• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

forces has a lot to live up to as the successor to generations

especially in the soundtrack department

eh.....
Not really?

Like i like sonic generations gameplay, but the boss battles were ass, the characters when they were finally used were kind of ass. The story was unfortunately ass, because that video game very much felt like they didn't get to finish several ideas. I thought the idea for the hubworld was uninspired, I felt like as a thing representing sonic there was a lot of it missing. A lot of the side content was.. nothing .

Like, if they can make a game that plays like generations, with all those things improved, it can easily be better than generations.

The plus about sonic generations is that the 3d gameplay was good and getting from level to level was engaging and easy. It had one really good thing and a bunch of bad things that didn't bring it down ( besides the boss fights) , if they improve on the bad parts that's easily surpassing generations.

Falk

that puzzling face
:lol

Is there any footage of VGO performing those two online, by chance?

VGO's done Endless Possibility all of once; there may be phone camera recordings of that, but it was some time back. The Tokyo version will be an updated arrangement. City Escape is all-new. Streaming nope, recording maybe.

What makes it even more amusing is I believe Ohtani-san and possibly Senoue-san will be in attendance and are completely aware of what we're doing. (I love you still Sergio)

forces has a lot to live up to as the successor to generations

especially in the soundtrack department

Do people actually remember Generations soundtrack outside of the remixes? Serious question.

I was about to say, as great as Gens soundtrack was that was all remixes, the new tracks consisted of Time Eater (disappointing) and ummm...the white world hub when you're by the shop? (earworm jingle).
It'd be hard for Gens to have dropped that ball outside of getting some Sonic GBA and Dark Brotherhood calibre remixes.

I maintain that Time Eater's theme was actually quite good, though I was just psyched to get new music from Richard Jacques in general. I'm a huge sucker for his Saturn Sonic work, and while I wouldn't put Time Eater's theme on the same level as his Rusty Ruins work, I still greatly enjoy it.

Time Eater the fight, though...

OMG Aero

The strange thing about the Time Eater boss music is that a few weeks after Generations was released Sega put out an album for Sonic CD's 20 Anniversary that included a Crush40 version of Sonic Boom, which would have been the perfect song for that boss fight. But nope, let's just have generic boss music instead.

Sciz

He recognizes that alternate playstyles probably exist for budgetary reasons (and also gets a "lazy devs" shot in) and then abandons that thread of logic in favor of the "they're doing it for nostalgia and because they don't really believe in boost" argument.

3D Sonic is always going to be either renting space with another game that can share the assets, or much slower paced and ergo less intensive to produce. Classic Sonic is, by a hilariously wide margin, the most successful approach they've found to date for the former, and the last game they tried with the latter tactic bombed. So we're getting fast games with a 2D sideshow.

Village

I also don't agree with his notion of confidence, I think its more something he casually mentioned in the video . Rather sega might not understand... why people like certain aspects of its franchise. I feel like this apparent by some statements given from sega reps, one from ruby eclipse no less. Where it feels like sega doesn't understand why people like some of the things they like. I think that's why a lot of lost world, and a lot of boom tbh ended up the way it is.

That's just me though.

Village

I just had a thought

Is Sonic Forces a sequel to Sonic Chronicles ��

Sega doesn't seem to care about chronicles.

Sega also has an incentive to care less because of mutual dear friend Ken.

Speaking of the comics, shit ain't looking so hot.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=233002369#post233002369

d96.jpg

Village

Last I checked you're still an unironic Shadow fan so you can take several seats.

Yeah, he's the greatest. What about it it? Hero to all. Dude killed his family, a true hero.

Last time I checked you hate chao and good video games. Sir, you should be sitting at all times. The weight of your bad choices should be weighting you down constantly.

MAtgS

Sega doesn't seem to care about chronicles.

Sega also has an incentive to care less because of mutual dear friend Ken.

Speaking of the comics, shit ain't looking so hot.

If anything, it's amazing the comic has lasted as long as it did considering what a magnet for problems the whole SatAM/Archie/Mobius mythos has been:

-Cancellation of SatAM by Disney wanting to free up time slots for their own programing.
-An attempt to re-jump start Season 3 ends up becoming Sonic Underground instead because of royalties that could be made off of the songs.
-Ken Penders fucking up Ben Hurst's intentions to get a movie made.
-Sega not bothering to adapt any facet of western Sonic media beyond chili dogs.
-The years long feud between SoJ & SoA, which probably fuels a lot of the above.
-Ben Hurst's death in 2010.
-The 5 year gap between S3&K to SA1 (an eternity to kids) that had many within Archie thinking the comic would end without a show or games to back it up.
-Sonic Chronicles being the 1st game (outside of Spinball & MBM) to even vaguely implement ideas from the comics (if not the actual characters). Ends up becoming Bio-Ware 1st critical flop.
-EVERYTHING KEN PENDERS!
--Being a shitty hack writer that made the comic nearly unbearable for many years.
--Somehow wins a lawsuit thanks to Archie's incompetence & a freak fire destroying vital documents.
--What little chances of a Chronicles 2 is shot dead by Penders suing over that as well.
--Comic forced to strip away any characters that isn't Game/SatAM/AoStH, making it completely impossible to continue any of the then ongoing storylines & forcing a reboot.
-Additional Sega tightens the restrictions what the comic can do with game characters more & more, keeping in line with Sega's own general dumbing down of the franchise's world since Colors.
-Sonic Boom being created to be the flagship western-focused off-shoot. As opposed to oh say, elevating the previous western off-shoot that was still going after 20 years.

Did I miss anything there? The Mobius mythos is the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished" taken to the extreme. It's God's great running gag.

The reboot has felt like a pale shadow of Ian's prior run. 3+ years of game adaptations after game adaptations (no, I do not want to read an issue adapting Sonic CD, I already did that over 20 years ago) & every new character introduced now is as indistinguishable from deviantart fancharacters as it gets. SatAM cast might still be there but the spirit of SatAM isn't, not in the slightest anymore. There were just too many hits to stay standing anymore.

Village

• You missed him and bollers having beef whilst writing the comics, and expressing that through the comics and making it worse.
  • You missed him having to be forced by sega to write sega sonic characters in more stories, like shadow specifically for example because he was so obsessed with his terrible stories that he couldn't even understand he was writing a comic about a video game character for children
  • While you vaguely addressed this in the comic being unbearable, you didn't go into depth about that. While yes lawsuits played apart in the reboot, from what we understand now this reboot was a long time coming. The comic had gotten to far away from the source material along with generally being too inappropriate for the audience it was for. And throwing main game sega characters, including sonic and tails under a buss and even making them rather disgusting characters for a time. Not to mention all the generally sexist stuff.
  • Also worlds unite, that giant clusterfuck.
Outside of that, yeah you pretty much got everything. You might be like " this falls under hack writers" I would argue there is so much hack that you need individual points for it. Also To be fair, I don't think chronicles 2 was gonna happen anyway. It was going to be one of many sequels that sega got made but another branch might have not cared for so, no sequel. Ontop of it not being the best game in the world.

I do agree with you , that the story telling in the reboot is not the best. Universe is great, has been the better comic since... its conception. But after the reboot the main book feel behind, a they tried to keep too much from the old continuity and the book suffers from that, the FF's have yet to actually like justified a compelling existence and why they couldn't be replace by a rotation of sonic's friends from the games or new characters entirely. Not to mention the horrible " world building " that could have been handled with much better pacing and visual story telling, and the last years dedicated to making a story about the werehog and chip. Because that's a good idea, that totally didn't hemerage readers so hard you had to end the story early.

However, the character design has been on point. The character design before the reboot was largely garbage and didn't fit the series.Now they look unified and quite good the new characters, so good they make the survivors from reboot look worse. Especially the FF, except bunny. Even with updates they don't feel like " sonic designs" they feel like generic animal character. These new characters allow for more unified designs to feel like they fit in a unified world, I genuinely like that. I wish the sonic boom team took a lesson from the character designers in the books, because their background characters and supporting characters actually look interesting. The two Deer that eggman have on the squad are like my favorite sonic designs since shadow. And Shadow is my favorite character. Ontop of that , while the over all story telling ( particularly in the main book) has been butts. The character development in a lot of cases have been pretty solid , the new characters at least. Or characters that we haven't seen in so long that they might as well be knew like breezie. And all sega characters not named sonic or cream have actually changed in interesting ways become more interesting and developed something we haven't actually seen in the games in quite some time.

That doesn't excuse everything else, Ian did choose to focus the main book on a bad story with uninteresting characters for several years. ( Though to be fair one of those years a lot of spent was writing a bad crossover he was forced to write) . And if the comic were to end, like rumors suggest soon. The only finished story will be ... the bad unleashed story, and not any of the actually interesting plot threads that he started up, in some plan that was far too grandiose for his own good. And while attempts are great , I have to grade you with what you have. And that's and its not a good grade. Sega didn't force him to write unleashed, sega didn't force him and that other writer to write a story trying to keep the memories of the pre-reboot and waste time on something that lead to nothing. Sega didn't force him to write and pace out poor world building elements dragging on for years at a time. Writing staff choose to do that. I don't think sega's restrictions hurt the comic, for the most part. I think they have made it much much better. I think the lack luster post reboot is a result of ian trying to tell a long grand story with out laying any ground work or rather using that story as ground work . And the reason universe has been so good is that all its been is ground work, the actually progression of story has been so focused on the main book all the universe stories end up as set ups for stories later, laying ground work, and those stories turn out much better. They might not be finished , making that all pointless, but they turned out better.

To end this rather long response, i'll leave off with something a professor told me. I gotta thank that guy on graduation day, i'm graduating in the spring! Anyhow, guy said this changed my life " No one gives a shit about your stories, you have to convince people to give a shit about your stories". And I don't think Ian ever did that with the main book, with the side books he had limited time space he whether purposeful or not had to. But in the main book he had time, he could tell a long story, but never actually bothered to explain why we should care about it.

Village

Oh well the editor at the time, like the guy they brought in for worlds unite... wasn't the best. Let me direct my criticism to the correct place, that had to be one of the most backwards decisions the comic has made in quite a while. The reboot was a great thing that got rid of a lot of just bad and uninteresting lore that plagued the book before, but this decision just wouldn't let go of that. It was still attached to the bafoonery... and then it lead to nothing the memories didn't matter and went away.
It was like phantom that rose from the ground trying to drag the comic down one more time.

There are somethings i miss about the pre-reboot. The only good member of the acorn family , the only good non knuckles echidina lein da. Enerjak was kinda tight, and the chaos force as a concept... and I can't think of much else. But outside of that very minimal list. The net gain of just throwing all that shit in the garbage, the echidina's quite literally thanks to thrash , is immense. But they couldn't let go of it clean, one more dying breath I guess. I think some more should have gotten thown in there, like sally , and rotor, and Nicole she's already a digital file you can just throw her in the recycling bin and delete the files. Delete them live on stream.

MAtgS

• However, the character design has been on point. The character design before the reboot was largely garbage and didn't fit the series.Now they look unified and quite good the new characters, so good they make the survivors from reboot look worse. Especially the FF, except bunny. Even with updates they don't feel like " sonic designs" they feel like generic animal character.

• Eh, I actually like Sally's redesign for the most part. Antoine admittedly is a strange design choice: it calls too much attention to males being underdressed compared to the women.

Village

Why does the olympic games have an ass remix of flying battery zone, makes me upset

Eh, I actually like Sally's redesign for the most part. Antoine admittedly is a strange design choice: it calls too much attention to males being underdressed compared to the women.

While I also have beef with the boys can't wear clothes... because? Thing that even permeated the development of sonic boom.

To keep it brief, because I had a longer thing her about visual design i'm sure you don't give to shits about. Her hair is the most interesting color she has on her whole body, and its only relegated to one area, she looks rather dull, and her hair doesn't actually look like its apart of body, it looks like a wig, that can fall off at any moment. Like if sonic ran with her it would just fly off. Her outfit added blue, but that doesn't really fix her dull design. Amy, Rouge, and Blaze have worn multiple outsits and they all work because their designs are already visually interesting. A fancy , shorts and boots can't fix how basic she is.

Falk

that puzzling face
Guys, it's time to come clean. I've been working on the music for a game where the main character goes fast and begins with S and it's S _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ and it's finally finished.

Spark the Electric Jester's backer build went out yesterday, Steam release this week

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Guys, it's time to come clean. I've been working on the music for a game where the main character goes fast and begins with S and it's S _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ and it's finally finished.

Spark the Electric Jester's backer build went out yesterday, Steam release this week

Cool! Liked the demo a lot so I'm ready.

Village

That's dope.

MAtgS

To keep it brief, because I had a longer thing her about visual design i'm sure you don't give to shits about. Her hair is the most interesting color she has on her whole body, and its only relegated to one area, she looks rather dull, and her hair doesn't actually look like its apart of body, it looks like a wig, that can fall off at any moment. Like if sonic ran with her it would just fly off. Her outfit added blue, but that doesn't really fix her dull design. Amy, Rouge, and Blaze have worn multiple outsits and they all work because their designs are already visually interesting. A fancy , shorts and boots can't fix how basic she is.

*shrugs* Well someone had to be the brown one after all the other colors were taken.

Village

*shrugs* Well someone had to be the brown one after all the other colors were taken.

But like, marine and Sticks are brown, and use other colors and interesting shape in designs in their fur to help make that look decent.

Sally has neither of those things, and the only interesting color she has, the red on her head, looks like a wig that is going to fall off.

At least she isn't rotor though, rotor is the worst

Regiruler

What is the last word "supposed" to be?

Sciz

Sally has neither of those things, and the only interesting color she has, the red on her head, looks like a wig that is going to fall off.

It's not readily apparent from the angles she's usually drawn at, but the redesign extended the red to cover her entire back from her ears to her tail.

su_73_sally_behindrppln.png

Village

I've noticed, in the least weird way to say that

But I wish the red was more incorporated into her design more. There's something neat there, but it isn't visually interesting at all. I had actually forgotten, thank you for reminding me. And the hair on her head looks really like... hair , and kind of doesn't look connected to that part, like if there was a design where that naturaly flowed together, I would be with it. It doesn't look like something cohesive with the rest of her design, it looks like " this is the hair part".

I feel like her design leaves a lot to be desired,she isn't as bad as her design used to be, but she is still rather basic.

Ya'll hear about the other comic cancellations, apparently Mega drive is done from what I understand. Woof.

Top Bottom