• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s Andrew House Found Microsoft’s Response to the PS4 Pro “Quite Intriguing”

pixelation

8hptove.gif

Microsoft with them highest quality pixels and Sony with that high quality Moola.

True, but the best response would be silence and a smile... or if something must be said then keep it classy (I.e., a compliment to the effect of "MS has done well and they offer a nice alternative. There's clearly room for both products to do well and we welcome the competition as it keeps us on our toes. Next question.") Instead, the way he responded clearly made it sound as if he was bitter about him perceiving MS as taking a potshot at the early market response to the Pro's lack of a UHD player. Better to acknowledge and play up the "We're all gamers" angle. Stick to the high road.

Josman

Well it seems Scorpio is going to release later and probably at a higher price, Microsoft really has no chance, seems to me Sony is quite happy with their decision

Quick question to the ones decrying this for being petty. How is it any more petty than Microsoft's comments?

How is it "petty" for MS to promote the one feature their product has that the competition does not? When company A says, "Our product does XYZ and company B's product might do X and Y but it can't do Z", how is this "petty"? I don't think the MS tweet/comment in question is even particularly catty, much less petty. The reason this discussion is happening is because the optics of this look like it got under House's skin - right after the public response to the lack of a UHD player has been mixed at best. As the CEO of the market leader, he'd be better off simply maintaining a quiet/genial confidence.

onanie

Quick question to the ones decrying this for being petty. How is it any more petty than Microsoft's comments?

Indeed. House simply pointed out the obvious (that at one point Phil senpai decried the console warz, and then someone from his mob decided to throw sticks again not very long after).

And some people got salty about House's response LOL.

Thinking Scorpio is going to turn the tide worldwide when the Xbox brand is at such a disadvantage outside of the US and UK is pure fantasy.

"turning the tide" and "outselling by large margins" are two very different things

You don't see the difference between making anti-consumer decisions and just making an unimpressive product? How quickly do people forget the shit MS were trying to pull?

yeah it's almost as though microsoft has spent the last three years changing or something

They've gone and done it... they've gone and woke the sleeping dragon now.

Sony should have left well enough alone and now they're going to get it. It's not enough that they're bleeding benjamins from practically every crevice of their existence.

You hit Microsoft with a jab, you best be ready for a flurry of uppercuts coming at you in response.

Applebite

yeah it's almost as though microsoft has spent the last three years changing or something
I'm not trying to tell you they haven't gone in a better direction. I'm telling you that the mockery then was deserved and didn't feel as petty. I'm also not very quick to forgive corporations that do shitty things to their longtime consumers.

demigod

Indeed. House simply pointed out the obvious (that at one point Phil senpai decried the console warz, and then someone from his mob decided to throw sticks again not very long after).

And some people got salty about House's response LOL.

Lol yeah, i said this in the other thread about phil spencer can't keep a leash on his employees.

When 360 was leading, they were stomping their feet on sony's head. But when ms are losing badly, they tried to play that "Can't we all just get along" card. Now that they have an advantage in an area, they're throwing small jabs left and right. Sneaky fuckers i tell ya.

How is it "petty" for MS to promote the one feature their product has that the competition does not? When company A says, "Our product does XYZ and company B's product might do X and Y but it can't do Z", how is this "petty"? I don't think the MS tweet/comment in question is even particularly catty, much less petty. The reason this discussion is happening is because the optics of this look like it got under House's skin - right after the public response to the lack of a UHD player has been mixed at best. As the CEO of the market leader, he'd be better off simply maintaining a quiet/genial confidence.

They're taking shots, that's a part of what they're doing. They know this, their fanatic fanboys know this, and this happened despite all of Phil Spencer's claims that that's beneath them.

They're taking shots, that's a part of what they're doing. They know this, their fanatic fanboys know this, and this happened despite all of Phil Spencer's claims that that's beneath them.

Please re-read the actual MS tweet and try to parse out any actual language which goes beyond what *any* company in *any* market does when trying to draw distinctions between their products and the competition. People seem to be imagining something that isn't there. House's response is beneath his station.

Please re-read the actual MS tweet and try to parse out any actual language that comes off as "taking shots" which goes beyond what *any* company in *any* market does when trying to draw distinctions between their products and the competition. People seem to be imagining something that isn't there. House's response is beneath his station.

I disagree, they're obviously directing something at Sony or else they wouldn't have waited until after the pro reveal to say anything.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Please re-read the actual MS tweet and try to parse out any actual language that comes off as "taking shots" which goes beyond what *any* company in *any* market does when trying to draw distinctions between their products and the competition. People seem to be imagining something that isn't there. House's response is beneath his station.

Should let his underlings do the dirty work. Mafia bosses should never be getting their hands dirty. Phil knows what's up lol

I disagree, they're obviously directing something at Sony or else they wouldn't have waited until after the pro reveal to say anything.

The point you're missing is that marketing a product inherently involves comparing why your product is better than the competition. Of COURSE MS is directing this at Sony. Lol The issue here seems to be whether the language that MS used is particularly catty or petty in any way. The mere mention of having UHD while the Pro does not seems to have peoples' panties in a twist, including House's. But nothing in the language used suggested it was "console warz" which House and supporters like you are defaulting to, perhaps as a way to deflect from the fact that the public response to the Pro's lack of UHD has been mixed at best. Which explains House's annoyance, but doesn't justify it considering as CEO he should be above such nonsense.

kyser73

All the people calling the console generation won remind me of the people who said PS3 was dead in the water circa 2007 or 2008. It came back in sales over the lifetime of the console. Microsoft has a tougher battle given its historically weaker strength in EU and JP that it only magnified with its stumbles out the gate, but they still have plenty of opportunity. Only begun the console wars have.

Just no.

The people saying that were Americans with geo-myopia about the RotW. PS3 never 'came back' globally, so your entire post is based on a complete misreading of the situation.

The point you're missing is that marketing a product inherently involves comparing why your product is better than the competition. Of COURSE MS is directing this at Sony. Lol The issue here seems to be whether the language that MS used is particularly catty or petty in any way. The mere mention of having UHD while the Pro does not seems to have peoples' panties in a twist, including House's. But nothing in the language used suggested it was "console warz" which House and supporters like you are defaulting to, perhaps as a way to deflect from the fact that the public response to the Pro's lack of UHD has been mixed at best. Which explains House's annoyance, but doesn't justify it considering as CEO he should be above such nonsense.

Lol, nobody's deflecting here. The fact that they decided to do that in the wake of the reveal is suspect is what I'm saying.

Did they not say the 1S had a 4K UHD player prior to the Pro announcement or something?

You don't find their actions the least bit odd given that their competition had just done something? This stuff drums up console wars. You need only read the comments on those tweets. I'm sure you'll find some interesting individuals there.

leeh

I would like to see a tweet where they said "Xbox One S is the only console with blu ray 4K" prior to Pro announcement.
Well, considering they had a hardware event planned and everyone presumed it would of had 4k Blu-ray playback, it would of been a silly thing to tweet at the time.

Although they should of done, it would of been funny to see the before and after threads.

Also, you guys put too much emphasis on official Twitter channels. These things are often ran by junior people who've just come out of studying and are working their way up the ladder. It's not like Phil Spencer is sat there controlling his Twitter minions.
You don't find their actions the least bit odd given that their competition had just done something? This stuff drums up console wars. You need only read the comments on those tweets. I'm sure you'll find some interesting individuals there.
Odd? Its just marketing. I do think it's making a stab yeah, but it's hardly 'console wars' and it's factual. What was said in OP is personal opinion and is just quite salty overall from my point of view.

Lol, nobody's deflecting here. The fact that they decided to do that in the wake of the reveal is suspect is what I'm saying.

Suspect of what? Promoting a feature your direct competitor doesn't have? It's called marketing. Any company worth their salt would exploit it. Sony did it right after the first E3 of this gen, with the "sharing games" video. Apple and Samsung trade Jabs constantly. Remember the "Pepsi Challenge"?
It's competition and it's healthy.

Well, you might not be deflecting away from that salient point about the Pro missing a UHD drive, but it appears there's plenty of deflecting in House's response and in this thread. Console warriors are coming out on both sides, but ultimately what started all this is a rather pedestrian tweet about how the Xbone S has a UHD drive and suddenly House is claiming "console warz". It's ridiculous.

Though honestly, this could probably just be settled by allowing both sides to either rap battle, or roast each other, similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=uSes3TEEnaw

Yes, please. Lol

Please re-read the actual MS tweet and try to parse out any actual language which goes beyond what *any* company in *any* market does when trying to draw distinctions between their products and the competition. People seem to be imagining something that isn't there. House's response is beneath his station.
The delivery is in the timing.

I mean, it's obvious why MS tweeted what they did WHEN they did it. That was the point of the tweet. It should be blatantly obvious.

Like when MS made those tweets I was all like "popcorn.jpg" because of the timing of those tweets.

Everybody was. Pretty hard to miss, just like the "sharing" games video by Sony. You don't have to outright call anyone out to take jabs at them or their position.

HotHamBoy

1. Nintendo's absolute failure in the console space motivated them to release Mother 3 and Earthbound in the United States; Iwata Asks became a thing, and steps were taken to embrace consumers internationally. Nintendo has never been more "intriguing" and interesting to me since 2006, I'm hype for NX.

I think you meant Mother 1/EarthBound Beginnings and Earthbound. Mother 3 was never announced for localization and I firmly believe it never will be. There was a rumor or two many months ago but it was totally unfounded. I would happily eat crow on this because the game is amazing, but Mother 1 was already fully translated by Nintendo decades ago, they merely has to release the rom for EarthBound Beginnings. Mother 3 would be a full-on localization effort for a GBA VC game. That's very unrealistic.

We need to see the NX and Nintendo's final game plan before I believe this. They have bumbled the 3DS and the Wii U magnificently. They managed to pull the 3DS out of the fire and turn its fortunes around, it's not the success the DS was and it's nowhere near as good as it could've been. The eShop is terrible, MyNintendo is an awful replacement for Club Nintendo. The Wii U release calendar is sparse as hell yet they still drip-feed the VC content.

leeh

I mean, it's obvious why MS tweeted what they did WHEN they did it. That was the point of the tweet. It should be blatantly obvious.

Like when MS made those tweets I was all like "popcorn.jpg" because of the timing of those tweets.

Everybody was. Pretty hard to miss, just like the "sharing" games video by Sony. You don't have to outright call anyone out to take jabs at them or their position.
It's hardly provocative though, it's not like they made a video with the divisions executives saying here's how you watch 4k BluRay on the Xbox 1S and put a disc in the drive.

This is some tweet by some junior employee who gets paid a crap wage to learn off senior marketers and run a Twitter account.

Well, you might not be deflecting away from that salient point about the Pro missing a UHD drive, but it appears there's plenty of deflecting in House's response and in this thread. Console warriors are coming out on both sides, but ultimately what started all this is a rather pedestrian tweet about how the Xbone S has a UHD drive and suddenly House is claiming "console warz". It's ridiculous.
This is best summary of this whole thing.

krang

It's hardly provocative though, it's not like they made a video with the divisions executives saying here's how you watch 4k BluRay on the Xbox 1S and put a disc in the drive.

I almost wish they had done this, and compare the reaction from those that thought the Sony one was funny.

Head.spawn

I would like to see a tweet where they said "Xbox One S is the only console with blu ray 4K" prior to Pro announcement.

Not sure where to "only" caveat/goalpost came from, because MS never said precisely that.

Now if you asked, "I'd like to see where MS did a checklist of every feature their console has, that other consoles don't have, including 4k Bluray support..."

The response to that would be:

-at E3, live onstage, in front of tons of customers and press.

We had threads about it.

It's what sold me on the console.

madmackem

Ps4 lead will change again if MS keeps making right decisions and Sony stumbling. Look at what happened with 360-> xbo
You expect ms to close a 20 million gap when the console and brand is doa outside of the USA and U.K.?. Good luck with that.

madmackem

Yep. And sony fanboys talking about salt in this thread clearly forgot how salty they were when those tweets came out lol.
It's pretty funny though, ms has so many faces you don't know which is which, one min numbers don't matter it's all about the maus, next power doesn't matter it's all about the games now power matters now it's all about the teraflops. I always find it funny when companies flip flop depending on where they are at, like Sony at the start of the gen not more so since they've crushed Xbox one but they were pushing the powers angle but won't have that this time next year, will they flip into ms it's about the games mode?, more than likely. It's the people who buy right into all this pr I worry about they are at the wim of these mega corps who all care nought but getting more money out of them.

kyser73

This.

sense

I really wonder if that will be the case. A year is a long time and when Scorpio is new and much more powerful, the Pro will be old news. Unless Sony have something planned for next year.
Sony will likely have God of War, spiderman and destiny 2 bundles if they are smart

Top Bottom