VA is basically Silver.

I can sing too

If it helps, you can nab an invincibility box just before that boss fight and just wail on him; the box should last JUST long enough to take him out

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FedEx finally came a short while ago before I had to go pick something up, lol.

ba0gh3gcyaa4lmbenz3a.jpg

The 3DS LL feels very nice. Very round and more ergonomic. I like the bigger screens because I'm not squinting as much (which is huge for me since 1) lazy eye, 2) bad eyesight in general). Since I'm left-handed, the stylus being on the right side feels weird to me. Je n'aime pas, but then again, Nintendo seems to dislike us lefties now :V. I'm happy that it didn't come with its own AC adapter, actually, because it reduces the clutter around here.

Yeah, I gotta agree. Past few Sonic scripts weren't very strong. And I think I've made a decision after listening to Drummond's SA VA: I'm waxing nostalgia hardcore. That was pretty bad. Maybe it's as good as I remember it in 2 and Heroes?
Probably not
I always felt like Ryan Drummond's Sonic had poor vocal colour. There was something very... velar about his voice that wasn't to my liking at all. Also, he can sound as flat as a piece of wood at times.

Agreed with both of these.

And yes, I want to see more Travis Willingham as Knuckles, too. Although thinking about it, Knuckles' personality has really changed lately, hasn't it? He used to be the comically serious one, but now he's all buddy-buddy. I almost kind of want to see what Willingham could do with a serious Knuckles (seeing as he pulled off Roy Mustang so well).
Knuckles is supposed to be comic relief as opposed to a serious sort of character. I guess they took the joke that he's naive and ran with it. In turn, they've made the character remarkably one-note.

Beef couldn't sing anyway. I still like this take from Project Chaos.

Knuckles is supposed to be comic relief as opposed to a serious sort of character. I guess they took the joke that he's naive and ran with it. In turn, they've made the character remarkably one-note.
I don't really think that's entirely true, given how he was handled in the two Adventure games. I liked his characterization there, even if having the Master Emerald smashed in two mainline games in a row was a little dumb. It's just that ever since he's basically totally abandoned Angel Island, his presence hasn't really had a whole lot of purpose, and his characterization drastically fell in quality alongside that.

Tizoc

There's an invincibilty box before the boss battle? I never knew that o_O.

So I just read Sonic #255. Art was pretty weak, if it were one of the regular artists I may have enjoyed the issue a lot more, but otherwise Ian's writing saved it.

The comic section is probably gonna stay the same unless I get that PM from you, Tizoc. Also, can you post that banner again Sciz? I figure I might as well use it. Schala's Sonic Boom info is short and sweet, so I could easily fit it in there.

BHZ Mayor

I guess they had to change Pic-, I mean Knuckles' character since Vege-, I mean Shadow took up the serious rival role. Also, none of the supporting characters have really had much purpose ever since Sega's shifted their focus to Sonic (and maybe Tails) and no one else.

Wow!

Strange, isn't it?

So, I just heard the news today (from a conversation at GameStop no less). As it has been so many years since I've been here (for the record, I never once made an alt account), it will take some time before I am totally comfortable posting again; I need to get re-acclimated with the site (so, so different), old friends (which hopefully are still around), and a new ToS and rules (which will be carefully read and re-read, and re-read again). Time sometimes changes things, and though I have fallen out of love with the game series a bit since 2010, I am engrossed in the Sonic Archieverse as much as ever and would be thrilled to participate in such discussions (and Ken Penders' misdeeds)! Issue 252 marked a new beginning, one that I'd love to be a part of in discussion.

Well, time for this dude to send some PMs and read up some more.

Welcome back, Huelen! We have never met before, but after the announcement that you were unbanned, I thought I'd say something regardless. :)

FedEx finally came a short while ago before I had to go pick something up, lol.

ba0gh3gcyaa4lmbenz3a.jpg

schala ur such a gurl with that pink 3ds

Tizoc

Beef here's what I wrote for the comics section, sadly I have like 0 knowledge of the UK comics atm hence why I didn't include them, let me know if there's more I can add or correct.

The older issues of the Archie comics are collected in Sonic Archives, each book collecting an average of 4 issues
Vol. 0 collects the miniseries that predates the main comic
It should be noted that the comic contiuned some plots points from the SATAM cartoon.

Otherwise, the single issues can be purchased through Archie's website.
http://archieretail.iverseapps.com/

Ian Flynn's run on the series begins with #160, however 160 and 161 are not collected in TPB form yet, but Archie had begun collecting his run in TPB format under the Sonic Saga title.
Vol. 1 on Amazon, Vol. 5 is expected to be released next year.

Sonic Universe is the current sister series focusing on other characters and are 4 issues per arc:
Sure the first book stars Shadow, but it's good and fun

After some legal issues with former writer Ken Penders, Archie decided to reboot the series and fortunately its turned out for the best. With that in mind, it begs the question of where a good starting point is for reading the series.
You've got one of 2 options:
Either start reading from when Ian started writing on the series, but keep in mind the early issues had him cleaning up and getting rid of elements and characters that were introduced to the series prior to his tenure as the writer on the series (such as Eggman's AI children, who I personally liked, but then again it might've been due to how Ian wrote the characters). As such there will be various referenes to events that occured in the series from years ago, but you don't have to read them.

Alternatively, you can start with Worlds Collide, the Sonic and Megaman comic series cross-over story. It mainly involves the characters from the video games and can be enjoyed even if you've never read the Sonic comics before.
Sadly Vol. 1 is the only one releasing soon, with the later TPBs releasing 2-3 months apart

Afterwards you can either start reading from Sonic 252 onwards or wait for this TPB to be released, though there's no set date for that yet sadly.

Welcome back Huelen!

Might as well get a post in before the end of the thread.

Oh, all you aspiring fangamers not already aware, the Humble Weekly Sale includes the standard version of MMF2, as a BELOW average buy even. It's never been this cheap. And if you want, you can upgrade to the brand new v 2.5 with Box2D support for $39 after that, completely legitimate.

There's several framework engines available for crafting Sonic games, for example the Sonic Worlds engine. You've just got to learn how they're structured, then insert ideas. Or just remake Green Hill, whatever floats your boat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dammit, Coldman. Stop scaring people away, holy crap. :mad:

Tizoc, I hope you don't mind me editing that post. I need to reduce some of those character sizes that the links take up. I do think you should write an introduction for the comic series or tell Beef what to keep or what not to keep in the OP. This is the cleaned-up version with tinyurls added, so Beef should use this one.

worldscollide_sonic_bkuym0.png

"The older issues of the Archie comics are collected in the Sonic Archives, each book collecting an average of 4 issues. Vol. 0 collects the miniseries that predates the main comic. It should be noted that the comic continued some remaining plot threads from the Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM) cartoon while maintaining some of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog's comedy at the beginning. Otherwise, the single issues can be purchased through Archie's website, Comixology, Archie's own iOS/Android app, and from Google Play.

Recent writer, and generally lauded, Ian Flynn's run on the series begins with Issue #160. However, neither #160 nor #161 are collected in TPB form yet. With that said, Archie has begun to compile Flynn's run of the comics under the 'Sonic Saga" branding in TPB format. The first volume can be purchased here, with Volume 5 being expected to release next year.

Sonic Universe is the current sister series focusing on other characters and are generally written as 4-issue arcs. Although the first arc stars Shadow the Hedgehog, it was generally a well-written arc that demonstrated the usefulness of the Sonic Universe branding, and also showcased Flynn's writing skills. Other characters that aren't generally seen as strong, such as Silver the Hedgehog, also gain a more positive outlook via the writing.

After some legal issues surrounding former writer Ken Penders, Archie decided to reboot the series and fortunately it has turned out for the best. With that in mind, it begs the question of where a good starting point is for reading the series. There are a few options to keep in mind:
  • Begin reading from when Ian Flynn started writing for the series at #160. Though, you should bear in mind that the earlier issues involved him trying to clean up and bin elements and characters introduced to the series prior to his tenure (ex: Eggman's AI children). There are various references to certain events that occurred years ago that new readers may not get.
  • Begin reading from the Sonic Genesis Arc, generally seen as a very easy way to step into the series, as it ties into the game series, while introducing the comic characters for newcomers.
  • You can start with Worlds Collide, the Sonic and Mega Man crossover miniseries. It mainly involves the characters from the video games and can be enjoyed even if you've never read neither the Sonic nor Mega Man comics before. Vol. 1 is being released on December 10th, 2013, with the other volumes being released 2-3 months beyond this volume and each other.
  • Afterwards/Alternatively you can either start reading from Sonic 252 onwards or wait for this TPB to be released, though there's no set date for that yet sadly.

Edited links so Beef can actually add it into the OP without running out of characters, as some of those links are 140+ characters long, and posts only allow for 24000. If anyone else has anything to add to this to clean up the prose, and I think we should add stuff for Sonic the Comic since there are Europeans in this thread, someone should take care of that accordingly.

So the To-Do List:
- Someone write a section for Sonic the Comic
- Tizoc should probably write a sentence to introduce the Sonic the Hedgehog (StH) comic in general or tell Beef what to keep or what not to keep in the OP.

OMG Aero

So the To-Do List:
- Someone write a section for Sonic the Comic
- Tizoc should probably write a sentence to introduce the Sonic the Hedgehog (StH) comic in general or tell Beef what to keep or what not to keep in the OP.
I will write a section for Sonic the Comic if you are ok with the section just being a single sentence saying it is better than the Archie comic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

PKrockin

While I didn't enjoy Sonic 4 very much myself, I disagrees it having a spot on that list. Secret Rings on the other hand...
At least his co-staffers had the good judgment to recognize that abomination as the sin against humanity it is. Black Knight is a little better in just about every aspect so I'm not sure why one would consider it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom