• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog's new PR person is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

He'll have to make some, first.

Like that Shadow FB post. Assuming that's new.

Its a cute post.

Though on a sonic related note, shadow has this animation in I think both sonic racing games where he's adjusting his... hair? Quills? whilst he is driving. I assumed shadow does his hair, its why his hair stays up. If he didn't it would go down.

Weird thing.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how much people could get worked up over a Twitter account for a 90's video game mascot. Hopefully there is a modicum of self awareness in some of the more serious comments.

I'm pretty amazed that a twitter account for a 90's video game mascot is tweeting punch-down ironic "check your privilege" jokes actually. I would normally associate that kind of humor with the chan and gamergate crowd, and not from a children's cartoon character, or rather, the employee running his twitter account.

Whether you think it's mocking trans people or not, the target audience for the joke is clearly the "anti-PC" crowd.

And as somebody who thinks of "political correctness" as synonymous with being respectful to underrepresented people, yeah, I think this was out of line.

I get that the point of the account is that the thought of a self-aware, meme spouting Sonic is funny. But there are ways of doing that without bringing a cartoon hedgehog into gender and identity politics. After all, it's done well enough so far.

The helicopter tweet was not aimed at transgender persons, you know that, it was a meme aimed at otherkins. Based on Rubyeclipse past tweets he has never once came across with narrow-minded views, so to say he intended to mock transgender people is illogical. Where is your proof? The first tweet you quoted implies that the account meant to offend transgender people, it doesn't not. Changing the context to suit your own agenda is dangerous and it belittles times where people are actually prejudiced by comparing the two. However, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Where is your outrage at how otherkins are treated or do you think it's okay to send tweets mocking them? If it's not okay, where was your condemnation? Are they not people too?
No one said he intend to mock but that's what happen. He a "meme" I've seen first hand to mock transgender people. You last comments are boring misdirects.

R.E: those last two tweets.

Naw, c'mon. Who is going to think "aw great I can post my extreme transphobic views now the Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter account legitimises them!"?

This is the absolute most ridiculous hill to die on.
There's more to that comment then that but people who think gamergate is actually about ethics in games journalism.

B_Signal

I got added to a list of transphobes for mentioning this thread on twitter

Thanks Sonic Gaf
wave_smileyavsyc.gif

Spaghetti

There's more to that comment then that but people who think gamergate is actually about ethics in games journalism.
I doubt even gamergate would hold up a Sonic tweet as the smoking gun that "THE SJWS ARE COMING TO TAKE OUR GAMES AHHHHHH".

They're following on from the narrative that people are genuinely offended by the tweet rather than the tweet itself.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
No one said he intend to mock but that's what happen. He a "meme" I've seen first hand to mock transgender people. You last comments are boring misdirects.

Reading your quoted tweet implied that the helicopter tweet was intended, it never mentions at any stage that it could be interpreted as offensive to transgender persons. That tweet leaves no room for multiple interpretations. Originally when I read the attack helicopter tweet I took it as 'we identify as' to mean Sonic and Tails, where Tails is the helicopter and Sonic clings on to him before jumping to attack an enemy. This is where we differ, I don't always look for the worst in people.

Regarding my boring misdirects, humour me and answer them. The reason you deflected is because whatever way you answer them you know your faux outrage is undermined.

I doubt even gamergate would hold up a Sonic tweet as the smoking gun that "THE SJWS ARE COMING TO TAKE OUR GAMES AHHHHHH".

They're following on from the narrative that people are genuinely offended by the tweet rather than the tweet itself.

I disagree.
This is another piece of proof to people who use "outrage culture" unironically and another
joke to discredit/target marginalized people like use of "triggered"
It makes it normal to do.

MrHoot

Its a cute post.

Though on a sonic related note, shadow has this animation in I think both sonic racing games where he's adjusting his... hair? Quills? whilst he is driving. I assumed shadow does his hair, its why his hair stays up. If he didn't it would go down.

Weird thing.

Speaking of which, there's this weird fucking look that was in the fan film and it seems that they're going for it too in the 2018 movie, where sonic has hair over his quills. It looks so freaking weird and uncomfortable to watch...I mean more than usual when it comes to sonic

Platy

It was not meant to be offensive, but it was an screw up. You usualy apologise when you screw up.

The helicopter tweet was not aimed at transgender persons, you know that, it was a meme aimed at otherkins. Based on Rubyeclipse past tweets he has never once came across with narrow-minded views, so to say he intended to mock transgender people is illogical. Where is your proof? The first tweet you quoted implies that the account meant to offend transgender people, it doesn't not. Changing the context to suit your own agenda is dangerous and it belittles times where people are actually prejudiced by comparing the two. However, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Where is your outrage at how otherkins are treated or do you think it's okay to send tweets mocking them? If it's not okay, where was your condemnation? Are they not people too?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-sexually-identify-as-an-attack-helicopter

I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter is a copypasta about a male who dreams of becoming a helicopter. It parodies absurd gender and sexual identification posts often found on forums like tumblr exploring the topic by including references to social justice terms like check your privilege.
[...]
Guuse originally wrote the copypasta for use in spamming by binding it to key terms in game chat rooms during arguments on gender identity politics.

Otherkins are not someone who has a different gender or sexual orientation, they claim to have other SPECIES.

I think these tweets by Katherine Cross explain why I have a prombelm with this "joke" and why its dispointing see comments like "Outrage culture!', "Its's just a joke, lighten up":

https://twitter.com/Quinnae_Moon/status/700517582823030784

https://twitter.com/Quinnae_Moon/status/700517709415514115

https://twitter.com/Quinnae_Moon/status/700517832405061633

It leads to people who use the gamergate hashtag to attack the trans community which has happen as shown by this: https://twitter.com/HybridEidolon/status/700501623110434817

People are being assholes on the internet? If only Ruby hadnt made that joke ...

Platy

Should be noticed that EVEN if the joke was on Otherkin, that is a BAD move for the oficial twitter account of SONIC, since probably there are lots of otherkins who are fan of sonic.

I mean those OCs must have generate SOME otherkins =P

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It was not meant to be offensive, but it was an screw up. You usualy apologise when you screw up.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-sexually-identify-as-an-attack-helicopter

Otherkins are not someone who has a different gender or sexual orientation, they claim to have other SPECIES.

If we can agree on it that the tweet was directed at otherkins only, can we identify what species is fictional character Sonic the Hedgehog? Just because you kiss a girl in 2006 it doesn't make you human. There is no mention of gender just species in the tweets.

Thankfully in the thread no one has mocked or intended to insult or belittle transgender people. Fellow Gaf members have stated they are transgender and no one has given them stick for it. Why? Because it doesn't make a difference to anyone else's lives nor should it. If we go this overboard over comments that could imply transphobia if viewed differently it degrades the incidents in real life where people intend to be pricks to them because of bigotry and ignorance. This is where we should concentrate on fostering a culture of inclusiveness regardless of differences, not overreacting to a tweet from once again a fictional blue talking hedgehog twitter account.

Not really a insult, more of an observation.
The word bigot has been mostly used as an insult for the past decade. I can't call someone stupid and just say, "I'm not being a jerk. I'm just making an observation." An insult is an insult.

I get that the joke was best left unsaid, but throwing insults at Aaron is not the answer to this situation. It's just rude.

The word bigot has been mostly used as an insult for the past decade. I can't call someone stupid and just say, "I'm not being a jerk. I'm just making an observation." An insult is an insult.

I get that the joke was best left unsaid, but throwing insults at Aaron is not the answer to this situation. It's just rude.
She said he created a safe space for bigots, not that he was one.

hodgy100

I get that the joke was best left unsaid, but throwing insults at Aaron in a forum site is not the answer to this situation. It's just rude.

She isn't calling Aron a bigot shes saying that by not addressing the issue at hand its creating a space for bigotry. because then the people who think its ok to make jokes about trans-gendered people think that their opinion is shared by a well known public figure which bolsters their opinion. we saw a similar thing with the play-asia twitter, though they were purposefully going for that crowd as opposed to this being an accident.

People are only asking for an apology so that the account makes it known loud and clear that they dont approve or support that interpretation of their joke and that they didn't mean to cause offense with it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

I get that the joke was best left unsaid, but throwing insults at Aaron in a forum site is not the answer to this situation. It's just rude.

That person is a troll. Stop feeding it. I easily exposed it's fake outrage and it disengaged from me. It's not worth your while. Thankfully the account is back with the right person in charge.

🎶 Blue streak speeds by 🎶

I'm not calling you a troll but the person you responded to.

Why even an apology though? There's nothing in the context of these tweets that relate it to trans people. If a joke is off limits because at some point someone somewhere used it in an offensive context then a whole lot of jokes would be on that list.
...yeah, I'd have to agree with that. People tend to neglect context and intent and I find it troubling.

Kinsei

Banned
...yeah, I'd have to agree with that. People tend to neglect context and intent and I find it troubling.

The thing with intent is that it's even more important to say "Hey you messed up" if it was unintentional. If it was intentional they'll jst ignore you, call you an SJW, call you a t*****/t***** sympathizer, etc, but if it's unintentional then perhaps that person will realize they made a mistake and try to avoid making it again in the future.

L Thammy

That person is a troll. Stop feeding it. I easily exposed it's fake outrage and it disengaged from me. It's not worth your while. Thankfully the account is back with the right person in charge.

�� Blue streak speeds by ��

I'm not calling you a troll but the person you responded to.

The "I easily exposed its fake outrage" and repeated reference to another person as "it" makes you seem like an arrogant prick.

Sami+

Joke was really random and better left unsaid (I don't really get it honestly) but I think the response is reaching.

Hopefully it wasn't Gene who said it this soon after his hiring.

Intent means nothing, if you fucked up you fucked up. That's life dude.

That's complete bullshit when it comes to interpersonal communication since the content of the message isn't necessarily what is interpreted, it's what the sender of the message meant. If there is discrepancy between the sent and interpreted message, that means there is a misunderstanding. Context can change everything about a statement, and the author's intent is the most important element in determining context. Claiming intent does not matter is claiming, in this case, that the manager of this account is deliberately being transphobic (not to mention that it's often used against otherkin).

She said he created a safe space for bigots, not that he was one.
She isn't calling Aron a bigot shes saying that by not addressing the issue at hand its creating a space for bigotry. because then the people who think its ok to make jokes about trans-gendered people think that their opinion is shared by a well known public figure which bolsters their opinion. we saw a similar thing with the play-asia twitter, though they were purposefully going for that crowd as opposed to this being an accident.

People are only asking for an apology so that the account makes it known loud and clear that they dont approve or support that interpretation of their joke and that they didn't mean to cause offense with it.

I do apologize. I did misinterpret the comments and do not mean to derail the thread. I personally do think that Aaron did not mean anything by it, and I hope the situation works itself out.

To get back on topic, who is excited for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3?

Kinsei

Banned
Using a dumb meme to make a joke usually used to to poke fun at transgendered people? On a twitter account of one of the biggest mascots in gaming.

No you fucked up. That's a fuck up.

*Transgender people.

I do apologize. I did misinterpret the comments and do not mean to derail the conversation more. I personally do think that Aaron did not mean anything by it, and I hope the situation works itself out.

To get back on topic, who is excited for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3?

I actually liked the Big levels as a kid.

The thing with intent is that it's even more important to say "Hey you messed up" if it was unintentional. If it was intentional they'll jst ignore you, call you an SJW, call you a t*****/t***** sympathizer, etc, but if it's unintentional then perhaps that person will realize they made a mistake and try to avoid making it again in the future.
I actually agree with that. Pointing it out is the right thing to do and I'm optimistic that he learned something from this. But I don't think he should apologize - and I certainly don't think this makes Sonic's Twitter page "a safe space for bigotry".

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The "I easily exposed its fake outrage" and repeated reference to another person as "it" makes you seem like an arrogant prick.

That person is a troll, that's why I used the word it. Have you read the comments, laced with smug holier than thou bullshit. Yeah, I asked a basic question, the poster deflected and I'm still waiting on their answer when I put the question to them again. I'd rather be an arrogant prick than a troll who twists words of decent people and pretends to hold the higher ground when they jump on other peoples real struggles. Is that okay with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom