• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Q2 results

spats

PS2 is amazing, but it's a bit weird to see that it's still selling. Thenagain my ancient phatty still works like the day I bought it.

Majine

Banned
Suzzopher said:
Damn, less than 3 million now. Kinect could change all that, but still they closed the gap massively.
The first quarters of this year are by far the most uninteresting ones. Now the rest of this year (Halo: Reach, Move, Kinect, GT5?), that will be a spectacle.

Majine said:
The first quarters of this year are by far the most uninteresting ones. Now the rest of this year (Halo: Reach, Move, Kinect, GT5?), that will be a spectacle.

These numbers incorporate Halo: Reach's launch, though.

jax (old)

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
once this generation ends and the story is written, the historians will not be kind to Sony and the loss of its iron grip on the gaming industry.

the very notion that the words "Sony" and "3rd place" are even in the same sentence is baffling to me when I step out of the moment and look at the last 15 years of gaming. It's almost incomprehensible. Then again, I said the same about Nintendo. Before the N64 came out.

I think the generation is far from over and the PS3 is going to be a close 3rd. If anything, the wii is fading (and badly at that) so we'll see how that goes. I mean, didn't Metroid Tecmo sell 150k only? That's pretty bad.

I think GT5 is going to be interesting in terms of its ps3 sales impact + actual games sales impact.

Jax said:
I think the generation is far from over and the PS3 is going to be a close 3rd. If anything, the wii is fading (and badly at that) so we'll see how that goes. I mean, didn't Metroid Tecmo sell 150k only? That's pretty bad.

I think GT5 is going to be interesting in terms of its ps3 sales impact + actual games sales impact.

Hmm I still see the PS3 overtaking 360 sometime in the near future, by the end of 2011 we should be there. But if Kinect ignites 360 sales in a Wii-esque way, then of course PS3 is doomed to 3rd place, but I don't believe in that scenario. Sure it will sell well during its launch window, but after that I (hope) think it will slowly fade away.

PSGames

Suzzopher said:
Damn, less than 3 million now. Kinect could change all that, but still they closed the gap massively.

What were 360's sales when the PS3 launched? Around 6 million or so?

Majine said:
But man, 2.9 million, that really is nothing at all.
8BeFn.gif

Eliciel

PS2 sales are utterly amazing, I mean seriously a 10 year old console just moving on and on.

The PS3 is doing fine. I just looked at ******** there it says 38.9m worldwide. Interesting always thought they tend to overstate the results.

Xbox360 needs something to get a boost. Kinect needs to become a system seller because I don't see any games coming for 360 in near future except GeoW 3.

So all in all I think PS3 will be taking the lead in 2011.

gtj1092

Is this the first quarter ps3 has been the top unit mover. And how many quarters of high shipments in a row till people stop claiming possible channel stuffing. NPD doesn't equal the world and retailers won't just keep ordering a product that doesn't sell.

spwolf

Psychotext said:
Currency related charges wouldn't be included in the operating income figures we see provided for each division. They would be included for the net income figures we see for Sony as a whole though.

It's why we see it affecting Nintendo's "game division" (i.e. All of it), and not Sony's.

did i say sony gaming division? i dont think so... i said sony... and i dont see why would there be any difference anyway......

.... so sony still makes money despite the yen, eh?

gtj1092

Psychotext said:
Well... I'd have thought Sony as a whole would be sort of irrelevant on a gaming site, but fair enough. As for the difference, it's because you don't include taxes etc in operating income (unless you meant something else) / currency charges would be handled by the company as a whole.

Pretty sure MS totals sales and profits are mentioned in their thread. And in the past when sony has mentioned the yen as affecting earnings it was just seen as excuses since nintendo was still able to profit in those quarters.

gtj1092 said:
And in the past when sony has mentioned the yen as affecting earnings it was just seen as excuses since nintendo was still able to profit in those quarters.
I can't say I'm aware of those historical "excuses". I don't tend to keep up with the arguing one way or another, just the numbers. :) Nintendo did profit in the last quarter btw. So far they're just about equal for the year... with both having an unprofitable first quarter, and a profitable second...

It appears to be irrelevant anyway, I've just been reading through their quarterly release and Sony do note the effects of exchange rate fluctuation in each division.

This improvement was mainly due to a significant decrease in the cost of sales ratio coupled with an increase in gross profit from higher sales, partially offset by unfavorable foreign exchange rates.

jax (old)

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
PS3's first two years were not exactly stellar sales wise, especially the first year.

well, sony's console was too expensive, which is why the slim was introduced so early with cut down features. At the lowered price point. If they hadn't. Dead in the water. The right thing to do it seems.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jax said:
well, sony's console was too expensive, which is why the slim was introduced so early with cut down features. The right thing to do it seems.

That was not my point, my point is that the gap got wider than it was when they first launched. So, taking the number of Xbox 360 sold to date when PS3 launched does not show how much Sony had to work to close the gap.

Can there only be one dominating console each generation?

The wii is selling as good if not better than the PS2 did.

The xbox 360 and the PS3 are neck and neck like the Gamecube and Xbox.

szaromir

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
That was not my point, my point is that the gap got wider than it was when they first launched. So, taking the number of Xbox 360 sold to date when PS3 launched does not show how much Sony had to work to close the gap.
How big was the biggest difference? 7.5-8M? Was it 5 quarters ago?

PAL territories must be huge for Sony, because their Japanese and US numbers aren't too impressive. It would be coolif GFK reported their numbers every once in a while.

edit: it was 7M 5 quarters ago. So Sony on average sold 820k per quarter more PS3s than 360s, which is significant but not that huge. It'll be interesting to see what happens going forward, but I don't thiink either platform will make the other less relevant.

jax (old)

Banned
Panajev2001a said:

yes. but my comment follows on from yours and was addressing how they tried to close this gap.

Anyhow, I think the way this needs to be looked at is : multiplatform games vs installed base. Which I can't say more on because I'm not massively into sales age. I'm sure someone will

Can't wait to see if GT5 is still relevant.

Paracelsus

Jax said:
yes. but my comment follows on from yours and was addressing how they tried to close this gap.

Anyhow, I think the way this needs to be looked at is : multiplatform games vs installed base. Which I can't say more on because I'm not massively into sales age. I'm sure someone will

Can't wait to see if GT5 is still relevant.

Even if it gets half the sales of GT4 (which is unlikely) it'll still be a juggernaut compared to other PS3 first party titles, and definetely bigger than all of the biggest third party titles on PS3 except for Modern Warfare.

-viper-

Banned
GT5P (a demo) sold almost 5 million copies. I have no doubts GT5 will sell like hotcakes, assuming people still care about the franchise after all this time :p

Hydrargyrus said:
PS2 FTW

10 years after, only 1 million less than Xbox worldwide. This console in freaking awesome
Quite astonishing that the PS2 managed to outsell the 360 the first 6 months of this year.

szaromir

Banned
painful fart said:
Quite astonishing that the PS2 managed to outsell the 360 the first 6 months of this year.
I guess it's very popular in markets where consoles have not been traditionally strong. IIRC Sega Mega Drive was selling in Brazil well into the last decade. NES clones were huge in Eastern Europe well after SNES era was over. It might be the case with PS2 as well, because in US/UK/Japan it hardly moves any units anymore.

Road

marc^o^ said:
PS3 5.9

Wii 4.97

360 4.3

PS3 sold more than wii and x360 this year?!?
Not this year. This year has had 3 quarters:

Wii - 8.45
PS3 - 8.10
360 - 5.80

Averon said:
Sony is selling a lot more TVs, cameras and PCs this year than last. Any reason why?
TVs - transition to flat/HD?
Laptops - Netbooks?
Cameras - Magic?

That's some impressive stuffing of PS3 there, Sony.

Mandoric

Banned
szaromir said:
I guess it's very popular in markets where consoles have not been traditionally strong. IIRC Sega Mega Drive was selling in Brazil well into the last decade. NES clones were huge in Eastern Europe well after SNES era was over. It might be the case with PS2 as well, because in US/UK/Japan it hardly moves any units anymore.

Sony officially launched the PS2 in Brazil under a year ago. It's also honestly got a couple years to go until it trickles down into Famiclone ubiquity. It's probably going to be like the FC where they only stop making them 20 years later because there are no more chip foundries set up to produce the CPU anymore.

Road said:
Not this year. This year has had 3 quarters:

Wii - 8.45
PS3 - 8.10
360 - 5.80

Nintendo's books are also April-March, so it's almost certainly fairest to consider yearly numbers by that standard.

thuway

If Move actually makes any sort of momentum, there'll be another avenue of conscious revenue for Sony.

Next year is going to be huge:

Killzone 3
Little Big Planet 2
Infamous 2
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Resistance 3
The Last Guardian
Versus XIII in Japan (lol?)
PSP2

And than bring on 2012.... where we will no doubt hear murmurs of the PS4 :).

szaromir

Banned
Mandoric said:
Sony officially launched the PS2 in Brazil under a year ago. It's also honestly got a couple years to go until it trickles down into Famiclone ubiquity. It's probably going to be like the FC where they only stop making them 20 years later because there are no more chip foundries set up to produce the CPU anymore.
It'll be interesting to see which if any at all of the current-gen consoles has that staying power.

Omiee

thuway said:
If Move actually makes any sort of momentum, there'll be another avenue of conscious revenue for Sony.

Next year is going to be huge:

Killzone 3
Little Big Planet 2
Infamous 2
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Resistance 3
The Last Guardian
Versus XIII in Japan (lol?)
PSP2

And than bring on 2012.... where we will no doubt hear murmurs of the PS4 :).

this is excactly what i was thinking, im suprised they managed to sell so many consoles this last quarter and software.
if they can get a nice boost from move and GT5 this holiday season, and start off 2011 good with LBP2 and killzone 3 they might be in a real good situation to brake the 15 million consoles sold or exceed it and post a nice profit over the whole fiscal year.
thats without maybe a 50 $ price cut in fall of 2011 and with some nice games coming out next year.
they sure have the momentum they just have to try not to screw it up

Post-slim PS3 seems like a totally different system, not bad at all. Great software tie ratios despite big hardware sales as well.

PSP :/

PS2 software sales are just mindboggling.

Top Bottom