• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & The Secret Rings - Let the Speed Mend It

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I feel like I've just gone crazy.

Are people praising the music in this game, of all things? I despised the music. It was catchy, but in all the wrong ways. It was more of a "get out of my head already I hate you" thing than "can't get enough of this I feel like dancin'". The latter would applied to, say, Dreamer from Streets of Rage 2, which I've had on loop for days now.

Game was alright, I enjoyed it at the time, despite the painfully slow start and finicky controls. Believe it or not, I bought it a few days after a break-up with a girl to mend my poor early twenties-man's heart.

I loved Sonic and the secret rings. The music made this game honestly, it always got me pumped right at the start of a stage.

Yeah I hate when I play other games and it is a dinosaur level and the song's lyrics don't reference dinosaurs and tell me to funk it. It takes me out of the whole experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_CJ2KKlEA

The forced motion controls for constant actions made me give up on this game.

Layell

Secret Rings is a mixed bag, there are certainly too many missions and not enough levels. Some tacked-on missions not even having VA's in it meant that if you didn't hear the voices you probably didn't need to beat that level to advance the story.

What I would give for a 2 act + boss Secret Rings game, that would have been very nice.

Also I hate the main theme but the rest of the music stands well.

Secret rings was a good Sonic game overlooked by many. The controls were fine, not optimal but still fine once you got used to it.

The music is top notch like most sonic games and the story was pretty decent too. The upgrade system was rather interesting, gave you replay value to try different skills to get through the levels.

Phoenixus

Wildfire was such a better name, I don't understand why they changed it. :/

Decent game though, once you've progressed enough.

Samemind

Man... This game is what got me off the Sonic train of buying every release (did not have a PS3, so I didn't know a thing about '06)

What really stuck with me the most all these years is how the final boss made me slightly squeamish. Maybe it's just me, but it gave me a feeling of being like a less-gory resident evil-style mutation.
https://youtu.be/VDDKTyNdLBE?t=3m5s

Game was one of the better games released in the time frame for Sonic games plus it set the stage for Colors and Generations so that's much appreciated. The music is incredibly goofy and cheesy and sounds like something my middle school self would enjoy and I did since I was in middle school when this game came out, but that's to be expected since it's a modern 3-D Sonic game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
WHO'S GONNA ROCK THE PLACE?

I quite enjoyed this game. It was interesting and pretty fun overall. Killer soundtrack. Definitely had its problems but it's a solid enough game.

Ferr986

Sonic 06 is the worst game, but I couldn't even play this shit.

I dropped the pad at my friend's house (that had the Wii and this game and let me play it) of how shitty the controls were.

Now, I understand you level up Sonic and that makes it contol better, but I honestly feel it's a bad idea to do that and leave the first one with an uncontrollable mess of a character.

Weren't there some legal problems with the name Wildfire as well? I seem to remember there were.

Yep.

Also, Wildfire does kinda make sense too, remember the tiny flame in Sonic's chest.

zvejB6g.gif

Picked this game up at EB the other day.

First time trying it since when it first came out. Back in 07 I think I rented it from blockbuster and didn't even get passed the first couple tutorials, I absolutely hated the controls, music, everything.

Strangely enough as I play it today killing some time. I find that I'm enjoying the "just one more mission" vibe it's givin me, almost arcadey.

Currently level 9 and in the dinosaur level. There's no way in hell I'll play it to find all the red rings or even try to get medals in the missions, but I'm enjoying it enough to probably see the end credits eventually.

Should I keep my eyes open for that Wii sequel? Does it improve much on what this game was trying to accomplish?

RK128

Picked this game up at EB the other day.

First time trying it since when it first came out. Back in 07 I think I rented it from blockbuster and didn't even get passed the first couple tutorials, I absolutely hated the controls, music, everything.

Strangely enough as I play it today killing some time. I find that I'm enjoying the "just one more mission" vibe it's givin me, almost arcadey.

Currently level 9 and in the dinosaur level. There's no way in hell I'll play it to find all the red rings or even try to get medals in the missions, but I'm enjoying it enough to probably see the end credits eventually.

Should I keep my eyes open for that Wii sequel? Does it improve much on what this game was trying to accomplish?

Wow, didn't expect to see a bump for this retrospective XD!

But yes, please consider giving Black Knight a look :). I honestly really loved that game and you can read up my thoughts on the game with its own Retrospective here :D.

keero16

Neo Member
I wanted to like this game when I played it waaaay back when it first released, but I really couldn't. Controls were too awkward and the whole "storybook" idea didn't click with me, other than the nice art during the cutscenes. It's one of the very few Sonic games I never replayed.

I think Black Knight is better, not great but not too bad. It wore out my arm having to swing the sword constantly but from what I remember it controlled which that alone helped me enjoy it more than Secret Rings.

Maybe I should actually give Secret Rings another try someday, if only to hear the soundtrack again (I don't remember any of the tracks for some reason. Probably has to do with only playing through the game once, and not really liking it).

BTails

I'm not gonna lie, everytime I see this game mentioned, I'm instantly reminded of that video of the guy waiting in line for 5 days for a Wii, apparently without sleeping. It's the first game he mentions when asked what he's excited for... I wonder if it lived up to his expectations...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL-j3Tx-KA

I loved this game even if it was aggravating at times with the controls. The songs were hot too,

Let the Speed Mend It Mend It Mend It Mend It is so catchy, as well as the one about Whose gonna rock the place, Seven Rings in Hand.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I played this at E3 2006 during the Wii's first public outing and remember liking it very much - it was the initial level with tight controls... when I bought the final release, I was extremely disappointed that improved controls were 'locked' and the later levels, when ill-conceived gimmicks were introduced, completely turned me off. Could have been something decent, but, naah.

literally the worst full price game i've ever bought.

Is that because it doesn't have a PC release? :p

Top Bottom