• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog's new PR person is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm confused, why would trans people be upset over an otherkin joke? I've only ever heard hate from trans people towards otherkin(especially those who identify as inanimate objects) for making trans people seem like a joke.

"You say you're a woman/man? Then I'm *insert animal or object here"

Is commonly used against trans people, or at least used to be. I've seen a lot less of it this past year though.

Salbug

Ok.
I care because it did offend people. While I doubt it intended to, it still did.
With making this a thing you teach the guy running the account to think about his jokes a little more and show others that it isn't really cool to say this stuff. If you think that is "absurd" or "cheapens" then go ahead. It's ok to make mistakes, along with being mature enough to apologies for them.

Pretty much this. ^

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It isn't? Hmm I did not want to say Trans since I know some transgender people who find that somewhat offensive. So whats the plural form of transgender?

Not sure why Trans would be offensive? It would really just be transgender still to fix your message it would be:
Going to be honest, I do not really see the issue since I highly doubt the intent was to make fun of transgender people/individuals/etc.

Transgendered People.

Otherwise you could say a group of tall people were talls.
This is also wrong.

Not sure why Trans would be offensive? It would really just be transgender still to fix your message it would be:

This is also wrong.

No idea either but wasn't going to argue, if it offended them it offended them, and I would be an asshole if I kept using it in front of them so it became habit I guess.

Because it has a sort of 'boy who cried wolf' psychological effect in the general public. There is no black-and-white dividing line between people who think one way vs another. More people will take something (like the problems trans people face in society to day) seriously if they perceive the instances of it that are highlighted to actually be serious. It's in some ways illogical. If I show you 10 instances that are serious and 10 that are not, vs showing you JUST 10 serious instances, you should logically conclude in both cases that there really IS a problem, since in both cases I showed you 10 serious instances. But people just don't do that, they have heuristics that lead them to believe that the relative incidence (50% vs 100%) matters.

Actually these "heuristics" make a lot of sense. Point one, some non-serious problems are simply considered unreasonable to avoid and thus undermine your argument. Point two, one selecting non-serious examples amongst others undermines their own credibility (because normally one'd be expected to specifically focus on serious problems). I wouldn't be surprised if there's more of these.

GamerJM

Banned
Hopefully he apologizes. The joke is really offensive, even if he probably didn't mean it to be.

Also, even if it was "making fun of otherkin," and not directed towards trans people (even though it absolutely has been in the past) do you really think making fun of 13 year olds on Tumblr is worth the potential misunderstanding that people could have?

Simbabbad

Because it has a sort of 'boy who cried wolf' psychological effect in the general public. There is no black-and-white dividing line between people who think one way vs another. More people will take something (like the problems trans people face in society to day) seriously if they perceive the instances of it that are highlighted to actually be serious. It's in some ways illogical. If I show you 10 instances that are serious and 10 that are not, vs showing you JUST 10 serious instances, you should logically conclude in both cases that there really IS a problem, since in both cases I showed you 10 serious instances. But people just don't do that, they have heuristics that lead them to believe that the relative incidence (50% vs 100%) matters.

I think there is often this false notion in the SJW crowd of "Well, we don't care about THOSE backward people" but there isn't a "THOSE" people, it's just a continuum of people and a trade-off between what actions you want to focus on as serious in your message and how many people will take the message seriously as a result. Finding the right balance is key. You can't ignore serious actions , and you can't highlight actions where most people will think "this is not really a problem". Because they will casually apply the "this is not really a problem" mentality to instances that really are a problem.
This, exactly.

Otherkin are acceptable targets. Doesn't matter if a lot of them are young depressed people with identity issues, they will always just be the butt of a joke to a lot of people.
Poking fun at someone's unreasonable obsession isn't "targeting" people. If you poke fun at someone's OCD, are you mocking that person?

Orayn

Poking fun at someone's unreasonable obsession isn't "targeting" people. If you poke fun at someone's OCD, are you mocking that person?

Unless they're your friend and they're okay with what you're saying, absolutely. People with OCD are often extremely self-conscious about it and embarrassed by it, so poking fun at it is definitely insulting them.

Making fun of someone for being really picky/fussy about something, which you may be talking about, doesn't involve OCD.

Well I suppose when your main social media direction is dependent on DANK MAYMZ, it's inevitable you're going to spout something connected to the shitty underbelly of the internet.

The kind of "STOP TRIGGERING ME, I IDENTIFY AS A PURPLE RACCOON, CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE SHITLORD, KEK" brand of ironic "humor" to my knowledge is pretty much the bread and butter of boring gamergate types who were raised on /v/ and /pol/ and whine on twitter about how political correctness is causing white genocide or some nonsense like that.
Even if there was no malicious intention, it doesn't take much research to find out it's not a good look to have at all, especially if you're the official twitter for a franchise popular with children the world over. It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I can see why some are upset about it.
Just my 2 cents.

going to have to agree that it was completely unintentional. it's a sonic page that routinely makes fun of the weirder side of sonics fanbase so the intent was at 'otherkin' or whatever you want to call it.

but hey many jokes offend to some degree and I personally believe if you can't laugh at yourself then that's your loss. Though of course if this 'was' (it wasn't, that would be stubborn beyond belief) inciting some hatred towards the LGBT community then yes i would agree but it didnt single out anything remotely related to that given the context of the twitter page.

Simbabbad

Well that would depend on if they have casual, goofy "OCD" or actual clinically diagnosed OCD.
There's no clear distinction between the two. People who had life-breaking OCD and got it cured or limited through various therapy (including brain surgery) still have occasional OCD. OCD itself is silly any way you look at it, which does not imply the people suffering from it are silly, obviously. Joking about a disease isn't necessarily making of people suffering from it, if anything, it creates a distinction between them and the disease. Sanctifying it is IMO a wrong idea, even if obviously it depends on context and what is said.

In our case here, if he was poking fun as "otherkins", I don't think it's a harsh joke.

Rhysser

Banned
Then what do we call it? People say "that's so gay" or call people "fags" without meaning any ill will towards gay people but we still rightfully call it casual homophobia.

I disagree that we 'rightfully' call it homophobia, even if people DO call it that. Equating real homophobes who really have bad intentions toward gay people with people who may be unaware that something is offensive is being way too generous to real homophobes. It makes the word homophobe be far less negative if unintended mistakes fall under its umbrella.

If someone makes a mistake and says something wrong, and I call that person a casual liar implying that he meant to do that, it is both extremely generous toward actual liars and very stingy toward the person who is just making a mistake. I think again, the SJW crowd often doesn't appreciate this and feels that if we just call EVERYONE on the continuum a homophobe/racist/transphobe, it will make them change their behavior, but I think probably it will just make people think it's inevitable that everyone is those things and therefore there is no reason to try to change.

SoulUnison

Banned
Mephiles was right after all, Sonic IS the Iblis Trigger!

Ah, Sonic '06.

The game where Trunks the Hedgehog comes back from the future to stop Sonic from accidently proving Islam.
Also, Crisis City might as well be called "The 9/11 Zone."

Generations even proves pretty irrefutably that "Crisis City" is absolutely New York City with street signs indicating "Central Park."

something something Iblis Trigger Warning

Iblis Triggered.

Personally, I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. I've always thought that Otherkin are basically just like furries and bronies: internet punching bags that everyone can laugh at. Mocking them has nothing to do with mocking trans and to put the two at the same level seems more insulting to trans than anything.

I've never heard of anyone getting offended at "Mayonnaise is not a gender", or at least not anyone to be taken seriously. Then again, that's just me.

Still, I'm sure this will blow over soon enough provided he doesn't post any similar jokes. These things never last a few days.

TimmiT

I don't think the Sonic tweet was offensive, but it's probably a bad thing when it gets the attention of people like this:

BImKurs.png

I wasn't even talking about this in that quoted tweet.

Of course not really Ruby's fault that it got the attention of people who actually try to offend, but he should probably try to avoid attracting that crowd in the future. And also not end tweets with "check your privilege".

Maedhros

In the 21st century you just don't make jokes about race, gender, religion, color...

I wonder how it'll be on the next century...

The account should just release an apology and move on.

Maybe'll I'll continue to come see the funny twitters on this thread then.

NotLiquid

I don't think the Sonic tweet was offensive, but it's probably a bad thing when it gets the attention of people like this:

Of course not really Ruby's fault that it got the attention of people who actually try to offend, but he should probably try to avoid attracting that crowd in the future. And also not end tweets with "check your privilege".

The mentality reminds me a bit of the reason Dave Chappelle cancelled Chappelle's Show. At some point with that kind of brand humor, certain people will stop laughing with you and eventually laugh at you, no matter how smart the joke might be. For him he was starting to fear whether or not people ultimately got the point.

Granted, in this context the joke was so low brow that the line was even more blurred.

Simbabbad

or,
comedy at the expense of someone's race or religion is shitty
Is Punch-Out!! making fun of Glass Joe with French clichés, or Japanese, or Russians, or pretty much everybody, "shitty"? Or is it hilarious because it's tongue in cheek and good fun?

Because I'm French and I find Punch-Out!! hilarious. Recently, people were killed in my country because they made fun of a religion. Where does it end?

Outrage culture really has gone too far.

Yes. It's almost becoming a bit of a "boy who cried wolf" situation these days.

Only if by 'outrage', you mean the type where gamers are angry because Capcom removed a buttslap, or the type where Sony has a PS+ month containing only indie games.

I believe Sonic dude didn't mean any harm by using that reference, but the reference itself has a history of harm and ignorance, so it's perfectly fine for people to point that out.

Also, sorry for double post.

Is Punch-Out!! making fun of Glass Joe with French clichés, or Japanese, or Russians, or pretty much everybody, "shitty"? Or is it hilarious because it's tongue in cheek and good fun?

Because I'm French and I find Punch-Out!! hilarious. Recently, people were killed in my country because they made fun of a religion. Where does it end?
To some people I bet it does and they have every right to think so. Just because something was meant to be good natured fun doesn't mean it actually is.

Simbabbad

To some people I bet it does and they have every right to think so. Just because something was meant to be good natured fun doesn't mean it actually is.
What a fantastic world you want people to live in. I remark you put in bold how offensive you think Punch-Out!! is, but don't care about people recently killed for a joke.

You attitude actually militates against the cause you think you're defending. You've already lost.

MrBadger

I'd have to agree with this. It'd be great if we could move past Sonic Twitter's unfortunate tweet, but it makes my heart sink thinking about how he's now resonated with the "lol SJW's" crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom