• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and Marvel are having a falling out. No marvel studios involvement in future films.

Raziel

MeagerEnragedEsok-size_restricted.gif

EekTheKat

I was going to post something about the MCU losing Spider-man alongside Cap and Iron Man would be devastating, but then I remembered that an X-men/Fantastic Four reboot will probably come sooner than later.

Bit of a rant on the MCU incoming, but oh well - it seems somewhat related to this news in a tin foil hat wearing sort of way.

To me the current lineup of the Avengers moved from a must-see to a wait and see, as some of the newer characters coming in seem not very likable.

In the old MCU, Cap and Iron man had chemistry together, and seemed like oddly believable co-workers on screen.

Spiderman in the current MCU seemed like he was going to go from the sidekick/adopted son of Iron Man to

the sidekick/Robin of Captain Marvel. Spiderman literally came across as a cute novelty to Captain Marvel in Endgame.

Which I'm pretty sure that's not something that Spiderman fans really want to see going forward in a shared cinematic universe.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
So Disney starts now by starving Sony by cutting all other content, they only own the movie rights. Disney don't have to licence the game or even release anything to help the movie toys etc... they where doing the same with xmen to Fox before buying Fox outright. Seems like an idiot move by Sony to not counter, they never made anything off the franchise without Disneys help.

Surprised their legal team hasn't come up with some loop hole to get this back yet from Sony, they can be as cut throat as anyone. Or attempt to get Sony to spin and sell off Sony Pictures to them.

Bryank75

Banned
So Disney starts now by starving Sony by cutting all other content, they only own the movie rights. Disney don't have to licence the game or even release anything to help the movie toys etc... they where doing the same with xmen to Fox before buying Fox outright. Seems like an idiot move by Sony to not counter, they never made anything off the franchise without Disneys help.

Surprised their legal team hasn't come up with some loop hole to get this back yet from Sony, they can be as cut throat as anyone. Or attempt to get Sony to spin and sell off Sony Pictures to them.
Dont get carried away, negotiations are still ongoing. Look at IGN_

Mattyp

Gold Member
Dont get carried away, negotiations are still ongoing. Look at IGN_

Didn't see your update post, makes complete sense but. They need to work with Disney & Marvel. Not tell a much more powerful company to fuck off when its clear Disney wants Spiderman back.

bitbydeath

That’s BS.
Sam Rami’s Spider-Man pathed the way for superhero films.

Bryank75

Banned
Didn't see your update post, makes complete sense but. They need to work with Disney & Marvel. Not tell a much more powerful company to fuck off when its clear Disney wants Spiderman back.
I don't think they did but Sony pictures is run independent of the rest of the company. So you can't really blame Yoshida for a decision Pascal may make. Anyway I'm sure it will resolve.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Disney wanted half though. That is taking it way too far. It was a smart business move on Sonys part.

Yeah, and Sony didn’t even attempt to negotiate. You never start negotiations with what you want.

Plus, half a billion dollars is still half a billion.

Strider311

Guys, this is actually great news! This opens the door for Sony to go back to Spidey’s origin story and finally show us how Uncle Ben died. Take me back to that sorrowful night on the streets when those hallowed words were first spoken... “With great power...”

We will get to see Pete get bit by a spider. We will get to see him be an awkward teenager! All this material that has hardly been touched upon in cinema!
wKJW44J.gif

Last edited:

Pallas

5% is way too low and I agree that 50% is a bit high, hopefully they can come to a compromise, otherwise this would affect future Spider-Man games and cause the franchise to get rebooted AGAIN without the MCU.

Doom85

Guys, this is actually great news! This opens the door for Sony to go back to Spidey’s origin story and finally show us how Uncle Ben died. Take me back to that sorrowful night on the streets when those hallowed words were first spoken... “With great power...”

We will get to see Pete get bit by a spider. We will get to see him be an awkward teenager! All this material that has hardly been touched upon in cinema!

I've always felt that Uncle Ben should at least get a proper name drop, don't think that's asking for much yet I find the MCU solo Spidey films' insane refusal to even do that to be kinda insulting to the mythology to be perfectly honest. It's a goddamn 2+ hour movie, you can't afford a single sentence? You know what I didn't need to see again? Peter in goddman high school again, anyone who knows the comics knows how short that lasted actually so it was frustrating to see it happen yet again for several movies in the MCU.

Miles being in school and a kid is fine since he's a new character, but Peter needs to grow up already.

Strider311

I've always felt that Uncle Ben should at least get a proper name drop, don't think that's asking for much yet I find the MCU solo Spidey films' insane refusal to even do that to be kinda insulting to the mythology to be perfectly honest. It's a goddamn 2+ hour movie, you can't afford a single sentence? You know what I didn't need to see again? Peter in goddman high school again, anyone who knows the comics knows how short that lasted actually so it was frustrating to see it happen yet again for several movies in the MCU.

Miles being in school and a kid is fine since he's a new character, but Peter needs to grow up already.

In a perfect world, we would get endless rebooted trilogies of high school Spidey. Surely that is the richest part of the Spider-canon.

All jokes aside, I really want an Agent Venom movie or game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not a fan of the current direction of Spidy so

gatti-man

It makes sense for Sony. They're having success with the series again and making money. Disney footing half the bill also means Sony gets less for it. Disney is already making buckets of money right now and Sony wants some for all the effort they spent on the series over the years.
All the effort fucking it up you mean.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
From a financial point of view, stupid fucking Sony.
But from a fans point of view it might be interesting to see a non Disney take on Spider-Man again.

We've had 5 non-Disney takes on Spider-Man. We don't need any more. The execs don't know what they're doing with all their meddling.

Just like the WB execs did with some of the DCEU movies, Sony will do with the Spider-Man live-action franchise.

Ex. Spider Man 3, both Amazing Spiderman's..

Generic

Good, after Spiderverse Sony proved they can handle Spider Man better than Disney. Tom Holland was the worst version of the character.

Kind of hard for me to blame Disney. They were getting 5 percent? That seems insanely low. Going straigh to asking for 50 might have been a little too large a leap. Perhaps a 30/70 split or something like that moving forward is more agreeable.

Disney deserves more than 5 percent, IMO. Homecoming and Far From Home aren't what they are without the MCU.
If Sony funded the movies then a 5% share cut for Disney is fair.

Generic

We've had 5 non-Disney takes on Spider-Man. We don't need any more. The execs don't know what they're doing with all their meddling.

Just like the WB execs did with some of the DCEU movies, Sony will do with the Spider-Man live-action franchise.

They can use this opportunity to make an older, more mature Peter Parker.

images

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Crushing. Seems like PS4 Spider-Man's lighting was only meant to strike once. I wonder what Sony will task Insomniac with. They clearly have a unique and enjoyable take on open world gaming.

JimiNutz

Banned

While I'm certainly not entirely confident in Sony, let's not pretend that they haven't delivered some really good Spider-Man films in the past.

Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Verse are all very good Spider-Man films and prove that Sony are capable. True they have also made some poor Spider-Man films and leaving it up to Sony is a gamble in terms of quality but Disney aren't perfect either.

I don't think it's a simple case of Disney Spider-Man guarantees quality where as Sony Spider-Man guarantees shit.

Crushing. Seems like PS4 Spider-Man's lighting was only meant to strike once. I wonder what Sony will task Insomniac with. They clearly have a unique and enjoyable take on open world gaming.
I have to imagine that they've already made a deal regarding the games, and there is no indication that the videogame deal is also dead as a result of this news. Rather, the fact that Sony bought Insomniac is a sign that they're 100% invested in continuing that franchise.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have to imagine that they've already made a deal regarding the games, and there is no indication that the videogame deal is also dead as a result of this news. Rather, the fact that Sony bought Insomniac is a sign that they're 100% invested in continuing that franchise.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be doom n gloom. Hopefully there's at least one sequel.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
What a clusterfuck.

At least he managed to show up in Avengers whenever possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Would this mean Sony couldn’t use Iron Man’s name at all in the next film? Or happy? Like... how in the hell would you even make that work given all the hard connections they’ve established.

sol_bad

Even the awful Garfield movies made over 700M.

ASM1 - $757,890,267
ASM2 - $708,996,336

ASM2 was still considered a financial flop though because Sony have no idea how to budget. It cost somewhere between 200 and 300 million to make that film, double that budget for advertising and it goes up to 400-600 million. All in all, a 100-300 million profit is pretty terrible.

Also, Disney are being greedy fucks, 50% is way to high.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

These are separate licensing structures and how they are negotiated from what I understood it. Disney is not directly involved in anything but the film MCU. Marvel approached and dealt with Sony PlayStation directly for the game.

Last edited:

Doom85

So the MCU really has died with Endgame.

Hardly. Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and to a slightly lesser extent Thor have proven how very profitable they are and they each still have at least 1-2 movies left. Even if a lot of lesser known heroes are about to be brought in, there's no reason to believe they couldn't succeed. I feel some people forget about a decade ago barely anyone outside of seasoned comic readers knew who the fuck the Guardians of the Galaxy were. Like the first movie's trailer having the opening bit be "I'm Star-Lord." "Who?" always felt like it was meant to reflect the viewer's likely reaction as well. A while later and BAM everybody knows exactly who these guys are.

On a similar note, how many probably claimed an Aquaman movie would bomb due to some many people still clinging to a "durr, he talks to fish, what a loser!" joke that got old decades ago? Jason Momoa showed those disbelievers what's what.

The age where Marvel could succeed with only their most mainstream heroes has passed. DC is showing they might be able to accomplish this as well. I'll be disappointed if Spidey is suddenly yanked from the MCU but it hardly spells the end for it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i am only interested in having spiderman in the MCU as long as it is Tom Holland

afterwards, i dont care. id rather it not be in the MCU. Maybe we can actually get a Spiderman 4

Last edited:

royox

They have to keep negotiations because this won't benefit any of the parts:

Disney/Marvel: They were pushing Peter as the future leader of the Avengers and he is literally Tony's legacy.

Sony: The most profitable Spider-Man movies they made are fully set in the MCU, the last one ended with a big as fuck cliffhanger and Spidey is 100% dependant on Stark Technology and Gadgets. They can't suddently make a movie cutting every kind of link with Stark or the Avengers.

VulcanRaven

I'm not sure what to think about this. I'm not a big fan of the MCU Spider-Man but I don't want the series to end like this. Would be great to see Spider-Man and Venom in a same movie if he is out of the MCU.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Well, there may not be another spidey playstation game now. Sony have the license, which at the very least is limited and won't be renewed.
They might already be making the sequel so they could have the license. Also the movie deal is with Sony Pictures. It might not affect the gaming side.

Last edited:

Pallas

They might already be making the sequel so they could have the license. Also the movie deal is with Sony Pictures. It might not affect the gaming side.

Depends on how greedy or spiteful Disney gets to be. Sony only controls the movie aspect of Spider-man, I think.

Top Bottom