• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

Moodz

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere so I'm intrigued:

Can we still switch HDD easily on the ps4 pro? Since there isn't the top faceplate anymore.

So if I'm looking at a 4KTV for a potential PS4Pro purchase. Is it advisable to get one with HDR, would it be unnecessary to just get one with 4K. Because I can get a Sony 55" with 4K, no HDR for a pretty good price right now.

icespide

Banned
So if I'm looking at a 4KTV for a potential PS4Pro purchase. Is it advisable to get one with HDR, would it be unnecessary to just get one with 4K. Because I can get a Sony 55" with 4K, no HDR for a pretty good price right now.
HDR is worth it. try and get a set with HDR

farisr

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere so I'm intrigued:

Can we still switch HDD easily on the ps4 pro? Since there isn't the top faceplate anymore.
Yes, for the slim, it was relocated to the back, where you can pop out a panel
eBEeqjtGeFqCUhUUFrQgkU-650-80.jpg
For the Pro, it seems to be in the same location

Loudninja

I'm sure this has been ask already but do I need a 4K TV for the PlayStation 4 Pro?
Nope.

Q: Will PS4 Pro require a 4K TV?
No. PS4 Pro can display much higher resolutions than the standard PS4 when using a 4K TV. But if you own an HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p), PS4 Pro can still improve your gaming experience.

Q: What benefits does PS4 Pro provide when played on a non-4K HDTV?
PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements. For a look at how games are using the power of PS4 Pro, watch some of the first game footage on our YouTube page.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

lord pie

I can't help but chuckle and facepalm when I see so many people talking up HDR as if it's the second coming of Christ. We've been using this shit since 2005. I remember playing a Half-Life 2 tech demo called "Lost Coast" that demonstrated this very thing. To put things into perspective...

fSquChz.jpg

...lmao

Ironically that pic is a good example of where an HDR output would help.
The sky in that image is heavily overexposed. It's completely white over a large portion of the image. The game still has detail there, it's just too bright to be displayed.

In order to see the detail in the sky and sun you'd have to lower the exposure so much then the rest of the image would become too dark to see properly.

However a good HDR tv would let you see the clouds fully in all their detail and brightness, it would let you see the shape and brightness of the sun behind those clouds. It would no longer be a solid white mess.

You absolutely cannot appreciate good HDR on an SDR display.

It's like comparing a framed photo to a window.
The photo can not be brighter than the wall it hangs on.

I can't help but chuckle and facepalm when I see so many people talking up HDR as if it's the second coming of Christ. We've been using this shit since 2005. I remember playing a Half-Life 2 tech demo called "Lost Coast" that demonstrated this very thing. To put things into perspective...

fSquChz.jpg

...lmao

I don't think you really understand what HDR means for colour output on new monitors and televisions.
Ironically that pic is a good example of where an HDR output would help.
The sky in that image is heavily overexposed. It's completely white over a large portion of the image. The game still has detail there, it's just too bright to be displayed.

In order to see the detail in the sky and sun you'd have to lower the exposure so much then the rest of the image would become too dark to see properly.

However a good HDR tv would let you see the clouds fully in all their detail and brightness, it would let you see the shape and brightness of the sun behind those clouds. It would no longer be a solid white mess.

You absolutely cannot appreciate good HDR on an SDR display.

Yep. This is the answer.

Don't want to add to the PS4 Pro threads so will aks my question here. If you was trading in a OG PS4 and have fiber optics download speeds with no caps and probly about 2 games downloaded would you just wipe your old PS4 clean and trade it in? or transfer all your data from the old to the new one?

pottuvoi

Banned
Is the special checkerboard 4k upscaling technique something that needs to be implemented by devs per-product or does the system itself handle the upscaling universally?
And if the answer is that the system handles it, can this scaling technique also be applied to other content such as 1080p movies?

I dont know what step of the output process that it is implemented. If it's right at the tail end applied to whatever sub-4k output is received, then it could benefit a variety of media. I'm guessing it happens earlier in the process, though.
That image is from Valves presentation, possibly quite different from the checker rendering used in games.
That works in quads 2x2 pixels, not pixel sized checkerbox.
Also the reconstruction was really really simple for VR. (blur color values from neighboring pixels,)

More complex version was used in PsVR demos in which temporal reprojection was used to fill the holes and had more gradual quad rejection toward the edge of the screen.

Loudninja

1080p remote play? So even though I'm wired, the OG PS4 is limited to 720p right?

Hmm that makes pro a little more tempting even without a 4K TV
Yeah.

This is all the new stuff
  • HDR
  • 4k support for games *upscale and native*
  • All games will run in 1080p resolution, and some will even run in a higher or more stable framerate
  • 1080p60 RemotePlay/SharePlay
  • Will support 1080p video at 60 frames per second for broadcasting
  • 4K screenshots
  • Usb port on the back
  • Netflix 4k support
  • Enhanced support for PSVR
  • 5GHz Wi-Fi. support

pottuvoi

Banned
Yeah.

• HDR
  • 4k support for games *upscale*
  • All games will run in 1080p resolution, and some will even run in a higher or more stable framerate
  • 4K screenshots
  • Usb port on the back
  • Netflix 4k support
  • 5GHz Wi-Fi. support
Really hope it allows me to stream the 4k Netflix even on 1080p TV.

Dynomutt

Any reason why the Pro would not be able to support 1440P resolutions? Could an update allow for variable resolutions?

Edit: 1440P WHD monitors to be specific...

Don't want to add to the PS4 Pro threads so will aks my question here. If you was trading in a OG PS4 and have fiber optics download speeds with no caps and probly about 2 games downloaded would you just wipe your old PS4 clean and trade it in? or transfer all your data from the old to the new one?

Back up the old console to a hard drive or flash drive, and restore to the new. With only 2 games it's not a big deal to re-download, but if your saves are not in the cloud you will want to back that stuff up anyways (and PT if you have that).

After you do your backup be sure to deactivate your console as primary, and format before trading in.

Is the ps4 pro still worth it if I only use a full hd 42" tv?
I really like the idea of a more powerful ps4, but if the only perks are 4K and HDR (which I can't use with my tv) it would not make much sense to buy one, does it?

Loudninja

Is the ps4 pro still worth it if I only use a full hd 42" tv?
I really like the idea of a more powerful ps4, but if the only perks are 4K and HDR (which I can't use with my tv) it would not make much sense to buy one, does it?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216360879&postcount=1720

Q: Will PS4 Pro require a 4K TV?
No. PS4 Pro can display much higher resolutions than the standard PS4 when using a 4K TV. But if you own an HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p), PS4 Pro can still improve your gaming experience.

Q: What benefits does PS4 Pro provide when played on a non-4K HDTV?
PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements. For a look at how games are using the power of PS4 Pro, watch some of the first game footage on our YouTube page.

Additionally, PS4 games that render below native 1080p (maximum quality for HD TVs) on the standard PS4 can be elevated to render at full native 1080p on an HDTV.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

watdaeff4

I'm going to spin-off the "is this worth it" question a different way to help me decide.

I don't currently have a 4K TV but understand there are still graphical benefits to the Pro, but how big are they really going to be?

For example, I own both a PS4 and XB1 currently, while I'm actually playing a game it's rare if at all I can tell a difference in the graphics between the two consoles when objectively by DF there are. But in my experiences it's not enough for me to tell a difference when I'm actually playing the games.

Will this be a similar situation in the differences between my OG PS4 and the Pro? If I stare at a screenshot or have DF tell me there are differences in quality I can see it, but it's so small that while I'm actually playing I don't notice?

Thanks in advance for replies

Kudo

Have they announced these anywhere?
New revision of the controller popped up on sale in Japan, and in delicious looking red. Now the backside of the controller is completely red, I hope they do this for blue one too.
Might grab one in future and sell off one of my OG black controller.

Have they announced these anywhere?
New revision of the controller popped up on sale in Japan, and in delicious looking red. Now the backside of the controller is completely red, I hope they do this for blue one too.
Might grab one in future and sell off one of my OG black controller.
Wow - looks gorgeous

f@luS

More than a member.
I have a 2tb drive in my ps4 currently. Will I be able to simply swap it with he pspro hard drive and use it straight without having to download anything again ?

Asd202

So is HDr a big factor or can I settle for a simple 4k tv. I'm seeing some pretty affordable 4k TVs but I don't see HDr ones. Any recommendations

From what I looked good HDR is expensive as fuck at least to me.

The problem here is that developers may choose not to do anything with 1080p mode same goes for Sony first party games. Sony was selling it as a 4K option mostly and I feel like that's where the focus is going. How would displaying 4K mode look on 1080p TV?

cchum

I have a 2tb drive in my ps4 currently. Will I be able to simply swap it with he pspro hard drive and use it straight without having to download anything again ?

I think you'll have to do a backup and restore with an external enclosure.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah.

• HDR
  • 4k support for games *upscale*
  • 4K screenshots
  • Usb port on the back
  • Netflix 4k support
  • 5GHz Wi-Fi. support

This underplays the 4K game support a little - anything from higher res upscale to 4K native is supported. There isn't a singular approach to it across all games (i.e. 'upscale').

Simo

Caved in and preorderd the Pro. I don't have a 4K set but like others have said, I want the best possible machine and improvements going forward.

So from what (little) I've read its upscaling not outputting native 4K. So what's the difference between this and the upscaling the TV set already does? Real question.

spwolf

I'm going to spin-off the "is this worth it" question a different way to help me decide.

I don't currently have a 4K TV but understand there are still graphical benefits to the Pro, but how big are they really going to be?

For example, I own both a PS4 and XB1 currently, while I'm actually playing a game it's rare if at all I can tell a difference in the graphics between the two consoles when objectively by DF there are. But in my experiences it's not enough for me to tell a difference when I'm actually playing the games.

Will this be a similar situation in the differences between my OG PS4 and the Pro? If I stare at a screenshot or have DF tell me there are differences in quality I can see it, but it's so small that while I'm actually playing I don't notice?

Thanks in advance for replies

yes, from power perspective, PS4 is 30% more powerful than XB1... On the other hand, PS4 Pro is almost 3x more powerful than XB1.

You will see differences for sure. In most games it will be minimum of much better anti-aliasing which was one of the last thing left... some games will also have updated textures too and other parts of the equation.

Top Bottom